Baf! Bim! DC Comics MOBA Infinite Crisis Leaves Beta

That's really super, Superdog.

“Bif! Bam! Kapow!” every article about comics is apparently required to begin. Sorted. Moving on, the merry gang of Infinite Crisis are now pushing lanes and ganking carries in earnest as the free-to-play DC Comics MOBA has graduated from open beta to properly released. This brings it to Steam too, for starters. Also it’s added Krypto, the Superdog. The Superdog. Superdog.

Infinite Crisis, to briefly recap, is a Dote ’em up inspired by League of Legends. It brings together DC heroes and villains from across the multiverse, with some characters appearing in several different forms. Batman, for example, comes as Gaslight Batman from a high-tech Victorian era, the vampiric Nightmare Batman, and plain old Batchap.

It’s free-to-play under the usual MOBA model: six characters are free for everyone to play, with a lineup that rotates weekly, but having anyone permanently will cost you. You can buy fancy skins for your punchmen too.

If you’ve been playing for a while, you might be interested in the patch notes for version 1.0.

You can still download it without Steam, though they’re trying to lure people on Valve’s platform with big discounts on bundles of characters.

We’ve had Brendan squeeze into spandex to play Infinite Crisis so he can tell you, dear reader, Wot He Thinks of it. I believe that’s coming as soon as he deals with the chafing. There’s no good reason for the spandex, mind, I just like seeing what unreasonable demands I can get away with.

Hey, have you seen that page with the Adam West Batman show’s dozens of zany onomatopoeia for twatting blokes? Boff! Bang-eth! Glipp! Pam!

1. Universal Hamster says:

Sounds Super, Bat I’m not sure, I Wonder if I should give it a go.

• rexx.sabotage says:

It’s just another Flash in the pan for those MOBA Jokers.

• Jalan says:

It’s the Bane of their existence, as they know they’ll be playing it well until Doomsday.

• NailBombed says:

No need to sound so Two-Faced about it.

• Blackcompany says:

Riddle me this: Did we really need another MOBA?

• MacTheGeek says:

The F2P model just keeps Robin the whales of their cash.

2. Urthman says:

I keep forgetting how much I hate all the Nu52 costume redesigns.

3. Thirdrail says:

I really wanted to like Infinite Crisis, but it has some major issues. I finally just uninstalled it a couple of days ago. It’s very clunky and unpolished. The maps are incredibly boring, and worse, incredibly small. You’ll never win a Infinite Crisis game through tactics, rather than raw battle. (I’ve seen many a LoL team win the match with half as many kills the losing team, and I consider that to be one of LoL’s greatest gameplay strengths, if not its greatest.) But the worst part is that the DC license is so squandered. They fill the game with all these weirdo also-rans from hardcore DC fandom, like Gaslight Batman and Mecha Superman, and even more obscure characters. You play Marvel’s PvE moba, Marvel Heroes, and there’s at least a nostalgia factor, being surrounded by all these venerable and beloved icons of the super hero world, but in Infinite Crisis, you spend two thirds of the time in matches with a bunch of unrecognizable DC universe extras, so there’s very rarely that “wow it’s DC COMICS!!” feeling.

Also, can I just say, as an aside, every time Flash jogs by going the exact same speed as every other character in the game, a part of my soul dies. WHY EVEN PUT HIM IN IF HE’S NOT GOING TO BE… you know what, never mind, I’m not even going to get started. Let’s just say, I don’t think I’m going to regret that uninstall any time soon.

• Lucid says:

Marvel Heroes is not a moba in any sense of the word.

It’s an ARPG like Diablo.

• Kamalen says:

It could be an FPS, that’s not the point.

• Philomelle says:

His point is a mess though. It basically says less famous characters and incarnations of characters have less of a right to appear in a video game than more heavily marketed ones, which is nonsense.

There’s also the thing where Marvel Heroes does make all these “also-rans” available as costumes, some of them regular ones and some with custom animations and voiceovers that cost 15 dollars a pop. Except they kind of don’t have the same care as making an actual character, since Toxin wouldn’t have the same dialogue lines as Venom while Superior Spider-Man relies more on brute force and gadgets than web-swinging. That in turn makes the game feel pretty meh for a semi-hardcore Marvel fan, since a lot of characters don’t behave as they normally would.

• Bluestormzion says:

Not only is his point a mess… it’s not all that accurate, for many points.

Sure, Crime Alley (A 1v1 or 2v2 map) is small. It’s supposed to be, it’s a 2man team map. Gotham Heights is smaller than a traditional 3-lane, but it’s not intended to be a 3-lane tower based map. It’s got capture points and is a battle of attrition, ticking down the enemy team’s score by holding more of the 5 capturable points at once, or also the sometimes-unlocked central point. Coast City is a two lane with a bigger central jungle for 2 junglers each. Fine, that’s all valid. Those are not as big as a traditional 3 lane map. But Gotham Divided IS a traditional 3 lane map. The game offers the big map, if that’s what he wants. But you’re not confined there.

He says you’ll never win a game with tactics. Not correct. I’ve won games with tactics. Hell, I lost a game to tactics last night. We had nearly twice the enemy team’s kills on a Coast City match, but we got absolutely butt pounded by the Doomsday Device (a map specific objective that is important enough to bring whole teams but not so important that it’s an auto-win,) and the few survivors were picked off by a seriously skilled Joker player. Then, while we all waited for respawns, they pushed the bottom lane and won. Used our own overconfidence in a team fight combined with Wonder Woman’s taunt-ultimate to get us all shot with an orbital ion cannon. Can’t vouch for the people he’s played with, but my matches have people running the gamut from miserable idiot LoL rejects from hell, all the way up to super talented Mega-Meta-Korean professionals with impeccable English and a pleasant demeanor to teammates and opponents.

He complains about the heroes from the Gaslight, Mecha, Atomic, Nightmare, and Arcane universes, saying that because of these guys the DC license is Squandered. Fun Fact: Yeah, you get Mecha Superman and Nightmare Superman… and you also get regular classic Superman. Atomic Joker is there, as is Gaslight Joker. So is Regular Clown-Prince of Crime Joker we all know and love. All the classic heroes are in. Batman, Catwoman, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman. No Martian Manhunter yet, but he’s coming. They throw in equal amounts of well known favorites and also alternate universe guys. Also, Infinite Crisis is apparently based off of the comic book series of the same title, which apparently dealt with all of these universes. So it’s not squandering a license, it’s using a license well in the context of a specific point in the comics’ history while also allowing for variation and using heroes that at that point in continuity were dead/retconned/stupid-ass-supergirl.

Dude’s welcome to his opinion, and God knows MOBAs are a hotbed of opinions. But the game’s not objectively bad, by any stretch of the imagination.

• Jalan says:

Gotham by Gaslight is easily a classic Batman one-shot with fantastic artwork by Mike Mignola, so writing off its character(s) as “also-ran” is doing it some serious injustice (pun not intentional). I’m not going to defend the game for going overboard with its inclusion of the Nightmare, Arcane, Mecha and Atomic earths however.

I’m glad you didn’t try to bust stones over Krypto though. Any dog that’s willing to sacrifice its life to protect its owner’s is exempt from ridicule, even if it did eventually go on to star in its own kids cartoon (which wasn’t even that bad, cards on the table).

• Kitsunin says:

The funny thing is, you probably could design a hero who could be, y’know, the flash, and make it work. But the only game which would actually attempt such a design would be Heroes of the Storm.

• Moraven says:

Yep. Abathur, Murky, Lost Vikings. They are willing to try something outside the box.

Now I want a flash like moving character in the game.

• Apologised says:

I dunno, I could see DOTA doing it. Hell, Spirit Breaker’s moves would work pretty well as is, although I’d probably replace his ult with something like Lycans.

As for Heroes of the Storm, that has some nice heroes, but it also has it’s own crosses to bear right now. Principle amongst them being that you need 5 players to win, but it only takes 1 to lose.

4. April March says:

I think the proper way to write the title should be “Zap! Pow! Bang! Comics aren’t just for kids any more!”