12 Observations About SteamVR

Through a series of fortunate events, I found myself in a backroom at EGX Rezzed last week, wearing a plastic box on my face, clutching a wand-shaped controller in each hand and walking around digital worlds. I was trying out SteamVR, aka the HTC Vive, and it was… well, in the longer term I need to go and have a hard think about how to meaningfully convey experiences* with essentially involve perceiving new realities. For now, I’ll be merely practical.

Graham’s already told you about his experiences with SteamVR, and I’m sure there’ll be some repetition here but I’ll do my best to give you as much detail as I can. It is worth stating that a combination of limited time with the system and, frankly, being so engrossed in what it was it showing me does mean that I simply wasn’t able to glean a raft of technical detail.

– I was much less aware that I was wearing a headset than I am with the Rift. I think this is down to a combination of the physical facebox being lighter and more comfortable, and the scene it presents being both less pixelly and ‘bigger’. I’m genuinely not sure how much the latter is down to field of view tinkering (every demo I played was custom made for the Vive, remember) and how much it’s to do with being able to walk around the spaces I was shown. In any case, the screen door effect – which I find extremely bothersome on the Oculus DK2 – was massively reduced. You can still see pixels if you look for them, and it’s not as crisp as looking at a 1080p monitor, but these were issues I had to actively scrutinise the image for, not things which jumped out at me. At no point did I think ‘oh dear, that needs to improve if this thing’s to be a goer.’

– Non-gamers may take to it more immediately than gamers. I kept forgetting to walk around or to crane my head because I’m so used to not being able to, but at the same time I was aware of a dim, instinctive desire to move my legs and bend my back. My brain was interpreting all I saw as a real space, but decades of gaming was getting in the way of natural motion. It came back to me gradually, but for folk who haven’t spent quite so long in front of a monitor it’s going to be there right away.

– The spatial mapping of the controllers is incredibly precise. Holding a wand-shaped controller in my hand (each hand, to be precise) immediately puts me in mind of a Wiimote, and the wiggly, broad motion clumsiness that entails, but these seemed to go exactly where I wanted them to go. The downside of this is that I swiftly became accustomed to such precision, to being able to have the game accurately reflect what I was doing with my hands, to the point that I became slightly frustrated that I was holding a controller. I wanted to reach out and grab objects in the ‘game’, because it so powerfully felt as though that was possible, but sadly I was restricted to jabbing with a plastic stick. Said stick still wasn’t as ‘fast’ as mouse pointing (partly because you’re crossing so much more space to interact with something), but it’s a significant leap on from Wiis et al, and a far more natural way to play VR than trying to use a keyboard and mouse or traditional gamepad blind. Reach out and touch – this, as much as walking, was what VR has sorely needed.

– The majority of the experiences I was shown primarily involved experiencing things rather than effecting things. I’m walking around the deck of a mystical underwater galleon, flicking tiny fish away with the wand or seeing a huge – and I mean huge, the scale of thing when wearing a Vive was genuinely overwhelming – whale swim alongside me. I’m in the depths of Aperture labs as the room’s disassembled around me, giddy with mild vertigo as I stare into cavernous doom beneath me. I’m shuffling away from the edge, whipping my head around to take it all in, but essentially I’m inside a cutscene. A glorious, reality-warping cutscene which makes playing ‘normal’ games seem positively antique, and which I crave more of, but I’m not left much the wiser about what playing a full-length, more traditionally interactive game is going to be like in SteamVR. Maybe that just won’t happen anyway, and maybe it won’t need to – key to getting this thing right is game-makers understanding what is and isn’t appropriate to VR. As Valve’s Chet Faliszek said in his talk at Rezzed, we used to play first-person shooters without mouselook; we didn’t know that we needed mouselook until it came along. Perhaps that will be the case with SteamVR (and its rivals) – one day there’ll be a game containing the little innovation that makes everything fall into place.

– Room size may be an issue. While you can set the distance of the base stations and the in-game scene will adjust its size to reflect this, so in theory this won’t suffer from the excessive space requirements of Microsoft’s ill-fated Kinect, a small space may feel unsatisfactory. Even within a relatively sizeable room I ran into the pop-up walls which denote the boundaries of the in-game world – apparently shown that way because people instinctively respond to a wall as a limitation and generally won’t even try to push through it – a few times. Thanks to the lunacy of the UK housing market, I can’t hope to have too much unfettered floor space to play with, and so am slightly worried I’ll be selling myself short once I’ve got a Vive.

– The most game-y demos were the most Wii-like. Particularly Job Simulator, which involved grabbing assorted oversized kitchen ingredients and attempting to make a basic sandwich or soup out of them, and in that case the joy came from the clumsiness of not having fingers. Opening a fridge, trying to slam an egg onto a counter-top to break it open, hurrying to put tomatoes between bread in time… The laughter and the wonder was that of the Wii, back when that felt fresh and new, but the big difference is that I was in that kitchen rather than looking at it on a screen. I was, I assure you, in that small, cartoonish room. It felt more like being on some gameshow than playing a videogame, as I dashed and pirouetted and fumbled. (It also put me in mind of my toddler’s current love for pretend cooking with plastic food, and for a moment I was right there with her. To be transported back to the simple, pure wonder of a child is a precious thing). It was riotously funny, but it was short and simple. Again, a big question mark hangs over how effectively this tech can handle a bigger and/or more traditional game.

– I never once struggled with a sense of unreality or uncanniness. My brain cheerfully went right along with interpreting a colourful cartoon environment as being the place I was physically in. Clearly, I was aware I was inside a game – this isn’t rewriting consciousness – but that didn’t stop me from perceiving everything around as present and psychical. Being able to walk around and ‘touch’ stuff is an essential part of this fantasy. You can move your whole body as you would move your whole body in life. An Oculus, while still impressive, is by comparison more like moving your head around within a large bowl.

– Relatedly, I was completely aware of where my body was despite being able to see none of it. At one point I was stood too far back when the scene transitioned to a new demo, and my arm clipped through a boundary wall. I couldn’t see my arm, but I knew this had happened because I could see a wall where I knew my arm was. I had a split second of panic – I’ve lost an arm, oh God – before stepping forwards, thus disentangingly my invisible arm from the pretend wall and breathing a sigh of relief. In a way, this mishap was the most powerful moment of the presentation for me, because it involved my truly feeling that my body was inside this made-up place. I suspect we’re going to see some amazing experiments playing with this sort of stuff.

– My favourite demo was the painting one. I swirled the wands around like sparklers, drawing fluid patterns in the air. When I stepped back and around, I saw what had seemed a flat image become three-dimensional spirals, reflecting the depth of each stroke. My lousy brushwork became these wondrous, floating sculptures, like frozen spells. Partly this stood out because it was so very pretty, but mostly, I think, it was because I had some true agency within a SteamVR demo – the others, as I say, broadly involved things happening to me, rather than vice-versa.

– Valve’s own demo – the aforementioned Portal vignette – was the most ostensibly impressive, because clearly they always have to go one better than everyone else. The scale, depth and detail was dizzying, and it was very funny too. One aspect of it which hasn’t been mentioned so much is that it managed to effectively create the illusion of more rooms beyond the one I was stood in. I couldn’t walk into them, clearly (and the scene was set up in a way that I knew, at a glance, they were out of bounds), but my God, the way it made the already large-feeling ‘room’ I was in explode into enormity… Even if Valve never released anything else for SteamVR themselves, we’d still be talking about this one for quite some time, I think. Also, this stuff is probably going to put theme parks out of business.

– While as I say I can’t speak to longer experiences, SteamVR felt ready for primetime in the way that nothing I’ve tried on Oculus does. I’ve had some great times with my Rift, but it always felt like a collection of compromises coalescing into fascinating experiments rather than a system I could use to play games with, or even would want (even the DK2 gives me headaches, some motion sickness and simple discomfort). I was entirely comfortable in this kit – other than in terms of my embarrassed awareness that an unseen Valve guy was watching me flail about – I didn’t ever have to squint and I felt like I wanted to stay there for as long as my body allowed. (Which probably won’t be long; I drink far too much tea). I’m conscious that the demos I was shown were very carefully tailor-made for a gosh-wow presentation and thus may not be truly indicative of what this is like in a less controlled environment, but even so – moment to moment, it blew everything I’ve tried on any other VR system out of the water. I do expect the wow factor to wear off to some degree, but existing within the scenes it showed me felt so natural that I’m not all concerned about it being a short-lived gimmick. The naturalness is the key to all this, I think.

– Honestly, nothing I’ve told you here is remotely useful. To use this system is to be overwhelmed by it and to want it; to try and break all that down into words is, for now, a fool’s errand. Perhaps, when most of us have got to try it, the shared experience will allow descriptions to mean more, but right now I’m trapped in broadly practical description of what is essentially your consciousness transporting to another direction. I may have nit-picked here, but believe me when I say that SteamVR was a flabbergasting experience. So long as it can roll out widely enough, and so long as it’s affordable, I think this is more than capable of rewriting gaming’s rulebook.

* In a later conversation with a Valve staffer, I ended up equating describing the experience to trying to convey the wonder of seeing one’s child grow from baby to toddler, how important and overwhelming it felt to see your little one become capable of basic, everyday motor and communication skills that the majority of human beings have. If you haven’t witnessed that yourself, it probably just sounds trite and meaningless. Two entirely different things (and one far more precious than the other, of course), but similar in terms of the impossibility of description.

1. hollowroom says:

Do you know if this can work without the wands? As in with a controller or mouse / keyboard instead? Or with one wand? I asked this before but haven’t been able to find out.

• Justoffscreen says:

The wands are just secondary devices like a controller- it all depends on if the game in questions supports the different input types. The tech demos discussed above were built for the wands, so probably not for those, no.

• flibbidy says:

the wands are positioned in the same way that the headset is, with magical lasers – so while you could use a normal controller to do things, it wouldn’t know where your hands were.

distantlurker says:

One assumes then that if you’re sitting down ‘old-skool’, the body positioning would be largely off (head tracking still soemewhat essential) and you could ditch the wands for k/b mouse, pad, or stick.

Loses some of the :-O but would be more compatible with existing gaming experiences.

Guessing here ofc.

• hollowroom says:

Ah magical lasers, where would we be without them?

These replies tally with what I’ve been able to find out – I’m really hoping that Valve keep the spec quite loose so you can use what you like.

• flibbidy says:

From what i understand, it will function as an oculus would if you’re sat at your desk or playing a “cockpit” game (could be a real cockpit or an fps where you move with the keyboard or whatever) – but also has the room tracking if applicable.

Wisq says:

I’m glad that they’re going with external tracking systems like lasers etc. I realise that accelerometers have come a long way since the old days, but while they’re great for measuring rotation, they’re not so great at measuring position over time without some drift creeping in.

Really, I’d be happy with VR if it just provided the old “six degrees of freedom” we got from TrackIR, without the downside of having to compress that near-360º of head motion into less than 180º so we can still see the screen (awkwardly, out of the corner of our eyes). That’d be enough to revive flight/space/truck sims for me. Anything beyond that is a bonus, as far as I’m concerned — and it’s sounding like there’ll be tons of bonus.

2. Kemuel says:

I keep wondering how this could be made compatible with larger environments. Whilst everything that’s been written about it sounds absolutely mindblowing, I can’t work out how you’d use this for games that don’t take place within a space analagous to the size of your play area. I mean, not without losing all the good stuff at least.

cairbre says:

I had the exact same thought. I cant wait to see what the solutions are.

particlese says:

I’ve been idly excited for a while because one of the tricks you can play is to turn the virtual world slowly and appropriately such that a straight line walked in the virtual world is curved enough in the real one to keep you inside the real room’s boundaries. Infinite space! Thinking about it now, though, I remembered that rotating the virtual world is a pretty good way of making one nauseous. This video suggests a space of about 45m long and wide is needed before the user stops noticing they’re being messed with, which sounds vaguely reasonable to non-expert me.* They also mention overlapping spaces, which could work well for corridor shooters, if nothing else. That’s something which is old hat for engines from Build to UE1 (up to a certain number of “zones”) to whatever version of Source is used in The Stanley Parable, so it won’t even require some super-special game engine. They also talk about making you move faster in the game than in real life by some factor, but I think I’d rather use a joystick if I was given the choice.

*Oh! Actually, there’s the always-good-for-a-laugh galvanic vestibular stimulation to help with that. (half-sarcasm)

Definitely looking forward to seeing/experiencing other tricks folks come up with as more money starts flying around the VR industry and academic circles, though.

• rcguitarist says:

That small round treadmill thing that I have seen people using with the Rift. It will be perfect for this and will give you unlimited movement area.

• schlusenbach says:

If they could convey the illusion of some kind of virtual segway (and make the controls work somehow, perhaps by leaning) it should be possible to move in larger areas quite naturally.

• Nibblet says:

An omni directional threadmill would probably be needed for the full “holodeck” experience.
      My guess is that we will see alot of early VRgames where the ingame protagonist is sitting down and controlling a vehicle of some kind.
      1st person shooters would feel alot more natural if your ingame avatar was in the driver seat of a mech for example.

• hotmaildidntwork says:

Building off of that they could also probably do a lot with “space within a space” methods like captaining a small spacecraft. A portion of your play area could be used for the cabin of your vehicle, and maybe some additional area outside of that could be used for docking with space stations/other ships/etc. Meanwhile the majority of “travel” is handled by the actual vehicle in the same manner as a normal game.

I would say that one of the most critical things is how well this sort of system is going to be able to adapt to the “terrain” of a given play area both in terms of furniture and obstacles in the real world and the fact that most people’s houses aren’t just perfectly quadrilateral rooms connected without hallways.

• Modifier says:

Just to remind or enlighten people not aware of their existence, the two competing Omni directional treadmills are the Virtuix Omni and Cyberith Virtualizer. The main apparent differences between the treadmills has a slightly curved treadmill which should theoretically allow for longer strides, whilst attempting to mimic how we run. The Cyberith has a completely flat surface which could potentially increase immersion, as when the feet make contact with the surface it won’t feel as if you are walking inside a small bowl, and the foot should also hit the ground at the same time in which the in game characters feet hit the ground, rather than slightly before. Crouching and slow walking also appear to be slightly easier within the Cyberith. The Virtuix also requires specific shoes to use on it’s treadmill which could enable more fluid movement due to the materials, where as the Cyberith can be used with a pair of socks. I can’t say at this point whether designed shoes or standard socks are the way to go.

Both have a few more features that differentiates themselves for one another, a quick google search will give you all the information that you require.

• Modifier says:

Edit: The Virtuix has a slightly curved treadmill.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

The treadmills suffer from being uncomfortable. You are not really walking – you are forcing your chest against a bar which lets you push your feet around on a static surface. It becomes uncomfortable fast and there is a disconnect between feeling and vision. It also takes up a huge amount of space. The Lighthouse system gives real, full movement and is compact, but lacks the ability to really run or walk for any length of time without special space warping tricks.

cairbre says:

It all sounds so cool.

• Runty McTall says:

I am rapidly approaching squee overload with all this VR news.

So. Frickin. Cool.

• Cinek says:

They should finally release one of these…. this waiting is killing me. hehe

4. Wurzel says:

You know what game would be perfect with this? Magic Carpet! You have a limited plane you can move about on, peer over the edges of, etc., that also moves about through a 3D world. Plus you could use the wands as a gesture system for magic spells.

Similarly, some sort of bathysphere or space capsulepiloting sim, where you have to manipulate instruments surrounding you while keeping watch out through portholes.

• Bender says:

I think you are completely right. Magic carpet, that brings back memories…

• Kitsunin says:

I recall an arcade game where you are flying in a pedal-powered hang-glidey thing. The peripheral is a pedal-bike machine, and there are fans underneath which simulate airflow.

That would be amazing with a headset. Actually, a ton of great possibilities open up within an arcade setting.

5. amateurviking says:

I totes predicted the controller in a comment aaaages ago that I cannot find. But I did.

There’s no actual evidence, but it’s a fact.

6. udat says:

I’m sort of excited to try this, but my PC is in my study, which is a 2.5 metre by 3.5 metre room with a desk and shelves and whatnot in it. I can’t see the “play space” thing going my way to be honest.

Myabe I’ll have to move.

• Vandelay says:

This is my thought on the Vive too. I’m sure we are not alone in having our PCs in a small space (I have my computer in the bedroom that, although big, would need the bed taken out every time I wanted to use this for any movement.) As incredible as this all sounds, I really need to hear about the non-walking around version of this before I can get excited about it being a viable purchase.

• DXN says:

I’m hoping that with all this streamy type stuff it’ll be possible to play in a different room from your PC, in which case I think I can get about 7ft square in my living room if I move some things around. If anything’s gonna motivate me to move some furniture, it’s this!

7. His Divine Shadow says:

apparently it uses those completely generic tracking dots (‘usb for VR input’, according to Gabe), which can be attached to anything. does it look like it should be possible to attach them to gloves to get a functional representation of hands with fingers?

8. Synesthesia says:

want want want. This is going to wreck my bank account when i have to make it ship to argentina, won’t it.

Is there any talk of compatibility with already functioning vr games, like assetto corsa? When will the devkit be out?

9. CookPassBabtridge says:

Hi Alec, can relate so much to what you say about attempting to describe what VR is like to someone who has not experienced it. John Carmack a while ago said “it makes converts on contact”, but it does NEED that contact. Its frustrating when you see people dismissing it as just a 3d TV in a sweaty face box when they have not actually used one – they are only describing the closest thing they can imagine its like.

I think one of the most frustrating facts to VR at the moment is that its out there, sitting there, but so few people actually have the opportunity to try it. I kind of hope there will be a sudden opening of VR Arcades or something, in a kind of reliving of the 80’s Arcade popularity, or at least having units in tech shops for people to try. Sure, well written articles like this one can create a desire, but actually seeing people TRY VR, and the instant “oh my god I had no idea it was like THAT” effect it has never gets old. They just look at you with that “holy shit” face on.

I dunno, maybe I will hire a flatbed lorry, put some nice decor and charming people in the back with some high spec rigs and DK2’s, and wheel it round the country and just stop places. How about an RPS sponsored “VR Carriage for Futuristic Ladies and Gentlemen of Distinction”? :D

10. mashkeyboardgetusername says:

“when I’ve got a Vive”

I don’t know if that was intentional or a freudian slip type thing, but it said an awful lot. A straight up acknowledgement that this is something you don’t just want to get, you will unquestionably get.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

If you already own a VR headset, its kind of a given. A bit like saying “at some point I will upgrade my graphics card at some point”. For those who are yet to try VR, its “I wonder if I will enjoy VR”. For those that have tried it, its “when will I get the headset that finally ticks all the boxes”. The Vive looks like it very much ticks the boxes, especially as Oculus has communicated so little about their consumer headset. Even in rabidly pro-VR communities like Oculus reddit, the talk there is overwhelmingly about the Vive. Valve have really stolen a march on Oculus.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

Damn this lack of editing. “at some point”… twice.

11. waltC says:

It would be really nice to discover whether this setup you tested relies on stereoscopy or whether it will work just as well for people with limited/no vision in one eye…I guess it’s obvious that the *whole enchilada* of this kind of “VR” is based on the stereoscopy illusion, eh? This is going to be tough to implement because of the way the brain works in interpreting images from the eyes–everyone’s works a bit uniquely. Right now, without a lot more information as to what it takes to power the goggles, which leads to cost analysis & developer friendliness and so on, it’s really almost impossible to evaluate what you looked at. Still, I think a critical test for any of these devices will come when it’s possible to game in them for a *couple of hours* at a stretch–to see if that’s even possible at the moment. So many unanswered questions…

• bj says:

It doesn’t rely on stereoscopy any more than reality does. Most of the other depth cues will still be present – parallax from 1:1 head tracking is the big one, and if forced to choose, I’d take that over stereoscopy every time. In my experience, the tiniest head movement being correctly reflected has much more of an impact on whether you truly feel as if you’re there.

The virtual cameras are placed at the exact position your eyes are at, configured on a per-user basis, so the brain can just keep doing whatever it’s used to doing, quirks and all, and things will look ‘normal.’ Unless you don’t want them to, of course. It’s a very odd experience to change the distance between your eyes. You still feel exactly the same, but the world appears to shrink or grow around you.

• quintesse says:

No, stereoscopy is not the only part of it, although it’s undeniably it’s most important part. But because of the very precise head-tracking parallax and effect like it play a role as well. So the fact that for example moving your head from side to side changes the image will give the brain additional depth information. So even people with problems should be able to enjoy this.

12. Wedge says:

Sounds interesting, but not really applicable to gaming as we know it. The whole moving around the room with motion controls and all just isn’t something I have any interest in VR for, though I guess it might be a good sell to the public? Also kinda surprised Occulus doesn’t have anything new to show yet, makes me doubtful of them having a commercial product this year.

Also I think it would be super cool to see this technology combined with something like the Steel Battalion controller, where you could have an integrated version of the controller show up virtually in game while making use of the physical one.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

Did you watch the Valve presentation? Pretty early on he says that VR is NOT going to be about gaming as we know it at all, and we’ve known that for a long time. FPS sucks in it. In the video he compares it to the emergence of several new technologies throughout history and our tendency to conceptualise it in terms of what we already know, which is short sighted. VR is not going to be “games but in VR”, its going to be something else.

Inventing the tech has only been the first part of the equation, which is what he goes on to talk about in the second part of the talk.

• Thankmar says:

“…its going to be something else.”
        This. As mentioned, VR seems to work with certain genres better than others. From this, it will add to the ways of playing games to the known ones (playing PC-Games at a desk, playing console games on your coach, using a classic controller, using a motion controller, playing games on touchscreens etc.). It will not change gaming as a whole, since genres like FPS are to popular to be totally dismissed. And think of strategy games or management simulations, which won´t get as much out of VR as other genres like the mentioned vehicle games. So it will be a great addition, one which adds experience and presence on a much more visceral level, and there will be some games and things which can´t be done otherwise. But its more on the level of presentation and experience. It is not like the actual paradigm shift of 3D-graphics, which changed the way game world would be represented. But like movies in general still work like they worked when they added sound (they are still working this way, but not made this way anymore), games as a whole will continue to work like they used to, but in more variety. 2D-Platformers are back at large, because their ruleset in itself is complete and fun to play. They are still here because they weren´t lacking anything which would be added by 3D-graphics. And these “complete rulesets” apply to other genres as well, I think, and a gadget which dismisses these will not change gaming as a whole (and the difficulties of moving in FPS in VR while sitting are on such a basic level that it cannot be “solved”, only worked around, which is always a compromise (then being “something else”)). Maybe in 20 years we will play 2D-Platformers on gigantic virtual screens wearing headsets, but its still an 2D-Platformer.
        That said, I definitely want to have one of those.

• P.Funk says:

Thats a load of PR speak though. There are plenty of games that would work great with VR. Arma players already use Trackir, any cockpit based sim like flight sims or racing sims would work brilliantly, and Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen will no doubt be among the earliest adopters of this, assuming there’s a compatibility for it.

Everyone keeps getting on that walking around thing like thats the central focus. Thats just a gimmick right now, while the useful feature is the perception of reality that comes from the headset. I’m going to reserve my judgment on “FPS’ suck with it” until I play one with a consumer level VR device.

13. vorador says:

I think the only way for VR to go completely mainstream would require a way to hijack the senses and nerves to go full immersion, Matrix style, but hopefully without surgery. While medical research is slowly progressing, it’s still far away.

Right now VR in it’s current shape has too many limitations. But it has a lot of potential. For simulators where you “stay” in a limited environment, like a cockpit, it can work really well.

14. Misha says:

Also, with The Gaben’s backing and desire to actually make a buck instead of issuing vague promises about how great it’s going to be one day, it might be a thing that you A) can buy in a store and B) actually becomes utilized in the majority of the actual games we play before the heat death of the universe.

I’m excited!

15. Trittlewoots says:

From TNG 5:6
    “And ‘yay’! shall they rejoice
    And donneth will they thy headsets
    And feelith wildst they pleasantries
    Of neo cortex stimulation

Lo and beheld by villainous Ktarians
    Thus shall thy beloved enterprise
    Be by Ktarian evil absconded
    My rod is my staff that comforts me.”

16. Mr Coot says:

I just don’t know. I don’t want to feel like I am at the Amiga in 1988 again. It was all omg, wow, text to speech, 3D shiny metal balls with shadow on a chessboard(!!!!), swirls and colours and patterns (all the demos) and then, the actual games were 2D rudimentary pixel art and sprite animation or a robotic voice playing Crazy 8s. I am getting a sense of deja vu in reading about Mr Meer’s experience. Not to say I’m not attracted – and prolly enough to overcome the distaste of having to wear something clunky on my head. I’m guessing there will be a similar catch up period before there is any decent software, that’s interesting or even fully making use of all the VR possibilities.

17. frightlever says: