Catnap Over: Blade Kitten Ep 2 Released After Four Years

The second episode of a mostly-forgotten episodic game being released over four years after it was nearly finished, and after its makers mostly closed, is the sort of weird game news that makes me trill “Ooh! Weird!” So: Blade Kitten [official site] Episode 2 came out yesterday. Ooh! Weird!

“Episode 2 was nearly completed 9 months ago then was put on indefinite hold because Atari didn’t want to publish it,” developers Krome Studios explained way back in July 2011. “We are looking at other avenues to release Episode 2.” It took them a while.

Episode 2 continues from the punchy platformer’s cliffhanger ending, so let’s all pause for a moment of sympathy for everyone who’s been left hanging since 2010. If you’re wondering what’s been going on, its description brings the most video games sentence I’ve read in months: “Kit has been staying with the Terra-Li and the Squamatans at Ytiralop for the last three months.” Classic. It also has new costumes, as I understand dressing up is any catgirl’s favourite activity.

It seems Krome ended up simply waiting for publishers Atari’s rights to expire so they could release it themselves. In February 2014 they received a symbolic USB stick from Atari with all the Blade Kitten assets. While the game found a lukewarm reception, being based on an ongoing webcomic means it seems to still have a far larger fanbase than I’d expected.

The DLC is on Steam now for £3.59/$4.49, 10% cheaper thanks to a launch discount. Trailer:

1. Jekhar says:

Wow, i didn’t even know the previous one was just the beginning of an episodic thing. Seems i should finish it someday. ;-)

Wisq says:

Good for them for making sure Atari’s exclusivity was a temporary thing. So many franchises have been lost over the decades because publishers lose interest but refuse to give up the rights.

3. int says:

Now someone make SiN: Episode 2. Also, that very famous game with the same engine that everyone in the world is hoping will come out… what was it called…?

Ah yes! Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines!

4. Ryuuga says:

Having music to go with the trailer instead of just escalating noise might help. As might having something to put there that would stand more eyeballing than a fraction of a second, hence not necessitating 56 million cuts in a minute of video. And the ending? Episode two consists of a troop of dark grey insect-shark-somethings scaling an equally drab wall?

5. Folly Incorporated says:

The first one was a guilty pleasure of mine.

I’d never admit to people I meet on the street I played this but if you ask I’d say it was decent.

shame the webcomic that wen’t with it vanished and we got some pay to view comics instead

6. vorador says:

Typical of publishers. Not that they’re gonna do something worthwhile with an IP they don’t want, but god forbid they lease it to someone else in reasonable terms, or give it to it’s creator.

• mechabuddha says:

If we’re not going to make money off of this, NO ONE is!

• TechnicalBen says:

Sad fact. If the money is going in someone else’s hand, its not going in theirs. :(

7. Darth Gangrel says:

“If you’re wandering”? What, is this a walking simulator? If not , then you surely meant to write “wondering”.

8. dethtoll says:

I actually read the comic this is based on. Man, it’s been years.

9. ztorm says:

30 fps cap… is history ? Lots of updates since last year ?? A new DLC ? Meow, time to reinstall.

• Cantisque says:

I tried the demo when it first came out and thought it was awful. Might have to give it another chance if improvements have been made. If I remember right, it had really awkward, clunky combat and badly animated walking animation. It’s been a while but yeah, that’s the impression it left on me.