What Are You Playing This Weekend?

I know that you get asked this a lot, mostly by RPS and, of late, mostly by me. But come now: give me your answer, do.

I’m in the slightly awkward position of being on the cusp of a long overdue PC upgrade at the same time as being about to go on holiday. My new PC is mostly present but not yet built, and I’m trying to resist doing so before I leave the country for a week. Nothing can spoil a holiday like deep-rooted yearning for the shiny new hardware back home.

Thanks to the terrible burden of going on holiday I’m not starting anything new, nor am I buying anything new – it makes sense to hold off and see what tickles my fancy once everything is up and running, eh? At that point I- oh who am I kidding, I’ll probably reinstall Crysis.

Fortunately there’s plenty of other stuff for me to tinker with this weekend. My biannual desire to mindlessly shoot things with bullets emerging from my face has been stirring. This means it’s either time to replay Deus Ex for the sake of one gag, or to decide on an FPS to kill a few hours and a few hundred sentients with. I started playing Republic Commando out of nostalgia a few weeks back, and was really enjoying it up until the climax of the first chapter, so perhaps I’ll go back to that and push on through!

I’ve also been, er, playing Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles on the Wii. Like I said: I’ve had this urge to mindlessly shoot things, and I’ve always had a soft spot for both lightgun games and the complete nonsense that constitutes Resident Evil lore.

So how about you? How’s your taste in games? Is it better than what I’ve just owned up to? Is this too many questions? Should I just stop?

1. DanMan says:

But then again, you won’t find out if parts are broken, and then it might be too late to simply return them, so you’ll have to RMA them instead.

• raiders5000 says:

Speaking of “broken”, I really want to play Subnautica this weekend. Unfortunately…I don’t own it. The whole ‘Early Access’ thing I guess. So, I’ll have to force myself to play the new installment of Endless Legend. *sigh*

• Shaun Green says:

That is a bit of a concern, I have to admit.

2. darktatka says:

It is Elite Dangerous and Brutal Legend for me. I have a new Xbox 360 gamepad and these are briliant games.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Yep, the analog sticks especially are great for controlling your ship in all directions, something that could only be replicated with a dual flying stick configuration, and the D-pad is close by to easily rearrange your power distribution!

The controls are so well done that i’m starting to thinking that their idea to port it to consoles came FAAAAAAR earlier than announced.

• darktatka says:

Controller is perfect for flying around and casual bounty hunting with gimbaled weapons – but precision control it aint.

But when we start talking about real estate for my x52pro, pedals and throttle … well, I choose controller, I cant be bothered with setting it all up.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

I agree, it’s mostly for gimbaled stuff, but in that particular case is more than just for casual stuff.

Besides, the stick has something extra: immersion.

3. melnificent says:

Tabletop simulator with the kids. We go through the workshop and pick interesting looking games to try. Usually end up adding in extra pieces from other boards as that’s how games should always be played.

With a bit of luck a couple more hours on Cites:SKyline, which has made me look in more detail at how our village is constructed.

4. Morph says:

I got Outlaws from GOG and am giving it a go, it’s great so far.

• Shadowcat says:

Outlaws is awesome! Any time I spend gaming this weekend will be spent on this superb classic.

5. timbruls says:

I play Wii Bowling with my two year old daughter currently. She believes that it is the best game ever and tells everyone she wants to be a nerd, just like daddy. Mission accomplished!

When the little one sleeps, I plan to play Cities:Skylines some more and I hope to put some time into Rimworld as well

6. K33L3R says:

Bioshock Infinite Burial at Sea DLC

Playing this just rammed home how much of a stumble the main game was. Problem is now its the same setting as the first two games you really notice how much they stripped out of the game

Also playing Dungeon of the Endless, and sucking at it :/

• Muthabuffer says:

I just finished infinite and now I’m setting out on the DLC. I enjoyed infinites setting and story immensely (although not as good as rapture) but found the gunplay generally too easy with then random spikes of mild frustration, the amount of money baffling and ammo just never really a concern.

So far I’m loving the burial at sea dlc, its great to be back.

• K33L3R says:

Played Ep. 1with high hopes and No, the DLC is still FUCKING GARBAGE like the main game

So infuriatingly restrictive, such a bland game to play. Being in Rapture made it worse as i couldn’t do anything i used to do in Bio 2 like Hacking, prepare rooms with traps, customize gene load-outs, large array of different plasmids and upgrades, weapon enhancements, different ammo, specialized ammo to create traps, combining plasmids with cyclone trap, the gatherer mechanic, roaming opponents, the security system, desperate fights against the Big Sisters and the preparation that was required to make the fight a little easier, a better story, better atmosphere etc etc etc

I can not get over how dreadful Infinite was, all the more fool me for buying the DLC hoping that had changed. I actually feel more dumber for playing it :-(

• malkav11 says:

I heartily disagree with you about the merits of Infinite (particularly relative to 2, which early on feels like the third party knockoff of Bioshock 1 that it…well, kinda is), but yeah, the first DLC is more Infinite. If you dislike Infinite that much you’re not going to have your mind changed by either, probably. The second piece does mix things up some – you’re playing a much less combat-skilled protagonist and have very limited access to ammo so it becomes more of a stealth affair, but it’s still mixed through Infinite’s UI and gameplay, really, and TBH I found the stealth kind of frustrating in places because it’s not actually a stealth game.

I still loved it, but then I loved Infinite to bits.

• K33L3R says:

2 was my personal fav because i liked the story a bit more than 1 as it consistently delivered up to the end, the game-play balance was more refined too, wouldn’t say it was a rip-off as it was a natural progression from the first game (it’s no different from the refinement of say Homeworld 2 over the first game or the difference between Fallout 1 and 2), just because Bio 2 was a different dev it doesn’t mean its stolen, unoriginal or a cynical cash-in

Bioshock 2 was a worthy successor, Infinite isn’t. I dislike it because the name association led me to incorrectly assume what the game would play like and i entered the game with the wrong expectations and couldn’t see beyond them, no matter it merits. This way the fault is partially mine but that doesn’t change the utter contempt I felt the game had for me as a player

Own opinion of course, the fact you enjoyed it for what it was simply makes you the better man (or women)

• malkav11 says:

There are moments in early Bioshock 2 that are almost identical to those in early Bioshock 1, beat for beat. I don’t want to write it off because I know that people whose opinions I respect have really enjoyed it, it’s certainly more refined from a mechanical perspective (albeit that not being anywhere near the reason I’m interested in the Shock games), and I’ve only played a few levels worth. But it doesn’t have anything new to say so far as I have played. Infinite may be more flawed in some respects, but it definitely does. That’s why I prefer Infinite.

(Of course, I also really liked the combat in Infinite – it was very freewheeling and kinetic.)

7. CookPassBabtridge says:

They put Far Cry 4 on sale for the more reasonable £26 so I will probably continue on with that. May even go back to Alien Isolation with Oculus – I put it to one side after getting deeply into simming.

8. WelynDowd says:

Third attempt at finishing DA:Inquisition. I keep starting it, then something new comes along so I stop. I am shutting myself off from all distractions, not going to look at another game (hopefully I’ll have completed it before GTAV is finally released).

• welverin says:

GTA5 comes out the thirty-first, and you’re starting DA:I over from the beginning?

Yeah, no way in hell you finish that first. I’d suggest not starting over every time you go back to it.

• Creeping Death says:

Back to trying to finish Inquisition here as well.

I’m close to finishing it in terms of the main story, but if I just mainline that then I’m leaving areas pretty much untouched. It just seems wrong

9. One Pigeon says:

Coincidentally also about to play Republic commando. Messing around trying to get it to run in widescreen and in a decent fov. I remember really enjoying it a few years ago, so hopefully it still stands up.

• Kaeoschassis says:

It still stands up.

• One Pigeon says:

After an hour or so of play, I agree. It’s not the most complex of fps shooters but the mechanics are exactly right for this type of game. I’m definitely having fun.

• Immobile Piper says:

The enemies had a bit too much HP for my tastes, but the action was still fun and I did enjoy the aesthetics of ‘serious’ star wars.

Quite enjoyable clone trooper power fantasy, all told.

• Shaun Green says:

Pretty much in agreement with everything you’ve said here.

The toughness of the super droids feels like a long-running joke that the player is not in on.

• Immobile Piper says:

I started thinking about this and I think HP-sink enemies were made to force player to use the squad command system. That’s certainly what often forced me to order my squad to force-fire on a single super droid or cover me while I used heavy weapons on the bugger.

If the enemies died too easily, would I have used (and enjoyed) the simple and fluid command system? Possibly not, and the game would’ve been lesser for it. If so, it’s not a particularly elegant solution to make the player use it but it did the job.

• Shaun Green says:

Aye, I think you’re right. Ditto sensible use of grenades (a lesson I think the game tries to teach you in the solo ship infiltration bit in the first chapter).

• C0llic says:

Such a great game.

A real shame it never got its follow up. I can only assume it didn’t do that well, which seems baffling. It was brilliant at the time, and the fact it does still hold up so well really pushes that point home.

10. chaos4u says:

Mech Warrior Online
    Robo Craft
    and Star Citizen

thats my 3 big time sucks right now.

• Gibster says:

How is Star Citizen? I haven’t checked on it in a couple months. I have a Cutlass so there hasn’t been much for me unless they finally fixed its flight model. Did they come out with any more major updates (like planet side or fps)? I would imagine that as the year goes on those will become increasingly close release.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

That update is happening ultra-soon, but not yet!

11. VelvetFistIronGlove says:

Spintires! Having just bought it last week, I’m having great fun rolling around in the muck.

And in the game!

I’ll also be trying the demo of Ride, see how I like that.

12. Ostymandias says:

wow Republic Commando is really a classic
    I set the Macbook up on the kitchen table with my friends keyboard so I can play dota 2 without accidentally cmd-Q every two minutes while playing Viper
    final low prio game left after that little three hour debacle of frustrated trying to find out why my game crashed whenever i activated auto-cast on poison attack
    then I will enjoy communism in the form of the venerable Swedish tradition of “fika” which is also I game of sorts I guess

• SigmaCAT says:

Right-click your spell to enable auto-cast next time, it’ll sve you the trouble!

13. Vegard Pompey says:

I’m trying to finish a KotOR 2 playthrough before the imminent release of an Obsidian game you might have heard of.

I do love the writing in this game but the combat is ASS.

14. Tusque D'Ivoire says:

I’m having a retro weekend that makes me feel slightly old. I have gotten the original FEAR and Splinter Cell on GOG and even though I don’t consider them being old, I guess they are. But even though the same can be applied to me, I think I have aged better than them. Well, FEAR still looks rad occasionally, but so do I.

• Kaeoschassis says:

I’m sorry, what?
      What the heck in FEAR has aged poorly?

• Tusque D'Ivoire says:

You’re right. sometimes it all seems a bit bland, with low-res textures and boring hallways. But then an army comes for you and everything is particle effects, ragdolls and bullet flight paths. It can be beautiful.

15. prof_yaffle says:

I’m going to split my time between three games. Bioshock Infinite. I bought it on Tuesday just a couple of days before the 2K sale started. I think Alanis Morissette wrote a song about that. I was up very late last night playing it and I think I’m almost at the end. However I’ve gotten stuck at a point where the game sends a constant stream of motorised patriots at you and I think I’m going to have to put the difficulty down to easy in order to get past it.
    Hack and Slash. This game is fun right from the start, but it gets a lot better once you gain the ability to turn everyone you meet into a cat.
    Cities: Skylines. I haven’t played any city builders since the first Sim City and, wow, things sure have changed since then. I’m still on my first city, which is a bit of a mess. I’m going to see how far I can get it to grow before it all collapses.

16. lowprices says:

There are no “other games” there is only Monster Hunter.

Seriously. I planned to spend this year catching up on my backlog (very few games coming out this year that interest me), and then Monster Hunter comes out and I’ve played very little else since.

• GemFire81 says:

Hell yeah, Monster Hunter = 10 times better then most crap coming out these days.

• Shaun Green says:

A friend gave me his old 3DS recently and I played the MH4 demo. I quite like it, although it didn’t really offer much of a taste of what the game is /like/, just how it plays at a really basic level. To put it another way, the demo hasn’t given me any taste of what the game loved by thousands is actually like.

• GemFire81 says:

It is a MASSIVE game where you hunt huge monsters and craft stuff. It feels like a ” FUN ” version of dark souls.

17. Eight Rooks says:

Dying Light, enjoying it very much. It’s a clunky B-movie of a game, but it’s still legitimately awesome a lot of the time. I even like the story so far, poorly written and often awkwardly acted though it might be (though some of the voice acting is surprisingly good, even great).

Crypt of the Necrodancer, liking it a lot more now I can see how the difficulty ramps up and how the extra characters work. Really, really good, even in Early Access/incomplete, just screamingly hard. I am suspicious of how it gets much, much easier if you’re lucky enough to find a weapon, and grindingly tough/near-impossible if you don’t. But it’s still a lot of fun.

Resident Evil: Revelations 2. It’s still nowhere near as good as my beloved Resi 6, but it’s much, much better than the woeful Revelations 1. I left off on the second episode with the invisible enemies – I quite liked them, actually, but they were pretty tiring. Need to go back and progress now all the episodes are out.

• Shaun Green says:

Aw dang, Crypt of the Necrodancer is amazing fun. I’ve only played it at shows as I don’t own a dance mat, but it’s probably the only game requiring a dance mat that I’ve seriously considered buying.

18. Mud says:

To be honest I have no idea what I’m gonna play and I have 3 days off lol

19. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Have a whole day to myself for the first time in months and fancied something deep and engrossing to get lost in, plumped for Dragon Age: Inquisition which is currently downloading now. Let the engrossment commence! I know there are probably more RPGy RPGs out there and better told stories but I am a sucker for a good Bioware adventure, they’re just great gaming comfort food. And if the combat is ‘dumbed down’ from DA:O then all the better personally, I cannot stand traditional RPG combat especially when there was so much of it in DA:O. It works on a board, I get that, but I’d much rather they went full Dark Souls in future.

Carra says:

I’ve started playing Dragon Age two weeks ago and I’m about 20 hours in. At first the fighting felt odd, coming from playing the awesome combat of Divinity: Original Sin, but you get used to it. It is a huge game and I’ll probably be spending a few more weeks to finish it.

20. Nathan_G says:

I’ve been wanting to revisit Stalker: Shadow Of Chernobyl for years, so I installed Stalker:Lost Alpha last night. Impressions from a few hours in are excellent. The map is different, sometimes subtly, sometimes dramatically. Buildings are different, some roads don’t lead quite where you expected them too, and the landscape just generally feels significantly wilder. The ‘differentness’ of it all feels totally legit too, narratively, as it all sorts of fits with the notion that The Zone is an unpredictable, changeable place.

The game is still pretty janky, some of the AI is quite odd, and I’m trying to figure out if it supports any graphics/weather mods. But I can definitely see myself spending hours and hours with this.

• Kaeoschassis says:

I find it funny that when Clear Sky did that with the maps, people complained, and yet when Lost Alpha did it they rejoiced. I suppose it does help that nobody charges you extra to play Lost Alpha…
      Whatever the case, everything STALKER is still absolutely stellar and wow I really need to go revisit it again.

• Stevostin says:

well LA is free, CS isn’t.

If you’re into STALKER mods though I highly suggest to try the best russian mods translated ond ModDB. They are the best one. English is a bit sketchy but stuff like LA is seen as awesome stuff here while when put it’s perspective it’s just a good enough mod amongst what is available.

link to moddb.com

• fish99 says:

I didn’t see those complaints about Clear Sky, the complaints were about the faction system, which was not only broken (try winning the faction war as Freedom, they never attack the Duty base), but also very annoying. TBH most of the zones in CS are straight from SoC.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Yyyyeah I found that out the hard way on my very first playthrough. I ALSO found out it’s entirely possible for a lone player to clear out the entire Duty Base single-handedly, if he’s determined enough. That was, uh, fun. I think.

• Ross Angus says:

It’s a properly huge game. I replay a STALKER game each autumn, for some reason, and Lost Alpha is so much larger than any other.

It’s great. Apart from the Garbage. That map is garbage.

Also: the first car you get to drive is dreadful. The jeep is much easier to control.

• fish99 says:

Having a vehicle is great in Lost Alpha. With a bit of perseverance you can get the jeep pretty much anywhere, even to right outside the final base (X15?). There’s only the Pripyat approach section where you have to do without it, but once you’re at Pripyat you can easily go back for it. I feel that Stalker with a vehicle is the experience GSC originally intended, rather than lots of running back and forth selling stuff (the carry limit in Lost Alpha is quite restrictive).

The only things I didn’t like about Lost Alpha were the ‘comic’ cut scenes which didn’t fit the atmosphere, and the ending (from where you leave the reactor building onwards) is significantly worse than SoC.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Given how fast and far STALKER lets the player character sprint, I’d say you’re almost certainly right about that.

Yeah, okay, I’m definitely gonna give Lost Alpha a try next. You’ve convinced me.

(For what it’s worth, I actually really loved the ‘final’ section of the original Stalker, after leaving the reactor building. Something about that final area was just so wonderfully, subtly weird.

21. TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Super heavy smuggling in Elite, poor old Crimson state in Lugh pays 40k for each military intelligence! Hah! Between this and the other assignments, including ( and especially ) boiling people up, my answer for you for this week will probably be the same as the one from the next.

22. Chaoslord AJ says:

Ah, Deus Ex.
    “Relax, you killed a lot of people today.”
    “Mr. Denton what an expensive mistake you turn out to be…”
    Think I can recite the whole script by now.

Playing Minecraft Mod Pack “Regrowth” (FTB launcher). Only a custom-made barren land biome and you have to turn this wasteland into blooming eden with gardening and magic. Great rewarding gameplay that taught me to value the worthless “dirt” blocks.

23. Brinx says:

Still playing this wonderful new game called ‘Writing my master’s thesis”.
    Graphics are pretty bad, but it’s really complex and poses a great challenge.

• darktatka says:

But replay is pretty dull.

teije says:

I never finished that – the promise of the endgame wasn’t enough for me to put up with the all grinding required.

• darktatka says:

I did get there eventually, but the endgame is …. well, I would give it 8 out of 10.

In the end, English learnt while playing a href=”http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_Assault”>Urban assault demo was the most needed element.

• Kempston Wiggler says:

I hear there’s only one achievement with that but it’s a big one. Best of luck!

SoundDust says:

This week I gave in to the modern times and got an Xbox controller. Now I’ve been spelunking into The Cave with it – not far along yet but it’s pretty fun.

I watched a documentary on text adventures, and that led to trying out some old favorites. Superhero League Of Hoboken – just as funny as I remembered. It’s a bit of a chore getting around with that clunky interface, though.

25. pmcp says:

I was after a strategy game that I could just dip into and accidentally bought Civ IV. I’m skint & self employed so often buying games is about weighing up how much money I’m wasting vs how much time I’m wasting. This was only £2.50 in the steam sale but I’m not sure it will balance out…

Grizzly says:

I have prevented the Great Schism by annihaliting the Eastern Roman Empire entirely in Total War: Atilla. Will now prevent various religious conflicts in Europe by moving onto the Western Roman Empire and annihilating the catholic church, too.

27. Arona Daal says:

The Total Apocalypse Mod for Soulstorm.

Also a bit Valkyria Chronicles (which,sadly, turned out to be more of a abstract puzzlegame than squadbased tactics).

And in the Evening a Round of good old Project Reality.

28. LionsPhil says:

Probably some more Red Faction: Gorillas, after it was free-to-try/cheap-to-buy last weekend.

It’s kind of like Just Cause and Saints Row had a baby who hated fun. Somehow they made the tank controls worse. But piles of physics objects falling over is still entertaining.

teije says:

You have to admit it’s way better with great apes compared to the hairless bipeds it had before.

• Shaun Green says:

I absolutely understand why so many people are so fond of Red Faction: Gorilla Biscuits, but I’ve always been a bit more ambivalent about it – it’s a really variable, often ropey, often broken, often unbalanced experience.

But oh, those high points. So wonderful. And of course, Space Asshole.

29. stringerdell says:

elite dangerous trading/3rd rock from the sun marathon.

30. welverin says:

I think I’ll finally get around Shadow of Mordor: The Bright Lord, a bit of Evolve, and continue working Ground Zeroes depending on how long SoM:tBL takes.

31. JonWood says:

My main game will be Looking After the One Year Old Son. It’s very satisfying, but the difficulty curve is ridiculous, often you’ll get to a bit where it’s clear you need to do *something*, but there’s no clear communication about what.

In what spare time I can find I’ll be doing a spot of Space Engineering, bootstrapping a station from essentially nothing.

• PancreaticDefect says:

Luckily, that particular experience pauses frequently for naps. At least mine did.

Bluerps says:

I’ll probably start my first proper Cities: Skylines city. So far I’ve only tinkered around a bit in the game – drawing some roads, placing some zones, etc – but I didn’t have the time to really play it.

33. Cross says:

My gaming menu for the weekend reads “Battlefield 4, Max Payne 3, Sunless Sea and for dessert, Cities: Skylines.” Never let it be said that i don’t dine with variation.

34. Mr_Rosebud says:

I’m gonna try forming the Netherlands as one of the Dutch minors in EU4 — again. Any tips on how to do this?

• Notelpats says:

Having done this with Utrecht, I can tell you that you want to gobble up your single province Dutch neighbours quickly before they pick up alliances with an undesirable foe. You will also need to find a good alliance for yourself that will prevent Burgundy from roflstomping you early on. You should also take advantage of your position to cash in on trade, so basically you need boats.

teije says:

A strong alliance with France is key in the early game to counter Burgundy, and then Austria. Do everything possible to keep them buttered up.

Carra says:

Fun achievement to get, I formed the Netherlands as Utrecht and then did the Sinaasappel achievement, needing you to get some land in China.

At the start, grab some of the one province minors around you so you can establish a small power base. After that, I had some luck when France invaded Burgundy. I also declared war on Burgundy and let France do all of the heavily lifting. After that, I just took as much land as I could in the peace deal, making me big enough to get an alliance with France. France won’t really mind you taking a few minor provinces and with them at your back, who cares if all those small guys are mad at you?

Was a very fun game and I ended up having coastal provinces from Calais to Denmark.

35. tomek says:

Heroes of the Storm. I just cant stop, dat blizzard crack :/

• Kitsunin says:

It’s good shit, especially after a cramped schedule forced me away from good ol’ (well, sort of) League of Legends.

• Brigand says:

Yep same, completely hooked by it.
      Oh and here’s an EU Beta Key for whoever wants one: GJXXWJ-D4FR-ZTWHNW-BBWH-PMXPWD

• Verato001 says:

Wow,had to register just to thank you Brigand! I have Heroes Beta but my girlfriend doesn’t and we have wanted to play together for months! THANK YOU so much!! :D:D We’re so happy!

36. Dunbine says:

Dishonored. Finally getting around to it, after looking at it sitting unplayed in my Steam library for years.

It turns out that literally everyone was right – it is pretty awesome.

• fish99 says:

The 2 main story DLCs are well worth playing too btw.

• KenTWOu says:

Just finished low chaos walkthrough of both DLCs and in the middle of the 2nd high chaos walkthrough. Both DLCs are so good, so good. In fact, I think that Daud’s abilities make them even better than the main campaign.

37. mrwonko says:

It’s been a couple of years, but I just felt like continuing my Assassin’s Creed: Revelations playthrough after rewatching Skyfall made me crave Istanbul. (Hooray for Cloud Saves, if they’re still there.) Except it’s conspicuously missing from my UDontPlay account, which of course I only noticed after downloading it through Steam and trying to start it.

So now I get to wait for the Ubisoft support, which only works Mon-Fri. I guess I’m not playing Revelations this weekend.

So I might try out Hitman: Absolution (from the recent Humble Bundle) instead. Or I could continue my journey into console land on my PS3 (our first anniversary is coming up) with some more Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time. (Oh, I just got the pun. Took me a while.)

38. horus_lupercal says:

Dark Souls for me, I will beat that damned Ornstein and Smough this weekend no matter how many attempts it takes me. I love this game so much, it’s challenging, though not as cahllenging as people claim, and defeating some of the bosses gives one that lovely feeling of accomplishment.

beyond that I’ll be playing Housework 1.0, though it’s pretty boring and never seems to end, combined with Dog Walking 2.0 which is nice but can be rather time intensive.

• Immobile Piper says:

Took me about four hours to beat them, and I didn’t even use/find the NPC helper for it. Probably the coolest boss in the game too.

I had a little dig at Warlords Battlecry 3. Now I’m wondering if I want to keep digging it or go back to Battle for Middle-Earth. I’m not too keen on RTSs, but this could be one of those weekends. Or I’ll just keep trawling through Age of Wonders 3 beta patch, ’tis fun. Some issues still, but I’m enjoying myself with the rainbow maned unicorns and frankly all the more broken looking orcs.

Another possibility is that I’ll give Vietnam ’65 a go, still not 100% sold to try it this weekend simply because of time constraints.

But right now wife demands we spend more time together so I guess this day will be spent casually abusing animals in Pokemon Stadium, N64 style.

• Blackcompany says:

Took me hours as well. A boss fight so good (and I hate boss fights) that given the direction the game went from here, Dark Souls would honestly be a better game, if it had just ended at this point or soon after.

• horus_lupercal says:

Aye I beat them on my first aborted playthrough rather easily and it was the only time I jumped out of my seat and cheered. I agree that the game goes a bit downhill after that, not including the fantastic DLC, with Nito and Seath being pushovers and the bed of chaos is just pure trolling on the part of the developers.

Roll on the Scholar of the First Sin!

oh and I have the day to myself Immobile Piper due to my other half having a girly day in Manchester and then going to see The Producers and so far i’ve spent it tidying, walking and cursing the concept of hangovers.

• Shaun Green says:

Ornstein and Smough are fantastic bosses. I ended up defeating them solo on one of my ‘training runs’ (i.e. I was expecting to fail, just trying to learn their patterns and develop counter-strategies), which prompted one of the rare moments where I shout “YES!” and unironically pump my fist.

Ahem, this is a little cheeky but if anyone is interested I wrote this about Dark Souls last year (and yep, it was an attempt to find something new to say about Dark Souls, rather than just saying the same things everyone else had already said :).

39. Caiman says:

Chaos Reborn. It’s still in Early Access and is now my most played Steam game, basically because it feels like a polished and well-balanced experience, and yet each update keeps adding more great goodies. I never tire of magic bolting some poor guy’s wizard.

40. Morcane says:

I’m having a great time with AC: Rogue on PC which I got as a birthday present this week, and I’m giving Tropico 5 a swing – it’s free to play Steam this weekend.

41. GemFire81 says:

Monster Hunter all day long!!! First time in a very long time a game has me this excited!

42. Minsc_N_Boo says:

I bought Wasteland 2 in the steam Xmas sale, and I think it is finally time to venture into the wastes. I just need to think up a backstory for 4 characters first :-)

43. Ludomation says:

Cities Skylines, Nuclear Throne, Evolve and a bit of Ori and the Blind Forrest for good measure :D

44. bill says:

The Witcher 1.

Continuing adventures in Vizima. In this weekend’s episode:
    – Has Geralt pissed off every important character so he can’t complete any quests?
    – Can he ever get into the bloody graveyard?
    – Can he ever get into the bloody tower?
    – Can he ever get out of this bloody town?
    – Can I be bothered to try and work out what ingredients I need for specific potions, or will I just keep making whatever is available to me?

also:
    The combat is great, why did everyone hate it?

• malkav11 says:

That is a mystery to me as well. It’s certainly loads more manageable than the sequel.

45. Kaeoschassis says:

EYE: Divine Cybermancy. (What the hell do you mean it’s not a word, spellcheck?) Effectively got it for free after a certain RPS commenter recommended it and have already put far more time into it than I really intended.
    My gosh. Yes, it’s poorly translated, yes, it probably made very little sense to begin with, yes, I can already see a couple of poor gameplay decisions and no, absolutely nothing about playing it is properly explained. No, I do not care about any of those things, I am having a blast. It is EXACTLY the sort of thing that keeps me coming back to gaming. It’s another Vampire: Bloodlines, another STALKER. Broken, crazy, and the most fun I’ve had in ages.

46. Keran says:

I still have about an hour left in the second book of Dreamfall Chapters, so that’s going to be the first thing I play. And then, who knows? I have an unfinished Classic campaing in XCOM Enemy Within that I’ve been planning to get back to…

47. Hauskamies says:

Thief Gold. Been long time overdue I finish that masterpiece.

48. DrScuttles says:

Waiting for the final part of a new computer to arrive. Twiddling my thumbs thinking hey Scuttles why not go for speedy delivery from a supplier not in Germany, you’ve already spent about a grand and that’s not counting all the gin. And why not just have it delivered to work in the first place when there’s always someone there?
    But after that, I will play all the games. Likely starting with Dark Souls. Again. Because I have a problem.

49. pepperfez says:

I don’t know, Shaun, that right polar bear looks awfully jolly in a perfectly games-appropriate way.

50. ExitDose says:

I’ve been playing Out There: Omega Edition. I think that it should have stayed on mobile platforms. On PC it’s just more noticeable how spare the game is. Even on mobile platforms I’d have to wonder why you’d pick it up, seeing as FTL is available there. It’s just a series of events with a really shallow resource gathering mechanic on top of it.

I’ve also been playing Sentinels Of The Multiverse. Great game, but I feel that there should have been some designed scenarios included with it. I’m also of the mind that they didn’t include enough in the base package.

I hope to play something else this weekend that isn’t a mobile port, like the above. I’m aiming at Catacomb Kids, Phantom Breaker, and W40K: Armageddon.