What The Hell Are You Doing In Mortal Kombat, Predator?

Official screenshots are a good idea

On the one hand, this is very much “er, what?” On the other, it’s a monster whose gruesome fatalities make teenage boys cheer making an appearance in a game whose gruesome fatalities make teenage boys cheer. Almost surprised it didn’t happen sooner. Yes, Headcrab-faced alien hunter the Predator will be taking a break from being horribly mistreated by cinema to become a playable character in the next Mortal Kombat game. As will Friday the 13th’s Jason Voorhees. Evil never dies. It just becomes DLC.

You can get these strapping young lads as part of Mortal Kombat X’s not inexpensive ‘Kombat Pack’ DLC, which will include more as yet unidentified characters. If that’s worth £24.99 on top of the game itself for you, go nuts. The Predator thing isn’t 100% confirmed for PC, having been outed via an Xbox store listing, but the ‘Kombat Pack’ DLC of the same name is indeed heading this way.

I don’t know. Playing as ol’ What The Hell Are You is not without appeal, but I’m not really up for spending some $80 or $90 to do that. Business models!

What’s particularly interesting about all this is that the Predator is a Fox-owned character appearing in a Warner-published game. Between this and the whole Spider-Man in the Marvel movies thing I wonder if we’re approaching an era where the walls of big firms’ closed gardens come crashing down as they realise the huge amount of potential moolah in mixing up their licenses. It’s what the internet’s been merrily doing for decades, after all. Finally, the stage is set for an official Game of Thrones versus Last of the Summer Wine.

Mortal Kombat X is out on Steam on April 14th. This still seems really weird, somehow.

1. Turkey says:

Seems kinda pointless if you can’t play as the Predator’s nemesis; Adrian Brody.

• fuggles says:

Who in turn has to fight Saul Berenson.

• siamezefun says:

You are aware that Adrian Brody has nothing to do with Homeland, rigjht? And neither does the Predator, for that matter^^

• Blackcompany says:

Took a chance on that movie one weekend while the girl was out of town at a Business Conference. Figured it would surely be a terrible clone of the original Predator. And the first five or so minutes almost convinced me I was correct.

Man was I wrong.

This was actually a far better movie than it had any right to be. Its not going to win awards or revolutionize Cinema, mind. But it was pretty darn good. Possibly on par with, if not better than, the original.

• SaintAn says:

And the Child Predator’s worst enemy, Chris Hansen. He should pop in at the bottom like the whoopsie guy during Predator fights.

• derbefrier says:

What about danny glover?

• Baines says:

Predator DLC comes with a new skin for Jax, Carl Weathers/Colonel Al Dillon. It is even listed as “Carl Weathers as Jax”.

Ed Boon “leaked” Predator being in Mortal Kombat X last July, when he posted a teaser image of Scorpion facing off against Predator with “Mortal Kombat X” in the background. The story that Carl Weathers had offered his likeness came out mid-February.

2. Sin Vega says:

When I was in school, I had a friend who called him [pree-DAY-tor], as in, one who predates things. Instead of “you’re one ugly motherfucker”, he’d say “I was around in the time of the Greeks!”.

well, I thought it was funny.

3. pepperfez says:

I wish MK could be more joyfully insane instead of perversely, disgustingly insane. I guess they went all in on “As bloody as possible” right at the beginning and it’s too late to reel it in now, but…ugh. High-impact corpse mutilation was much easier to stomach in 16-bit.

• Blackcompany says:

I sometimes wonder how much more realistic the violence and gore can get before it really does begin to turn people off. Me personally, I cant stomach the new Mortal Combat. Its just…too much, in my opinion.

• pepperfez says:

If this MK doesn’t do it, I can’t imagine anything will. Or rather, I don’t like to imagine what possibly could.

• MisterFurious says:

Yeah, I agree. I never played the last game because the Fatalities were just disgusting and not in a fun way. Maybe it’s the more realistic graphics or maybe it’s just because I’m getting old. I don’t think so, though. The Fatalities in the earlier games were more funny than anything. Uppercutting someone’s head off was pretty comical and it looked silly. Slicing people in half and seeing fully rendered guts spill out isn’t particularly funny to me. I saw Scorpion’s Fatality for the new game in a video and at first he shoots a fireball through someone’s chest and then they show the hole. I thought ‘That’s not too bad. Maybe they reeled in the gore in this one” and then the guy’s heart dangles down and he drops to his knees and then Scorpion sliced the guy’s face off and I thought ‘I guess not’. It really is oft-putting. What the hell happened to just freezing a guy and shattering him?

4. Rikard Peterson says:

“Predator 3/4 Mask Child Boys Latex Vinyl Halloween Costume” ?

Boys?

5. SaintAn says:

Lol! A Predator mask for a child to wear means they’re dressing up as a Child Predator!

6. AbsoluteShower says:

‘make teenage boys cheer’ – And adults! And why not eh?

As for the licences, they had Freddie Kruger in the last one, Jasoin and Predator in this one, not sure who owns what there though.

• EvaUnit02 says:

Well the Jason and Freddy guest characters make sense since Warner Bros owns all three of the franchises, MK, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm St.

7. Lord_Mordja says:

Actually they have revealed that the DLC pack will also come with Tanya, Tremor and a bunch of skins too (e.g. Jax as Carl Weathers)

I’ve been playing MK9 recently, my first real foray into the series that wasn’t playing it at the arcade as a kid, and it’s a surprising amount of fun!

• cpt_freakout says:

Good for you, actually, because MK9 is the first truly good game in the entire series. :P

8. JesterRaiin says:

What The Hell Are You Doing In Mortal Kombat, Predator?

Sk-k-k-k-k-rrrrrrrrrrrrrrr…

9. Shazbut says:

Is it possible yet to “be” Goro?

10. LockjawNightvision says:

Yew seen that mewvy?

Yew seen that mewvy what’s called pray-day-dor?

11. ansionnach says:

Predator will be in everything, eventually. The forthcoming crossover, “ET vs. Predator” is set to be one of the shortest films ever made. Or they could somehow make three of them if they get the guys who dragged out The Hobbit to do it…

12. ambassajer says:

Pull yourself together man, spider man has always been an marvel entity.

Serrit says:

Tywin and Olenna vs Compo and Norah Batty? Sign me up!

14. BooleanBob says:

Much as it means admitting we’re all getting old, I think we have to accept that anything Predator or Mortal Kombat related released in 2015 is primarily catering to a market of late-thirty or early-forty somethings desperate to recapture their teenage heyday, rather than actual present-day yoof.