Hack The Planet: Steam Cyberpunk Sale

On it.

Allow me to establish my cyberpunk credentials: I live in a dystopian megacity block, have blue hair, own two pairs of mirror shades, romanticise being a wreck, and work on the ‘net. Trust me when I say Steam’s cyberpunk sale is pretty great (though not wholly cyberpunk).

30-odd games brimming with hacking, cybernetic implants, megacities, conspiracies, dystopias, neon lighting, and The Man are going cheap. You’ll find, for example, classics like System Shock 2 and Deus Ex for pocket change, and good prices on newer cyber ’em ups like Gemini Rue, Jazzpunk, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, and Transistor.

You don’t need me to tell you SS2 or Deus Ex is great, mind, so here’s one you might not consider: E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy. It’s a weird, often-baffling, wonky, and hugely ambitious FPS-RPG, and only £0.69 in this sale. The folks behind it are working on Space Hulk: Deathwing, and E.Y.E.’s weirdness gives me hope that Deathwing will be, at the very least, interesting.

System Shock 2 (£1.74) and Deus Ex (£0.99) are great, mind, and I highly recommend them. What else? I hear very good things about Jazzpunk (£5.49) but haven’t got around to it yet. Same goes for Transistor (£5.09). Bloodnet (£2.49) is the only adventure game about cyberpunk vampires and hacking that I know of. Oh, pff, I’m only going to end up listing half the games, so let’s stop here.

The sale will run until 5pm UK time (10am Pacific) on Friday.

Henke says:

I got ALL EXCITED to see the Deus Ex image in the header, thinking there would be some new Deus Ex news. Alas, it’s just about the sale. :|

2. udat says:

Transistor is pretty great. I might like it even more than Bastion.

• RollingStonePT says:

Transistor is really good, however it was at 75% discount just 2 weeks ago.
      I was a bit disappointed that this Cyberpunk Sale, didn’t include the early Fallouts (1, 2 and Tactics) neither the Shadowrun games

• DyingFlutchman says:

I can understand the Shadowrun bit, but why did you expect Fallout at all? It has very little to do with Cyberpunk at all.

• Bodylotion says:

I’m not an expert on Cyberpunk but I do know Fallout is no cyberpunk, otherwise every Sci/fi game could be defined as cyberpunk. On a serious note though: You’ve been waiting all this time to buy the Fallout classics even though they have only been a few bucks over the past few sales?

• dorobo says:

Btw fallout is cyberpunk. Maybe not direct equivalent of term meaning but there’s plenty of subgenres now. It would be atompunk. But for me all this cool stuff is cyberpunk anyways :p

• gunny1993 says:

I’d argue that Atompunk is too distinct from cyberpunk (It literally removes all the cyber), so it would be a derivative.

• imperialus says:

No Cyberpunk is a dystopian near future characterized by overcrowding, advanced computer technology, AR/VR, robotics, and cybernetics. Power is typically (but not always) held by some sort of corporate oligarchy or monopoly…

Fallout is post apocalyptic science fiction pure and simple. It’s in the same genre as Canticle for Lebowitz.. WTF is this “atompunk”?

• dorobo says:

I would say it’s neither but for me it leans toward cyberpunk more… It has gangs drugs weird gadgets etc. It has that cyberpunk vibe if we just for a second forget the cyber part of the term. Sci-fi is this more idealistic no antihero clean lasers spaceships thing… :]

• Shadow says:

Cyberpunk critically requires widespread and pervasive technology, which simply isn’t there in post-apocalyptic circumstances, where there’s only remnants of the old infrastructure.

And therefore Fallout is most certainly not cyberpunk by any reasonable interpretation.

• dorobo says:

This is a good comment from Thomas Eicher, about defining cyberpunk:

“Gibson said it in a short story somewhere. Cyberpunk is the stuff that has EDGE written all over it. You know, not edge, it’s written EDGE. All capital letters. Now ask me how I’d define EDGE. Well, EDGE is not about definitions. To the contrary, things so well known that they provide an exact definition can’t be EDGE. They probably once were but now they ain’t. SO DON’T TRY TO DEFINE IT!!!”

• April March says:

So cyberpunk is about EDGE magazine?

• dorobo says:

Agreed but I got fallouts on earlier sale. Still no time to play them.

• CKScientist says:

I didn’t like Transistor as much as Bastion. I thought that the core game play wasn’t that great and that the story was hard to follow. The main voice actor didn’t really suit his role, either.

On the other hand, the graphics were really pretty and the music was great. Also, I really liked Royce’s voice actor and his dialog. He is probably my favorite video game character.

• EhexT says:

I loved Transistors combat more than Bastions but the ending is crap. The main character is a goddamn idiot.

• Synesthesia says:

I liked it, but I couldn’t get past that death penalty. Losing powers lowered a lot my plans for wild experimentation, and i sticked to tried and proven combos. I got bored soon enough, and it’s sitting unplayed right now. A shame.

• jonfitt says:

I was playing it for the first time recently. I didn’t die too much but from what I could see the death penalty only lasts until you get to the next node thingy.
        It works quite well as something you try to avoid but don’t have to quick load out of.

3. Jurple says:

No true ‘punk would own two of anything. Hell, no true ‘punk would own, period :)

4. ribby says:

Anyone seen the new Dwarf Fortress notes- interesting stuff, I figure it might be worth a short article

Harlander says:

Oh, hey, it’s got Dex on there. I’ve been keeping a weather eye on it but I’ll wait for it to come out of early access methinks.

Some other stuff I’d never even heard of in there…

Harlander says:

Also, has anyone played Master Reboot now it’s apparently finished?

6. ansionnach says:

Looks like there are some great games in there, alright. Am I the only one who sees the irony in the connection between common cyberpunk themes and a potential dystopian future (present?) where Steam DRM rules with an iron fist?!? Why I was taking it easy in my cell’s secret hideout the other day when the dogs started barking and a Steam-powered Terminator infiltration unit broke in. I took it out in the firefight that ensued but my picture of Sarah Connor was burnt to ashes. The anger I felt at losing her, and the fear that I might lose her again is what’s made me spring into action from the disorienting white light and pain of being born into present-day 1984. Would have thought May 12th was a Saturday but how and ever…

Blood Dragon is hilarious and well worth a look, especially if you haven’t played a Ubisoft game in a few years.

7. dethtoll says:

All this and no Shadowrun? For shame.

• Paul B says:

Shadowrun Returns & Dragonfall are about the most cyperpunky games I can think of, so it’s a shame not to see them included in the sale.

Also, off-topic, I’ve just heard about Steam’s new 14-day refund policy, provided you don’t download and play the game you’re returning. Sounds like step in the right direction to me.

• AngoraFish says:

Actually, this is not correct. All that Steam has added is a rider that residents of the EU must waive all rights to a refund or else Steam won’t let you complete your purchase.

• AngoraFish says:

Actual text: By clicking “Purchase” you agree that Valve provides you immediate access to digital content as soon as you complete your purchase, without waiting the 14-day withdrawal period. Therefore, you expressly waive your right to withdraw from this purchase.

• jrodman says:

I expect that would not survive a determined court challenge.

• Paul B says:

Hmm, this is what happens when I get my tech news from Digital Spy, a celeb gossip site.

And now the original article stating the two week Steam refund window has gone missing on their site.

• Paul B says:

Found it again – this time on a more reliable techy web-site:
            link to hexus.net

• souroldlemon says:

I’ve been wanting it to do that for ages, ever since i bought two steam games then saw one on sale elsewhere cheaper and the other with no drm, and hadn’t yet downloaded them. I feel that it should be EU law that the right to a cool-off period on online purchases also applies to online content which has been bought but not been downloaded.

• slight says:

Shadowrun *is* in the current Humble Bundle though!

8. DragonOfTime says:

I find it odd that both Dreamfall: The Longest Journey and Dreamfall: Chapters are both discounted, but the original TLJ isn’t, especially since it is at least as cyberpunk than the others.

9. Bodylotion says:

I really doubt all of those games in the sale are Cyberpunk. I could be wrong but then I’ve got the wrong impression of Cyberpunk.

Games like:
    -Not The Robots
    -Crysis
    -Mirrors Edge
    -Mars War Logs

Again, I could be wrong. Just saying

• gunny1993 says:

Not sure about the others, but Mirrors Edge is probably a tentative cyberpunk. Obviously has a police state vibe, and strong contexts of The Man vs The People. But lacks the trans-human elements that Cyberpunk is pretty synonymous with.

Harlander says:

I think you could get Mars: War Logs in under a loose use of the term, although it’s not quite what you’d think of as an obvious cyberpunk setting. More it’s got elements of that, with a bit of a post-apocalyptic feel and a little bit of a gothic twinge at the edges.

• malkav11 says:

Not to mention Boo Bunny Plague. And I’m pretty sure the SF bits of Dreamfall weren’t cyberpunk either. But I suppose complaining about getting discounts on games is a bit churlish, whether or not they fit the theme.

• Kaeoschassis says:

I sort of suspect there just aren’t enough undeniably cyberpunk games on steam for a full-blown sale. As pointed out above, who are we to complain if they toss in more cheap games just to round out the numbers?

10. Darkheart says:

Cyberpunk or not, I already own most of the games I’m interested in on that list.

Dex seems to be far from finished, so I will wait. Same for Satellite Reign. Also I cannot justify spending 20€+ on a game I may come around to play in a year. Blood Dragon sadly disqualifies itself by being UPlay…

• Distec says:

GAAAHHHH Thanks for reminding me. I’ve been eyeballing that game since yesterday, thinking “Ey, why not? Seems like excellent value for that price!”. I was wondering why I hadn’t bought it yet…

11. sincarne says:

No. That’s it. I’m putting my foot down.

No more cyber-anything until I get my Quadrilateral Cowboy.

12. Oakreef says:

Deus Ex collection is also on sale and less than €7 for the entire series. Despite the negativity around the titles I still got great enjoyment out of Invisible War and The Fall.

• Kaeoschassis says:

I suspect Invisible War will be much easier for people to enjoy now than it was on release, simply because it doesn’t have the same hype or expectations attached. I agree, by the way, had plenty of fun with it and have completed it probably three or four times over the years.
      Of course, like almost every owner of a computer in the entire universe, I’ve completed Deus Ex probably a dozen times and started it just to mess around like twice that. But that’s not the point. Invisible War doesn’t have to be perfect to be fun.

Qazinsky says:

I agree with you guys. I feel about Invisible war as I do about STALKER:Clear Sky, it might have taken a few steps back in some gameplay ways, but it also got a few other things that makes up for some of it. I feel horrible for saying this, but I cannot stand Deus Ex’s graphics, I am not really all about the graphics, but Deus Ex’s are… harsh. Invisible war on realistic difficulty is great though, a headshot kills, usually both ways. You can jump up and grab ledges to climb up.

More immersive FPRPGS please like this, please.

13. CookPassBabtridge says:

I wonder what’s happening with Cyberpunk 2077

Harlander says:

Still on track for a 2016 release, I gather

• Kaeoschassis says:

Now that’s misleading marketing.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

Hmm I hope it does see the light of day. I am hoping for a cross between Deus Ex: HR, Skyrim and System Shock 2 – super immersive-sim type thing. Also want nice super desriable chocolatey tactile touchey tech ( I dunno I get all touchey with nice looking technology. Adam Jensen constantly made me want to eat plain chocolate when he had his ‘arms’ on) interpsersed with all that story and grit and moral greyness.

• iniudan says:

It progressing I would guess, but CD Projekt Red current focus is Witcher 3, thus not talking about Cyberpunk at least until it is release, why divert attention for your other release. =p

14. Billzor says:

Anyone played Hacker Evolution before? What’s the difference between it and Uplink?

• Kaeoschassis says:

The main difference is that Uplink is ‘sandboxy’ – though it has a pretty great set of main story-driven missions – whereas Hacker Evolution is an entirely linear story-driven deal. If I recall, Hacker’s also pretty much entirely keyboard driven via command prompts whereas Uplink’s mostly mouse-work. Aside from that… uh, Uplink is blue and Hacker is orange?

Honestly though, for my money Uplink’s the better game. If you’ve already played it and just want “more Uplink”, I’d suggest the fanmade mod Onlink, which I am too sleepy to go dig up right now but is worth the two minutes of googling. Evolution is by no means a bad game, though. I have heard the later games in the Hacker series were pretty bad, but I haven’t played ’em.

• ShDragon says:

Kaeoschassis covered most of it. Uplink is a lot more Sandboxy, Hacker is a lot more puzzley. Uplink you’re encouraged to go it your way, Hacker is a lot more about finding the solution to the puzzle presented to you. I still had fun with it, but it is a different beast.

15. Sin Vega says:

EYE Divine Stupidname is a steal at that price. Even if you wind up hating it (which would be understandable, as it has a lot of big problems), it’s totally worth taking a punt on, as if you don’t hate it, you’re not likely to play a more memorably bonkers game for a long time.

• iniudan says:

Yup, Divine Cybermancy is a brilliant mess, it got some great gameplay element and environment but good luck knowing wtf is going on at time.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Oh, FINE. I have enough in my steam wallet from card sales to grab the thing for free. No idea how it’ll run on this clunky old laptop but it’s got to be worth a try.

This is the third game I’ve ended up buying specifically because of you, by the way. I hope you’re happy.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Oh look, it has a demo. Jeez. Remember when big budget titles had demos? Remember when you could easily find out whether or not something will run on your system? I miss those days.

• Sin Vega says:

Quite! But I would be happier still if you bought me some chips.

16. Haborym says:

Is that perhaps a Hackers reference?

17. caff says:

If you like adventure games, get Gemini Rue.

Then do what I did and buy and play all the Wadjet Eye games available until you are craving more.

18. 7vincent7black7 says:

I can’t believe the writer of this article hasn’t played or mentioned that Dreamfall: The Longest Journey AND Dreamfall Chapters is in there. I’ve been wanting to get Chapters and see what happens after The Longest Journey, but my god man! The Longest Journey, and DreamFall (the game that comes before it which isn’t in that list admittedly) are great games. Their combat isn’t their strong suit, but hte rest of the game’s facets are absolutely lovely. You need to play those games. Buy them at all costs!