Indies Crash E3: Making E3 A Little More Indie

I don’t enjoy E3. It’s a vast sprawling convention of monstrous noise and giant corporations, furiously trying to out bass each other in an attempt to hawk their AAA wares. The first time I went, my shoes literally fell to pieces, my feet more blister than skin, as I trudged through the morbid streets of LA to my ant-infested hotel room, writing up the screaming madness I’d seen each day.

And one thing you don’t tend to see at E3 is indies. Which makes me very glad that Indies Crash E3 [Kickstarter] exists. In 2013 they paid the way for a number of indie teams to be able to present their games within the corporate madness, and they’re after (an extremely small amount of) money, to see if they can do it again.

45,000 people parade through the screaming halls of E3 each year, which is a lot of potential eyes for smaller games. It’s also a good way for the developers to meet publishers, or other influential types. Certainly events like PAX make this slightly easier, but my goodness, it would make E3 a nicer place to be.

The $4,000 goal gets passes for five independent developers, but obviously there are hopes of raising more. Should they see $10,000 come in, that affords the project a proper booth at the event. Last time they managed to get sited next to Nintendo, and clearly there’s a desire to see something similar happen here. Hit $30k and they’ll look to produce swag for the indies to give away, as well as obviously take a lot more people over.

E3 are apparently very supportive of the initiative, which is splendid news. All they need now is for people to give them money.

1. Chuckleluck says:

“my shoes literally fell to pieces, my feet more blister than skin, as I trudged through the morbid streets of LA to my ant-infested hotel room, writing up the screaming madness I’d seen each day.”

Isn’t that every gaming convention? (Minus the LA part)

sicanshu says:

You know, it’s really a shame that Hunter Thompson died without ever getting into video game reporting. I’d completely back a campaign to send a lunatic to E3 with a head full of psychedelics.

3. LionsPhil says:

I think the problem with this is that it only legitimizes E3 as being something worth paying attention to.

4. Jamesac68 says:

“And one thing you don’t tend to see at E3 is indies.” That doesn’t sound much like the E3 I go to every year. Last year I got to play Oculus Rift SuperHOT, the full slate of Devolver Digital games- Titan Souls, The Talos Principle, Hatoful Boyfriend, Broforce, Heavy Bullets, Not a Hero, and Hotline Miami 2, then the indie megabooth’s Read Only Memories, Cave! Cave! Deus Videt, Choice Chamber, Glorkian Warrior, Please Be Nice, Road Not Taken, and a pile more at the MIX party that doesn’t technically count as E3 so I won’t mention them here. I also got to see The Golf Club, Lucky’s Tale, Hyper Light Drifter, Ori and the Lost Forest, Habitat, and others I’ve forgotten because it’s been almost a year. In other years I’ve seen a prototype version of Scale and an early Gravity Ghost. The indies have always been at E3, and I’m sorry but they’re not that hard to find.

• PancakeWizard says:

Also, indies being such a huge presence at every other event/con on the calender makes this seem a little obnoxious.

• PancakeWizard says:

..and I feel like we are waaaay past the “poor indies, those gems never get seen/coverage!” era.

5. April March says:

That was a brilliant opening paragraph.

6. MadTinkerer says:

“And one thing you don’t tend to see at E3 is indies.”

Actually, they’re all over the place. Next time you go, try to get a normal badge instead of a press badge. Then you’ll only be allowed to go to the same places the Indies are. Sure, there will be plenty of folks from larger companies throughout the crowd, but there will be Indies and students and others there. Keep an eye out for things that are obviously being barely tolerated by the folks in charge, like some guy you’ve definitely never interviewed managed to get permission to set up his laptop in a corner somewhere, but he doesn’t have a full booth. Or you know, the whole Indiecade booth by definition (if they’re there again this year).

It’s not PAX or MAGFest, but E3 still gets plenty of Indie attention. You just have to look where all the sound and fury are not happening.

7. wombat says:

While I like the concept of Indies crash E3, I really don’t get why they are kickstarting it. Consumers need to pay for games to be advertised to them…?

• Distec says:

If it can be Kickstarted, it probably will be. Doesn’t matter why, is what I’m starting to feel.

8. NotToBeLiked says:

Never been to E3, but I’m quite sure I’ve seen a lot of indie-news come out of the last couple of E3 shows… Heck, the last E3 Sony press conferences always had a whole section dedicated to the indie games coming out on their platforms.
    Also, E3 is supposed to be a industry trade show getting developers, publishers and press to mingle. It’s not really supposed to be for consumers. Small indie teams who self-publish their games really shouldn’t spend money on getting a booth at E3 (even when that booth is partially sponsored by a Kickstarter) because they don’t need the publishers and there are better ways to get their games known to the public (PAX-shows being a great example, conventions which are aimed at the public). So this Kickstarter is a waste of money, if you want to support indie games, buy some more indie games with that money.