Trouble In Paradise: Watch Survival Horror PAMELA Teaser

PAMELA screenshot

Stop me if you’ve heard this one before: a sentient AI walks into a cryostasis unit and says “It seems things haven’t gone quite as planned in my utopia. Decant me a human please, I need their fleshling appendages to complete tasks for me.”

The sentient AI in question is called Pamela and it was the custodian of Eden, a suggestively-named sci-fi city and the setting of PAMELA [official site]. Its residents have gone a bit wrong, and it seems that they’d rather assault uninfected people than shop in Eden’s many luxurious malls. I usually end up in a mood whenever I go shopping, so I sympathise.

Let’s get the obvious observation out of the way: PAMELA is awfully pretty, isn’t it? Not even the fact that the player character walks around like Mr. Burns can distract from that.

Information on PAMELA is currently thin on the ground, although the official site has some suggestive flavour text. It sounds like the player will spend a lot of time exploring Eden, trying to reroute power to keep lights on or otherwise dissuade its more pugnacious residents from approaching you. A lot of your interactions with the world will be possible thanks to your AARM, which as well as a ridiculous sci-fi abbreviation is a wristmajig that displays stats and your inventory, and also serves as your portable armory.

PAMELA is the first game from NVYVE, a team made up of just four people. I know that in this day and age it’s not uncommon for amazing games to be produced by small teams, yet I can’t help but be impressed that four people have made something that looks as spectacular as that teaser trailer suggests.

From this site

1. tangoliber says:

Nice, it’s the Resort from Brink!

2. Roxton says:

Excerpt from P.A.M.E.L.A.:, or, Virtue Rewarded

Dear Father and Mother,

I have great trouble, and some comfort, to acquaint you with. The trouble is, that many of the residents of my floating city have died of the illness I mentioned to you, and left the remainder much grieved for the loss of them; until, that is, those who had died rose again and began to set about those who had not. Much I feared, that as I am but a mere flowing of ones and zeros along the conduits of this risen Atlantis, I should be quite destitute, and forced to trigger its self-destruct sequence to prevent the ague from spreading; but the law of unintended sci-fi consequences, whose graciousness to us we have so often experienced at a pinch, has put me into the good heart and body of one of those who was cryogenically stored here, that I may put things right by punching the infected in the back of the head. I must confess that the use of such a body is strange to me, and it has taken quite some time to compose its functions sufficiently that I may also compose this letter to you; even now, I have not the power to prevent its fluids from leaving me – O, how my eyes run – Don’t wonder to see this paper so blotted….

• phlebas says:

*applause*
      Also, this looks like a game that I would very much like to play yes please.

• -funkstar- says:

You know, I was going to make a quick Toto quip, but this is so much better.

Well done, Sir. Well done.

3. rcguitarist says:

50% of the comments on this article are spam bots.

4. CookPassBabtridge says:

Meh I will pass on PAMELA and look forward to the sequel: MARJORIE

5. pixl_man says:

I am so sold.

6. Furiant says:

It would be so cool and novel if the AI’s name, “P.A.M.E.L.A.” was a clunky acronym for a phrase that provided some vague description of the function of that AI! I can’t wait to find out if that’s the case.

7. opasnimiki says:

My eyes are melting. So damn beautiful.

But why is this horror? WHY?!…..

I guess I will be forced to collect some courage and hopefully play it… somehow.

8. dskzero says:

It looked so amazing and reminded me of the first time I played System Shock actually. I hope it’s not just another zombie game

• epeternally says:

Yeah, it pinged some absolutely delightful mix of System Shock, Deus Ex, and Mirror’s Edge for me. I just hope that the gameplay is as interesting as what’s on the surface. For now, though, I’m pretty hyped. What they’re showing looks utterly fantastic.

9. Sunjammer says:

I still don’t understand the weird pride some developer have in their middleware. “Made with Unity” who cares?

• Gargenville says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if the license actually requires them to have that there.

From an end-user standpoint it also implies the game will be multiplatform I guess seeing as Unity will export to basically every platform known to man except the Atari Lynx.

10. Orageon says:

The artistic identity of this reminds me heavily of Brink, back then. Same kind of floating city, same kind of architecture, neons, etc.
    This is good, but makes me miss Brink and regret it was not patched back into a second life.