Gamer’s Edition Lets Indies Design And Ship CEs

Better than gamer emissions, believe me.

I’ve been a fan of lovely game-related tat in oversized boxes for some time, so here’s a thing that’s cool to me. RPS allies Gamer Network have announced a service for helping independent developers to create AAA-tier collector’s editions called Gamer’s Edition [official website]. They’re partnering up with Idea Planet Collectibles to allow devs and their fans to set the specifications and then crowdfund a one-off production load through pre-orders. The first games to get the GE treatment will be Papers, Please and a double pack of Hotline Miami and its sequel.

Here’s the official blurb:

Each Gamer’s Edition is built around one-of-a-kind collectibles, which are developed in close collaboration with the game’s developers and community and produced to order in one-off production runs. The crowdfunded pre-order system means that production commences only when there are enough orders to cover the manufacturing costs. By creating every package to order, Gamer’s Edition can deliver truly individual items directly to fans and enable independent game creators to offer collector’s editions that rival the biggest console releases. In addition, the platform offers great business value to developers as it avoids the typical production costs associated with releasing a collector’s edition.

While it won’t be for everyone, there’s an entire business based around high end goodies of this sort and nerds the world over absolutely love it. I could see myself going in for a Binding of Isaac: Rebirth GE, with the right items – dead crow, actual poop and the tears of a small child. Joking aside, games already as large as these are going to be the ones you see using this service, due to the numbers involved. Don’t expect one for every £5 project you pick up on Steam, or to be able to make it happen for your own first games.

Here’s the Papers, Please version, which’ll go for $70 (around £45):

And the Hotline Miami one, which is $60 (£40):

They’re each available for a month and need 1,500 and 2,500 orders respectively to get made. The prices are actually lower than I expected, not that much more than your average big budget game on release. This will vary by quality and quantity of addons, of course.

What would you like to see, RPS? Toy Audiosurf jet? Real actual giant talking Transistor sword? Official Thomas Was Alone brick? You can let them know here.

Top comments

1. Chaz says:

Euro Truck Simulator 2: A-Road Edition

Contents include:
    4 empty crushed cans of Redbull
    A clear plastic 1 litre bottle, half full with a nondescript yellow liquid.
    2 Jazz mags (well thumbed with several pages stuck together).
    Some scrunched kitchen foil containing a half eaten bacon and sausage sarnie.
    All the above contents presented in a plain white plastic carrier bag.
  1. Chaz says:

I’d like a copy of Elite Dangerous, with extra content IN the game.

2. phelix says:

I need that Glory to Arstotzka poster in my life.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

I’m trying to get rid of most of my old edition-editions plastic crap just sucking up useless space for up to two decades. But that Papers Please pack is sooo sweet :'(

link to vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net
      I’m surprised that they didn’t include the (two?) awards though since it’s just a printed piece of paper.
      (at least it’s small enough to print yourself and frame it if you want to show off your sufficience).

3. Chaz says:

Euro Truck Simulator 2: A-Road Edition

Contents include:
    4 empty crushed cans of Redbull
    A clear plastic 1 litre bottle, half full with a nondescript yellow liquid.
    2 Jazz mags (well thumbed with several pages stuck together).
    Some scrunched kitchen foil containing a half eaten bacon and sausage sarnie.
    All the above contents presented in a plain white plastic carrier bag.

4. Ross Angus says:

I found a copy of Gone Home in a second-hand shop the other day. I had no idea it got a physical release.

Unfortunately, it didn’t come with a Riot Grrl compact-cassette compilation.

5. Rao Dao Zao says:

I’m not much into all the collectibles, but physical boxes with printed manuals (maybe even a printed map if appropriate) would be nice.

6. Monggerel says:

what do you mean “tat” this is quality product

7. All is Well says:

I’d like a Mountain mountain, a physical reproduction in a flower pot. Complete with mini tree-like plants and an assortment of plastic objects you can chuck at it.

• All is Well says:

I just realized I can make this myself in like 10 minutes.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Get some of that green foam that goes in the bottom of a pot of plastic flowers.

8. jrodman says:

Wot’s a CE?

Harlander says:

It’s a reference to Cake’s album Comfort Eagle.

Either that, or Collector’s Edition.

9. Press X to Gary Busey says:

…and then their inbox was flooded with requests of dismembered plastic female torsos in bikinis.

10. MadTinkerer says:

For Dragon Age 3, can I have a version that doesn’t require Origin?

11. Emeraude says:

I’m really liking the idea that this is becoming a thing.

Mostly because I’ve been predicting it would for some time, and feels validated, by it happening but still.

Seriously though, if they can keep it DRM free, I think this is a cool thing.

• pepperfez says:

All three of their featured games are DRM-free on GoG and Humble, so I assume the DVD versions will be as well.
      Huh. I just looked again, and Papers, Please doesn’t even include a physical copy. That’s an odd, disappointing choice.

12. nillenille says:

Not cool to feature content from your advertisers in the editorial column.

Ninja Dodo says:

Eurogamer handles the advertising for RPS and Eurogamer is owned by Gamer Network. This relationship is disclosed in the opening paragraph with “RPS allies Gamer Network have announced… “. The juxtaposition looks odd at first glance maybe but “not cool” is a bit of a stretch. Either way, looks like an interesting service that people would like (and thus is worth posting about).

Personally I’ve always thought Collectors Editions should come after release once the quality and significance of a game is known. I don’t really buy boxed games anymore but if I did there are a number of classic games that I would love to have complete with art books, posters, maps, manuals and other extras.

• pepperfez says:

Collusion! Coercion! Corrosion! Contusion! Conclusion!

13. April March says:

I’m torn between thinking special editions are rather silly and thinking that that Papers, Please box is just like WHOA.

Then again, the worst thing about special editions is that they are almost always exclusive for preorder. “I don’t know if I’ll like this game, but I’m sure I’m willing to pay five times as much for a statuette of a character that I just might end up hating/feeling completely indifferent towards/not even remembering because its role has been greatly diminished from the version of the game that was first being hyped!” Then again again, it looks like the crowdfunding model this thing will provide will go towards replicating this model for indies?

14. Tacroy says:

Shipping is an extra $15, so that’s where they’re hiding a lot of the costs.