Protoss The Button: Starcraft II Legacy Of The Void Beta

The poor old Adept will have to retire his name if I ever control him

Good news if you’ve been waiting to see how Big Stubbly Man and Chitin Stilettos Woman managed to defeat timeless evil once and for all until the next sequel: the third and final chunk of StarCraft II is very much on its way. In fact, beta invites for the Protoss-focused Legacy of the Void are due to go out before the end of the month. “Much has changed” since the last time Blizzard let us have a peek at their void.

The beta is, naturally, purely multiplayer-focused. I’m sure I’m not alone in only really playing SCII for the singleplayer – the story stuff invariably makes me want to burn all of popular culture to the ground, but the variety and invention of the missions is basically unparalleled in this genre – but clearly the game’s heart is its hyper-competitive online battles. So, let’s take a look at what’s NEW and DIFFERENT and PROBABLY QUITE COMPLICATED in the upcoming beta:

The new units are probably the biggest deal there. The Protoss get ranged unit The Adept and AOE robot the Disruptor, while the Terran Cyclone doles out damage over time and the Zerg get the Lurker and the Ravager, both renowned for their extensive charity work. Blizzard are still working on a second new Terran unit, and reckon “we’re looking at adding a Barracks unit, Starport unit, or possibly even a new building altogether.”

The beta also brings updates to existing units, as well as inevitable balance tweaks. For instance, staring Worker count is up to 12, which may be a big deal with lightning-speed players, and some bases will have less resources on hand in order to encourage “additional expansions more aggressively.” These are things which sound small on paper but potentially mean dramatic change in practice.

More detail on all of this stuff here. Invitations for the closed beta start going out on March 31st – expect an internet-wide frenzy of begging when that happens.

1. Distec says:

Oh, this is still happening. My peak level of “caring” was right before they announced SC2 would be released in thirds. Years later, and after only playing the Terran campaign, that’s pretty much dwindled down to zero.

It saddens me since I was a huge SC fanboi back in the day. But the drawn-out release cycle and frankly terrible writing have sucked out all my enthusiasm.

• jrodman says:

Yarp. It’s kind of amazing it’s still going on.

• AskForBarry says:

I don’t mind that it is released in thirds. Keeps the game fresh. I prefer this over sequels.
      And I haven’t really paid more than I would for a AAA-gamel.

• Martel says:

SC2 is an AAA game :) And isn’t the total retail price for all 3 (base game with 2 expansions) $80?

• skorpeyon says:

So you understand, those of us who played the original game (not sure if you’re included, but I kind of hope not) feel rather ripped off by the “thirds” concept because the original game was released with all three races being playable in single-player. It was followed up by an expansion called “Brood War” that, again, had all three races being playable. EACH of the two games released thus far for Starcraft II have been roughly as long and complex of a story as ONE THIRD of the original game. I understand the 3D, the cutscenes, etc. make the process take longer, but I also believe that Blizzard is either milking this, not applying many people to it, or there’s something horribly mismanaged about it. It shouldn’t take nearly this long to put the games out, and it really shouldn’t have been split into three pieces like it was. If they wanted to do a main game and two expansion, each with three parts to their story I’d have been ecstatic.

That being said, I have the games, I keep buying them, because I do love them and I can afford to waste some money on it when I don’t buy that many computer games anymore. I still, however, feel that the price is far too high for what is being provided.

• Distec says:

I do recall them saying that they wanted a full campaign for each race, and that first game had some criticism for each race’s campaign length.

Setting aside all cynicism; that’s a rationale that makes sense to me. But at the same time, I was perfectly happy with StarCraft’s length and didn’t feel unfulfilled. If Blizzard did want to go episodic, I would have been much happier* with each release having a shorter campaign for all three sides.

*Also on the condition that there’s less “Reformed Kerrigan” bullshit involved, but that ship’s long sailed.

• Alth says:

I’m not sure you and I played the same games… SC1 had 10 missions per race, Brood War 8 or 9. SC2 had, if memory serves, 25 terran missions. Combined with variants, challenges etc., that’s easily as much content as SC1. Heart of the Swarm added 25 zerg missions, and I’ll bet Legacy of the Void will also have 25 missions in the main campaign. So not only SC2 has more missions, they’re a lot more fun and varied. Yes, the writing isn’t stellar, but this isn’t Planescape Torment, what did you expect? :)

• pekikuubik says:

There certainly are more missions per race and they are more varied, but it’s also valid to prefer the variety in getting to play a different race after 8-10 missions. For example, if Terran is my least favourite race, then it’s quite arduous to slog through 25 missions of them.

Personally, I’d expect at least SC1/BW-level of writing from its sequel. SC1 managed to convey much more about its setting and characters with its visually limited briefings and graphics (thanks to excellent writing and acting) than SC2 does with its campaign. The journeys of side characters like Edmund Duke and Fenix are still etched in my mind, whereas I can’t say the same about anyone in SC2 (except Abathur I suppose, but he’s merely comic relief).

• Moraven says:

The protoss missions provided a nice mix.

• vorador says:

I still haven’t finished Heart of the Swarm. And i’m in no rush to return to it. At some point i simply stopped caring.

I think Blizzard peaked in single player RTS with Warcraft III campaign.

• jrodman says:

Warcraft 3 the game was okay, but the single player campaign annoyed me enough to stop pretty early on. I would say Starcraft was my high point with the company as far as RTS goes. Maybe altogether..

• dskzero says:

I thought it was brilliant, but it was hardly original. It felt like it was drawning from too many sources.

• Senethro says:

Its obviously ridiculous after seeing the released products to say this is a single game released in thirds.

And yet these comment threads still bring these guys out. From across the gap of years the jimmies are still rustled.

• Distec says:

I didn’t mean that literally, . Each episode could be considered games in their own right by their sizes alone, certainly. But it is also, by its very nature, incomplete.

As somebody who played the original for the campaign and story – and never touched the multiplayer – it is hard for me to keep up excitement when the meat of what I love is doled out in this chunky fashion. I had a similar reaction to the episodic format for Half-Life, despite still enjoying them. I’d prefer to have a complete experience, especially if I’m looking at YEARS between releases. Also why I’ll cut devs like Telltale a break.

• Neutrino says:

I can understand different people having different views on that, but I don’t see how it is ridiculous. Each ‘game’ has the exact same engine, same gameplay, same mechanics, same assets, same units etc etc. The second and third ‘games’ are little more than mission pack expansions. Surely that’s self-evident? Not that I’m complaining about that, obviously content is expensive to create, but it is what it is.

I loved the original Starcraft but really don’t care about SCII. I find it a bit lacking in the storyline and annoyingly micro centric. Supreme Commander Forged Alliance Forever (FAF) is my RTS of choice.

• ThomasHL says:

But the games don’t have the exact same units or gameplay? Each game has introduced a _lot_ of new units to the singleplayer included entirely never seen before mechanics. They also introduce mission types and objectives that we haven’t seen before in Starcraft and tell a complete story. They also come with a multiplayer which has new units and subtly different playstyles because of those changes.

And Legacy of the Void radically changes even that about the multiplayer. They’ve changed how mining works so that not a single build order in the previous two games will work for LotV

• ludde says:

I loved Starcraft 1 as well, so I didn’t mind the double expansions, but the writing in Wings of Liberty was so fucking terrible that I haven’t been able to muster any excitement at all since.

Blizzard should really try to figure out what happened to their world building after Warcraft III. Seems it’s gone to shit somewhere with all the WoW expansions, Starcraft II and then Diablo III.

• vlonk says:

Amen to that. D3 writing lost every form of appeal or quality. It is so bad, I have seen better writing in youtube comments. Mindboggling how that could be the same company that released D1 with its intense atmosphere or Starcraft 1 or the Warcraft 2 handbook!
        Same goes for the clishee-o-rama that is SC2 and it’s addons. Those characters are so flat you could fold them to a paper airplane. Even worse is the ending of SC2 Heart of the Swarm. In our day and age this is not only shoddy writing it is disgraceful to do something like this to your main female protagonist. Ugh. So much money so little writing, its Michael Bay Transformers all over again.

• Asurmen says:

I don’t see the problem.

• vlonk says:

SPOILERS
            Kerrigan has her dragonball-esque rise to power as the leading storyline of the campaign of HotS, then in the end gets disempowered, weak, gets insulted and tortured as a powerless chitin-stiletto loser quivering on the floor in pain. When suddenly the hero, the strong man from the first game arrives and saves the day. Kerrigan is not even the hero in her own story arch! For reference of the way a real power-hero fantasy plays out I refer you to pretty much any Dragonball story arch (hint: they overcome the opposition by their own power).
            You know I really do not feal the feminist vibe most of the time and see a lot of leeway in the artistic freedom of a writer… but this ending basically screams that women don’t get shit done in the Starcraft Universe and even years later I cannot get to terms with it. This ending is SO macho, so in contrast with the build up of the campaign, so disappointing, its just a Raynor fanfic.

• Asurmen says:

Still don’t see the problem. We played vastly different games if you think Raynor was the hero. He helped her out once and suddenly the story is a feminism rant breeding ground? Did you not notice the rest of the story where she escapes, her power grows beyond her previous limits, and she rescues him rather than the other way round? Last but not least leaves your supposed hero to go do her own shit? Oh no. He had to help her out once.

Jeez.

• vlonk says:

But that is exactly my point! The story is drafted as a classic story of a character rising in rank and power. She even gets to save Raynor and show her superiority, beating up old powers and new powers alike. She is characterised as having no weakness, even surpassing the limits of human and zerg power levels. Sounds very familiar from all those other powerfantasy storylines we remember from dozens of other Kitsch-cartoons and comic stories. But the ending brakes the iron rules of this storyline. It undermines her whole progress with the classic symbol of defeat, a push of a button. No matter how much she advances, she cannot outgrow her nasty pseudo-papa. Still classic storyline until the point where….she needs her ex-boyfriend to win. Now lets compare that to their last anti-hero Arthas who gets to shishkebab his papa all by himself. That storyline somehow had a different tone to it with pale rose petals and church bells. Blizz can craft beautiful storylines. So is Raynor the more important hero than Kerrigan? In her own storyline which shows her rise to near cosmic power? That is some weak Kryptonite storyline right there introducing a deus ex machina in the last panel… So she is no Songoku (chinese historic or cartoon version), no Conan or Tarzan, no mother of dragons. What she is made into in the final event of her story arch is a badly played out Superman (without the ethics). In my books thats weak writing and it happened because the fanservice pressure to bring in cool-strong-mysterious Raynor for the last scene was overwhelming. But he is a side character in this story arch and he still won the day. Bloody Gandalf move.

• Asurmen says:

Again, wow. Your point being that the story is slightly different than other power rise ones makes it bad, despite it actually being the same? Sorry, but even in those stories they needed help. Conan did, Goku needed carrying more times than I can count and Dany wouldn’t be anything with her khalasar and Jorah. You say it shows she can’t grow beyond her old leader. I say she it shows that’s she’s overconfident and angry beyond reason. Also just because she’s all powerful doesn’t mean she won’t have weaknesses or being manipulated. The only bad thing is the deus ex machina of her near defeat.

You’re vastly exaggerating Raynor and his place in HotS. He saved her life once at the end. That doesn’t invalidate anything that happened previously to her.

Your comparison with Arthas is flawed because his is one of corruption. It had to be him doing the patricide. Kertigan’s was one of vengeance and she had to be shown as foolish. Of course it had a different tone.

• vlonk says:

Are you sure we speak about the same story? Just for a reminder:
            Conan defeats his pseudo-papa all by himself
            Goku – to many possible quotes – does actually never need help to win in the end. He has the ever repeating Rocky Balboa training montage and setbacks, then beats up the bad guy. He needs help to gain time to come back later and win. Maybe he dies in between. Mistakes happen. Still he always reigns supreme in the end, because that is the iron rule, the definition of that archetype of hero.
            Naruto the same.
            What have those heroes in common? Simple storyline, Siegfried of the Nibelung saga retold or we could date it back way behind Moses directly to Gilgamesh if we really wanted to dig in the history books. Hero stories are predictable. It is a tried and tested storyline concept that has been well understood for quite a while now.
            Always the same storyline. Hero faces opposition, overcomes, beats bad guy. Is often self-centered and dickish with an egocentric protagonist at the core.
            And Blizz broke it, broke that formula. Because Raynor is not gaining time for Kerrigan, he does not assist or support. He flat out destroys the device and finishs the tension-arch. Bloody Gandalf move from Raynor.
            link to youtube.com
            Oh and Dany is actually a power story about the rise of a Queen. She starts with no control over her own body, rises to sidekick, rises to supporting character, rises to small-time leader with kickass abilities and then step by step gains no new powers but new followers. Her challenges and setbacks have to do with governing and leading, she overcomes them, etc. Nice pivot, but right now it is a season spanning regal training montage.

• Asurmen says:

Watch the end cinematic. Kerrigan is the one who kills him, not Raynor. She had help to do it, just like Conan, just like Goku, just like Dany. Your argument that Blizzard are breaking some rule simply does not hold up, because they needed help and significant amount. Goku is the worst example in fact because the only one you can argue he finished by himself was Freiza. Androids he never fought, Cell he fought once and lost and wasn’t the killer it was Gohan and Vegeta, and Buu was a massive joint effort.

• vlonk says:

Essential is not the kill. Essential is the tension of the fight, who is stronger? Who will prevail? Raynor destroys the device and pulls a gun on Mengsk. The fight is over, Raynor won. Hear the anthem of victory when Raynor steps out of the shadows? He gets a witty one liner and then the victory music ends. He has a clear shot on Mengsk and could end it, but he hesitates. See what they did there with the dramaturgy?
            THEN angry defeated Kerrigan comes to her feet and gets to murder Mengsk. Different music, tense music, no relief, angry speeches, then death.
            Raynor cannot kill Mengsk. He is a clishee “golden heart” good guy hero. He cannot pull the trigger, someone else needs to do the deed. Kerrigan can do it, because she is all of a sudden only a supernatural monster, not a hero (anymore). Which is a betrayal of her storyline up to there which led her to be a powerful (struggling/dark) hero who overcomes all challenges. Think: Narutos Sasuke, Wolverine. Kerrigan now is more similar to Frankensteins monster or most of the legends of the golem of chelm by murdering their own creator. Hence my first comment: bad writing/ Raynor fanservice. A sudden change of narrative pushes Kerrigan in an ugly spot. Should have started on a completely different note to pull this story off. There might be a reason I did not find a single positive review about the storyline in HotS in the gaming press. That was different for Wings of Liberty btw.
            I remember Goku pulling some ridiculous energy balls out of the environment. Google tells me those are “genki damas”. These are actually the things necessary in the end to beat pretty much every guy you just listed up (except the Androids, but they are not the main opponent of the story arch). Goku pulled this single handedly and achieves decisive victories over all foes. Dany is on a quest to the throne. She needs to snowball to a military size that rivals Westeros. For her Followers and henchmen = power. Just compare her to Liu Bei from Three Kingdoms (fiction) or many real world military leaders, like Alexander the Great or Genghis Khan.

2. gorgonaut says:

I haven’t paid attention to SC in a long while. Seeing this brings a certain surprise- the art style is just… so, i don’t know, Warcraft-y? It seems a far cry from the design language in the original game, and frankly, it looks kind of bad. Now, I understand that SC is competitive first, aesthetic second. Still, it feels like they’ve pulled back on the design to appeal to World of Warcraft-players, and design-wise suffering for it. This is my opinion based on what I’ve seen here. If I’m wrong, please correct me. If this has been obvious for a while, I’m sorry for rambling about old news:P

• skorpeyon says:

I think they have kind of split the difference between the two. The Terrans, especially, have always been rather “Warcraft-ish”, and Warcraft did come out first, originally. I do agree there has seemed to be some expanding of shoulder areas on both the Protoss and Terran forces, though, which is one of the main things I think about from Warcraft. I don’t feel Starcraft has lost too much of its original design. I think the reality is that the same artists are likely working on both, which is going to create some bleeding in their styles.

• gorgonaut says:

It’s not just she overall top-heavy silhouettes, it’s also the large, flat areas and the diminishing amount of surface detail. Yes, the shapes are cleaner, but also more cartoony. I’m not saying it’s wrong- just that it’s wrong for me. It seems the original design language would be better suited to set SC apart from all the other games with similar aesthetics. As absurd as it feels to type it, this game seems more “childish” now.

• Josh W says:

Yeah, quite pudgy too, the new terran ground unit and the new lurkers particularly.

• JamesTheNumberless says:

I suppose it makes sense. The original Starcraft followed on from Warcraft 2 – which had a style somewhere in between realistic (as far as the graphics of the day could allow) and cartoony but which was much more cartoony than its main competition, Command & Conquer. So Starcraft veered slightly more towards realism. By the time SC2 was in the works we already had Warcraft 3 and WoW setting a more cartoony precedent and I think it’s only natural that Blizzard would want to have a more consistent look and feel accross all their games since it’s probably more efficient use of art resources – not to mention the millions of people who are comfortable with WoW. Personally I think it suits the larger-than-the-universe comic-book space opera narrative better.

• Elusiv3Pastry says:

*click*
        “This is not Warcraft in space!”
        *click*
        “It’s much more complex!”

• kud13 says:

It’s much more SOPHISTICATED!
          *click*
          I KNOW it’s not 3D!

• dskzero says:

Blame Warhammer, which is what Blizzard wanted to do to begin with.

3. JamesTheNumberless says:

I’m happy with waiting for these games, the first two were worth it – the only games in recent memory that I’ve “binge played” to completion shortly after release. Yes the story is cheesy, but surely it’s intentionally so? Single player SC2 is the most unabashed camp space-fun since Samuel J Jones donned lycra and headed for the planet Mongo.

• Chris Cunningham says:

Wings of Liberty was worth it: I’m seemingly alone in really liking the single-player story (and not really caring about it having retconned some events from fifteen years previously), especially the side quests and upgrades. It was also of a difficulty level that made it unlikely that one would complete every mission on the first attempt while grabbing every achievement in the process.

HOTS did away with all of that. The campaign almost immediately hit a terrible reset button, the base screens were nowhere near as involving, and it was so insultingly easy that the challenge basically boiled down to seeing if one could complete a given mission without losing a single troop (and, after Kerrigan powered up the the level expected of a Metzen-written hero, without buying any other troops in the first place).

I don’t hold any hopes for LOTV’s single-player on that basis. Due to the needs of the multiplayer community too many of the core units look to be based around the sort of insane micro I can’t be bothered with, and I’ve seen nothing from Blizzard’s storywriting department post-WOL (across any of their three core franchises) to suggest it won’t just be a sloppy love letter to an invincible Zeratul with a small cast of imminently forgettable alien stereotypes providing cutscene lines.

• Zekiel says:

I heartily agree.I actually loved Wings of Liberty – I know its not Shakespeare, but I liked the characterisation of Raynor and I’ve got a soft spot for Zeratul’s porteneous overly-vague prophecying. And the missions were generally fantastic. Lots of the units were fun. I’ve played it twice and can imagine playing it again.

But I also found HotS to be a big disappoint. The rest-button, the incoherency of some of Kerrigan’s actions, the boringness of most of the supporting cast… yawn. I can’t really imagine replaying it.

Still looking forward to Legacy of the Void though, cos Protoss are my favourites.

• JamesTheNumberless says:

I agree that Wings’ single player was stronger – the mission design just wasn’t as good for the Zerg expansion. Although Wings did have a few missions that were quite a bit longer than they needed to be, it was a bit less repetitive overall. Although legacy is obviously the Protoss campaign, I live in hope that there will be a few more opportunities to roll out the space mar… err, I mean, the terrans.

4. shoptroll says:

“Big Stubbly Man and Chitin Stilettos Woman” is the best description of the campaign ever

5. Auru says:

Did I just watch a professionally put together trailer.. for a beta?

Sign of the times I guess.

• EhexT says:

Don’t worry 90% of what you saw in that trailer will not be in the final game. It’s the Blizzard way – if something is too hard to balance, just cut it.

6. EhexT says:

I find it hilarious that you think these units or changes will actually make it longer than a month into Beta. They’ve added and cut half a dozen units just for Legacy of Void in the span of a couple months of Alpha. Blizzard regularly makes big flashy “check out this new unit!” videos and then cuts the unit before the product ever releases. Remember the Terran radiation drone? The Terran Warhound mech? Thors being unique and buildable by SCVs? Charging Ultralisks? Timestop Motherships? etc.

7. EhexT says:

And what’s up with nobody calling them out on how they’re hyping “Archon Mode” as a new thing? Starcraft 1 had the ability for multiple people to control one “player” and it wasn’t limited to 2 either. Does Blizzard just get away with whatever they want (hello ridiculous “you can’t let people from different continents play over the internet together” “the technology just isn’t there”) or are “journalists” going to do their jobs one of these days?

• guygodbois00 says:

Journalists? Which journalists?

• kiwi12 says:

They stopped making innovative new ingame content long ago and sell us old stuff with barley the functionality of how it was.
      How they get away with it? The Name carries all with the achievements of the past…. its that simple.
      Their still flawless art design and smooth mechanics may help to cover the now crippled or finally destroyed franchises.

8. Brosecutor says:

Yeah, that writing. Starcraft used to be about an intergalactic military conflict. These days, it’s all about prophecies and artifacts, because Blizzard lets twelve-year-olds write their storylines. And GET THESE KIDS OFF MY LAWN!

• Azhrarn says:

I don’t know… I seem to recall the mysterious threat of the Xel’Naga being introduced at the end of Broodwar… So it’s not limited to SC2. :)

• Dances to Podcasts says:

Just like most other big name scifi!

9. Carr0t says:

I am with you in that I play Starcraft purely for the single player. I enjoy the game itself, and have to admit a childlike love of the story as well. But i’m not paying what they’re asking. I bought Wings of Liberty on day one. It was OK, I enjoyed it, but not worth what it cost with my lack of interest in multiplayer. Then Heart of the Swarm came out and cost even *more*. No way was I paying that. I only picked it up a relatively short time ago, when Blizzard had a 50% off sale. And at that price (sub- £20), I enjoyed it :)

That’s my issue with a lot of multiplayer-focused games. They don’t have a subscription, but they need to maintain servers etc. So the upfront game is inflated in price. I wish they’d release the game for a more reasonable amount, with maybe 2 months of free multiplayer so people can see if they like it or not, and then a cheap subscription model. It’d only need to be £1 or so a month.

• Moraven says:

WoL was $60, HotS was $40. Standard expansion pricing. Can’t imagine it being much different in EU.

Game just had as much content or more as the original.

• EhexT says:

40 bucks is not standard expansion price and one new campaign and 4-5 new units is not standard expansion content. Standard for Blizzard maybe, but not standard for an RTS. Compare and contrast with what Relic had in a normal expansion (30 bucks at most, at least one entirely new race often 2 plus extra units for the old races and at least one campaign).

• kiwi12 says:

Exactly.

The core of an RTS game is the skirmish mode / multiplayer. If the campaign is good, its only a small plus.

Only Blizz is so shameless overpriced with their addons.

Now again it´s a joke what content they want to deliver us at this price. 2 new units per race, 6 total and some patch worthy changes. Thats all what will have an impact in this RTS game…..
          Not to mention that the Lurker isnt new at all….. they just decided to put it now in the multiplayer and charge money for it.

Im new to SC2 and never played SC1 so i cant compare them. Bought WoL+HotS for 19$ only because it seems like its the only RTS left with a considerable playerbase….sadly its from Blizz (something i would have never said in the past).
          My last real RTS games were Wc3 and WarhammerDoW40k.
          DoW40k every Addon cheap and a whole new race+new units for old races+campaign etc… THOSE were Addons. In the end 9 races total, all different.

Blizz adds all those unnecessary game modes, achievements etc… but when it comes to new stuff like units, mechanics, maps… things that would affect the actual game they´re lazy as fu**.
          They have the same 3 races since SC1 with more or less individual units and they wonder why people get tired of it and play something else.

10. kud13 says:

The last bits of my childhood infatuation with Blizzard went out the window in November of 2010. When WoL came out in July, I insta bought it, and played through it twice in a month or so.
    Then I went back to school, and didn’t touch a computer game for 4 months (law school will do that to you).
    In the middle of November, I had some spare rime, so I decided to fire it up again. After about an hour and a half spent updating on my crappy dorm Internet connection, I was greeted by a sign-in screen that told me my offline profile was no longer valid, and I could only play the game I paid for as “guest”.

I walked away and never looked back. Occasionally I get emails from Battle.net having to do with my password. When that happens, I respond back letting them know my account’s probably been hacked. As i’ve never owned WoW, I don’t know what good my account will do to the Chinese gold farmers, and, frankly, I don’t care.

Some completionist part of me does want to play through HotS and LotV just to see the story. But it’s small and insignificant. And it’ll probably atrophy soon enough.

WarCraft II made me an RTS junkie, and kept me that way throughout my teenage years, before I started trying other genres (ironically, my forst non-RTS game was Deus Ex. Is there any wonder i’m an adept of the PC Master Race?). WarCraft 3 was the first game whose development I followed rabidly online. StarCraft was the first game I purchased a licensed copy of, instead of pirating.

Blizzard, farewell.

11. Hmm-Hmm. says:

I think it’s a shame that in their desire to draw out the game and get as much money from people they effectively bleed their franchise dry.

Okay, so I didn’t get Wings of Liberty because of what I heard about the story and that matters to me, but I think it’s a shame because Starcraft, while not being particularly inventive in its storytelling, at least had some decent, coherent story. And good gameplay.