The RPS Bargain Bucket: Carebear Glare

Iceland is, as you might have guessed, a cold place. I admit that, at the time of writing, I am still toying with the idea of asking Pip to sit in a bucket for me. She is almost adorable enough to be a plushie. But I lack intense witticisms to share today, thanks to a drastic absence of sleep. In lieu of thoughtful statements, have a bunch of cheap games – which is almost as good as bits of relative cleverness, ain’t it? (P.S: I can now segregate between ponces and fops, courtesy of British journalists.) Unfortunately, prices today will most likely be a bit (or incredibly) off, thanks to the absence of working Hola.

Gauntlet 4-Pack
$12.40/£8.29/€11.46
Arrowhead’s reimagining of the old classic isn’t perfect. You would probably enjoy it, if you’ve had a hankering for a spiffier version of the original with a few added twists. But, it isn’t great, especially not compared to Magicka. (And even Arrowhead’s Helldivers.) For those who are staring blankly at the screen, Gauntlet was an arcade hit that had you leading fantasy tropes through dungeons in pursuit of high scores and local glories. (P.S: The game is best with friends, I think, so that’s why you’re getting the 4-pack shaken at you instead of the solo agme.)

Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor
$15.48/£10.35/€14.31
You don’t really need to enjoy Tolkien to be able to relish Shadow of Mordor. In fact, I’ve encountered a whole bunch of people who fit into that category. Regardless of where you stand in the Middle-Earth fandom, it’s hard to refute the fact that Shadow of Mordor is slick. Murder is grisly here. Balletic. Similarly, the Nemesis system is one of the better applications of NPC artificial intelligence. Who knew that it could be so satisfying to just endlessly find more elegant ways to kill Uruk?

Shadowrun: Dragonfall
$7.50/£5.00/€7.50
Shadowrun Returns wasn’t a terrible game. In fact, it was a pretty decent tribute to the source material. But it definitely wasn’t great. The linear flow, the lack of extensive banter – all of these things added up to a frustrating, not-quite-right experience. But Dragonfall kicks things up a notch. Here, combat is more streamlined. The save system is less cloyingly frustrating. And there is an actual story, with party members who are genuinely interesting.to have a bit of a chat with.

Indiegala Spring Rush
Pay at least $3.89/£2.60/€3.60 for everything
While there’s something to be said about the social media conduct of one of the developers, this isn’t a half-bad bundle. Paranautical Activity, for one, is a competent shooter. And Deep Dungeons of Doom is weirdly compelling in that repetitive one-more-turn way. Needless to say, there’s also Surgeon Simulator 2013, which is excellent if somewhat old news at this point. (Ah, modern life. How quickly we lost interest in bloody everything.)

Also of note:

Avernum: The Complete Saga – $3.13/£2.09/€2.89
You need to be the right kind of person to enjoy Avernum, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. It isn’t pretty in the way some RPGs are, but it has depth. Staggering, cavernous depth. Which is, I suppose, as such things go, the better way to go about an RPG.

Euro Truck Simulator – $0.80/£0.54/€0.74
By and large, I need my games to fulfill this innate desire to click rapidly, and often for no reason at all. Consequently, Euro Truck Simulator isn’t quite my jam. But I have heard that it is a remarkably relaxing experience for those who enjoy this style of game. (A surprising number of people tell me that.) If you’ve been wanting to check out this quiet yet complicated driving simulator, the price drop might be the best way to go about it.

Rockstar Bundle – $20.38/£14.60/€18.83
Is there ever a week when Rockstar isn’t discounting their games? Tell me. I can’t remember the last time. But I’m finally prepared to surrender my loathing for their endless bargain bundles and remind you that there is, in fact, a decent package currently available for purchase on the off-chance you’ve missed every single other opportunity before. (Which you probably have not.)

P.S: Sorry for being so late. Damn time zones.

1. morbiusnl says:

have fun at the fanfest! ;)

2. Vacuity729 says:

The remake of Avernum, Avernum: Escape From the Pit, is also 75% off on GOG. In one sense it’s a much worse deal than the complete set (only one game), but with the improvements made (particularly to the UI), it is a good choice. Also, if enough people buy it (and Avernum 2: Crystal Souls), hopefully the remaining games will continue to be updated/remade.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Been awhile since I dived into that particular destroyer of free time, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that he was only remaking the first three? (again)
      Pretty sure Avernums 4-6 already have most of the improvements in the new versions. Somebody correct me if I’m wrong, mind.

Either way, I too would vouch for the newest versions. (Escape from the Pit and Crystal Souls) I am the sort who can shrug off just about any kind of primitive graphics (I still say the original Exile games were kind of pretty, for that matter) but something about the ‘old’ Avernums just doesn’t grab me. The new Escape from the Pit HAS grabbed, and is quite determined to never let go.

3. Vandelay says:

Requires staring eyes tag.

4. ikehaiku says:

Beware that’s it’s only Euro Truck Sim 1, not the truly acclaim ETS2.

5. Bernardo says:

The Shadow of Mordor offer on Nuuvem seems to be region-specific – I get an error message (Switzerland). It’s also available for €16.49 (€23.95 for Premium Edition) from gamesrocket:
    link to gamesrocket.de

alphager says:

Cassandra, shame on you for not posting the following GIF with this title: link to funnyasduck.net

• Frank says:

Heh, what a s*** website. What sort of image-host blocks permission to view its images?!

7. GuybrushThreepwood says:

Funcom has a special The Secret World package on sale for new accounts at

link to register.thesecretworld.com

You pay US$19.99 (around £13.40) for the base game and the first 8 “issues” or expansions, plus a month of premium (TSW is normally a buy-to-play situation). Great deal for anyone that’s been wanting to check the game out. TSW’s combat is pretty bad, but the story makes the time investment worth it.

• Awesomeclaw says:

I think the combat is pretty standard MMO-ness, but it does at least have a fairly interesting deck-building system for selecting your abilities. Really, my biggest issue with TSW is that the puzzle/investigation quests tend to be kind of bullshit.

• Vandelay says:

I tried this before, despite hating the gameplay of MMOs. I just can’t get past the dreary combat that it seems filled with. This probably not helped by a lot of the enemies you face at the start are basically zombies. It also suffers from the usual long drawn out plodding nature that all MMOs suffer from.

I only played for about 4 or 5 hours, but every minute I just wished they had made this into a tight single player experience.

8. welverin says:

For anyone who owns a Playstation system there’s s flash sale going on with a whole lot of stuff under a dollar (looks to be US only).

9. welverin says:

I suggest Gravity Rush to anyone who owns a Vita.

10. kerryvoyles says:

Peyton . true that Ethel `s postlng is astonishing, yesterday I got a new Acura from having made $5301 this-last/4 weeks and just a little over ten-k this past-munth . this is definitely the most comfortable work Ive had . I actually started 6 months ago and immediately brought home minimum $85… per-hour . try this out
    ———————->>> w­­­w­­­w.n­­­e­­­t­­­c­­­­a­­­­s­­­­h­­­­9­­­­9.c­­­o­­­mRe­­al