You Can Have Windows 10 This Summer, If You Like

yes, yes grimdark macho colours for xbone fans

Is Windows 10 out this summer? Yes, Windows 10 is out this summer. Honestly, some news stories are hard to take anywhere.

Er. Well, it seems that, in the Northern Hemisphere at least, June 21 is the first official day of summer and September 22nd the last, so there’s your Windows window. Unless Microsoft pull a fast one and go with Southern Hemisphere timing. They’re crrrrrrrrazy like that, these Microguys.

Um. Summer? Did I mention that? My guess is September, to be honest. Seems a bit unlikely that they’d make people worry about operating systems when the sun’s at its sunniest.

It’s coming out in 190 countries and 111 languages simultaneously, and if you already own Windows 7 or 8/8.1 then you get it for free so long as you upgrade within the first 12 months of release.

From our point of view, the main points of interest are that a) it’s less of a UI/UX trainwreck than Windows 8 b) DirectX12 may offer Stuff And Things which make games run better, including better use of multiple CPU cores, more direct communication with the GPU and also this mad, yet to be confirmed, probably horseshit rumour that you can mix’n’match NVIDIA and AMD cards in one system and c) there’s some manner of crossover with Xbox One, including streaming Xbone games to your PC or Windows tablet.

C is of zero interest to me as I ain’t got no Xbones, B I guess I’ll wait and see what it translates to in practice (and that’ll probably be a while off anyway, as I doubt too many game-makers will leap to adapt to a new OS and DX right away and A is the most appealing because using Windows 8 is like having a conversation with drunk clowns. I’ve been using the W10 technical preview on and off, but my soundcard has a bit of a hissy fit about it so it’s not my main OS as yet, but I did find the UI side of things to be dramatically improved. Multi-monitor stuff was better too. Hence, I shall be upgrading, but maybe more because it’s there and I can than because I feel an overwhelming need to.

There’s a little bit more detail over on this announcement blog, including stuff about how there’s going to be support for assorted new-fangled biometric things for heightened security. OK, whatever, but is typing in a password really that time-consuming?

Don Reba says:

I use my computer as an alarm clock and lock it to make harder to mute. If you are sleepy enough, entering a password can be a tremendously laborious process.

• rtodd_us says:

Well thanks to the new windows hello, you won’t need a password just a :

2. HappyCerberus says:

I would really love to know who the hell thought that people will want to stream Xbox to a PC :-D

Why would you:

* run the game on inferior hardware
    * watch it on a monitor instead of a TV
    * degrade the image quality by streaming it
    * add additional lag by streaming it

• p14c3b0 says:

*You could play your console games on the toilet on your windows tablet

This is all you need to know.

• FuriKuri says:

Because it would allow you to avoid arguments with your partner when they want to watch something on the TV? Or allow you to run stuff in a window? Or stream it to a Surface instead of a PC so you don’t even have to get out of bed to play any more?

Not that there won’t be some issues of course…

• SominiTheCommenter says:

Get out of bed, put a disc on the Xbone, return to the bed and play.

It’s so easy!

• Dare_Wreck says:

You clearly don’t have a spouse or kids that compete for use of the big screen.

• OctoStepdad says:

I saw a post on another outlet saying how they are welcoming the streaming, especially if you have young kids. Sometimes people don’t want to play GTAs, Bloody Shooters, etc.. in front of their kids. So its easier to go stream and play in another room.

That’s the only real plus side I have heard.

• misterT0AST says:

News flash: not everyone’s PC is more powerful than a current generation console. People who play League of Legends, indie games, and games bought on GoG don’t have the monster rig you have. I guess they are not part of your “master race”. Thank you and goodnight.

• Hyetal says:

I don’t know… I feel like you’re being… smart. Your understanding of how someone might use this feature is just too rational.

I hope you realize that’s not okay, abandon your reasoned approach to new things, and join the master race.

• El_Emmental says:

I find it quite illogical, unless you have kids – but then I would suggest showing them the wonders of gaming on a PC: more games (especially indie ones)(Minecraft still counts as indie? anyway it’s excellent and you can play with your kids from your notebook or desktop, unlike on the Xbox), modding, sales. There is no reason to keep a weak PC while buying a console on the side: the whole point of getting a console is not having to ever play on a PC.

I mean, if you can manage a PC (like you seem to already do, playing indie/good old games), I don’t see why you would dedicate your gaming budget to a console:
        – you can plug a 360/Xbone controller on your PC just fine if that’s your stuff
        – you can plug the HDMI cable of your PC on your TV if you prefer couch gaming
        – exclusive titles aren’t worth the hassle like they used to be for previous consoles (given the tons of excellent games already available on PC and multiplatform being the norm now)
        – console games are sold at a higher price (+15% to +20% of the PC price) and it’s much more difficult to find good deals (sales and bundles)
        – console games take much longer to get updates/bug fixes (due to the certification process)
        – console games can’t be modded
        – console games won’t let you choose between a higher visual fidelity and framerate: it’s 25-30 fps and low/medium level of graphics.
        – console games with an online multiplayer feature require an additional monthly fee (XBL/PSPlus)

Really, if the money is tight (so you can’t afford both a console and a gaming PC ; nb: I can’t), the last thing to do is getting a console for gaming (imo).

• Asurmen says:

Half of that is completely irrelevant because you’ll have those things if you have the console in the first place. No one is suggesting this feature will go out and make people buy a console, but now you have the option to stream if you already have one and there are valid reasons to do so.

• frymaster says:

RPS readers probably aren’t the target audience for xbox streaming. The target audience is the kid who want to play games while his parents are using the TV, and his computer is a reasonably priced laptop, not a gaming PC. Seen in those terms, it’s a very large market, but I had to have the viewpoint hammered into me before I realised it made sense

• spacedyemeerkat says:

My Xbone is in a very cold outhouse at the moment (we recently moved in, planning to turn it into a cinema etc) so being able to stream it to my gaming PC in my nice warm office will be excellent!

• ButteringSundays says:

Gonna be a small cinema link to en.m.wikipedia.org

• hotmaildidntwork says:

Maybe it’s just a very large outhouse?

• spacedyemeerkat says:

Hehe! We have two sheds, one garage, a two storey Wendy house (large enough for an adult to live in) and another two buildings. We ran out of names for the extra two buildings so we call them the ‘outhouses’. Suffice to say, it’s a large enough space for a film/music room.

Amazing what you can get for £290k in the Northamptonshire countryside :)

3. James says:

Its nice to have even a vague hint of when I can ditch this UI for free. It is indeed a conversation with drunk clowns. DX 12 looks to ahve some interesting benefits, the extent of them remains to be seen.

• Gilmir says:

Honestly I think it’s not as bad as so many people try to make it.
      I installed “StartIsBack” a few days after setting up Win8 and 98% of the time it’s like using Win7 with improved boot times and stability.
      OK, the remaining 2% can be a pain when you try to find certain settings, guessing if they appear in the sidebar, or the main settings console, but except for that, I can’t complain.

• spacedyemeerkat says:

Yup, I installed StartIsBack on release and haven’t looked back. Windows 8 has been good to me.

• Kempston Wiggler says:

There’s no reasoning with some people, sadly. Windows 8 *does* have an oddly schizophrenic approach to administrative operations but to hear some folk speak it’s like the ghost of Vista/WinME rose from the grave and tried to murder their families. Personally, Windows 8 has been the best windows OS I’ve ever used, by a clear margin.

Unfortunately, having tried the preview of Windows 10 I’m less enthused about that particular upgrade. Unless they have actual software wizards working there – pointy hats, beards, the whole shebang – I’d say a June release is supremely optimistic. My bet is on September.

• ButteringSundays says:

“There’s no reasoning with some people”

Clearly.

• Geebs says:

Great OS, wretched installer, execrable UI. Reasonable?

• Kempston Wiggler says:

Perfectly, coming from you. Judging by your commenting you have a very capable brain, Geebs, one that I judge less inclined to knee-jerk thinking. If that’s your opinion I’m willing to bet it’s got a solid foundation. You hate the UI. I don’t. C’est la vie.

• Geebs says:

You’re far too kind; I was mostly just having a cry about how the installer becoming an .exe makes putting Win8 in a virtual environment painful :)

I do still find it odd, though, that “windows” is brilliant at the business of being an OS and running all of the software, but still feels very shonky when it comes to actual… windowing

• Fellhuhn says:

Installer? Can’t even remember that – except that it was easy and fast (SSD). Start menu? Never used it for anything so I don’t miss it. Everything I use is as a link on the desktop (Browser, Mail, Steam, Kodi, File Explorer, Tax tool, Printer Tool, Scanner Tool, Open Office (and my dev laptop just has another link to the IDE and one to the administrative command line tool + FTP tool)). So I have no beef with Win8. Really can’t understand the hate. But perhaps I am just not “power user” enough. ;)

• iainl says:

What’s wrong with the installer, if you don’t mind me asking? I’ve done a reasonable number of 8.1 installs, and they’ve generally been much more pleasant than 7 was, because there’s a lot less of the hacking about to deal with SSDs (what with 7’s installer predating the popularity of the things), I quite like the colours, and the typeface is a hell of a lot easier to read on small tablets.

Unless you’re talking (understandably enough) about the dumb way that non-MSDN types don’t get an 8.1 installer, but have to install 8, set up the network and then upgrade it to 8.1 through the Windows Store (spit)? Yeah, that’s awful.

• Geebs says:

It’s a pretty specific problem – installing windows on a non-windows computer used to be much easier in the win7 days when you could just download an .iso. Having the installer be an .exe and then making it download a specific version of windows for the hardware is annoying in this situation because the steps become download win7-> install win 7 -> battle with MS’s website to find the win8 download link -> install win8 -> install win 8.1

• Llewyn says:

There was certainly an 8.0 ISO installer, hidden somewhere behind a ‘download for offline installation’ link – I have it sat here, burned to DVD, pending the moment when the urge to buy an SSD might finally overwhelm the reluctance to reinstall. I haven’t upgraded to 8.1 though*, so haven’t looked for an equivalent there. Could be they’ve dropped the option now, or maybe it’s even more thoroughly hidden.

*When 8.1 launched there were scare stories about it breaking a number of games that worked on 8.0 (DXHR being one, I think). Is this resolved? Was it ever real? Am I holding off on 8.1 improvements(?) for nothing?

• iainl says:

Ah, gotcha. That’s not required, thankfully – I installed 8.1 for home recently, and used this to build my installer: link to windows.microsoft.com

• SuicideKing says:

You installed “StartIsBack” so obviously it was as bad as people make it sound. I’ve literally never installed a third party start menu since 1998. (Still using Win 7).

• spamenigma says:

The start menu thing in 8 forced on standard pc’s was a poor move… however I haven’t installed any start menu altering stuff and find it all as good as (if not better) than windows 7. I guess the main thing is once I’ve spent 2mins sorting default apps to not be the windows 8 in your face full screen defaults, then everything else I want I sort to launch from the task bar, desktop or steam…

• Asurmen says:

Having to install one 3rd party app still doesn’t equal murdering your pets as people make out.

• hotmaildidntwork says:

I feel like you may need to see someone react to having their pet murdered so that you have a point of comparison, because I don’t think that “complain on the internet” is foremost among the responses to that stimulus.

• Asurmen says:

Tell that to people reacting to Win 8 then.

• Gilmir says:

Yes… Installing a tiny program that costs a whopping 2,99 USD (or less if you buy bulk for a few computers) is REALLY a problem…
          For this you get a system, which never gave me any problems with Homegroup or network printing (LOTS of problems on WIN7 with both, in my experience) and much faster boot / wake up times (which might not matter for desktop users, but if you work on a laptop a lot, it MATTERS).
          The UI is a disaster, but as it can be removed so easily, it’s not a valid point in a discussion, in my opinion.

• airmikee says:

You had to pay extra to download and install something to fix a problem with the original UI, and you think that doesn’t reflect on the fact that the original UI had problems? Sorry, if I had to pay even an extra $0.01 to get a program working correctly, THEN THE PROGRAM HAS A SERIOUS DESIGN FLAW.

• Gilmir says:

That’s kind of an artificial argument that is beside the point. I don’t try to convince anyone that the WIN8 interface is good. It’s crap. Else I wouldn’t have changed it. But the point is – once you do the trivial task of installing the prog and pay the miniscule price, you get a system that actually is (in my experience) significantly better than the previous one.
            For me it’s similar to riding an old bicycle which is already rusty and heavy, because the new one you can have instead doesn’t have mud-flaps installed. Which is such a design flaw, that it’s simply intolerable shit. No it isn’t. The UI is crap, it can be restored to the (better) old form in 90 seconds for 2,99 USD – unless there are other points that make WIN8 worse, it’s simply looking for an excuse to bash the system.
            All of it doesn’t change the fact that the person who decided to ship WIN8 with just one (aweful) interface option should be fired from a canon.

• airmikee says:

lol Yeah, Win7 is an old rusty bike.

link to amongtech.com

Win7 beat 8 and 8.1 on eight of fifteen tests, but all of the results were so close the differences become insignificant. Actually, recounting it’s 9 because unless I’m mistaken, the Cinebench GPU score of 130 for Win7 beats 128.11 for Win8.1, even though the author counts it as a win for the newest candidate (if lower score counted than Win8.0 would win with its 123.94. So Win7 beats Win8 and 8.1 on 9 of 15 tests. Maybe the rusty bike has jet boosters attached?

So you’re telling me I can spend money upgrading to Win8.1, I can spend more money to make it look like Win7, and all so I can have an OS that doesn’t operate as good as Win7. Seriously? Do you also have a bridge in Brooklyn that’s for sale? Cause that would be an awesome double purchase.

• Llewyn says:

Does the OS matter? Is there a performance advantage?

The short answer? Yes, there is. Windows 8.1 has a consistent performance advantage over Windows 7 of 6% which isn’t much but it is a small performance boost that you get for just installing an OS. In general, Nvidia graphic cards seem to do a little better then AMD GPU’s when it comes to performance on Windows 8.1 (source)

Where there does seem to be a huge advantage is gameplay experience you get for using Windows 8.1 where less frame drops and “chops” were experienced while benchmarking.

Qazinsky says:

Well, if I get it for free, I guess I’ll get it too then, got Windows 7 on my computer at the moment and it will turn obsolete eventually.

I am guessing this free upgrade is some attempt for Microsoft to keep its OS monopoly on PCs, probably as a response to Valve’s interest in venturing into OS. What I don’t understand though is how they are gonna make money, isn’t selling Windows to companies and to a lesser extent home users pretty much what make Microsoft money?

Qazinsky says:

Oh, right, XBoxes and such too, but still…

• LionsPhil says:

I’m sticking with 7, myself. Amongst the other breakages, killing local shadow copies. was a stupid, stupid, stupid regression in 8 because having System Restore actually be useful for slack-space previous file versions was great.

And while it looked for a bit like 10 was going to be “oh god, we’re sorry” backpedalling for 8, in the last tech preview update they started ripping out bits of Control Panel for good, moving them to the godawful PC Settings not-called-Metro-any-more app.

If I had an 8 box I don’t see any reason not to 10 it, though.

• frymaster says:

Huh, I didn’t realise the previous versions thing, though it doesn’t affect me personally (documents are on a network share)

In terms of the win8 UI… my win7 workflow was hitting the start key and typing stuff for search, which is identical to my win8.1 workflow. It really hasn’t changed a damn thing about how I interact with the PC in any meaningful way

• LionsPhil says:

I kinda want to see the rest of what I was working on while I type in my Start query.

Previous Versions has saved my bacon a few times for things not on the filestore, e.g. when a broken RenegadeX uninstaller wiped my start menu. Select the folder, restore previous version, which was from the restore point made just before uninstalling it, done. Didn’t have to reach for the external drive and recover a copy from last month’s backup.

• wengart says:

My primary issue with Win8 was that a number of basic functions (like opening a photo or PDF) defaulted to using a Metro app rather than a windows application.

So you go to open that PDF with some information for the paper you were assigned, and instead of opening up on my desktop I get dragged into metro and into a full screen view of the PDF. Meanwhile I have a 2 screen setup with plenty of space for the bloody thing to sit in a corner and allow me to glance at it.

• Geebs says:

@wengart: you might want to try a PDF store/reference manager like e.g. Papers (great on the Mac, I don’t know about the windows version). PDF handling on windows has always been kind of crappy, but I agree that the Metro full screen reader is incredibly impractical.

• mattevansc3 says:

The appearance changed but the option to select different default programs is exactly the same on Win8.1 as it was in Win7.

• Martel says:

Am I the only person that pins things to the taskbar? I so rarely open the start menu that I really don’t even notice the Win 8 version. Well, not after the first day if your machine gets reimaged, as you have to repin stuff.

• LionsPhil says:

I put my taskbar vertical in this widescreen world, and have more Things than space to pin them all. Pinning (and jumplists) are great, but only for frequent tasks.

I don’t know why this is so contentious. The Win7 Start Menu was great. They replaced it with something that lacked half the functionality and dragged you into jarring fullscreen transition every time. Even in 10 it’s not back to normal, because “all programs” is now uselessly sorted alphabetically and I’m not sure you can still get context items on programs with e.g. pinnable recent documents. (Have I mentioned just how good the Windows 7 Start Menu is? Seriously Microsoft just roll back the sodding UI already.)

Don Reba says:

Office is the main money maker, actually.
      Here is a summary for 2014: link to beyonddevic.es

• LionsPhil says:

Also, amongst other things, it’s possible they’re doing this to try to better solidify the Windows Store platform as ubiquitous and appealing to developers, which presumably shaves a percentage off of every sale. There’s possibly been some internal realization that they’re struggling to get people to pay for new editions every few years, and their business model has to change to get money from software running on the Windows platform rather than from the Windows platform itself.

• SuicideKing says:

They’re shifting windows to a SaaS model, and of course they want people using the Store. So that.

• LionsPhil says:

I’m not sure if they’re planning for Windows as a paid subscription service, though. It seems hard to imagine that’d go down well with…well, anyone. In theory “pay for a quantity of X” is desirable for business, but try telling Windows Sysadmins that they are going to be put on an upgrade treadmill at Microsoft’s set pace. And there’s no skipping the next 8 or Vista. I suggest doing so from a great distance with a lot of armour plating in the way.

• SuicideKing says:

Yeah I know, and is why I’m being awfully cautious with this. Microsoft’s not being clear about the “Windows as a service” bit.

• mattevansc3 says:

They’ve been very clear about it. Windows as a stand alone product split into different versions (Win98/XP/Vista/7/8) doesn’t make sense in modern computing. Windows as a service just means that when you buy a Windows licence (including those that come with the PC) you are buying a licence to use Windows, not just Windows XYZ and you can use that licence for the latest version (or until your PC is no longer supported if you bought a prebuilt machine)

This isn’t anything revolutionary. OSX is an OS as a service, Google Chrome is an OS as a service. All the mobile OS’s such as iOS and Android are OS’s as a service. Its just a fancy name for a business model we are all experienced with.

• mattevansc3 says:

Because Microsoft makes its money from OEM licenses for new PCs and then retail copies of the full OS. Upgrades are a pebble in the ocean as far as Microsoft’s revenues are concerned.

Win10 is free IF you already have a copy of Win7/Win8. The likes of Dell will still need to pay for every licence of Win10 they install on a new PC.

5. Koozer says:

SteamOS is looking really good!

• Mokinokaro says:

SteamOS is a buggy mess with all of Linux’s main disadvantages currently.

When games work they work wonderfully but “when” is about 50% of the time.

It’s got at least a year more in development before it’s a suitable Windows replacement for gamers.

• Koozer says:

(This was an attempt at a witty comment on the visual similarity in the above screenshot to Valve’s software)

6. Bremze says:

Sadly the UI seems to be just as bad as it was in Win8. Adverts in local searches, system settings hidden in multiple applications, poor high dpi display support, new icons that look like an absurdist joke, etc.

• dangermouse76 says:

Sorry can I just clarify. Are you saying windows 8 has – and 10 will have – adverts inserted in to local ( hard drive only ) search queries. If true that’s appalling.
      Apologies if I have misinterpreted what you are saying.

• spacedyemeerkat says:

I’ve run Windows 8 since release and have NEVER seen an advertisement in a local search.

• Kempston Wiggler says:

It’s a Win10 feature. The in-menu search has been wedded to an internet-enabled search function. Not only has that significantly slowed down a simple search for a program but also, yes, adverts.

Windows 10 is “Free” as in “Not”.

• Stevostin says:

who cares ? just search locally. BTW search works so much better on my Win8 than on my Win7.

Never had ads in windows search (8 or other). I have them all the time in web browser, sure, like every one.

• LionsPhil says:

Got an example of the advert one? I haven’t noticed that; just tried “terminal” and while I get web results alongside the command prompt and store apps I don’t get actual ads in 10.

(Example inspired by PCW’s article about Ubuntu doing it, which at the end mentions Windows 8.1 and even OS X doing much of the same. Everything is tablets forever.)

• SuicideKing says:

Windows with Bing has ads i think.

• mattevansc3 says:

No. Windows with Bing is just a discounted SKU whereby the OEM has to set all the defaults to Microsoft services such as Bing for web searches.

7. Bostec says:

I have Windows 7 and Ubuntu on duel boot. First time linux user here and I haven’t used it much. I was hoping to get a new system built and just run Ubantu on it but all my teeth fell out so I have to put that on the back burner.

Its certainly a radical move my microsoft to toss it out for free, I wonder why, Valve have anything to do with it? Anyway I’m trying to shy away from Windows because well i’m bored with it and it costs £80. None of AB or C seems appealing to me. I’ll wait untill I see if this direcx 12 stuff is anygood.

basilisk says:

I would be very surprised if Microsoft felt even a teeny tiny bit threatened by Valve and/or SteamOS. It’s just one of the billion flavours of Linux, still not finished and at this point attractive only for a very specific (and quite small) audience.

10 will be free simply because 8 was almost universally hated (for both justifiable and irrational reasons) and they don’t want 7 to become the next XP-style millstone around their neck as they are planning their transition to a rolling release. It’s a bold move, but it makes a lot of sense.

• Bostec says:

Oh I didn’t mean SteamOS per se, I meant that linux in general has never really had that big push from a major company like Valve can do, to get it out in the open. I’v been reading about SteamOS and it doesn’t sound like its for desktops, sounds like they are aiming for the Big TV player which sadly isn’t for me which is a shame because I think I would of at least tried it.

• Mokinokaro says:

SteamOS treats PCs way too much like a console for my liking. I don’t see it being good for much except the silly steambox and a cheap machine for streaming from a windows pc.

basilisk says:

Linux has had so many big pushes over the years, and it never amounted to anything. There’s no reason why it should work now. The inherent problem of its insane levels of fragmentation still remains impossible to solve, and while it seemed for a time that this is what Valve was planning to do with their Steamboxes, it turns out that it wasn’t.

• Cockie says:

The thing is that PC gamers aren’t exactly the major market share when it comes to selling OS’s though. The majority of users is the kind of people that uses Windows because that’s what computers run, who mainly do internet and office and perhaps don’t even know what an operating system is, let alone that you can replace it.

• Viroso says:

What happened to your teeth?!

• LaundroMat says:

I’m only replying to your post so that I will be notified by email when there’s a reply to your question.

• LaundroMat says:

And what do you know. I forgot to tick the boxes. Will do so now.

• OmNomNom says:

Proof that Linux makes your teeth fall out.

From what I’ve seen it also increases likelihood of ponytails and thick glasses.

8. Buuurr says:

Awesome. Can’t wait. I hope they add even more Xbox integration apps… soon there will truly be no TV in this house. That is a great thing.

9. fish99 says:

Only real question for me is what happens when I upgrade my PC. It sounded like they turn your retail Win7 key into an OEM Win10 key (they said you get Win10 ‘for the life of the device’ which is code for OEM), so it would stop working once you change motherboard, but as long as my Win7 retail key still works, I don’t suppose you really lose anything.

• SuicideKing says:

Yeah I’m containing my excitement till I have a clearer picture on this.

• Kempston Wiggler says:

I’m half expecting MS to pull out some last minute “gotcha”, something that’ll return them to “most hated” on short order, like the dreadful way they launched the Xbone except this time only once half the world has installed the “free” Win10.

Why? Because Microsoft.

• LionsPhil says:

Echoing the concern at the start of the thread, I assume the product activation in Vista and later makes it very plausible for them to deactivate any 7 (or 8) keys that take advantage of the upgrade, for starters.

I’m also waiting for it to turn out that Ultimate editions to get free upgrades to Crippled editions or some such fun.

• mattevansc3 says:

They’ve stated previously that standard versions get upgraded to Win10 “Core” and Ultimate/Pro get upgraded to Win10 “Pro”.

Its unlikely that the licence changes as the upgrade path for Win7 is ISO only and Win7 SP1 is via ISO or Windows Update meaning you’d have to reinstall Win7 to reinstall Win10.

• Cantisque says:

When I bought their cheap upgrade from 7 to 8, my old 7 license still worked just fine. I’d imagine this will be the case again.

10. DanMan says:

I’ll be making good use of those 12 months they give you to switch. Watching. From the bushes.

• Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

“And here we see, fluttering about in it’s nest, the fledgling Windows 8. While splendid in its plumage, it is unlikely that the young OS will fly any time in the next two years, thanks to the many bugs residing in its feathers. However, without a source of food soon, it, may die.”

That by the way was my best written David Attenborough impression.

11. SuicideKing says:

They’ve also suggested that they’ll make it a free upgrade for pirated copies as well, at least in China.

• Mokinokaro says:

I’m surprised they haven’t just gone the extra step and said it’s completely free to install for a year.

12. Stevostin says:

I have Windows 7 on desktop and 8 on Surface. Since Surface I miss Win 8 every day on my desktop. I may be the only one but I prefer so much the full screen launcher thing to the useless start button. Also, task managed is so much more helpful than Win7. So even without a tactile device I’ll take 8 over 7 any day. Actually it’s hard for me to see why you’d want to have win 7 over win 8.

• fish99 says:

Well, for someone who already owns 7 it’s obviously a lot cheaper not to buy 8.

• Mokinokaro says:

It wasn’t a bad choice when 8 was only 30$ but at full price there’s definitely not enough improvement to go from 7 to 8.

• 123kings says:

I’m with you on this one. I upgraded to windows 8.1 a month ago. Sure after I installed the os i felt some regret, but it only took a day to grow on me. I like the full screen menu and my desktop nowadays is empty, no more clutter. It feels good. I still like win7 and I’m looking forward to win10.

• Cantisque says:

My main complaint with the fullscreen launcher is that it covers all the other windows I have open, which I usually have tiled either 2 or 4 active windows. Plus the fact that most software I use don’t have live tiles, so shortcuts take up far more space than is necessary which looks ugly.
      If the tiles could be easier to customise, possibly also with functional widget tiles and weren’t tied to a requirement to be distributed through the Windows app store, I might feel differently about it.

13. Viroso says:

What if you happen to be a bad person running bootleg Windows 7 what’s gonna happen to me I mean you?

• airmikee says:

You’ll try to update, get told you have a bootleg copy and be offered the chance to purchase Win10.

• Ulaxes says:

It seems like you’ll get it for free anyway:
      link to wired.com

Which seems like a really cool move.

• Mokinokaro says:

Really it makes a lot of sense when it comes to security.

Get as many people on the newest OS as possible to reduce the number of hijacked (and potentially hijacked) machines used to hacking online.

• Llewyn says:

It does make sense, but it seems a little bizarre that it’s a free upgrade to people with pirated copies of 7 or 8 but not for those who paid for XP or Vista. Given MS’ push to get people off XP particularly, I’d have thought they’d include that as an incentive.

14. Veles says:

“OK, whatever, but is typing in a password really that time-consuming?”

Yes. At least at work.

We have to lock our screens whenever we turn away from them due to the sensitivity and access we have. Biometric login would be so helpful.

However my company has only just changed to Windows 7 so a jump to Win 10 with biometric login as standard is a little way off.

• mattevansc3 says:

Unless you’ve got shitty biometric readers like one of my previous employers did and we had to call security to open the disabled access doors because the thumb print scanners couldn’t actually read our thumb prints.

• Asurmen says:

Depends on how complex your password requirements. I have to do the same thing at my work for the same reasons. However password requirements are only a character count so it takes seconds to enter.

15. rcguitarist says:

Hopefully windows 10 will allow me to install it in a separate partition of my SSD in a dual boot setup. I don’t want to abandon windows 7 unless 10 is just an amazing miracle of an OS. I love 7 and will game with it until most games come out wanting DX12.

• OmNomNom says:

Windows has always had the ability to do this. Win 10 is no different.

• Cantisque says:

Looking at it right now, there doesn’t appear to be any advantage to staying with Windows 7 unless there is some very bizarre driver or software that doesn’t work. This is especially true during the first year since it will be a free upgrade.

16. racccoon says:

Yes Please! Microsoft rocks! & its cheap too!
    The best system which is and has been the creator of everything! :)

17. ChiefOfBeef says:

Desperate, your turn.

18. mandrill says:

I’m dubious regarding MS’s motives for giving this operating system away. Yes, it may be an apology for 8 but I’m worried that 10 will be hobbled and require the purchase of ‘extra’ modules that some may consider essential. Microtransactions come to operating systems…

• airmikee says:

That’s a fairly scary thought.

• Cantisque says:

My guess would be that by moving as many people as possible onto the OS, they give incentive for developers to make and sell more software on the Microsoft app store. Join that with an integration with Xbox, it could also convince people to buy the Xbox One to get the added functionality.

In the same way people buy Apple products because they already own Apple products and want everything in the same ecosystem, Microsoft seems to be approaching Windows 10 with the same idea, the same OS spanning multiple devices locks people into the Windows ecosystem at a time where more and more people are turning to mobile devices and Linux.

In the long run, I think they will profit from this and retain market dominance.

19. Buzko says:

Like many readers, I will wait and see.

In the meantime, this latest spambot is amazing. I kinda want a magic wallet, and to be able to debate terrain.

• LionsPhil says:

I like that it appears to be crazy God-babble from a user called “Mirriam”. We must dissent!

(Yes, I know, extra ‘r’.)

Harlander says:

I’m pretty psyched about upcoming old-school side-scrolling platformashooter, Contra: Misfortune

20. Frank says:

I’m upgrading (from 7) for the native multimonitor taskbar. Woo!

21. Saiko Kila says:

Biometrics is the most crappy “security” feature ever. It’s more a “security theatre” (everybody plays they believe it’s real, while everybody knows it’s just an act) or a gimmick than a feature. It has the most singular problem – you cannot change a password. Plus, it’s implementation is more tricky than people assume, which would lead to more break in.

Said that, something like this (like biometrics, or gesture or no password at all) is needed as an option for OSes, because most people don’t give a horse manure for security, while they want convenience. I know that for a fact, after observing reaction (or lack thereof) to revelation about security mechanisms being routinely violated, and even sabotaged, by powers to be (for their convenience).