Star Wars: Battlefront Awakens Next Month

Not too many of us can be said to have an iconic foot, eh?

Oh lordy-lord, there’s going to be so much Star Wars this year, isn’t there? You won’t be able to move for stars here and wars there. It’ll be like late 1998/1999 all over again, and we know how that turned out, don’t we? Just added to what’s a rapidly-bloating list of Forceful things to happen in the long run-up to the film itself is an official reveal for EA’s long-in-the-works reboot of Star Wars: Battlefront. So far as we know, this is still in the hands of Battlefield-marshals DICE, which is a relatively decent pedigree for a shooty-blast multiplayer game. EA’s just announced that we’ll get to take a look at this new version of the beloved (by some) Rebels vs Empire shooter next month, at the official Star Wars Celebration.

The big ol’ Let’s Pretend The Last Three Films Never Happened shindig is being held in Anaheim, California on April 16-19, and I guess we’re going to also be festooned with movie trailers and nu-expanded universe stuff then too. EA aren’t giving much away, as indeed they haven’t since first going on the record about the new Battlefront back in 2013, but you can read their short announcement here if you like.

I would imagine this game is going to be enormous, whether or not it’s any good. The timing is right. EA’s various Wattos will be rubbing their hands with glee.

Here’s a trailer for the Celebration thinger. Everything Is Awesome, etc.

And here’s the Battlefront trailer form 2013. I’m fairly detached about Star Wars these days, but honestly, I’ll never tire of AT-ATs. A Lego AT-AT might just be the first thing I buy if ever I’m rich (I will never be rich).

Speaking of Star Wars, Kieron’s Darth Vader comic is pretty good, and makes ol’ buckethead genuinely fearsome again. You should go read that.

1. Dogsbody says:

Battlefront should be good, right? I mean, Dice is a pretty excellent developer, and all they really need to do is slap some Star Wars skins on Battlefield, and let me run around going ‘pew pew’ at things…

Please be good. Please, please please be good.

• mezron says:

Well, if it were coming from DICE circa 2002-2010 I would be all over this.

DICE 2011-now however… I’m not gonna pre-order.

If I’m hearing good things about 30-60 days after smooth launch and the DLC doesn’t look like a thinly veiled subscription I’ll be in there with you!

• Loyal_Viggo says:

Nevermind DICE, this is EA…

That alone means I will wait 1-2 years until all the DLC and bells and whistles are included in a 90% off steam sale event.

• Loyal_Viggo says:

Ugh postscript to my own post… just realised EA is Origin… which means no Steam… which means obligatory use of the NOOOOOOOOOOOO! button on:

link to nooooooooooooooo.com

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Really don’t get this complete refusal to use Origin tbh. I’d rather use Steam but it won’t stop me playing an otherwise enjoyable game.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

I don’t know, beware of nostalgia. Besides, i might be in the minority there, but i still can’t see what Star Wars could be without Jedi/Sith.

I mean, the expanded universe of comics/games and so on did more to flesh out the whole thing that the few movies ever managed, but that’s before Disney stepped in and claimed that everything that wasn’t one of the six movies is absolutely “non canon”. What’s left? A definitely nice sci-fi setting, true, an incredibly iconic Millennium Falcon, sure, and ad absolutely unforgettable Hoth battle scene. Sure, tha’s undeniable, but if we need a proper sci-fi base to build upon, i’m sure there are far better example around.

And yes, while i’m trying to claim Star Wars is nothing without lightsabers and that Han Solo is just a random smuggler made great by an excellent Harrison Ford, what i’m really trying to accomplish is to rile up some people hard enough that a good, deep and proper discussion might arise.

Call me a good troll, or rather, the right troll at the right moment. Second option: just excuse me if i’m drunk tonight. Bye.

• mattlambertson says:

Clone Wars the show is still considered official, top level canon, and that was deeply influenced by the Legacy EU. I don’t think the spirit and feel of the old EU will be drastically altered. We will still have many of the same planets, same alien races, and same themes that the old EU dealt with. I don’t think the slate we’re starting from is as blank as you suggest. Interesting points nonetheless.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Well, that’s nice to know, i didn’t know that. Somehow i figured Disney just went ballistic on pretty much everything.

• Cinek says:

Well, they did. Clone Wars is just one of very few remains of Star Wars Canon that remain.

• James says:

Lucas himself wrote parts of it, it is technically at the highest levels of canon. Disney would be idiotic to mess with it. It was actually good too, it had that going for it.

• Wednesday says:

The EU is a seething, despicable morass. An exercise in ringing something into a desiccated, dust blown skeleton.

…except for Kyle Katarn.

BECAUSE BEARD

• SanguineAngel says:

Speaking as a man who wasted a vast portion of his youth playing Jedi Knight (the first and best) and also a man with a beard, this comment has resonated with pitch perfect truth

• Neutrino says:

Playing a man with a beard in your youth sounds interesting, how did that work?

• SaintAn says:

They got rid of the EU because it was riddled with lore breaking stuff. They’re going through and adding things from EU without the baggage. The Rebels TV show has already added a few EU things making them part of canon. I’m even expecting Thrawn at some point because so many people like him. Also, if you haven’t watched the Clone Wars TV show I suggest you watch it. It’s really good, and incredibly dark and mature.

• Thurgret says:

Star Wars without Jedi or Sith? And in game format? Republic Commando is the most obvious example to me, and really quite excellent. Also the 90s spaceship games.

• SanguineAngel says:

Dark Forces and X-WIng are classic examples of how epic Star Wars is without the Force

• Koozer says:

How about Bounty Hunter on the N64? No lightsabers to be seen until the final level.

• SanguineAngel says:

Couldn’t remember the name of that one but yes. I think it had a pretty mixed reception but I liked it – it was like a 3d version of the old gameboy star wars game

• Syra says:

ROGUE. SQUADRON.

That is all.

• Jason Moyer says:

“i still can’t see what Star Wars could be without Jedi/Sith”

You have 3 Jedi, 1 fallen Jedi, and no mention of Sith in the original (i.e. only) 3 films. Seems like they turned out ok.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

What i meant is how Battlefront focuses on just a certain part of Star Wars.

• Cinek says:

Every Star Wars game focuses on just a certain part of Star Wars.

• JamesTheNumberless says:

Lol Expanded Universe, no thanks. Star Wars is 3 movies – everything else including the prequels is just a spin-off, however good it may be. Can you honestly compare the large scale battles in the prequels, with thousands of lightsabers flashing about, favorably with the ones in the original films?

KOTOR is one great game with lots of lightsabers in it. But the X-Wing and Tie Fighter games were also brilliant and there wasn’t a single lightsaber between them.

Action in Star Wars was always primarily about Rebels fighting Imperials with lots of cool ships and vehicles and blasters everywhere, with the jedi stuff as the slower paced subplot.

• Cinek says:

Door is that way your blasphemous bastard!

• SomeDuder says:

Pardon my French, but if you think Star Wars is about lightsabers (LIGHTSABERS! MORE LIGHTSABERS!) then you are suffering from a severe case of George Lucasism and need to fuck right off.

• gunny1993 says:

Starwars isn’t about Lightsabers, it’s about what the Lightsabers represent.

I.E. style over substance, making an entrance, being a badass sonofabitch that’s willing to destroy a planet without even considering the huge economic blowback from such an event.

• Cinek says:

I’m all for Star Wars without lightsabres. But I’m also all against dismissing EU and statements like “Star Wars is 3 movies”. That’s complete bollocks. Where Star Wars got a life IS in the Expanded Universe, and where action without lightsabers really shines is exactly there – as far away from the original 3 movies as it gets.

• Nihilist says:

Lightsabers are penises and an old Man (Obi Wan Kenobi) shows a young boy (Luke Skywalker) how to become a man. It’s all about penises you say?

• wengart says:

I feel that part of the fun of Star Wars is that it doesn’t have a “proper scifi base”. Without the EU stuff it is just kind of stupid fun, and for a lot of people I think that is the draw. You don’t need to understand the world all that much.

You spawn in as a Storm Trooper (in that iconic white armor) and you see a Tie fighter and an X-wing dogfighting in the sky above you as an AT-AT lumbers into battle. That would be awesome! Wrap all that in some fun gameplay and I’m hooked, and on top of all that we finally get a break from all of this po faced WAR IS SERIOUS BUSINESS theme that Battlefield and COD have been slinging at us for near on a decade now.

So sure it is essentially a nostalgia trip. My inner 12 year old that watched the original trilogy and played Star Wars: Rogue Squadron, Pod Racer, and Bounty Hunter (god was that game terrifying) for hours on end is currently ecstatic about the new Battlefront game, and why the hell shouldn’t I be?

• Fnord73 says:

Please be good. And please be FAST! The first was amazing that way.

2. welverin says:

Lego AT-ATs aren’t that expensive, just skip two or three new game releases and you’ll be able to afford one.

3. mattlambertson says:

As a lifelong Star Wars fan who sunk hundreds of hours into customizing JK1, JO and JA, I have bemoaned the lack of a good lightsaber game (or even FPS) for Star Wars for an entire decade. So if this new Battlefront is even half as good as BF4 (which isn’t asking for much) I will be into it more than I’ve been into any FPS since Halo 3, and any Star Wars game since Jedi Academy…which is scary as I definitely do not have enough time left in my life for such a thing.

• Darth Gangrel says:

Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight is my first PC game and I still play it, although it wasn’t trivial getting it to work on Win 7. Jedi Outcast also gets played from time to time, but I didn’t like Jedi Academy as much. I disliked that you could never play more than one mission directly after another (except to progress the plot), always had to go through that mission select screen with only a few good or decent choices in each section.

The lack of another game like JK2 made me at least succumb to the console port side: I played The Force Unleashed 1 and it was better and about as bad I thought it would be, but mostly fun. The controls and general gameplay aren’t as tight as JK2, but the lightsaber attacks and Force powers are still nice and I liked the level design and the story/voice acting/cutscenes. I got TFU 2 with the Star Wars Humble Bundle and am a little excited to play that game, but nothing compares to Jedi Knight 1 and 2.

• ironhorse says:

It’s as close as any SW related game has come to JKO, and is faaarrr better than TFU1….
        But alas.. that nuanced saber combat and agility may never return, and we may be stuck with QTEs forever.

(blade symphony is the closest non-SW game that can replicate that JKO swordplay)

• Cinek says:

JKO was completely different game than TFU. When I want to play with the force – I would never play JKO cause it sucked, and it sucked hard in that department. When I want to have lightsaber duels – I will play JKO cause TFU saber duels tended to migrate into QTEs. IMHO both games were good and both were very fun, but in a different ways. The game that sucked was TFU2, not TFU1. It was some random incoherent monster that doesn’t have any regard to logic or canon.

• SanguineAngel says:

Just throwing this out there but I would 100% play JK1 mp if I can get it working this weekend

• Darth Gangrel says:

What helped me to get JK1 working was this mod called JKhub that’s also a graphical overhaul mod (character and weapon models mostly). I like the enhanced graphics, it almost looks like JK2 now, but I don’t know if you can disable that and still get it to work if you dislike the new graphics.

4. JiminyJickers says:

Please have bots, please have bots, please have bots.

• OmNomNom says:

It almost definitely will!

R2 droids.

• mezron says:

I just wish they’d let you run your own servers like 2142 and before. I had so much fun hosting LAN parties at home with those. There would be 10-12 of us on one side and 40-50 bots on the other. Depending on the difficulty level I set the bots it would either be like fishing in a barrel with dynamite, or an epic struggle just to hold one control point.

I seem to remember a lot of beer and bbq during those too… Good times for sure!

• OmNomNom says:

Pretty unlikely though. The games are complex to the point where it would eat too much of their time up trying to implement a relatively niche feature like this.

What would be better is if they opened it up for mods so we can create our own bots… but there probably isn’t much hope of that :\

• SuicideKing says:

Given the number of devs that do, and given GameRanger’s existence, I don’t think this is true.

5. metric day says:

New X-Wing game! Jesus, isn’t about time they revealed a new X-Wing game? Tie it in with the release of Rogue One or something. Use the phrase “spiritual successor” a lot.

• OmNomNom says:

Something with a great narrative like Freespace 2 had would be a great fit for the super-explorey (Elite Dangerous) and massively multiplayer (Star Citizen) in these heady times of space sim resurgence

• Catweasel says:

At least we have Enemy Starfighter to look forward to on that front.

6. commentingaccount says:

So… this is just gonna be Battlefield but with a Star Wars skin and mild tweaks, isn’t it?

7. Darth Gangrel says:

As a response to the alt-text: Monty Python’s Flying Circus has an iconic foot, I think it’s supposed to be God’s foot that comes down from a cloud and squashes anything beneath it. And then there is of course Bigfoot, but other than that, I can’t think of any other iconic feet.

8. Monggerel says:

Huh. Star Wars still keeps on keepin on doesn’t it.

9. Gibster says:

I know I’m going to be in the minority here but I do have a question: Will they have the Clone Wars era as well? Look, the movies may have been crap, the characters lifeless, the plot a mess, and the acting equally bad, but for me the universe was quite captivating (a gigantic galactic war going on between corupt space capitalists and equally corupt space aristocrats). I really liked playing the Droidekas personally (mini-tanks). I certainly hope they don’t discard this part of the universe.

• ZPG Lazarus says:

This

Given the way EA nickel & dimes the Battlefield series I’ll bet my right toe the Clone War era troops will be a DLC.

10. milton says:

Part of me hopes that EA end up doing a Darth Vader. Realizing the error of their ways at the last minute, they redemptively create the greatest Star Wars game that anyone could have every dreamed of, providing free updates that don’t completely divide the fanbase and making this the most played FPS for years to come.

But realistically EA are probably just gonna end up being Anakin Skywalker in Episode 3, where he mercilessly turns on all his friends, wrecks everything they ever cared about and even manage to betray his one true fanbase. All while ‘you were the chosen one’ echoes in the background and he surveys the burning river of salt that is Battlefront 3.

• James says:

I hope there is someone at the EA board meetings with a rubber glove paid to slap anyone who mentions the phrases ‘in-app’, ‘in-game transaction’ ,’Jar Jar’ or ‘premium account’. It would increase EA’s standing tenfold, fortunatly I think they are aware that all eyes are on Battlefront. It is the first thing they will do with the Star Wars IP – they cannot afford to screw it up.

11. phelix says:

Space maps with fighters or no sale.

12. derbefrier says:

I’llwait for reviews and the inevitable launch day issues to be fixed. Then I will probably get it. Battlefield with a star wars skin sounds fun to me.

13. Loyal_Viggo says:

Mr. Alec Meer – question – as this is EA does that mean the game will be on Origin only, and not Steam?

If so fear I the possibility of me purchasing this game is approximately 3,720 to 1.

14. xcession says:

Yeah isn’t it time someone rebooted the flight sim series? Something like that recent Valkyrie trailer, skinned over with Star Wars and a full-scale actually trench-run-able death star is surely within hardware limits these days.

15. msing says:

Not sure how many people are on this site, but with a bit of effort could we create a petition to at least try and sway EA to release on Steam?