Watch Life Is Strange Episode Two Launch Trailer

Life is Strange episode two screenshot

The second episode of Life is Strange [official site] is expected to finally get out of bed next week, on March 24th, probably long after noon. To that end, here’s a launch trailer (which I suppose should be strictly described as a “pre-launch trailer”)!

(Psst! Worried about spoilers? You may not need to be: I’ve not played Episode 1 yet, and having watched this I don’t feel that anything that wasn’t already fairly common knowledge has been revealed. I.e. the game stars a teenage girl with a special power, and is about her navigating her particularly dramatic high school life.)

Pip offered us Wot She Thought of episode one back in early February, concluding:

“I know it sounds like there’s a lot of criticism there but episode one is also earnest and gawky and sweet. Life Is Strange itself feels teenaged. It’s not realistic and it’s not subtle but it taps into a vein of fiction I’d forgotten existed – one which is imperfect, exploratory and full of liminal charm.”

I can’t come up with a better precis of what appeals to me about Life is Strange than that. As is usual with episodic games and television, I’m likely to wait until the whole season is available before I dive in, but I’m happy that I can at least watch tidbits like this without feeling like I’m ruining it for myself. Developers! More trailers which don’t give everything away, please!

1. ribby says:

The bit where she proved her powers was exactly like the scene from groundhog day

• tehfish says:

It’s a bit like groundhog day, apart from the fact this one is actually entertaining ;)

(sorry, loved the premise behind groundhog day, but the actual film bored me to tears. It was one of the films where the entire sum of the film’s interesting bits were contained in the ~2minute film trailer IMHO :P)

• ribby says:

You didn’t like Groundhog Day and you found THIS entertaining?!

• foofad says:

It was at this moment ribby discovered that people have different tastes.

• Jackablade says:

And some people lack any taste at all – a terrible affliction I’m sure you’ll agree.

Please give generously to the People Without Taste Foundation so that some day each and everyone will be able to experience a sense of taste.

• ribby says:

eh, to each his own I suppose :P

• noodlecake says:

+1 to you

• aepervius says:

Fancy that I found groundhog day entertaining to the point I am watching it on semi regular basis over the year (at least once per year maybe more) but I found the scene in life is strange cringe worthy.

• noodlecake says:

I found every scene in Life is Strange cringeworthy. I had such high hopes too!

2. Monggerel says:

Waiting for the inevitable plot turn where Holden starts randomly murdering people then turning time back.
    … just like how I use the quicksave function. It’s brilliant.

3. bv728 says:

So glad Dontnod went this route, because they definitely have a knack for worlds and dialogue, but Remember Me’s combat was just not great.

Pip’s review is dead on – not for everyone, but it feels like teenagerhood in videogame form.

4. ribby says:

“but it feels like teenagerhood in videogame form.”

As a teenager I would respectfully disagree…. I found it fairly laughable.

• Malarious says:

On the contrary, as a teenager, I thought it handled things pretty well. I’ve been out of high school for a year but still spend a lot of time with 16/17 year olds and seriously, some lines could’ve been ripped straight from the mouth of one of my friends.

The in-game journal was absolutely horribly written, though, I’ll give you that. Like abysmally, groan-inducingly, “Oh god why did I waste money on this game,” kind of horrible, but I was pleased to find that the actual dialogue was much better done.

• ribby says:

maybe I’m just not a normal teenager then… Cos a lot of the dialogue really struck me as trying to hard. I was starting to grit my teeth each time they said ‘hella’ by the end.

• ribby says:

too*

• welverin says:

It could be a highly regional thing, or it could just come down to French developers not knowing North Western American teenagers that well.

• thedosbox says:

It’s just as likely that you hang out with a different crowd. “Teenagers” are not a monolithic group who all speak the same.

• DXN says:

As a non-teenager, I like Pip find this teenagerish in a refreshingly appealing way. :)

5. MrBehemoth says:

Actually, I felt that was a bit spoilerish…

“As a teenager I would respectfully disagree…” – The mistake they made was to not set it in the mid-late nineties. It would have been more at home there, like Buffy or even Dawson’s Creek. Maybe that’s why the thirty-somethings find it nostalgic. (Of course, if they had done that, everyone would compare it to Gone Home, so maybe not.)

6. Orija says:

I find it hard to take people with dyed hair seriously.

• foofad says:

Then it’s a good thing they aren’t dying their hair to please you.

• Kaeoschassis says:

I find it hard to take people seriously when they’d treat someone differently based on just the colour of their hair. But I guess we can’t all be perfect.

• RARARA says:

I find it hard to take people who find it hard to take people with dyed hair seriously seriously.

7. caff says:

Quite liked part 1. Should hopefully quite like part 2 too.