You Make Your Big Move: F1 2015 Talks Up New Handling

Codemasters announced this year’s Formula 1 game alongside last year’s, which looked a bit like a ‘Well, we aren’t quite ready for next-gen systems yet so how about if we just release next year’s early once we figure that out?’ gesture. With a June release scheduled, they’re now showing a few screenshots and talking about what’s new to F1 2015 [official site] other than flashier graphics.

Handling, mostly. The big ‘ooh let’s start talking about this’ blog post goes on about car handling a lot, which is probably important for a game essentially all about handling.

Rather than recap it myself filtered through my lack of carfacts, here, I’ll just bosh you a chunk of text from game director Paul Jeal and you can take it with as large a pinch of salt as you fancy.

“The handling is a vast improvement from our previous games. In particular our new tyre model is a superb step forward towards realism, letting you explore where the limit is and allowing you to instantly feel much more connected with the car. You can now experience the changes in grip caused by temperature changes, wear, car set-up, debris and weather conditions.

“Our improved vehicle dynamics much more accurately convey the difference in performance and the feel between mechanical and aerodynamic grip. The new Force Feedback system adds to the feeling of connection with the car and track surface. The more natural and realistic nature of the game physics also serves to ensure that the racing experience is more accessible, enjoyable and rewarding for players of all skill levels.”

The blog post has a fair bit more on things that . Also it has pictures. Pictures of shiny cars.

Codemasters usually release their F1 games in September or October, towards the end of the Formula 1 season (which runs March to November). It’s been an odd decision. I wonder whether they’ll stick to this next-gen-induced release date bump in future. Anyway, nyooom:

Zoom zoom.

1. Faldrath says:

Actually I think their idea was to release the game much closer to the start of the real F1 season (which would have been around now), but I guess something came up and they had to settle for June. It had always been a complaint that the games were released when the season was almost over.

• CptPlanet says:

You are right, I think their original date was spring (when they first announced the next gen F1). Apparently they had more work to do than they thought.

2. SlimShanks says:

It isn’t a realistic F1 experience until you make slight contact with another driver in a way that doesn’t affect the race at all, and then have to spend an hour arguing with them after the race about who had right of way, and then argue for another hour with the officials about whether that contact should disqualify you from the race.

• LacSlyer says:

I think you’re confusing F1 for NASCAR…

• SlimShanks says:

Erm… as offensive as it is to suggest that I watch Nascar, I do happen to know that contact in said motorsport is extremely common and not likely to illicit much concern. In F1 however, drivers are often seen arguing with each other over every possible thing, ESPECIALLY contact during a race. So… no.

• LacSlyer says:

Not sure what races you’re watching, but I’ve been watching F1 for over 10 years and have rarely missed a race. Yet I can only recall a handful of times where there was actually an incident leading to significant discussion over it. And only twice where drivers were reprimanded for causing accidents. In fact, in F1 the majority of drivers who aren’t friends completely ignore each other outside of their teams. Meanwhile NASCAR has a nearly weekly WWE style of “discussion” between drivers after races. So I’m curious what you’re basing this on.

• pennywyz says:

Well apparently neither of us are watching the same F1 as you… There have always been investigations regarding in-race incidents. I couldn’t tell you off the top of my head how many result in a mandatory pit or other penalty but it probably isn’t only two over the past 10 years you have been watching.

Apparently there have been enough issues for teams to complain about over-investigation last year:
            link to autosport.com

The difference between in-race incidents in F1 and NASCAR, in my opinion, is that the former are much less likely to affect the final outcome of the race significantly given the typically massive gaps between cars. NASCAR on the other hand frequently has many cars on the lead lap at the end, with cautions/restarts bunching things up even more. An incident under those circumstances can mean the difference between 1st place and 30th place.

• SlimShanks says:

I was just trying to make a joke about the fact that F1 driver’s tend to be drama queens.

3. Person of Interest says:

It looks like Codemasters’ F1 series is going to lap their year-and-a-half late DiRT 3 GFWL-to-Steamworks patch, again.

4. ThatFuzzyTiger says:

To say nothing of Grid Autosports godawful AI. Codemasters, be less terrible.

• mattlambertson says:

What? I found the AI to be far more engaging and entertaining than similar games like Forza 5…and I say this as a lifelong race fan as well as an iRacing alumnus (never subscribe if you value your soul or bank account or financial future)…

• ThatFuzzyTiger says:

No, it was terrible, so terrible that it fell apart like imitation lego on open wheel and had XML scripting that rubberbanded it based on difficulty settings. Digging around inside the XML opened up so many cans of worms about the supposed “AI” it wasn’t even funny. Suffice to say the opponents on Grid Autosport drove more or less in complete ignorance of the player, and would stick to their lines, speeding up or slowing down relative to the players performance. That was it.

The original GRID was a very different story. But that’s when Codemasters gave a damn about their product. These are not those days. These are the days when they release Grid Autosports and claim there’s two in car “cockpit” views only to show that the in car mode is actually a horribly blurry mess with a non functional in car display which is effectively a mod-hack from GRID 2.

When “The Crew” does a better job of rendering in car graphics than Grid Autosports, something has gone very, very wrong.

• SlimShanks says:

Interestingly, I also found the A.I. in Grid Autosport to be much better than what I have come to expect from Forza, GTR, NFS Shift, etc. Especially in terms of responsiveness. Playing Autosport was the first time I have ever had an A.I. drive off of the fastest line for the express purpose of blocking me. I was shocked. They drafted me hard, we got fender to fender fighting for the inside of the corner, and they actually stayed more or less in packs, which is obviously not something we get to experience very often outside of multiplayer. Too bad I have bizarre stuttering issues with that game… I really liked it.
        Anyways, am I missing something here in terms of how A.I. is supposed to work?

• ThatFuzzyTiger says:

This sits in their XML files for their AI, and it’s telling :

difficultyGainPer100Meters1.0 // Every 100 meters you are ahead of a given car, their effective difficulty scales up a notch
        difficultyLossPer100Meters0.3 // Every 100 meters behind a car you are, difficulty scales back 0.3 of a notch

along with :

powerAtMinDistance0.8 // seems like the ai or player has 80% power at 200 meters
        powerAtMaxDistance0.3 // 30% at 500 meters

Engine power modification based on distance in short, the further behind you are, the more the game hinders the computer to help you out, the reverse is true, it will give the AI a strict power advantage if required to help catch up.

Nice eh?

• kevmscotland says:

AKA Rubbrbanding (Rubber Band AI), which has been in racing games since the dawn of time.

Its not an ideal AI solution by any means but a common one used. GRID has never been a racing ‘simulation’ but more about a racing experience which it pulls off reasonably well. Its not my cup of tea personally but you can’t really blame it for being what it is.

• ThatFuzzyTiger says:

Don’t buy it. GRID, the original, made a far more convincing case, even if it did rubber band to an extent, it also allowed the AI to -make mistakes-. You’d see wipeouts, you’d see the AI screw up ahead of you, you’d see more human-like decisions made. GRID 2 and GRID Autosport were distinct steps *backwards*.

• SlimShanks says:

I honestly think that all that rubberbanding stuff is turned off if you are playing on hard. AI lap times were very consistent regardless of where I was in the race, and if there was rubberbanding for the guys ahead of me, who were driving the exact same car as me, then I should have caught up to them eventually. Also, the AI definitely makes mistakes in Autosport.
            Perhaps you played a really early version of the game before all the patches came out?

5. kevmscotland says:

They’ve said the handling model has improved each year for atleast the last 3 years and its always been complete bollox.

I don’t expect any different from this one.