Rat-Attack-Tack In Warhammer: End Times – Vermintide

Gillen on the right there.

While I’ve always felt a keener tie to its spacebound, power-armoured cousin, as a British Man I am unable to deny the pull of Warhammer. Vermintide [official site] is the latest in an increasingly (troublingly?) long list of tie-in games to the tabletop fantasy universe. A sort’ve Left 5 Skaven, you and some co-op buddies take the role of the last defenders of Ubersreik, a city invaded and occupied by the ratkin hordes during one of the setting’s many apocalypses. GDC trailer showing the first glimpses of actual rat-biffing below.

Though I’d much prefer to be a member of the filthy writhing horde – much more relatable – this could be a hoot if they pull it off. Masses of Skaven poring into the streets, overly large weapons, exaggerated decapitation, everyone having a bloody good time. You’ll be questing through the city and eventually into the rat tunnels themselves, hopefully to then encounter some of the larger denizens of Skaven civilization. Be sure to ask Kieron about those.

There’s a bit of pedigree behind it too. Developers Fatshark Entertainment, as well as being the best named studio on Earth, were behind the Adam-appreciated War of the Vikings [official site] from last year. Release is currently planned for the second half of this year.

1. sendmark says:

Really hoping it’s good, skaven + first person melee seems a can’t fail idea.

2. zentropy says:

Gotta love that title format. I guess, it didn’t stop them vampires a while back though. ^^

3. Morph says:

Well I’m sold already.

4. Creeping Death says:

I really want this to be good, but… fatshark.

Not to say they make BAD games, exactly. More that their games dont retain the numbers needed for this kind of mp co-op very well. Who knows, maybe this will be the one.

• Thurgret says:

War of the Roses was pretty bad.

• Kurremkarmerruk says:

They refined War of Roses into War of the Vikings which was pretty awesome. Not sure if people are still playing it but there was a strong community for quite a long time. They definitely have the skill to do first-person melee and this just looks like a perfect next step for them (while still remaining mostly inside the box, i suppose).

5. The_invalid says:

Anybody else getting some serious Dark Messiah vibes off this? Looks really good.

• klops says:

Yeah. One thing I really liked in DMoMM that I’d appreciate in many other games are the colours beyond grey and brown – you could even see BLUE sky in it. This looks like Mordheim which looks like bllllgh. The world of HoMM and Warhamer do use pretty different palettes but still – “It has swords, it has castles – we need a grey filter”
      Blllgh.

Still, the gameplay feels promising.

• The_invalid says:

Wouldn’t be Warhammer without intense levels of grimdark I suppose…

• klops says:

That’s the thing also – it’s not Dark (like darkness-dark). It’s grey. Instead of daylight and dark night we get a grey filtered no-colour land. The top picture with Gillen on right looks like it’s taken through sunglasses. Bllllgh.

It’s in no way this game’s problem alone. Perhaps it would be cool if seen first here but “the colourless medieval times” as a rule in pop culture is something I can’t understand. And by not understanding I mean I loathe it. Boring.

Phasma Felis says:

The funny thing is, Warhammer is dark and gritty in tone, but in visual aesthetic it’s traditionally resembled an explosion at the rainbow factory. The painting section of any given army book is a florist’s shop of bright, shiny liveries.

• Ross Angus says:

[raises hand]

This is, of course, a good thing.

6. The Walrus says:

“Hello, my name is: Kieron. Ask me about Rat Ogres!”

7. Blackcompany says:

That…looked extremely fun. If only Skyrim had combat like that; you’d have to drag me away from it.

8. Gorillion says:

Just praying it’s not f2p and filled with XP boosts

9. Buuurr says:

I hope this is great. It about time someone is making this type of game again. Dark, gritty, hordes, weapons and blood… I sure hope it is good.

10. Wonderboy2402 says:

I am going to follow this game because I like the setting and it looks fun. But keep in mind it is limited to coop and I don’t believe they mention it having a single player? So it is exclusively coop, which I hope the price point will match.

• Wonderboy2402 says:

Meant to also say no Versus mode is pretty disappointing., considering the comparison to l4d.

11. BariumBlue says:

Why are the streets so clean? I’m not sure why but it really bothered me; it’s obviously supposed to look like the slums, I doubt Skaven are cleanly creatures, and no one’s going to be going around picking up trash. Seriously, those cobblestones are frickin pristine.

Other than that, yes, looks reminiscent of Dark Messiah, but that game’s focus on environment and kicking people into spikes probably served it better. The fact that a hit doesn’t faze you at all at 0:35 implies that it’s more a ‘hack and slash’ than a tactical combat game.

12. Pantalaimon says:

Is it actually going to be a game in the vein of Shadow of Mordor or Dead Rising where it’s open world, and you’re fighting endless hordes of skaven? Or is it actually just a linear adventure game?

The first game actually sounds great, I would play the hell out of a game that did this kind of ‘endless’ cooperative experience properly.

• Blackcompany says:

That makes two of us. Put combat like this into an open world RPG with co-op and I would lose myself in it for hours. And my girl, who is an avid Borderlands co-op fan, would likely enjoy it as well. Why is it so difficult for developers to understand that we want a game like this with co-op?

• LexW1 says:

I don’t think the issue is lack of understanding, but rather technology.

The technology/software involved in making an open-world game multiplayer is massively more involved than making a linear-ish game multiplayer. That’s not to say it wouldn’t be awesome, it would and it will eventually happen, but it’s not just a trivial decision, or something that can casually be added to a genuine open-world game (it’s a bit easier if you make one player the “lead” and force the rest to stay within a radius of him).

13. HyenaGrin says:

On the one hand, I guess i have to give them some credit for using Skaven as a generic enemy instead of one of the more, uh, ‘obvious’ horde-type factions from Warhammer.

But the other hand is clenched in an angry fist because I, like Ben, would rather play as the Skaven. =I

14. sapien82 says:

It looks so much fun smashing in some vermin heads with a warhammer !

Not only that is I cant wait to take on a skaven giants, ogres ! those things are huge !

Also I couldn’t help but notice, warhammer mordheim ,is like one skin job away from being Necromunda
    so why hasnt anyone made a game about hive prime , how amazing would that be !
    having your own gangers

15. Skaz says:

Can’t wait for the sequel with undeads.
    UNDEADTIDES.

I can be a dwarf? Ok, sold.

16. cpt_freakout says:

But can you kick them into spikes? That is the question.

17. Wowbagger says:

I would rather be a Skaven killing the filthy humans to be honest.

18. Zekiel says:

I’ll take your word for it. Video was so grimdark that I couldn’t see anything. The sound made it appear lots of skaven-splatting was going on though.

19. Uboa Noticed You says:

Did anyone get a huge Left 4 Dead vibe from this? Even the UI is remarkably similar.

Not that that’s a bad thing, of course!