In The Trees – Dragon Age: Inquisition Story DLC Released

A nice spot for a dip.

Video game forests: yes, more please, thank you. Big trees, dappled sunlight, ferns, moss, lichen, wild flowers, and hidden ponds: ooh twist my arm.

BioWare released the first singleplayer DLC story hunk for Dragon Age: Inquisition [official site] today and while I understand there’s something about Inquisitors and dragons in it, the real take-away is that it has a big forest. With ferns, tree houses, mystic groves, ancient ruins, some huge cliffs with waves crashing at the bottom, and something about an old god and ice dragon, ‘Jaws of Hakkon’ is on Origin for – cripes! – £11.99.

As clearly I’m unable to focus on anything other than the scenery (in truth, I think too much of the forest has dreary desaturated tones, and I’d rather it were all far more moist and mossy), I’ll quote the marketing spiel to explain what Jaws of Hakkon adds:

“Discover the fate of the last Inquisitor and the powerful dragon he hunted. Enter an overgrown wilderness filled with Avvar, fiercely independent hunters who settled in the southern mountains of Thedas. Explore their culture to uncover what happened to the last Inquisitor and the dragon he pursued. Find an ancient Tevinter fortress that hides a dangerous secret. In this new adventure, playable within the Dragon Age: Inquisition campaign, you will face powerful foes, gain legendary armour and weapons, and confront an ancient god of war bent on destroying the world.”

Like I said: a big old forest.

1. jha4ceb says:

Pretty impressive that they can even make a forest orange and teal.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

I see the rather weird assumption that Frostbyte is somehow technologically limited to desaturated colors and Instagrammish color palettes is still running quite strong.

Much like when they said the same about UE, then Fortnite appeared.

Eitherway, i never noticed this game lacking in colors, if anything it’s actually pretty subtle. It’s one of the very few games that can be played in wide gamut ( not native fully unlocked, AdobeRGB is more than enough ) without everything going crazy.

2. Fnord73 says:

the joy of playing it on the PS3 -)

• Alceste007 says:

I enjoyed the game just fine on a PC. Although I did give in and plug in a controller. The controls were definitely mad with a controller in in. Still, Dragon Age Inquisition is a great game. I may pickup this DLC to play over the weekend.

JiminyJickers says:

I don’t see why people complain about the controls, I never had a problem with it. Can’t stand to play this on the controller, everything is so much slower to use and you can no longer quick save. Completely confused by this.

Well, I’ll probably pick up this DLC after a couple of run throughs of Pillars of Eternity.

3. Orija says:

Everything about this game was so generic that I couldn’t get myself to play after gritting my teeth for three hours. I just fail to see what people liked about it – the story is embarrassingly cliche, the dialogue is corny, the animations suck, the combat gets broken easily as long as you stick to a certain set of companions, side quests are shit, the rpg mechanics have been trimmed, the levels are cluttered like Ubisoft’s open world titles… I could go on and on.

While I don’t think anyone really gives two hoots about my opinions, but I’m really curious to know what it is that people liked about this game?

• Wulfram says:

Maybe check RPS’s review?

I would say it only really hits its stride like 10 hours in, but if you’re that bored of it after 3 hours I doubt that’s of much interest to you.

• SMGreer says:

Well you’re just going to have to accept that there isn’t some hidden mystery allure to the game, waiting for you to discover but simply that its fans simply don’t agree with your criticisms.

The story is cliché in so much as a lone saviour is required to fix a world threatening problem BUT there’s plenty of colour in other aspects of the game (politics, themes, characters etc.) to make this a non-issue. I also consider the dialogue, on the whole, very well written. Is it realistic or authentic or whatever? Not at all but with the purpose of breathing life into a larger than life fantasy world, it’s fantastic. Go watch some clips of the new Final Fantasy game for truly awful writing.

And that’s just the tip of the iceberg. There’s plenty of positive opinions about the game elsewhere that if you want to understand why people enjoy it, you can. Otherwise, accept that you disagree and maybe avoid clicking on articles related to that game you really dislike, to then comment and let people know how much you dislike it.

• MisterFurious says:

“Otherwise, accept that you disagree and maybe avoid clicking on articles related to that game you really dislike, to then comment and let people know how much you dislike it.”

So, no one is allowed to read an article about a game unless they really like it?

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Okay, so caveat my opinions on the basis I am only 15 hours in and I’m not a hard-core RPG lover, but what this game does is frame traditional gaming activities (I.e. pointless combat, endless grinding, theme park exploration, and gotta catch em all looting) in a way that makes you care about the consequences. One of the reviews, possibly RPS, pointed out this is the only game to give me a fetch 10 ram skins quest that I actually thought, yes godammit I should do that for the welfare of these refugees. It’s perhaps too subtly different to MMOs and some understandably berate it as such but personally I think Bioware have gotten very good at channelling that middle ground between hard-core/casual, story/gameplay. It is enjoyable in every sense of the word and in a world where the trad-Bioware hole is being filled by kickstarter projects I don’t get why gamers are so pissed off at one of the only AAA developers playing so creatively fast and loose with their output. I am well aware the internet disagrees and await your vitriol, but really, you still have your expectations set on Baldurs Gate 3?

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

You simply cannot win, if Baldur’s gate 3 ( and Half Life 3 ) truly existed, they would betray most of the expectations.

They’d be great games, mind, but expectations in the gaming part of the interwebz are, well, rather on the wild side of the spectrum. Actually, scratch that, it’s not that they are actually too high, they simply are misguided, which is worse.

• atticus says:

I’m with you on some of those negative experiences. Although I like most of the plot/setting, story and many of the side-quests, the lack of proper PC-controls AFTER FIVE GODDAMN PATCHES is just making me hate this game with a vengeance. Also: the combat, which is just a total clickfest with no tactical element to it whatsoever.

• derbefrier says:

no you are not alone. Truly one of the most generic, uninspired RPGS I have played in a while. I can understand that people like it. Its not a horrible game. It plays well, there is a lot to do, the story isnt half bad (for a video game) but minute to minute gameplay is just so goddamn boring. IT all basically boils down to suffering through the MMO like fetch quests and hoping the next story quest breaks up the monotony enough to keep you going a little bit longer.

• WiggumEsquilax says:

Based on what I’ve been able to gather from other people’s opinions, many fans of the game share your view of the game’s mechanics. Even in the RPS review, the combat was none too lauded. Fans seem to enjoy the game world, the decisions one makes as leader, and the character interactions.

Dragon Age: Inquisition: A Telltale Games Adventure.

• ThinkMcFlyThink says:

Well, I’ll give my opinion as one who has thoroughly enjoyed it. The most obvious statement I can make is that I at least hope you made it out of Haven.

1. “The story is embarrassingly cliche” – Okay, sure from a certain perspective of “hero unites to fight the big bad”. But I enjoy how the story is continuing to flesh out to the lore of the Dragon Age universe (e.g., the Black City, the Fade), rather than just taking the story on its own at face value. I also really like components within the story, such as the trouble with Wardens, because of how it builds off critical elements on the first game. I also find many of the companions very interesting, and their stories quite compelling. Finally, I love the semi-beneath-the-surface story regarding the Elves and what exactly happened with them. So sure, it’s cliche at face value, but no more so than most games, and there is a ton of interesting stuff all over the place.

2. “Dialogue is corny” – well, agree to disagree. I think there’s a lot of amazing dialogue, and certainly some corny dialogue too.

3. “Animations suck” – I didn’t really notice, except for some weird clipping with Varric. They seemed fine to me. I don’t notice the finer details in that kind of thing though.

4. “Easy Combat w/ certain Companions” – maybe, especially if not on harder difficulties, but you don’t have to play for optimal utility. I take characters with me based on my interest in them, their interactions with each other, and their relevance to the quest.

5. “Side quests are shit, levels are cluttered” – I don’t really disagree here, though there are certainly some exceptions. I just stopped doing most of the map-specific side quests.

4. Flea says:

It sure is pricey for a DLC, I wonder how many hours of gameplay will we get from it. I would expect a territory at least as big and quest filled as Hinterlands. At least, considering it’s a quarter of the full game’s price.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

I’m not trying to disagree with you, actually the concern you’re raising is a pretty valid one, i’m just here to ask if the time needed for completion is really a valid metric.

Wait, i’m not saying it’s not a very big factor, mind, but i’m pretty sure that it’s absolutely detrimental to use it alone.

Random example: let’s say this DLC is 5 hours long. If it doesn’t resonate properly with the “main quest”, without offering enough options that not only change the outcome of the DLC itself but also echo with the rest of the game, then yes, i totally agree with you. If that’s the opposite, though, i’d still see as something to buy in a heartbeat.

Oh, and yes, as you surely have guessed i’m trying to be optimistic.

• Flea says:

I do realize now that my comment sounded one dimensional, even though I didn’t aim for that. Of course that time needed for completion shouldn’t be the only metric, but it should be one of the valid metrics. If it’s something that really adds up to the story and has some memorable gameplay, then sure, I’d buy it as well even if it’s shorter. I suppose I will look at a couple of reviews and then make up my mind.

• Ahkey says:

I don’t know if it helps sway your decision any, you can get it for around half price if you Hola from Brazil.

5. Buuurr says:

Imma wait until all these packs go on sale… no way I am paying this much for DLC.

• bleeters says:

If it’s PC we’re talking here, get comfy. Bioware dlc rarely if ever goes on sale or is reduced. Hell, they’re still selling Mass Effect 2 dlc for the full release price. That game is five years old.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

For a long list of reason i never came around to play any of the mass effects, and your words are absolutely helping me wait for that rumored HD remake with everything included.

• Buuurr says:

Yeah, I know it well. Its the reason why I have never played a Mass Effect DLC…

• bleeters says:

Which is a real shame, because a lot of it is just really good. Mass Effect 2 had some great dlc. Dragon Age 2’s is better than the actual game, though all things considered that maybe isn’t all that hard.

At least it seems like you can just buy it direct now. Selling their dlc for ‘Bioware points’ that you could never actually buy in the exact quantity needed to get the dlc you wanted was the stupidest thing.

6. amateurviking says:

Too rich for me right now. Especially in absence of any reviews.

7. IEatCereal says:

It took my friend about 5 hours with a maxed out end game mage. He also said there were about 3-5 cutscenes (with a good ending apparently), lots of fetch quests, merchants and busy work, a couple of more difficult than standard fights (like a rift that had 4 pride demons) , the obligatory slew of codex lore, some new schematics and the inquisitor gets a bubble shield. (Please note he played the Xbone version :p)
    To be honest I would have liked a smaller area with more story since inquisition has many large open area’s where there are more mmo style fetch quests than side/main quests
    This just seems like one of those dlc that are great in the goty edition when we can get all of them at once, but not so great when they’re sold in pieces at about 1/3 of the cost of the game. I don’t really want to pay $15 for something I’ll complete in 5-6 hours and then only if I do every fetch quest and explore every part of the map. So while its better value for money that some other dlc, I’d rather wait than buy it now

• Flea says:

Five hours is definitely too short for this price. I was going to buy it, but it’s way shorter than I expected. I guess I’ll wait for some sale, Pillars of Eternity is out in two days, that should keep me busy.

• IEatCereal says:

Well to be fair its a lvl 20 + adventure and depending on your gear it could take you up to 10 consecutive hours if you play without breaks. Some of the trash enemies have 49k + health. Its also got some great lore on the original seekers and you find out more about the avvar (mostly through the codex). The schematics also make weapons and armor better that anything you have and the map is large (hinterlands sized) and pretty in a generic magical forest way. This is a mid campaign quest and there is unfortunately a lot of padding, and while inquisition fetch quests> mmo fetch quests, it feels like this is another area that would of been available at launch if they’d have finished it earlier. Nice and certainly more value than skins or weapon crates or horse armor, but maybe not worth $15. Your mileage may vary

• Flea says:

Thanks for providing more details, I appreciate it. I’m glad it’s Hinterlands sized, cause combined with my obsession for turning every rock and opening each crate, I might be there a while :)

8. S Jay says:

Still Origin exclusive? I will pass

Carra says:

Started playing a few weeks ago and I’m at 25 hours with the end nowhere near in sight. I can still play a few weeks without any DLC :)

10. Joote says:

Oi, it did win the Bore-fest of the year award, and fully deserved it. This is one of the greatest games ever for helping you get of to sleep.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Will buying this make Solas love me?