Robargain Bucket: Titanfall’s Season Pass Is Free

Titanfall was a pretty good multiplayer shooty-bang game, most especially because it made playing as a squishy little human as exciting as playing as massive stompy roboguy. Unfortunately, there just wasn’t all that much of it, and what there was got a little obfuscated by too many menus and too much waiting. As such, Titanfall doesn’t appear to be thriving. Maybe it’s too late in the day to change that, but giving out the season pass and attendant DLC for free is a worthwhile roll of the dice. Hell, I’m extremely tempted to head back in now (it’s only really a shortage of hard drive space which stops me), and I very much doubt I’m alone in that.

The Season Pass comprises the Expedition, Frontier’s Edge and IMC Rising add-on packs. Those are all important-sounding names and I’m sure include extra nuggets of Titanfall’s deep-as-Derek-Zoolander storyline, but most importantly have new maps. Nine in total, I believe, and one of them even has a big forest in it.

As far as I can tell there aren’t any new Titans in there, which would mean this takes the opposite DLC approach to the recent Evolve, a game which many feel is fated to suffer the same ghost town fate as Titanfall.

In any case, the season pass is now a grand total of £0.00, in honour of the game’s one-year anniversary. It requires you to own the original Titanfall and to have an Origin account, although you can’t have the former without the latter anyway.

Titanfall itself is now down to £15/$20. Not bad value, though much depends on if there’s going to be enough of a resurgence as a result of this to make longer term play viable. Unless you really dig waiting in lobbies, of course. It’s fine if you do. Everyone’s got a thing.

1. FuriKuri says:

By far the most enjoyable PVP FPS I’ve played since Team Fortress Classic… ruined entirely by that stupid console-orientated matchmaking crap. If it had drop-in dedicated servers like Valve’s games I’d still be playing. Well, that and the fact that 60gb is still an utterly ludicrous install size for a game of such little actual content. Dragon Age Inquistion was 25gb and that was HUGE.

• Yglorba says:

Yes, this. Developers need to realize that if you want to keep a normal game thriving in the long term on the PC, you need a dedicated ‘core’ playerbase that will stick around and keep everyone from leaving forever the first time users dip dangerously low. And that playerbase depends on being able to find and stick with servers you particularly like, which requires a server lobby.

The problem is that they all want to model themselves after the biggest console blockbuster hits, which isn’t realistic.

• Synesthesia says:

Agreed, and agreed. I wonder what the hell were they thinking.

• dorobo says:

Hawken’s better! It’s free!

• felis says:

It is my understanding that Hawken is so dead, it is starting to smell bad.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

It also isn’t very good.

• dorobo says:

You should check those awards on steam page.. and maybe the game even supporter dude:]

• airmikee says:

RE: dorobo

“Community Not Available

The community you are trying to access is not available.

Contact your site owner for questions.”

The game that is so good, the developers don’t even need to have their own forum. But hey, at least 18 months after the open beta started it entered Early Access. That’s good sign, right?

• dorobo says:

Ye I know all of that but Im not a forum warrior so I can live fine without any forums :] (steam forums?)
            there’s plenty of content in the game as it is and it’s pretty much balanced so why would I drop it..
            Hawken just refuses to die. No forum no devs no info no marketing.. but there are still players
            not many of them but it’s stable numbers. It lives and that’s a good sign ;]

• airmikee says:

RE: dorobo

It’s not even in the top 99 games being played on Steam right now, which means there are fewer than 2077 people playing the game right now. Which normally doesn’t mean squat, as some of my favorite games only have a few dozen people playing at any given moment. But none of those games are multiplayer, none of those games require a certain number of other people for the game to proceed or even be playable. With fewer than 2k players there is no way they’re going to be able to handle a wide range of players, from noobs, to novices, to experienced, to veterans, to people that have been playing day one since the games release.

If It were a single player game with a campaign like the original MechWarrior games, I’d give it a shot. But with a tiny, miniscule playerbase I won’t even consider a game that is only multiplayer. Hell, there are more people playing Star Trek Online through Steam, and that game is deader than a doornail, 75% of the multiplayer components of the game go untouched because there aren’t enough players. The only time the game sees any real activity is when the devs give away gobs of the in game currency that can be exchanged for the currency that’s also bought with real world cash.

• dorobo says:

But all those 2k players are there for multiplayer in hawken’s case and there’s this fresh development currently that hawken now belongs to Reloaded wich taken over APB and fallen earth before. So there will be new content eventually.

• dorobo says:

And you call yourself gamers. Shame on you! :] I had couple of great matches last night.

2. DThor says:

I snagged this for cheap on an origin rampage (hate origin with a passion, needed to play DAI, though – whaddya gonna do?), and *tried* so hard to get into it. The clock was ticking, almost finished DAI, and pos Origin only seemed to allow me to install on C:, which used up over 50G(!) of precious SSD space. It’s snappy, premise is great, but I simply couldn’t bring myself to actually have fun.

1. The lobby – depending on timing it’s a bugger to connect to a decent server. I’m used to 21st century gaming where I can ping various servers and make a choice.
    2. Number of players too low. I have Planetside 2 in my bones. I appreciate that game is an exception to the rule, but titan has a bunch of useless target practice bots and a handful of people. I need at least a BF3 experience for a big shooter.
    3. Oddly, I reacted to the map design very similarly to BF4,which for me was a disappointment. I just didn’t find clever choke points and strategic design as much as BF3, TF2, etc. I concede that might just be me not picking up on it because of…
    4. Players. Bunch of jerks. Now I realize this can completely be bad luck on my part, but the community had a seriously CoD feel to it. And that’s not good. I think of some of the coordinated experiences I’ve had in sessions of the previously mentioned shooters, or red orchestra 2, and they are sublime, compared to the juvenile experiences I had with titan. I’m fully aware that’s a crap shoot, but again we return to the lobby, which didn’t seem remotely friendly to picking servers with intelligent players.

So . YMMV.

• Yglorba says:

Weirdly I think the best playerbase I found was in Enemy Territory, despite it being completely free. Part of the reason was probably because of how much cooperation it required — if you didn’t work with your teammates, you wouldn’t get anywhere in Enemy Territory. I think another part of it was the excellently-done ‘cinematic’ levels which felt like you were playing through a single-player mission with well-defined subgoals; this made it feel natural to work together towards them.

• Eiv says:

I agree on your points in regards to the lobbies. I must say that I’ve installed on other drives before. I currently have it set to my secondary with no issue whatsoever.

• h_ashman says:

With the Origin install thing, it’s a global setting (i.e. all new games will be installed there, existing games elsewhere are respected), so what I did was swap it to my other drive, install, swap back. Had no problems with it.

Can’t remember exactly what the setting is called, but I think it’s in the ‘downloads’ tab of the settings. I believe it’s just install or download location (there’s a separate one for installers too).

• Guvornator says:

The lobby is a bugger to connect to ANY server. I was ill off from work a while back and booted it up. During European day time, certain game modes were totally off limits. Took me 10 mins just to find a game. I think it had a lot of potential, but it just came across as an utterly shallow experience. By the time they padded it out everybody but the hardcore were done with it.

3. Muthabuffer says:

I really enjoyed Titanfall, the gameplay was good, graphics were good, not amazing, and personally I got it fairly early on so the player base was high and I didn’t have a problem with finding matches.

But once I stopped playing after a couple of weeks I didn’t feel a huge desire to go back and the install size meant it was the first thing to be removed from my SSD when looking to free up space. It’s a shame, if it was 20GB I might have left it on there to jump into occasionally and I bet other people would probably feel the same.

It didn’t feel like a CoD experience to me, even with the smaller player numbers, I personally can’t stand playing CoD online. For some reason though it just never hooked me as much as Battlefield games do and I can’t really put a finger on why.

4. mrwonko says:

It requires you to own the original Titanfall and to have an Origin account

Actually, it seems like I was able to “purchase” it just fine without owning Titanfall. I won’t be able to use it, obviously, but if I ever get Titanfall I’ll have it.

• Optimaximal says:

Yep, same here. If they’ve changed settings after realising we were all claiming it, fair do’s. I’ve got the order confirmation to prove I grabbed it though!

• frogulox says:

You must own the following to USE this product

5. ArtyFishal says:

Titanfall sucked so bad that it convinced me to take a year sabbatical from gaming. I think its dire lack of a player population attests to its mediocrity. I only recently started gaming again, and even free won’t convince me to try that retched waste of time and space again.

6. Mechorpheus says:

A surprisingly generous offering from EA (or at least, a company working with EA). It’s a real shame that, at least when I played a bit last night, there were only around 1000 player reported as being online across all the playlist options. Maybe this DLC freeness will encourage more people to head back, but so far its pretty dead.

• Hedgeclipper says:

Generous? A multi-player game without a player base is worthless, I’d call it desperate.

7. Bull0 says:

Seems like a pretty standard pre-sequel-announcement buzz generator move to me. It’s got me reinstalling though, I’ll gladly have a tour of the new maps. Will it reinvigorate the game? Doubt it but I don’t really think that’s the idea anyway.

8. TormDK says:

Did they ever fix the install sizes on PC compared to that of the Xbox One? (~48gb vs ~20 due to uncompressed sound files)

9. Banks says:

The DLC maps are fantastic, generally much better designed than the vanilla ones. I hope that this resurrects the playerbase, It’s so sad to see such a great game almost dead.

10. Koozer says:

I tried Titanfall on a whim recently, and saw that literally noone on the planet was playing for the first 2 map packs, and only 9 people playing the last one. Hopefully this changes things. It’s a decent game, but I’m so glad I got it for cheap.

• Deadly Sinner says:

DLC maps are playable on the normal playlists as long as everyone in the lobby has them. Which was surprisingly often.

11. aliksy says:

I have a weird sort of glee at seeing big AAA games die down. It’s like, I knew it wasn’t going to be as good as the hype and marketing budget, and it looks like I was right.

• Hedgeclipper says:

The Germans probably have a word for it :)

(no not Schadenfreude)

12. richlamp says:

The Titanfall base game has actually been £7 (or £7.99, I forget) for a while now. However, that’s no longer an option, with only the Deluxe Edition for sale at £14.99 (which comes with the now ‘free’ DLC). So while this is a good deal for existing owners of Titanfall I think it’s actually a bit of a bum deal for new customers.

DuncUK says:

I think this is a marketting ploy for a quick burst of sales… give the DLC away for free and bolster your playerbase for a few weeks. This in turn will make the game more attractive to those who don’t yet have it who may then be more amenable to paying £15 for the deluxe version.

That said, I think they should drop the Deluxe price to that of the standard edition and they’d probably get more sales overall from anyone that was dithering as to whether £7 was worth it. As someone that paid £4 for the base version from Amazon.com about a month ago, I can see why £15 for the same content now might smart a bit.

13. pepperfez says:

I’d have strongly considered a Titanfall with a single-player component, even a rudimentary one. Betting AAA sums of money on the fickle multiplayer-only scene is just bonkers.

JiminyJickers says:

Same here, just some bot matches like Evolve would have been great.

14. Hunchback says:

Great, i am so happy i payed for my season pass back then… only to discover how horribly CoD-y and Consoley this game is… and now they give it away for free too. *sigh*

edna says:

Personally I really enjoy Titanfall and have tended to fire it up every week or so since I picked it up about 6 months ago. There aren’t many players, but I only need to find another 11 for a game, so never wait for longer than a minute or two (playing at maybe 10pm in the UK).

I find it works as a game to unwind with. You don’t have to be the best player on the map to have fun, because you can always run around the rooftops and or loiter near the flag in a titan to help a flag carrier. Unlike, say, BF4 or Arma where you can spend plenty of time getting shot without seeing who shot you.

I’m not very good at FPSs, obviously, and maybe that’s why I like it.

16. flexm says:

As long as you stayed out of the titans I think the game was great, most fun movement in a modern multiiplayer fps aside from tribes ascend.
    I played it a lot when it was new and people were trying out other modes than the crap default shoot-ai-guys one. The first few minutes in CTF matches were always brilliant, before too many titans dropped in and slowed the game down.
    Sadly after a couple of months people started getting better at using titans in general, covering each others backs etc while roboting so it became too hard to win on-foot vs titan fights to really bother :(
    Fun game ruined by it’s own unique selling point.

17. Tomo says:

If they’d released Titanfall on Steam, I’d have bought it the day it came out. As it is with Origin being such a piece of shit, I don’t own it. And I never will, which I am genuinely disappointed by :/