Cross Foes & Catapults: Reign Of Kings Launched

Mmmm, videogames

With Steam down this morning, I’m not able to take a closer look at the freshly released Reign Of Kings [official site], but I can share the rather entertaining trailer with you. It involves catapults knocking down castle walls, angry men waving swords, and heads being chopped off. A fairly typical Thursday at RPS HQ.

Inspired, developers Codehatch say, by Chivalry and Rust, this multiplayer skirmish looks to have a rather pleasingly chunky feel of battle, with shouty men roaring their way through castle walls, after the block-built constructions have been knocked down by flung rocks.

You know what it reminds me of? Crossbows & Catapults! Oh my, I loved that game. In fact, I was recently trying to find a copy, but it’s no longer being manufactured! I continue to scour charity shops, rather than pay outrageous second hand fees. But it will be mind again. (Also, the police will soon be investigating what my parents did with my old box of it.)

But, er, back to Reign Of Kings. The launched version includes:

· A melee and ranged combat system (including de-limbing/decapitation and swordplay)
· Siege warfare (fully-functional trebuchets and ballistas)
· Unique player capture options (drag by rope or shackles)
· Extensive character customization
· Resource gathering
· Block-based building system
· Medieval-style justice on the gallows, stocks, and the guillotine (and death by stoning)

I’m not entirely convinced how much I wish to see death by stoning depicted, especially since there are people dying that way rather too often around the world at the moment, but that’s me. But the rest sounds fun! No idea if it actually is, at this point. But the game’s out now, and once Steam wakes up it’ll be here.

1. Spacewalk says:

Take THAT nature!

• Shadowcat says:

Because in nature steam goes up, not down?

(Were people unable to run games? Or just unable to install them?)

2. Funso Banjo says:

A lot more people die by knife thrust than stoning around the world, I imagine. But none of us have a problem with that, John.

• stonetoes says:

Yeah, but it’s more akin to death by torture than execution. Personally, I really hate when torture appears in my video games.

• AbsoluteShower says:

Im ok with torture, as these are just mannequins. I don’t think death by stabbing is usually quick or painless either though.

• Guzzleguts says:

I’m confident that anyone who has been a victim of knife crime would have a problem IF medieval combat particularly resembled the experience, which I suspect it does not.
      Also, knife crime conjures either random muggings or gang violence. Both of these have have far less upsetting connotations than stoning which is being used to execute people for crimes including adultery, homosexuality and apostasy.
      It is annoying to have to explain these basic things because you have chosen to forgo context, empathy and imagination simply to make a cheap shot at John Walker.
      A very, very cheap shot.

• dvorhagen says:

Agree. Willfully obtuse, and especially pointless considering John dedicated precisely one sentence to gently registering his personal discomfort at the idea (while qualifying it with “but that’s me”).

• Axess Denyd says:

Also, knife crime conjures either random muggings or gang violence.

Rwanda, anyone?

Any kind of realistic violence is probably going to be unpleasant to watch. It probably should be.

• AbsoluteShower says:

Unpleasant to watch? Possibly, buy then again, I like gore. I’d like to see a renaissance in gaming violence. Mortal Kombat is cartoon super-violence, and that’s ok, but show me the gritty stuff too.

Give me the Lucio Fulci of games!

• Graith says:

John Walker is the master of cheap shots. So I do not see the problem here…

• Ztox says:

I couldn’t care less what offensive/unsettling things are in my video games, they are video games. Nothing in them is real, graphically depicted or not…

• Ztox says:

^This is just my opinion, please don’t flame me for it.

On topic, the decap’s in this game look hilarious.

Skabooga says:

Most def. Many things will be fine for some people but too far for others. Everyone draws their line in a different place, but as long as we’re all cool with having different lines and don’t try to pillory each other for it, I think we can make it work.

Although, for the record, medieval style judicial systems might be a bit too much for me. But I’m totally cool with other people getting down with them.

• DrollRemark says:

Having no empathy sure must be awesome.

• ribby says:

@Drollremark

Don’t be a jerk

• AbsoluteShower says:

He never said he didn’t have empathy, just that he didn’t fell it towards games. You went a bit far there.

• Graith says:

Bro. Grow a pair. Either that or hug a pinless grenade.

3. big boy barry says:

Haha crossbows and catapults, truly a game my cat had as much fun with as me

4. Duke Nukem says:

Is this the same Code Hatch that left StarForge unfinished?

• BlueBanana says:

They are. Not a trustworthy dev. I wonder if John looked up what CH did before when writing this article.

• wengart says:

Okay, I thought I recognized the block building style in use. I would definitely recommend not buying this game based on Starforge.

• oyog says:

Oh great, now you’ve drudged up my backers remorse. Can’t believe I spent money on that game. Aw well. Lesson learned.

• AbsoluteShower says:

Wow, thanks for the warning. Will avoid.

• Kurremkarmerruk says:

I was surprised this wasn’t mentioned at all, I clicked through just to see what RPS had to say about the devs (especially because StarForge was featured on here a few different times). The game looks pretty fun, the reviews on Steam are really positive and full of stories, but I just don’t know if I am willing to plunk down for this…hopefully we’ll be getting a Premature Evaluation soon that’ll change my mind.

5. El Stevo says:

“It would be wise for players to hide a sharp stone in an orifice slot.”

• madeofsquares says:

Hah, the way it was said so matter-of-factly! “Don’t forget: if you’re going out adventuring someone might try to drag you off with a rope so always hide a sharpened rock up your bum.”

My favourite bit though was the naked river frolicking.

6. Chris says:

ALL PC games should have location damage!

Plus the four guys bathing together made this the gayest trailer ever!

7. mashkeyboardgetusername says:

Although I didn’t get on with Chivalry (too much manoeuvrability for my liking, meant it never felt like a swordfight to me) I still think the “YAAAAAAAARGH” button is one of the greatest inventions in gaming.

8. Ross Angus says:

So tell me: the wobbly sword blades in this video. Are they a thing?

9. Menthalion says:

Although technically not a medieval sword, the was a thing, especially in the 16th century.

10. Neskobar says:

So as long as the death is being delivered by anything other than stones, then it’s fine by you?

11. toshiro says:

Seems a bit childish. With the French revolution style guillotines (not medieval, a child knows this) and all. I don’t know, someone will one day make a wonderful game of this style, but it is not this game.

12. Simbosan says:

What’s he doing to that sheep at 1:25, I didn’t think RPS was that kind of site. Rape Pillage Sheep?

13. AbsoluteShower says:

Hanging is probably more common than stoning.

14. Darth Gangrel says:

When will there ever be a *singleplayer* game that lets you chop off people’s heads like this? There seems to be a few multiplayer games with good enough swordplay, but I don’t like multiplayer because reasons, so until someone creates a singleplayer game like this (or a singleplayer mod for the MP games) I’m gonna stick with Dark Messiah.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

Not exactly swordplay but Fallout 3 and New Vegas had dismemberment from both melee and guns. But peoples head flew off and limbs exploded from a slight breeze, and in an obvious pre-scripted way. (I think Skyrim also has decapitations but only by death camera finishers).

I’m hoping Mount & Blade 2 will do better than old war movie *argh-i’m-holding-my-chest-falling-over* deaths.