Battlefield: Hardline Trailer Launches Rockets, Cars, Game

Getaway care held aloft by power of friendship.

Whatever to do about a game like Battlefield: Hardline [official site]? I had a lot of hope for it to begin with, slowly chipped away by a disappointing beta and unenthusiastic previews. It was a great opportunity for either some introspection on the nature of law enforcement (unlikely) or a 70s buddy cop style tale about half a city getting blown up to stop some robbers. Trailers have taken themselves too seriously and the multiplayer didn’t seem to want to scale down to its new setting, instead feeling like an urban map pack for an older game. But hope(line) springs eternal: the launch trailer, embedded below, ahead of release on March 20th is bombastic, fun and almost too sweary even for me.

The barest hint of a sense of humour, then. That’s healthy – I’m not convinced you can just port a po-faced Call of Duty/Band of Brothers war story to the streets of Large City, America for the same effect. Even something as fantastic and dark as The Shield (which shares equally excellent actor Benito Martinez with Hardline) gave way to the odd joke every episode. This paragraph is now about The Shield. You really, really should watch The Shield, it very quickly rose to be one of my favourite TV shows of all time. Superb storylines with brilliant actors and a real indie-comics level of grit throughout. [That final episode though… Boo – TV Ed]

Where were we? Battlefield. In his preview last month, Brendy mentioned that the travelling control point mode Hotwire might be the saving grace of Hardline’s multiplayer. It does sound fantastic, all the fun of attack/defense without battles always occuring at the same point on maps. A welcome half-way point between the cyclical back stabbing of deathmatch and the camping of regular CP. I’m hoping deathmatch will be able to emulate the fantastic Bad Company 2, smaller maps with full destruction and limited vehicles.

Hardline’s coming to PC on March 20th, via Origin. You can almost certainly get it for less than fifty quid somewhere.

1. stonetoes says:

I’ve never watched the Shield, but I’ve heard that it’s pretty hard to get into if you don’t buy the main character’s sob story of “I only do bad things to provide for my disabled son.”

Thoughts anyone?

• kmann74 says:

That’s not why Vic does the things he does. He says that but i never got the feeling that he believed it. Great show though. I have watched it when it aired and went back and rewatched the whole thing. Still held up years later and i felt it had a perfect ending.

• iucounu says:

Yeah, it’s not really that. that’s just his rationalization. It’s an absolute cracker of a show about a charismatic monster who poisons everything around him.

• iucounu says:

Just coming back with another stray thought: they say that to in order to write a great villain, the villain has to believe that they’re the hero of the story; The Shield is the set text for that, I think. (Well, it was until Breaking Bad came along.)

• airmikee says:

My first thought was of Breaking Bad when I read the first comment. Walter says he’s trying to provide for his family, but I think it’s more about his newfound power over other people, something he sorely lacked even as a high school teacher.

• Ben Barrett says:

Dunno who told you that, but nah. Very early spoilers I guess, but he and his team do plenty of awful shit before he finds out about his son.

2. BrickedKeyboard says:

Meh. The game isn’t made to play like anything remotely resembling anything kinda sorta resembling a police standoff. Both sides get military vehicles and weapons which respawn, soldiers on both sides can run much faster than they really can, and when I played it, it was a perpetual spamfast with lots of hackers aimbotting everyone.

3. SuicideKing says:

I’ve given up on CoD/BF entirely at this point, and can’t really care about it anymore. Borderlands 2 and Arma 3 satisfy my FPS itches for now, and I’ve slowly grown more fond of turn-based strategy. When I really want to play a crazy FPS with interesting controls, I play Dark Forces.

• rcguitarist says:

I’m with you there. I play them during the steam free weekends but that’s it. They are always just the same thing over and over again with the one one exception being that they seem to get worse and worse.

4. Distec says:

I’ll just say, straight up: If anybody ever entertained the idea that Battlefield series would take an “introspective look” at anything, they were definitely setting up their own disappointment there. :)

I’m a little surprised it’s coming out at all with the current climate and feelings regarding law enforcement (least in the States). But I guess costs have to be recouped. And outside of some vocal folks online concerned about depictions of militarized police, I don’t think the average purchaser is going to care about that limp connection.

• Buuurr says:

Did I miss something? Isn’t 1996 and the ‘games are bad and causing all the violence in the U.S. days’ over? Any lout would see that this is a BF game and has no basis on reality. Outside of Democratic crowd pushers I don’t think anyone makes any connection.

• Distec says:

I’ve seen a fair few hand-wringing articles/comments about whether depicting police in this fashion is problematic.

It’s not so much that it would cause violence, but that it would “reinforce societal norms and reflects an apathy towards real-world police militarization” or whatever. I guess that makes sense if you look at Hardline with the same lens that views Cal of Duty as western jingoist propaganda or some bullshit. Not a massive outcry, mind you; Hardline seems like a mediocre game first and foremost. But the sentiment is there. These kinds of concerns about how games affect/reflect society seem to be our zeitgeist at the moment.

5. rcguitarist says:

I played the last beta and I agree that the hotwire mode was the only mode I actually enjoyed. All of the other modes were either boring or just felt like a more restricted and less cool Battlefield 4. But hotwire mode alone wont be enough to keep this game interesting long enough for it to be worth $60, and by the time it gets down to the price it is worth ($15), hardly anyone will be playing it anymore.
    Despite what EA says, this game is in fact a reskinned Battlefield 4. It looks, plays and feels exactly the same. Only the presence of police cars/sirens reminded me that I wasn’t playing battlefield 4.

6. CookPassBabtridge says:

I will just wait for the demo version to come out on steam right guys right guys what why are you staring at me like that

7. OmNomNom says:

This will be the first Battlefield game i have ever not purchased. So I’m disappointed for sure.

It’s not that the game is that bad it just relies on gimmicks and shallow play modes. It just doesn’t feel like it’s had a full development cycle, more of a ‘let’s see what we can put together in a few months with the assets we have’. I could see myself enjoying it for a week or two but it would probably start getting pretty dry after that.

Every BF game does something well, they just haven’t managed to put it all together into the same package unfortunately. Id really love it if there was some competition in the large scale team FPS genre but nothing has really ever given BF a run for its money. I suppose i still have some hope in Battlefront anyway…

8. amateurviking says:

Early contender for most culturally tone deaf game of the year/decade/ever?

• Blackcompany says:

Yes, and to the point of utter tastelessness to boot. It will probably “win” that “award” hands down.

• Muthabuffer says:

Oh please do elaborate on your point.