Jeff Goldbrick: Lego Jurassic World

Don’t let the name fool you. Lego Jurassic World [official site] may be tied to the similarly titled Big Summer Sequel for marketing purposes, but it covers the previous films in the Jurassic series as well. That means Lego Attenborough, Lego Laura Dern, Lego Sam Neill and Lego Annoying Kids. It also means Lego Goldblum. There will also be dinosaurs, as the trailer below demonstrates.

I think the Lego games always work better when they have a framework to follow – part of the fun is in seeing familiar scenes recreated in slapstick fashion. They’re also rare in the field of licensed properties because they can get away with light mockery of the source material. The T. Rex’s trip to the mainland should make for a decent series of sight gags.

Returning to the cast for a moment, I did a quick think about which of their films I’d most like to see in Lego form. For Attenborough, I’ll go with Brighton Rock, for Dern it’ll be Inland Empire, for Neill it’s got to be Event Horizon, andfor Goldblum it’s either The Fly or Grand Budapest Hotel. Because Lego Grand Budapest Hotel would look astonishing. In fact, I want a box of Lego with instructions to create sets from the film right now.

1. raiders5000 says:

Holy crap that was friggin’ awesome!

2. Vacuity729 says:

Fantastic, but!

Where’s Jeff Goldblum’s laugh? They need that laugh.

3. GallonOfAlan says:

> Returning to the cast for a moment, I did a quick think about which of their films I’d most like to see in Lego form.

Welp, it would be easy with Goldblum, you could just cut & paste from this game as he essentially just plays Jeff Goldblum in every film he’s in.

4. GallonOfAlan says:

And if I get to snarf up annoying Spielbergbrat kids as a T-Rex then sign me up.

tigerfort says:

Those aren’t proper dinosaurs. Dinosaurs have feathers.

• Koozer says:

If you look closely you can also see that these are made of LEGO, whereas actual dinosaurs were made of ham.

• Creeping Death says:

Nope! You’re about as wrong there as everyone that says no dinosaurs had features.

SOME dinosaurs are thought to have had feathers. Primarily those that belong to the therapod group. I refuse to believe something like a Diplodocus was covered in feathers.

• Nevard says:

Diplodocus isn’t thought to have been feathered but its stance, adornment, and colouration are still postulated to have been a lot different than what’s become the pop-culture norm. It’s likely that they were covered in sharp keratin thorns, and used their tails as weapons rather than just as a balancing aid.

6. HiFiHair says:

I warn you now this game lives or dies on the strength of it’s Tenspeed and Brownshoe references.

[youtube link to youtube.com

7. SanguineAngel says:

Based on Jurasic Park the first, it was my firm childhood understanding that Sam Neill was simply brilliant. I was just young enough for Merlin to help rather than hinder this impression. When I saw The Dish, it was of course firmly cemented. The moral of this story is that Sam Neill is great

• Kempston Wiggler says:

Sam Neill is generally a boon to whatever he appears in. He’s just a class act. :)

8. Janichsan says:

> The T. Rex’s trip to the mainland should make for a decent series of sight gags.

Now that you mention that scene, I would love to play that as the T. Rex…

9. ribby says:

The things in this Lego game are not made out of Lego…

10. bill says:

I got strangely excited about the idea of Lego Laura Dern…. but I was thinking of Rambling Rose and Wild at Heart.

I’ll go lie down now.

• Alice O'Connor says:

I so want to see a Lego Nicolas Cage explaining this here Lego jacket represents a symbol of his individuality, and his belief in personal freedom.

• April March says:

Now I want to play Lego Nicolas Cage. Or maybe just a tabletop RPG in which everyone plays as a Nicolas Cage character.

11. soopytwist says:

If it’s as broken as Batman 3 was/is I’m not interested anymore.