Batman Swings Into Wolfenstein 3D With New Mod

Some folks seem surprised that Doom levels and mods are still being made but, as Andrew Lloyd Webber taught us, love never dies. People are still making Wolfenstein 3D mods, you know. Why, just the other week, a new Wolfenstein total conversion came out!

I point out Batman: No Man’s Land [ModDB page] partially because I smiled seeing a new Wolf3D mod pop up in my feeds, and partially because I’ve been here almost a year and still not posted about Wolf3D (well, not properly). Sorry. I suppose I’ll mention a few other Wolfenstein bits too.

First, No Man’s Land. It sees Batman roaming around an earthquake-smashed Gotham (half-based on the comic arc of the same name), beating up thugs, freeing hostages, and collecting Batmemorabilia for points. It feels as Batman-y as one can reasonably achieve on Wolfenstein 3D foundations, and does a decent job of looking like a trashed city. One touch I enjoyed discovering is Bats can pick up lids from bins to hurl at enemies. Very authentic, the Batbinlids.

It’s a standalone mod too, coming with an engine port that works fine on modern versions of Windows. I enjoyed my time playing, delighting in the novelty, but had to stop after getting stuck between two locked doors. If you dig it, hey, it’s sequel to Batman vs. Bane so there’s that too.

Other Wolf3D things: I’ve always meant to tell more people about Northern Darkness, a mod about a black metal band which includes pleasingly hacky driving sections – look at this wild thing.

Looking at that again made me stumble across Witching Hour, a horror mod set in a decent-looking forest, which I’ve downloaded to have a crack.

What else? Oh! After going on about readme files, I tried to make a video of the violence-removing Wolf3D mod but it’s quite crashy. Shame, that.

Er, let’s see. Ah! If you want to follow new Wolf3D odds and ends, fan site The Wolfenstein 3D Dome seems a pretty good place to start. I’m certain many fine mods and levels more conventional than Batman are still being made.

Fun fact: the first game Zeno Clash makers ACE Team released was a Batman mod for Doom II.

1. Dominic White says:

There’s an updated version of ACE Team’s Batman mod in the works right now, too. They’re updating it to run better on modern Doom engines, and are adding features like some new lighting effects, boss health bars, etc.

link to forum.zdoom.org

• dethtoll says:

I’ve very much been looking forward to Batman Doom get an update.

G-Lord says:

Thanks for the info, was also hoping for an update as I had trouble with running the original.

2. TheBigBookOfTerror says:

There should be a Danger 5 mod or Hotline Miami TC.

3. Jalan says:

The more I stare at the image, the more it looks like someone has grafted a Batarang onto Batman’s thumb and he’s trying to use it to bum a ride out of Gotham.

4. Harrington says:

Whaaaaaaaat. I remember that mod! It came on a MacAddict magazine disc way back in the late 90s. I had no idea those were the same guys. Man.

• Hulk Handsome says:

Always nice to see a fellow MacAddict in the wild!

• Harrington says:

And likewise! We’re a rare and rarified breed, though given the magazine’s sense of humor in those glory days I wouldn’t be surprised if a few other former readers wound up at RPS.

5. JamesTheNumberless says:

Title screenshot reminds me an awful lot of Quarantine.

6. Not_Id says:

Hey Alice have you heard of Gameception? It’s an ios app that lets you play alll the Doom games plus a ton of mods that you can download via Dropbox. It also connects to Doomworld via in app browser. Reason I’m mentioning it is because I’ve been playing Wolf3D with it. It plays a lot better on the iPad than ids version.

7. April March says:

That heavy metal mod reminds me of Kiss: Psycho Circus, the Kiss-themed FPS that surprises you by being quite good after it surprises you by being a real thing and not a Family Guy gag.

• Jalan says:

Speaking as someone who owned Kiss: Psycho Circus: The Nightmare Child on Dreamcast, which was a horrible port unleashed upon the world by Tremor Entertainment (and one of the few genuinely bad games to ever exist on the Dreamcast) and later had the brief chance to play Third Law’s original PC version (with nothing cut from it like the port!) it was a serviceable FPS but most of the things it did were done better by other games released around that same time.

I’d also like to point out that it should surprise no one with its existence, given that it is a tie-in product to the Kiss: Psycho Circus comics put out by Image at the end of the 90s which remain notable (IMO) solely for the fact that Angel Medina provided the art.

8. dskzero says:

Remember that mod in a Nazi camp that was canceled because of the publicity it got? Man that one looked brilliant.

9. sonofsanta says:

There is something immensely appealing to me about moody pixellated skyline skyboxes that I can’t explain. Probably Duke3D’s fault. Some weird kind of nostalgia for a low-res post-apocalypse that didn’t happen when it happened in my adolescence.

• Kaeoschassis says:

To be honest I think I can go further back than that. Pretty sure the pixel city backdrops of the very first Duke got me hooked, even if I didn’t realise it until years later. Love me some moody, ultra-minimal skylines. Been playing MURI today and it also nails those to perfection.

10. darkhog says:

Fake. Wolf3d can’t do ceiling or floor textures.