Spring Break Forever! Payday 2 Update Parties On

This Gone Home fan game is weird.

Ooh, they do like a bit of spectacle, that Payday 2 [official site] lot! Developers Overkill Software split the latest update over nine days, which I must confess is long enough that I sorta lost interest and stopped paying attention. But! The Spring Break update wrapped up on Saturday, out and done and ready for us to play with new heists, masks, weapons, mods, a second female character, and more. Unlike the first ladyrobber, Scottish bruiser Bonnie is free for every player – huzzah!

One new heist has folks cooking meth for as long as they like, fending off the rozzers and carefully following the recipe lest the house blow up. Another’s a visit to a car showroom to grab fancy expensive cars. Lastly, the Hoxton Revenge heist follows on from the Hoxton Breakout mission and sees the Payday gang cracking a safe house to get the informant who grassed up Hoxton.

Then there are new weapons in Bonnie’s shotgun and whisky bottle, the new ‘Gambler’ perk deck, new akimbo weapons, new mods, new crosshairs, new daily and weekly ‘Challenges’ offering unlocks and cash, and glimpses of things to come. Oh, it’s a lot, just go look.

Nine days and many small patches rather than one big one did seem excessive to me, but perhaps I’m being grumpy because because each Payday 2 update chews my hard drive for about 30 minutes after downloading. I’m not entirely sure what it gets up to, but my PC isn’t keen on it. I’m quite keen to yell at people in a thick Scottish accent, though. The female Payday members have pretty great accents and dialects – Clover had a fine sweary Irish voice too.

Hey, here’s someone playing as Bonnie, to give a sense of what she’s like:

1. SMGreer says:

That accent’s a bit all over the place, isn’t it?

• LionsPhil says:

Perhaps she’s been hanging around with that Demoman bloke.

They apparently share a taste in melee weapons.

• flibbidy says:

it sounds pretty good to me. i would be surprised if it wasn’t authentic

• SMGreer says:

As best I can gather from IMDB the voice actors’s Irish. Which would at least explain why it sounds decent at points and then horribly non-Glaswegian at other points. Like I say, all over the place.

• Rizlar says:

Aw, it’s pretty bad, isn’t it? Got really excited after seeing the artwork of her and considering how decent the other voicework is.

Feel like they could do a much better job on the recent default character masks as well. They seem to have lost sight of the iconic scary clown look, sticking saltires on them and trying to make them look badass rather than terrifying and hilarious. Minor quibbles anyhoo!

2. zind says:

Dang. I got excited by the headline, hoping to pop in here and read that the XP boost was being extended indefinitely. The new heists are all pretty fun and I’m never going to say no to more weapon mods, but that XP boost really breathed some life back into the game for me.

3. Kraizk says:

Is this why the damn game had a series of updates every single day!? It caused me and several other people I know to uninstall it.

• Awesomeclaw says:

Yeah, I know a few people who actually like the game, but don’t have it installed because of the constant updating. What bothers me most is that they frequently add new intro videos which add practically nothing to the game (especially since I’ll probably watch them at most once), but I still have to download.

• Legion23 says:

I disabled auto-updating for that game for now.

• welverin says:

Um, that seems excessive. Why not just turn automatic updates off?

4. X_kot says:

“I knew there was something special about you the first time I saw you. It was written on your masks.”

5. KDR_11k says:

Also it adds the gun turret to some SWAT vans on certain maps. That thing is rather nasty but at least it can’t chase you. Unfortunately the AI has a tendency to get chewed up by it.

• LionsPhil says:

I’m amazed people play with the AI enough for that to be a problem. It’s already got so many other ways to be completely useless that adding one more on the pile shouldn’t make a difference. (Unless it has substantially improved since a couple free weekends back.)

• Awesomeclaw says:

The AI’s fairly useless but they’re also pretty good for tanking and helping you up. I also like to do a single player run of new heists with the AI so I at least know the map layout and what to expect.

6. drewski says:

It’s probably your anti-malware or anti-virus chewing over the update patch that makes your HDD have a conniption after it downloads. I was wondering why Steam kept stalling 5 minutes after I started it and noticed that while the download had finished, it was stuck in “installing to disk” or whatever the status is – and the anti-malware process had 70% CPU utilisation.

Anyway, looking forward to playing as a wee lassie.

• Blaaaaaaag says:

This has to do with the way Payday 2 updates. It expands by 10 gigs or so during the process, writes a bunch of stuff, and compresses again, or something to that effect. If you don’t have 10gb+ free when you try to update Payday 2, it won’t even try to do it, even if the patch is just 200mb.

The 30 minutes Alice said her machine chews on the updates for is a bit excessive, mine is usually done installing them within about 5 mins of the download being finished.

7. kevmscotland says:

Ah thank god, isn’t just my machine that gets its harddrive eaten by PayDay 2 updates. Was starting to wonder if the thing was having problems.