Zombined Arms: HL2 Mod Modular Combat On Steam

Modular Combat screenshot

Modular Combat [official site], a Half-Life 2-based multiplayer RPG-FPS, has been released on Steam. You don’t need to own HL2 to play. Players take the role of Combine, Resistance or Aperture characters and fight to the death against other factions, in free for all deathmatches, or against a variety of Half-Life monstrosities. I’m not sure why Combine Hunters and Manhacks are fighting Combine footsoldiers, but hush Shaun, it doesn’t matter when it’s fun.

There’s more information on the various game modes summed up in this handy trailer, which also goes into a little detail on the various upgrades available to players.

This isn’t a new mod. It was first released in 2008, and previously appeared on RPS all the way back in 2010 when Lewis Denby covered mod news. Ah, nostalgia. Development has continued on and off for the past few years, though in recent months the focus has been on getting through Greenlight. There was a slightly panicked project update last year claiming the mod was dead due to changes in Valve’s Source resource packages, followed by a second update saying “actually maybe not”. It follows that going through Greenlight and getting onto Steam might be part of an initiative to avoid similar problems in future. Modular Combat currently requires ownership of Half-Life 2: Episode 2 in order to install, although developers Team ModCom report they’re reaching out to Valve to try and circumvent that requirement – another advantage to getting on Steam, no doubt.

I spent some of my Saturday morning playing a little Modular Combat on a German server, and it was good! I was very much in need of some fast-paced shooting after a long week and it delivered, particularly running around the Doom E1M1 map blasting monsters alongside fifteen other players. I didn’t earn enough levels to tinker with the various character modules and upgrades much, although I did treat myself to the ability to spawn friendly turrets. Can’t go wrong with a friendly turret; Portal 2 taught me that.

The project’s ModDB page lists the sponsored servers the game is running from; there’s also talk on there regarding dedicated servers.

1. DXN says:

This looks like an old-school blast. Congrats to the team for keeping it going so strong!

2. shaftz0r says:

“requires ownership of Half-Life 2: Episode 2”

i had previously skimmed the article because i was immediately sold and ready to try it. i saw “hl2 mod” and thought nothing more of it. wrong. Lets buy a game that i wont play, to play a game thats a mod of a game that i already own? think about that for a second.

• Baines says:

I was somewhat sold by the “You don’t need to own HL2 to play.” at the start of the article, only to be surprised to see buried midway through the article “requires ownership of Half-Life 2: Episode 2 in order to install”.

What was the point of singling out not needing HL2?

• Shaun Green says:

I think a bit of confusion has arisen in the editing process, so apologies about that, folks!

The most recent news update on Steam states that Ep 2 is required to install the mod. I think this is more down to the assets used than anything else, hence my note about the developer reaching out to Valve to get that requirement circumvented.

link to steamcommunity.com if anyone wants to check for themselves.

3. Wedge says:

Reminds me of the RPG horde mode mods for UT2k4 back in the day, though I doubt this is full of grappling hooks and black hole bombs.

4. Phaser Rave says:

Thanks for the news post about our mod. PAL-18 got in touch with Valve and managed to convince them to lift the HL2:EP2 restriction: link to steamcommunity.com

5. PAL-18 says:

We also have more things down the road. Modular Combat 2 is the big one, it will be on a new engine (Alien Swarm aka Left 4 Dead 2) and it will be completely rebuilt from scratch. How do you feel about Left 4 Dead 2’s AI director sending a stream of monsters straight at you?