Metal Gear Online Explained, PC Phantom Pain Delayed

Aw, buddies!

Good news first, RPS: there’s a commentated version of the trailer for the Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain [official site] online component, Metal Gear Online. It shows off a (highly scripted) 8v8 round of play in a one-sided CTF style game mode of “get the item and get out.” The new commentary explains some of the gadgets and devices shown last year.

Bad but typical news: while the simultaneous global release date for MGS5 is September 1st, that’s only for yir auld console-box. We’ll be waiting until the 15th to sneak up on it via Steam. There’s been no explanation as to why this is.

Using my elite knowledge of the Metal Gear universe (I have played the fantastic Revengeance and a couple of hours of MGS4, where I didn’t get the poop jokes but it seemed alright) I’ve determined that the device used to get behind the mech is likely a player-to-player teleport. Team mates set up a receiver and you use an item at your end to get straight to them. The “distinct paint” on the shields is probably some sort of single-player spoiler.

Here’s the details on how to purchase MGS5 and what you’ll get with it, along with a handy chart to keep track of the extras. I feel like something went wrong somewhere if you need that to track the day one DLC from your paid for demo, collector’s editions, special editions and digital editions.

Oh, the video that leaked earlier this week is now officially online too, via IGN. It includes more details on parts of the single-player mode and how it will integrate with online services to provide co-op and PvP.

1. Penguin_Factory says:

The delay is disappointing, but it’s only two weeks. I can wait.

Ground Zeroes was a fantastic PC port, so I hope the full game follows the same path.

• Shadow says:

Agreed on both counts.

The delay was sort of expected. Two weeks when it could’ve been two months, or more, considering the Ground Zeroes delay between consoles and PC.

• Heliocentric says:

I’m going to be waiting longer than 2 weeks anyway WHAT WHAT get off the hype train, Steam sale time!

2. Luminolza says:

Always nice to take a selfie when strangling someone.

• LionsPhil says:

Who doesn’t get their good buddy into a headlock with their cold, relentless robotic arm first?

• Anthile says:

Ah, the infamous tactical selfie stick. Outlawed in 198 nations and only used by the most ruthless of operators.

• Bugamn says:

Tactical selfie stick? That is one man that uses his own hands to do his dirty work.

• Kefren says:

The arm position suggests choke rather than strangle.

3. DanMan says:

70€ ? Nopedy, nope.

• rexx.sabotage says:

nope, nope, nope, nope all the way to the nope bank to make a whopping deposit of fifty billion nopes.

• Synesthesia says:

What?!

• DanMan says:

NSIS, but that’s the price point it’ll release at. Yes, on PC.

• Kitsunin says:

Er, I’m pretty sure that’s false. Their website says $60/£45, and Amazon has the same listed for the PS4 version.

4. Monggerel says:

Color me bubblegum pink.
    Not for any particular reason, I just really always wanted pink hair.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Had bright pink hair for awhile when I was younger, funnily enough.
      Wasn’t AIMING for pink, but I actually did quite like it, if only out of self-defence.

5. ElVaquero says:

Every time I think I should properly get into the MGS series or even start with this one, I just remember “bomb in vagina” and tiptoe back from that idea.

Lexx87 says:

Whaaaat – that needs more explanation I think

• SuicideKing says:

That was basically MGS5:GZ’s plot, from what I read.

• Bradamantium says:

Ground Zeroes’ plot revolves around rescuing a character from another MGS game. It was all a trap, and there’s a bomb in her. Snake removes it, and she references another bomb. Its placement is ambiguous only in terms of “Well, she didn’t say WHERE they shoved it.”

MGS as a series has never been irritatingly grimdark, so I hope that was a weird misfired outlier rather than an indication of where Kojima’s going to take the full game.

• Timbrelaine says:

Wow. The series weak point has always been the writing, but this is a new low. Makes me miss the relative restraint of MGS1 and 3. I’ll probably skip Phantom Pain; maybe one day MGS will be less insane, or a different series will take up the stealth game banner.

• Oakreef says:

I have a love hate relationship with the series. I love playing them (they generally have really interesting interaction with environment and enemies and just more detail in player interaction than most other action games) but I really don’t like Kojima’s writing and there is a lot of writing to sit through.

• jorygriffis says:

MGS4 was the last I played with any interest in the story and it was a huge mistake. Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes I played just for the gameplay, and they’re tons of fun. The grossness of both (especially the aforementioned grossness with Paz from GZ) is increasingly hard to ignore, but I don’t want to let Kojima’s horrible, horrible writing ruin the brilliant work they seem to be doing in TPP. In that regard it’s gonna be GTAV all over again.

Henke says:

Clearly my mind isn’t dirty enough, I always thought it was in her head.

• RARARA says:

Yes, your mind is probably not nearly >as perverted as Kojima‘s.

• RARARA says:

He’s been ruining the mood of his games with his juvenile sexual humor since the early 90s.

• Shadow says:

“Bomb shoved up vagina” is neither humorous nor juvenile. It’s twisted, particularly when combined with the exceedingly grotesque bit that precedes that (the removal of the bomb in her guts). And I find it quite disturbing that I can’t fathom any point to it. I suppose it’s either a terrible attempt at shock value, or some really, really dark fetish.

• RARARA says:

Yes, that was poorly worded on my part.

6. ffordesoon says:

Clearly, Kojima talked to his buddies at Ubisoft about PC ports.

7. Askis says:

So buying the base edition on PC is 70€ and all the physical and most of the digital extra goodies are exclusive to consoles?
    Excuse my french but “fuck off” is the only thing that comes to mind.

8. lordfrikk says:

Yeah, no at that price.

9. amateurviking says:

I’ve been playing through the HD collection on PS3 the past couple of weekends. I’m so conflicted about this series. For every impossible high (The End and climbing a ladder in MGS3 etc) there is 3 hours of clunky dialogue and/or (usually and) a tonne of eyerolling nonsense (e.g. Within ten minutes of starting Peacewalker I got to see a traumatised 16 yo girl in her smalls (the same one with a SNuke in her snitch in MGSV [see above]: FFS Kojima-san).

• Qazi says:

Traumatised. Sixteen. Don’t get played like a fiddle, a-viking.

• Bradamantium says:

I used to worship MGS as a series because it was just so intelligent. Years later, I realized I had mistaken talking a lot for intelligence. I forgive Kojima his writing because it DOES have its bright spots, and the series is still excellent in terms of the possibilities allowed through pure play.

10. helmickdarian says:

My last pay check was $ 9500 working 10 hours a week online. My Friend’s has been averaging 14k for months now and she works about 21 hours a week. I can’t believe how easy it was once I tried it out
    OPEN THIS LINK IN YOUR BROWSER,,,,