Transitional Forms: Evolve Adding Free Maps

Two free maps, to be precise.

The Broken Hill Mine and Broken Hill Foundry maps introduce two totally unique environments: Mining caves below the planet’s surface and a fully industrial setting that has you sprinting down factory corridors.

Maybe you’re running around as one of Evolve’s [official site] big beasties, smashing your friends and shouting RAWWWWWRRRR out of the window to let people know you mean business. Maybe you’re having a great time and can’t wait to stomp around in a mining cave or a factory. But on the off-chance that you’re not already enjoying Evolve, two new maps probably won’t tempt you to join the hunt, eh?

The maps are coming to Xbone first, on March 31st, and will make their way to the Sonybone and PC on April 30th. There are details about the maps over at the official site, including the fact that a monster win on the Mine map will cause the area to become unstable. Earthquakes will tear through the surrounding area, which would be hugely exciting if the following sentence didn’t explain the impact of the quakes: “The resulting earthquakes will flush out birds from the surrounding areas, deceiving the Hunters as to where the Monster is really located.”

That does not seem like the best use of an earthquake in a game about sci-fi monster hunting in hazardous environments!

You can see the two new maps in action, along with the upcoming Observer mode, in the recorded livestream below, or you could read Alec’s thoughts about wot the game gets right, and wot it gets wrong.

1. Morcane says:

I’m sorry, but I evolved past this game.

And what’s up with that month difference between XB1 and PC? lol

• welverin says:

Money.

• rcguitarist says:

That’s called making money from microsoft! Evolve has been a cash grabbing, how-much-profit-can-we-possibly-make object since before it even launched. The company’s reason for making the game wasn’t to make a great game that then makes them boatloads of cash, it was to make a massive yacht of cash and build a game around that objective. Mission accomplished it seems.

• SupahSpankeh says:

Yeah, the Evolve cash grab has been somewhat vulgar, and this month delay because MS has let them suckle at their teat is further souring the milk.

To think, this studio came up with L4D.

• jasta85 says:

I just checked steam stats:

Evolve: 1721 current players
      Left 4 Dead 2: 5,445 current players

That says something right there

2. caff says:

Have I missed something if I haven’t played Evolve?

• WhiteHawke says:

If you have a full group you could be playing with, I’d say “yes you absolutely missed something extremely special”. Otherwise, probably not. I love the game, but I can only recommend it to people with dedicated gaming groups.

• caff says:

Ah that’s a shame. I live a very solitary, depressing existence. Playing with strangers doesn’t sound like it would work out.

3. Molay says:

Releases 1 months later on both pc and ps4? Now that’s not very nice… Good thing I don’t even play the game anymore, else I might have been very insulted by this.

4. montorsi says:

No, the interest meter didn’t even twitch, sorry.

5. ribby says:

How well did Evolve sell I’m wondering?

• dangerman77 says:

Perhaps a two-part follow-up and a three-part post-mortem will be coming down the pipeline. Fingers crossed!

• EhexT says:

That question is one the Evolve people have never asked themselves. Because for them, the question is how well did Evolve PRE-sell and how much did we get from Microsoft for various (unsavory) favors. Evolve is an object lesson in pre-monetization – the quality of the product is irrelevant and any actual post-launch sales are an unforseen uncalculated bonus.

• Moraven says:

Have to wait until Late March, Early April to see 2K games Q4 results.

6. Muzman says:

Broken Hill? While Turtle Rock were in the Valve biomass did they osmose some Australian-ness from the TF2 guys?

7. Xzi says:

It needs more game modes and pretty much a complete re-design that doesn’t hold back for DLC considerations, not more maps.

8. lanelor says:

What I want to know is the % of people who beta-tested and then bought the game. This thing took less then 10 games to become a grind.

• SimianJim says:

I played the game at EGX a couple of times and absolutely loved it. A bunch of us took part in the alpha and the beta and then bought the game. While I’ve not been that fussed about playing it by myself, it’s easily one of the best multiplayer experiences you can have with 3 or 4 friends. I’ve no idea what the PC community is like as I play this on XB1, but I could well imagine it’s way more popular on console. I fully expect Evolve to be in my top 10 games at the the end of the year

9. Bobtree says:

The new maps look great. The one month delay stinks.

I really like Evolve and want to play more of it, but we’re now 5 weeks post-launch without a balance patch.