Lively: H1Z1 Has Sold Over 1 Million Copies

Not very cosy.

“That’s nice, dear,” is my usual response to boasts of big business numbers. They rarely reveal much interesting unless you’re really into the nitty-gritty of #business (in which case, fair play to you). Why do I raise an eyebrow at news that H1Z1 [official site] has sold over one million copies?

Well, while many (me included, probably) have muttered that the Early Access open-world zombie multiplayer survival genre is overcrowded with folks leaping on DayZ‘s bandwagon, it’s evidently vibrant enough for a million folks to pay at least £15 for a game which will be free-to-play when it eventually launches. I’m surprised.

“We have sold over 1M copies of H1Z1 on Steam!” goes the short and simple tweet from Daybreak Game Company president John Smedley. H1Z1 launched on Steam Early Access only two months ago.

“Wait, Daybreak Game… what?” you may ask. Ah, yes. In case you missed the news, I’ll repeat: Sony recently lopped off its MMO-y arm Sony Online Entertainment, the limb behind EverQuest and PlanetSide and H1Z1 and all that, and sold it to an investment company. The transition was bumpy, including a fair few layoffs.

So how come H1Z1 is doing so well when, to a casual observer, it seems to be doing just the same old DayZ thing? Well, for starters, it does have PvE servers where no one can murder you horribly. The horrible murder is a big draw of the genre for many, of course, but it’s not everyone’s cup of tea. It’s craftier too, and apparently people like crafting things – our Alec was one of them when he played. It’s got some interesting premium PvP modes as well, like the last-man standing ‘Battle Royale’ mode which slowly pushes players into smaller and smaller area.

I haven’t played it, mind, so please do share your thoughts, observations, hopes, dreams, loves, fears, secrets, and credit card numbers with me.

1. Chris says:

I would only play this pay to win turd if someone paid me to review it.

• Pureelites says:

I absolutely love it when people when idiots like this make comments like that… Pay to win? Come on be serious. Keep your comments to yourself until you actually know what you’re talking about. You say you havent played the game? Then you obviously know nothing about how the market works. You realize theyre air drops right? ANYONE has a chance to kill you and steal your stuff.. If its pve, who the hell cares. On pvp, its fair game. Im tired of h1z1 myself, but its far from pay to win.

• Jenks says:

Spoken like a true fan of pay to win.

• Jiggawatts says:

Not going to explain it to some simple kind of thinking brosef but you know, go watch someone play the game on twitch.tv, since thousands of people are play as I type this, and see how P2W the airdrops are. It just sounds like you are feeling super salty and that’s ok, son.

• skittles says:

I have never played, just watched a few vids, and I can definitely say this is P2W. You can get some awesome loot by paying for it. And as you are collecting your loot paid for with your hard-earned dosh, the leeching turd hiding in the grass can pop your head off and collect his loot. So yeah you are paying for the other guy to win. GG. ;)

• C734R says:

First things first, anyone who says this game is P2W check your dates. Anything before February is invalid. Then, tell me what sources you have left. The airdrop bug was fixed a few days after launch. It is far from P2W. Anyone disagrees?

• C734R says:

Also, you pay for the event and the chance to get the loot. You don’t pay for the loot. THAT would be P2W.

• johndenver666 says:

AHHAHAH seriously? p2w? haahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

These are the ONLY airdrops with weapons

10.0% Chance to call in this airdrop

The Hobo: Shotgun 1x, Shells 12x, Moonshine 2x, Torch 1x, Twine 1x, Bear Sandwich 1x, 7 Zombies

The Lone Wolf: Pistol 1x, Ammo.45 14x, Logs 2x, Wolf Sandwich 1x, Animal Trap 1x, Deer Bladder 2x, 7
      Zombies

HAHAHAH you guys are so inept at figuring things out for yourself and you bitch and moan about the silliest things…10% chance for an airdrop with weapons! and two clips at that…if it was an AR with 300 rounds…that would be p2w I would think…however…like I said…continue to bitch and moan about trivial shit,

I would personally LOVE to buy some P2W just to make you cry…..however…I have no urge to wait 15 minutes to POSSIBLY loot a shotgun with 12 rounds..

take care QQ some more about shit that DOES NOT EVEN MATTER

2. Canazza says:

I paid the entry fee, played it with my clan for two weeks. We had a lot of fun, We spent most of the time driving around and picking people up in police cars (we had 4 at one point) and going hunting for loot caches. The game devolved into a Kill-on-sight respawn-fest very quickly as duping was a major problem (lots of ammo and guns for all!), and bases were completely undefendable.

They fixed the latter by letting you build higher and removing the ability to stack boxes outside and Minecraft your way inside. The former I don’t know if it’s entirely fixed and I don’t know if it can ever be totally fixed. I know it’s better than it once was (hell, it was so easy at one point we accidentally duped 100 wood planks on day 1 when a friend disconnected while dropping his stuff to trade)

Frankly though, for Early Access, it’s got more going for it than most Zombie survival games at the moment.

They also need to up the Zombie threat. They’re just minor annoyances at the moment.

3. Spluff says:

People jump onto these type of games en masse because while the market is saturated, none of the games in it are actually good yet. They’re all buggy messes. People will continue jumping on each new zombie survival MMO until they find one that actually fulfills their desires. The first company to make a polished survival MMO will be rolling in riches, and they will also kill off most of the competition..

• EveryoneIsWrong says:

You are exactly right. I am one of those people who are desperate for this genre to finally have one good game in it. I have bought and played almost every single one of these turds that has been shat out (and I do often find some fun in them). I am still waiting for someone to make a real effort though instead of cashing in on the craze.

• derbefrier says:

Exactly what I was thinking. All the zombie survival games, all seemingly perpetually stuck in some form of early access, all very buggy, all have big promises, all have yet to fully deliver. The first one that does is going to make some one very rich.

• Pureelites says:

None of them are good yet? … Wow lol. The reason the market is being saturated is because of the success of some of the others that were or are good. The market doesnt get saturated by a certain game type unless it actually works.

• theslap says:

The market, in this case, will be saturated as long as The Walking Dead is the most popular show on television.

4. razgon says:

But isn’t this the game that ISN’T free2play, but comes with a 6.95 dollar subscription fee for entrance to various events?

5. AngoraFish says:

An open world survival and crafting game without the need to worry about getting ganked by 12 year olds? I must give this game a second look.

• Thurgret says:

I work with children. It’s my experience that they often aren’t very good at games, and also largely keep to consoles to boot – you know, it would make for a somewhat interesting study to see why parents feel comfortable buying games consoles for their children, but not gaming PCs, although I don’t think the results would be anything startling.

• zachdidit says:

I was around 11 when I started heavy PC gaming. But favoring your point, my parents weren’t too keen to see me running around wildly brandishing a knife as a spy in TFC.

• Immobile Piper says:

A console is what, 200-300€? A gaming PC would be at least twice that. I’d guess it’s easier for a non-gamer to buy the cheaper option. And then there’s the old “consoles are easier/more convenient” mantra.

• Pureelites says:

Hmm that’s where you are completely wrong. I’m in my 30s, been a gamer my whole life. I’m not the greatest, but not terrible either.. I’ve come across a lot of kids, my little brother included that are much better at games than I am, even pc.

• Moraven says:

My siblings and I grew up on both PC and consoles. NES, non hard drive PC games played from 3.5 floppy. 33 Mhz IBM, Win 3.1 and DOS. 200 Mhz Compaq. Dune II, Civ 1. Tribes. Westwood Online. Age 6-10. Had a older brother but I think I troubleshooted most game issues. Remember him upgrading to a Voodoo for his own PC, as I was regulated to the family PC. Master of Orion 1.

It was true them for 90% of games and still true now I feel. Midline PC can play everything fine. Was not until 19 or so I built a custom PC.

Landscape definitely has changed. Minecraft seems to have attracted a lot to PC, but now its on other platforms.

• April March says:

If you are twelve and cannot make purchasing decisions on your own, it’s much easier to say “I want a Xbox One” than “I want a gaming PC with this video card and this motherboard and this…”

6. macek677 says:

If not Twitch.tv and popular players that are being paid to play this game (Lirik?) this game would be dead within a week.
    Game is very poor, simplistic and arcadeish.
    There is only a few weapons available,
    There is an option for micro-transactions in ALPHA version of the game,
    Game is boring overall and the moment twitch users like Lirik, will stop playing this game it will die-off faster than most of you think.

I’d say save your money and watch some twitch.tv/youtube before purchase to make up your mind if you like what you see.

• Pureelites says:

While twitch might help a little with the sales, it wouldnt make or break the game. You realize a lot of people wont watch a game unless theyre interested in it. Lirik is a joke. The game is poor, simplistic, few weapons, blah, blah, blah… Well, it’s early release. All early release games are UNFINISHED. Always adding new things and being updated… Though I agree with saving money, wait for it to be free.

• macek677 says:

Do you remember not too long ago when Dev companies had to actually pay for people to test their product?
        Today with little human psychology manipulation people are doing it for free… wait! They even pay for it!
        See where I am coming from?
        Early acces/pre purchase options – are cancer in gaming community.

• April March says:

I never play Early Access games. Because of Early Access, games I’ll buy when they’re released come out a lot better, because the devs creating them had a reliable cash flow during production as well as extensive testing. That’s like the opposite of a cancer. A scorpio, I suppose.

• maxscunion says:

I remember when Devs had to pay for people to actually test their products.
          I have grown up playing games since the late 70s so I know what you’re talking about.
          But check it out, even back then I was thinking to myself that Devs were stupid for it. I would have paid a high price to get into my flavor of the month favorite game during testing and now I can and it had nothing to do with manipulating human psychology.
          The only cancerous thing about it is all of the sub humans that buy in and complain about every little thing that is or goes wrong and aren’t actually testing the game but expecting a finished product.

7. April March says:

I don’t find it surprising at all. It used to be that devs would release games as pay-to-play, fill it to the brim with microtransactions, assure that they would never go F2P, then go F2P within six months. This way it’s a lot more honest.

8. SpArRoW says:

For all those douchbags who think this game is pay2win YOUR WRONG do you even know what you get in an air drop?i have got quite a few just playing battle royale not once have I got any guns or ammo you must have good luck to get an assault crate I have got farmer crates ,builder crates and welder crates. How does that help you kill anyone?It is a good game and it keeps getting better so don’t knock it till you try it. Keep up the good work guys at h1z1.

• Catweasel says:

Do you think freaking out and calling people douchebags when they’re misinformed is a good approach to enlightening people?

9. ahmedmkhan18 says:

The Indian film actor, Bhaijaan of Bollywood Salman khan is going to rock the box office again with his upcoming films. It has been confirmed that Salman khan has a very busy schedule till 2017. The list of Salman khan upcoming movies is as follows.

Click here for more…