Likeable Roguelikelikes: Humble Roguelike Bundle

Given that one defining characteristic of Rogue, roguelikes, and roguelikelikes is that you can return to them over and over and enjoy a new experience each time, a whole bundle of them sounds like overkill. Well, that or a squillion hours of mirth for only a few quid.

The Humble Weekly Bundle: Roguelikes 2 launched last night with anywhere from three to six roguelikelikes depending on how much you fancy paying. They include the likes of Road Not Taken, Heavy Bullets, The Nightmare Cooperative, and A Wizard’s Lizard.

It’s the usual Humble dealio: you pay-what-you-want above $1, get DRM-free versions and Steam keys when possible, they’re mostly on Windows, Mac, and Linux, you can divide money between the devs, Humble, and charity as you please, and paying more gets you more games.

At least $1 (£0.70) will get you A Wizard’s Lizard, The Nightmare Cooperative, and Vertical Drop Heroes HD. Beating the average, which is $4.82 (£3.25) as I write this, gets you Road Not Taken and Early Access to Delver. Lastly, for $8 (£5.50) or more they’ll throw in Heavy Bullets too.

Between that lot, you’ll have a spread of roguelikelike genres: a platformer, third- and first-person action-RPGs, first-person shooter, and puzzlers. John was into Road Not Taken, I quite liked Heavy Bullets though admittedly haven’t returned much since The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth came out, I enjoyed what I played of The Nightmare Cooperative despite being rubbish at puzzles, and I hear A Wizard’s Lizard is a bit Binding of Isaac-y and pretty good. It’s a solid bundle, I’m saying.

1. phanatic62 says:

Heavy Bullets was great. It’s worth it just for that. One tip for anyone who buys it: to take out turrets, shoot the yellow box attached to the turret. I played for HOURS thinking I had to use bombs to kill them. I got significantly further once I was able to reliably take out turrets.

2. DrollRemark says:

Also, the main “Android” bundle is full of cross-platform games including Shadowrun Returns and Ironclad Tactics, which are what prompted me to get it.

• Kitsunin says:

Thanks for mentioning this! I was looking for good Android games, and forgot these exist. Plus, Ironclad tactics looked pretty good, I would have bought it before if I didn’t need to budget so heavily.

3. commentingaccount says:

Anybody know of some good multiplayer rogue-likes? This seems like a good place to ask.

• Jenks says:

I’d recommend:
      Dungeon of the Endless
      Magicite
      Risk of Rain

• vlonk says:

Realm of the mad God is another. Actually a MMO-roguelike
        I would add Magicka for the insane-ness. They have buggy netcode so buyers beware!

• April March says:

Man, I need to get back to RotMG. It was bonkers and super fun.

• Monkeh says:

Don’t Starve Together!

• dudleyfisher says:

Vertical Drop Heroes HD has co-op!

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Does the PC version of Delver differ from the Android version much?

5. Frank says:

Best bundle in years; it’s like they knew what was on my wishlist! Every game I’ve played so far (heavy bullets, vertical drop heroes, a wizard’s lizard) has earned a place among my steam favorites.

I was already a huge fan of vertical drop heroes from its origins on kongregate… first nerdook game I played and my favorite flash game after rebuild. I also happen to think that triple town (the predecessor to road not taken) was a masterpiece of design (even though I don’t usually go for that genre).

6. rexx.sabotage says:

ahhh Road Not Taken! I will be one of the few people to admit they own a copy of Triple Town and enjoy it on ‘the regz’. How did I miss that it has grown into a full and complete release?

Hmmmmm, it’s kind of a small bundle and I’m not really sold on Heavy Bullets :\