Warcraft III In Starcraft II Because Why Not?

Still no news on an official new Warcraft game – and I’d be fairly surprised if that changed before the end of this decade, to be honest – but news of Warcraft III remade in Starcraft II feels like a long time coming. It’s partly down to Blizzard’s recent release of the Warcraft III assets to the community, but mostly down to pure gumption on the mod team’s part.

The devs acknowledge that there’s “massive use of resources created by Blizzard Entertainment”, but last month said of Blizzard’s asset-splurge that “we plan to use sounds and effects, but models are quite ugly.” The smart money is on some of the models and textures we see below being borrowed from or at least based on Heroes of the Storm and World of Warcraft. See what you think:

The team behind this mod – named Armies of Azeroth claim to be dedicated to recreating the original experience, campaign and all, rather than on adding new stuff. That’s a tall order in a way, given the legion of people Blizzard have dedicated to bringing about balance, but certainly what’s on show in that trailer is very impressive. I’m not entirely sure it’s necessary – Warcraft III doesn’t look that dated, does it? – but I am sure there’ll be a big audience for it. #

There’s no release date as yet, but Moddb and Twitter are your best bet for keeping abreast of what happens with this.

1. Rao Dao Zao says:

Well, loads of people spent loads of time making Starcraft in Warcraft III, so it’s only fair.

2. Lexx87 says:

#

3. skalpadda says:

Warcraft 3 is still very much playable, the only issue being that it doesn’t handle modern widescreen resolutions very well. This looks like a pretty good attempt at updating it, though I’m curious if they’ll be able to use things like cinematics, which actually do play an important role in the campaigns.

• skalpadda says:

Hrm, where did editing go? Anyway, I’d love to see a remake of Warcraft II, seeing as it’s a milestone game with a bunch of good content which doesn’t play well at all on modern systems.

4. Immobile Piper says:

Graphically I don’t really see the point (but when do I ever?).

But perhaps there’s some UI related improvements that could make it worthwhile. I haven’t played Starcraft II but I wouldn’t be surprised if it had an edge over WC3 in that regard.

• Vandelay says:

Did it restrict number of units you could have selected? I know that SC did and it would be a massive improvement if the original Warcraft 3 was the same.

Besides that, I can’t think of anything else that might require updating (unit pathfinding perhaps?)

• ZPG Lazarus says:

The food limit was the crux to gameplay. Having fifty Frost Wyrms would be hilarious but pretty much render heroes obsolete.

I’m glad they’re redoing the single player though. It got overshadowed by the multiplayer and forgotten in the wake of World of Warcraft but some of those missions were works of art. I make it a point to replay the Human campaign at least once a year.

March of the Scourge and Twilight of the Gods are probably the best constructed missions I’ve played in any game. Those were the days…

• Immobile Piper says:

WC3 campaign really is up there.

Though less said about Night Elf campaign the better…

• Immobile Piper says:

It’s been a few years since I played either, but I think SC had max 12 units selected at once and WC3 had three or four times that. I remember needing more than one control group to attack-move large blobs of units.

• SeismicRend says:

I feel Starcraft II was a step back in the unit AI department from Warcraft III. In Warcraft III, your units would arrange themselves in a tactically sensible formation. Yes, you can select more units simultaneously in Starcraft II, but they just bunch themselves up in a blob.

You can see in the video how this affects gameplay. The vulnerable rifleman is trotting out front in lead. The player spots an ogre camp and has to halt his troops, click several times to arrange them for battle, send the water elemental out first to soak hits, and then attack with the rest. If you were playing Warcraft III, the unit AI takes care of the no-brainer stuff leaving you to just give the command order to attack.

I love mixed-troop formations in RTS games. It’s a delight to see the units supporting one another in battle and your army as a whole succeeding where each part would crumble. Starcraft II is not that type of game.

5. Nevard says:

Warcraft III might not be so dated as to be unplayable, but don’t underestimate one fact: As a mod, it’d be free. I’m not even sure you need to own Starcraft II to play its mods (isn’t there a free arcade version?)
    Warcraft III is hardly steep these days, but “literally nothing at all, with better graphics” might be the incentive some people who might have been on the fence about playing some of Blizzard’s older games need to experience them for the first time.

• Moraven says:

Everything but single player campaign and solo ladder (you can ladder on teams with a group leader who owns the game) is free.

Starcraft II mods offer a ton of free fun content.

• dontnormally says:

I would just love to be able to zoom out more. I don’t know if you all recall, but Warcraft III felt like it kept the camera 10ft off the ground.

6. kael13 says:

Oh man, it’s so pretty! I wonder what they’ll do for creeps and whathaveyou.

7. Xzi says:

Finally, a reason to reinstall Starcraft 2.