Double Fine Releasing Broken Age Act 2 On April 28th

Imagine the comedic potential of the second half of something called Broken Age [official site] coming out. Something about how it’s fixed. Jokes about superglue. Jibes about Double Fine being ‘butterfingers’ warning them not to drop it again. You could reference Atomic Kitten’s Whole Again or Coldplay’s Fix You [no links, not now, not ever -ed.]. Endlessly entertaining.

At the end of the day, all you’d be trying to do is drag out news that Double Fine have announced plans to release the second half of their crowdfunded adventure game on April 28th.

That’s when it’ll arrive on Windows, Mac, Linux, and other things beyond the remit of a PC games site, Double Fine tweety twooed. Back before they realised quite how much work they had to do, the developers had planned to release the second act in April or May 2014. Better late than… well.

Our John was quite charmed by Broken Age’s first act, and he suspected some of its problems might be caused by the game being split.

Broken Age’s Kickstarter was also to fund a documentary about the making of the game, mind. Double Fine have started releasing more and hunks of 2 Player Productions’ docufruit for free for everyone. So far, up to episode nine (of eighteen) has gone public, and you can find the rest in this playlist or, y’know, buy the lot.

Lexx87 says:

As a backer I found the documentary a great series to follow. With the game a nice bonus alongside it.

• Runty McTall says:

Me too.

Many people seem to forget that the intention of the Kickstarter was really to make a documentary following the development of a game from start to finish. To do that, you need a game. Once the Kickstarter did well, the scope of said game expanded (and deadlines went back (and we also got more documentary episodes)).

Two Player Productions have done a great job on the docs imho. Even the theme tune is excellent.

• Tacroy says:

I actually couldn’t watch the documentaries because they use the same music as Dustforce, and the dissonance between the intensity of Dustforce and the laid back pace of a documentary was too much for me.

• Ysellian says:

Documentary was definitely great, but I was too scared of spoilers to continue watching it as I personally prefer to play the game in one go. In the end most of the commentary has been that the documentary is really great and the game was meh, so I’m kind of wishing I continued watching the documentary :/

• welverin says:

There weren’t spoilers until the release of part one of the game, and from then on they’ve only been of part one. SO if you played that, you’d have been fine.

2. rustybroomhandle says:

Learned a lot from this whole thing.
    – If you promise a small throwaway game, some people will whine incessantly if you try to give them something better
    – Some people refuse to accept anything other than exact clones of games they played in the past
    – Some people don’t read good
    – Some think they know all about how to run a company, even though they have never done so
    – Some don’t realise what it costs to run a business in San Francisco
    – Some don’t know the meaning of the word “scam” and like to bandy it about
    – Some folks hate games that try and have their own look/style/identity
    – Bandying about is an international sport
    – I like saying “bandy about”
    – I once didn’t even know what confirmation bias was, and now I see it everywhere!

• Alexrd says:

Touché.

• alright says:

Preach.

• noodlecake says:

I couldn’t agree more… Apart from this bit:

“Some people don’t read good”

Could not read the word “good”? Could not read documents that have sentiment that some might consider to be of a positive persuasion?

But yeah. I loved Broken Age: Act 1. I don’t really understand how anybody could have any kind of issue with it as a game. It looks beautiful, it sounds beautiful, the world is interesting and engaging, and it’s unlike any other adventure game in terms of it’s presentation and general feel and tone. It’s a little bit of a shame about the gap between episodes but I don’t work at Double Fine. I don’t know anything about the process involved in the making of the game, and I have never developed a game myself so I have no grounds to make any kind of assertions about whether this is reasonable or not.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

It’s not his spelling, it’s your knowledge of pop culture references. ;)

• welverin says:

” I don’t know anything about the process involved in the making of the game”

Well then, start watching the documentary. It’s great!

• Humppakummitus says:

This is a sad day for a certain small but enthusiastic section of RPS readers, but at least they always have DF-9.

• Synesthesia says:

Amen brother!

• Moraven says:

Over a six-to-eight month period, a small team under Tim Schafer’s supervision will develop Double Fine’s next game, a classic point-and-click adventure.

Spending more and expanding the game does not make a better game.

Cost is irrelevant when they promised a Adventure game for $400k. It shows that Double Fine still has issues over budgeting and project management (Brutal Legend). Writing for Part 2 was not even done until Fall 2014. Original promise date of October 2012 (at budget goal scale). It took 2.5 more years to complete. They had to release half the game, essentially as a 2nd Kickstarter (felt like a FTL where over half the game is done, but just need a little more to polish), to fund the 2nd half. I would have been fined if it failed, since we would have gotten a nice documentary on why it failed. DF (or Schafer) is lucky it has enough fans and goodwill from people to keep the afloat. Most other Kickstarters having troubles do not have this safety net.

Rest of the complaints listed seem nonsensical.

• Yachmenev says:

The original plan was not a promise. And it was scrapped one day into the kickstarter.

• Shuck says:

“Cost is irrelevant when they promised a Adventure game for $400k. It shows that Double Fine still has issues over budgeting and project management”
        To the second part: No, it really doesn’t. What they promised was a documentary about making games with an extremely small, rudimentary game to use as an example of the process. (I think they made this abundantly clear by talking about how little of a game even a couple million dollars would pay for.) When they raised more money, they not only could make a bigger game, they pretty much had to – can you imagine the outcry if they had released the tiny demo they had originally planned, after raising millions? Double Fine were damned whatever they did – large, “real” game or small demo-sized game for the documentary.

• AngoraFish says:

And yet they still managed to spend over double their original kickstarter pledges again…

• Yachmenev says:

There’s nothing unique about that. Wasteland 2 did the same, as did Dreamfall Chapters, and I’m quite confident that Pillar’s of Eternity has used additional funds also. It’s only a problem when all possible funds runs out, which hasn’t happened with this game.

There’s nothing that says that kickstarter projects have to use only those funds they received there.

• Crafter says:

Yeah, because they should have only used KS funds for the game. How dare they ?

• draglikepull says:

I get the feeling that the vast majority of complaints about DFA have come from people who are not backers of the game and who just, for who knows what reason, have an axe to grind with Schafer.

• tomimt says:

What comes to adventure games in general, there’s a small, vocal group of people who are a bit of stuck in the 90’s. While I do like old adventure games and tend to look at them with rose tinted nostalgia glasses, the amount of nostalgia and the thickness of the glasses some people wear is so overpowering, that they just can’t even see the flawed design those games tend to have, nor do they want the design to evolve anywhere from where it was left when the genre grew cold.

• RandomGameR says:

To be fair to the complainers, Doublefine have yet to deliver a small throwaway game or something better. They’ve delivered half of one, and I loved the hell out of it.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

I’d also add that they didn’t NEED to open their business in San Francisco, anywhere would have been fine but Tim Schafer clearly didn’t want to move far from the social justice hugbox so any problems running his business in such an expensive place are his and his alone as far as I’m concerned.

• rustybroomhandle says:

“social justice hugbox” … Amazing how I now know all I need to know about you.

• allineedtoknowaboutyou says:

That’s all you need to know? Well all I know about you is that you think Tim Schafer’s horrific budgeting and game release schedule is a good thing. Also that you think Social Justice Warriors aren’t a joke. Doesn’t paint a very good picture of you.

But what did I expect from a website with that unironically says “We do not have a freedom of speech policy here” above their comment section. Do you think you’re not in a hugbox, friend?

• Yachmenev says:

You know that Double Fine was started in San Fransisco 15 years?
        And that when you start a business, you’r always always always most likely to start it where you live?

People trying to use the location of DF as an argument of Tim Schafer are hillarious. :)

And as it for being his problem, when has he ever shied away from that responsibility?

• socrate says:

Yet you still didn’t learn that you know nothing about these thing obviously either and think of yourself a bit too highly and should learn word like:self-absorbed,egocentric,narcissistic and lets add to this vain.

3. Arren says:

[no links, not now, not ever -ed.]

And for that, we thank ye.

4. heretic says:

Interested in this but I think I’ll wait until all the episodes are out. Same story with life is strange and dreamfall, not much motivation to get involved knowing you will hit the end of the episode quite quickly, got other full games to finish in the mean time!

basilisk says:

There are no more episodes. This is it; act two of two. (Though it seems that it’s more like acts two and three of a three-act story; it should be noticeably bigger than the first released part.) Come April 28, the game is done.

5. Merlin the tuna says:

The first half of 2015 is looking like a big deal for Doublefine. Between the Grim Fandango landing in January, Broken Age in April, and Massive Chalice looking like it’ll follow closely behind, that’s quite a push for a mid-size studio. That’ll give them a nice chunk of cash and team members freeing up around the same time – it’ll be interesting to see what they announce in the next few months as a result.

6. Bob Barker says:

Spacebase DF9, never forget.

• drinniol says:

Isn’t it open source now?

• Crafter says:

I think it is (I have to admit that I never checked up on it).
        That’s not really the issue though.
        DF ‘launched’ DF9 as an early access game with Prison Architect’s development model : a first very rough version and a ‘continuous’ development cycle.
        I think it is a great way to commercialize such a game. It does wonders with games like Prison Architect or RimWorld : each version brings new features, the devs get very early feedback and can discuss where the game is going and it as soon as there is enough content, it is a lot of fun to launch the game every version or two in order to try out the new mechanics.

In my opinion, DF9 has one huge flaw though : it was not very good. The base mechanics of a PA in space were there but I never got any fun with it. Maybe it is subjective and that other people liked it but in my case further release only diminished my interest in the game.
        One thing all these games have in common is that they don’t talk about the end of their development cycle.

In DF9 case, the sales were considered largely insufficient by DF in order to sustain its development so they decided to shelve the project. People who bought the EA version of DF9 where given a copy of Hack-n-Slash and … that’s it.
        There is clearly an issue with this kind of sandbox game. I don’t think DF ever made hard promises on DF9 development plan but they did include a list of potential future features that goes far longer that was has been implemented. The original page is down, so I can’t check their exact wording ..
        I am not sure of the correct way to handle this kind of game. Maybe a kickstarter to fund x months of development with alpha 1 as a demo ? If the project is funded successfully, the dev team will work on the game for a fixed period of time that can be prolonged as long as the sales are enough to maintain the project.

• Yachmenev says:

Well, we do know that you won’t at least. :P

7. BiggerJ says:

This is going to be a fun month. April 1st: KC Green’s new ongoing comic He Is A Good Boy begins. April 13th: Homestuck starts updating again. April 28th: Broken Age Part 2 is released.