Oodles Of Old Blood: An Hour Of Wolfenstein

Extremely hot pipe on Nazi action.

Wolfenstein [official site] ranks as one of the best and biggest surprises of last year, stretching beyond its source material to offer a romp through wonderfully designed levels, non-linear stealth, and even a plot that strayed into unfamiliar territory like “heart-warming” and “actually funny.” More, then, is what we wanted and what Bethesda intend to supply with The Old Blood, a smaller standalone prequel coming in May. PAX East hosted the first public play session and it was all streamed on Twitch. Check it out below.

I will happily take more of the same with a bit of spice. It all comes down to length now. The $20 price tag and digital only release, along with shorter dev time means something less substantial than The New Order, but The Old Blood will need to be meaty enough to let you experiment with new toys. Given the setting and BJ’s solo nature, it’s unlikely the hub area of the first game will make a return. Or that there’ll be quite as many cutscenes.

Interesting too to hear about the challenges of shipping on five platforms and how difficult it was compared to this digital-only, PC and new-gen exclusive. While the slow phasing outĀ of the 360 and PS3 won’t effect us directly, it’s possible we’ll see an uptick in graphical quality as teams are spread less thin and don’t have to compromise for decade-old technology.

I’m saving myself for release, but there was a second livestream if you’d like more Old Blood in your veins. Game’s out May 5th.

1. RaoulDuke says:

I quite liked the pootering about in safe zones and optional content, made the story feel a lot more real, rather than just level after level after level. Many people seem to dislike/couldn’t see the point of the down-time sections, according to comments I’ve read recently on Old Blood videos.

Did anyone elese like them? I effing loved that game, it was EXACTLY what I want from an FPS – the secrets + the gunplay + the stealth [slightly janky in a couple of parts but i forgive it] + the upgrades + everything was great.

• Ben Barrett says:

Yeah, I liked the downtime as well (though thought it maybe needed more things to do). It was a very good FPS. Really loved the stealth, for some reason.

• trueGamer says:

Totally! Constant Rambo shooting just gives shell shock. The pacing is what makes a great shooter game imho. Wolfenstein TNO did it very well. Best FPS I played in years.

• Kreeth says:

Yeah, I very much enjoyed bodding about the base in TNO – really gave an edge to the latter stages of the game as well I thought.

• felisc says:

Agreed, downtime was welcomed, the beautiful music in the homebase played a part in that.

• haradaya says:

It was only in my attempted replay it became less welcome. I had already explored every cranny of the hub, and just wanted to get on to the stealth and action.

• Samuel Bass says:

I really enjoyed those bits – was a nice break from the shooty / stabby sections, gave me room to breathe and get to know the characters. Then again, I’m a sucker for a cosy, explorable hub world (see also…Dishonored).

I loved TNO for all the reasons you mentioned, was one of my favorite games of last year.

Really well written, too, which it doesn’t get nearly enough kudos for. Struck a great balance between b-movie camp and drama, every character felt like a real person and the cinematics were genuinely, well, cinematic.

2. Bull0 says:

Is it that unrealistic to expect something of a decent length given that it’s a tech re-use sequel? $40 game being a whole lot of development and content, and $20 game being potentially very little development and content?

• Samuel Bass says:

Well, they’re still going to have to make all that new art / audio / animation etc., but yeah, I’m also hoping for a good few hours of Nazi shooting for my dollar.

• Ben Barrett says:

Decent length? Sure. Equal to TNO, I wouldn’t. I’m looking at 6 hours or so, I’d hope.