Safe: Payday 2 Gets Two More Years DLC, Updates

They see me patrollin' they hatin'

Payday 2 [official site] studio, Overkill, have announced that they’re going to be putting out updates and supporting the game for another two years thanks to a new deal with publisher 505.

The devs certainly seem excited about the news (“We love working on Payday 2 and look forward taking care of our game for two more years, making new free updates, paid DLCs and awesome campaigns together with the community”) but I decided to ask Alice as she’s someone here who actually plays it.

“I’m curious to see how they plan to satisfy grizzled veterans without alienating newcomers,” was the reply. “I started playing a few months ago but already am overwhelmed by DLC bits I know I’m missing, and am put off rather than enticed. But Overkill seem to be getting better at striking a balance between free and paid additions.”

I just checked and there are 27 bits of DLC listed as available, from Christmas soundtracks to diamond store heists. Some are free updates while others, like the Dragan character pack are a few quid.

1. Awesomeclaw says:

One other thing to note is that only one player in a group needs to actually have paid for a DLC mission in order for the group to play it. Plus, some of the paid gear (such as grenades) can be shared between players, at least in a limited way. So, it’s possible to have only bought the base game but still be able to play all of the various DLC missions.

• Kitsunin says:

Also worth noting that if you create a game with a DLC heist it will show up through matchmaking for everyone, so you don’t even need to have a friend with a DLC heist to be able to play it.

The granades are the one spot that I think is kind of lame, because having the DLC which gives grenades means you have grenades and other people don’t. Even if you get the grenade-box asset, it has a limited amount of grenades, so you have more grenades overall if everyone in the group owns the DLC. It’s not a big difference and it’s cheap DLC but I’d consider it rather iffy.

• PoLLeNSKi says:

Grenades, the shotgun and sniper rifle DLC were definitely ‘easy-mode’ DLC that make the game far easier than it otherwise is – Deathwise difficulty was completely watered down by these additions. But since it’s not PvP I don’t really care.

I’ve already given Overkill a ton of money for a great game with a decent marketing model – I always buy any stealthable missions at full-price so I can have a fun night working out how to solo them (on Deathwish of course) which is actually pretty good value for money as it takes quite a few hours to work them out.

I have a friend that buys ALL of the DLC as soon as it’s released so he hosts for our group to do the non-stealth maps together on the release days and I then buy them myself in a steam sale just for completionism :)

• KDR_11k says:

To be fair the grenades are mostly for getting a huge cleaning bill when you press the wrong key while trying to switch weapons :P.

• Artist says:

The smart way how they handle DLCs was the reason why I supported them and bought most DLCs. Very good decision that mission are joinable by everyone instead of splitting the community!

phuzz says:

“Come here, let me share this grenade with you”
      *BOOM!*
      “I probably should have shared the pin too”

2. Cross says:

People, for some reason get quite indignant about the sheer volume of content Overkill has been putting out, and i don’t really get why. It, while expensive alltogether, easily triples the amount of content and variety in the game, and is a far more efficient approach to doing this than building a new game from scratch and selling it at full price. Overkill does DLC right.

• DarkFenix says:

Indeed, it’s not as though Overkill released a half-finished game and have been holding content hostage ever since. Payday 2 was a finished game, it was a little light on heists but a number of those have been in free DLC since. The paid DLC is all nice extras; heists, weapons, cosmetics. I wish more companies did DLC like this.

• charlesg says:

It’s the same reason why people get worked up over the incredible amount of Train Simulator DLC, that nagging feeling you’re not getting the whole, complete experience if you don’t own it all.

• Merlin the tuna says:

The weirdest part is that every time they put out an update, I see a bunch of comments along the lines of “UGH MORE MONEY GRUBBING, release Payday 3 already.” It’s like… they just added more heists; what exactly do you think Payday 3 would be if not more heists? How is this not filling your expressed need, guy with 10,000 hours of Payday 2 played?

Admittedly I’d be happy to not have the game spamming up my Steam activity feed and trying to download a new 1.5GB update every single day, but I can’t think of a game that’s been supported better by its devs than Payday 2.

• Jalan says:

Easily on track for most expensive GOTY edition (not counting any active/past discounts) with no promise of physical extras. (I’ve probably wrote that before, but it doesn’t make it any less true)

People don’t get their hate on for the fact that Overkill is offering extended support, they’d just like a breather from the paid content (or a cease of it, given how lucrative it has already proven to be for the studio – as this announcement makes quite clear).

I’m not quite sure what gives the impression that a studio like this should unassailable when it does stuff like this though. Sure, it is excellent that they simply don’t drop attention to the game and focus on something else entirely but just because they’re doing that doesn’t really give them a free pass on everything else.

3. Greg Wild says:

I generally find myself picking up the DLC when it’s on sale for <£1. The fact that I play with maybe 8 people regularly, there's almost always someone who has the mission DLCs, which are the main thing which gives the game replayability. I don't feel too overwhelmed by it, and I've been playing pretty consistently for a year now.

4. DrollRemark says:

It seemed fairly straightforward to me when I started Payday 2 a couple of months ago – just don’t buy the DLC straight away. This isn’t a game you need to be completionist about, just try the missions provided by the base game, once you’re bored of them, and you still enjoy the game, get the DLC.

• Rizlar says:

Indeed. And the DLC is heavily discounted on a regular basis. They had a big sale the other day where I picked up the Irish character for one pound something. Seems worth it for the ability to shout ‘gerds!’, let alone the extra perk deck and what have you.

• imperialus says:

Plus her inspire lines are flipping awesome “Get the **** up or I’ll stomp on your *****”

5. Janichsan says:

It better does: they still have to release the Mac and Linux versions of that game. The longer they support Payday 2, the more the players on other operating systems have from it.

6. HyenaGrin says:

Alice is my favorite, and I am tickled that she plays Payday 2.

I’ve played Payday 2 an above-average amount probably, and I quite like it, but unfortunately I don’t have too many friends who enjoy the game and it’s tough to round them up for a game. So I haven’t played in a while, because the game is just too finnicky to frustrate myself with pubbies (I assume. Honestly, I haven’t tried).

Which is a shame because they’ve released a lot of content that looks pretty interesting. Maybe I will try to rouse up the crew again and see if we can’t get back into it. (And I bought the Clover DLC just before I stopped playing, so I kinda wanna get some use out of that)

7. Monkeyshines says:

I haven’t played it in a couple months, but it was my go-to game for a while. I really like the way the DLC is done here – release a solid game and then pile on extras. The DLC definitely feel like ‘extras’ by adding something interesting but not required, and they go on sale frequently.

Payday 2 and CKII do DLC right and I’m happy to keep buying (most of) them.

8. zind says:

I am with Alice on this one. I am not a grizzled veteran, only having Infamy 4 at the moment, but the people I usually play with have been Infamy 5 pretty much since that was a thing that was possible.

I enjoy the game, but I’m finding it harder and harder to get them to come back to it. Generally when a new heist is released they’ll come back for a few days, but as soon as they’ve beaten it on DW and gotten its cheeves they’re done again. I don’t mind playing with pubs on loud missions, but I’ve had too many trolls fuck up stealth runs for me to ever open up a stealth lobby to the public. Sad, since I enjoy the stealth stuff most of all.

Qazinsky says:

Yeah, stealth is quite fun in Payday 2, have you tried talking to the players that screw up the stealth runs though? Sometimes they are just new players that don’t know better, don’t know that you need to use a silencer, that people still can hear silenced kills if close enough (unless using the right skill or being the host), line of sight, that kind of thing.

I cannot tell you how many times I’ve stealth played that one bank that is the base of like 8 different missions, but it’s usually the most fun when it almost goes loud, usually saved by someones paniced sprint halfway across the map to gun down a witness because you’re busy with your part of keeping the alarm from going off.

9. kevmscotland says:

I still want Overkill to attempt a SWAT4 style game. I really think they could pull it off fantastically.