System Shock 2, To The Moon & More In Bargain Bundle

People ask me, “Alice, will you post about any sale which has System Shock 2 cheap?” And I reply, “Well, yeah, obvs. Have you played it yet? It’s fine if you haven’t. You might want to play it. Even our John didn’t play it until 2013, you know.”

Hey, look, the latest Bundle Stars dealio has SS2 and seven other games including To The Moon, Magicka, and S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky as Steam keys for – good grief! – £1.59. That price will go up later today, but it’ll still be a redonc-u-bargain. It’s already sold out of keys once.

The full list of games in the All Stars Bundle is: Deponia; Magicka; Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword; Prime World: Defenders; S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky; System Shock 2; Tropico 4. “All stars” seems a mite hyperbolic for some of those, but heck, you can’t say they don’t make a solid bundle.

I’ve probably gone on about System Shock 2 enough (it’s really great!), so to shake things up… have you played Clear Sky yet? It’s the forgotten, underappreciated member of the series, sandwiched between two monsters. Sure, it might have felt a bit of a let-down after Shadow of Chernobyl and it made Call of Pripyat seem even better, but calling something “not the best S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game” is like saying an album’s “not the best [band/recording artist you really like and think will go down as classics idk what the heck you listen to] album.”

The price will go up by around £1 shortly after noon but gosh, that’s still a fine bargain that might almost make you feel guilty for paying so little. I would’ve posted this sooner but Bundle Stars had sold out of Steam keys, and I wasn’t sure whether they’d restock.

1. tylerryan79 says:

Thanks for the post! I bought this mainly for Clear Sky. I just recently bought CoP on a steam sale and have been waiting to get the others.

As a side note, this is my first ever bundle purchase at the ripe old age of 30. Most likely not the last. Since Ive joined the times and made a paypal account this year my gaming purchases have reached a new level of ridiculousness. Overall Im saving money on buying all these games digital or on ebay over my old habit of purchasing them at local retail stores. I tell myself atleast. A few local buisnesses maybe shutting their doors for good with the lost income from my habit!

distantlurker says:

Wow!

This has to be bargain of the year, surely?

Tnx Alice, nice spot. +1 ^^

Risingson says:

That is not System Shock, that is System Shock 2. The dissapointing sequel to an outstanding game :)

Harlander says:

System Shock 2, disappointing? What did you hope to get that you didn’t?

• Kaeoschassis says:

Well, there’s… the ending? I suppose? But it’s not as if the ending to the first one was especially brilliant or anything. That’s about all I can come up with.

Honestly, I love the first one to bits. Still play it, even, but I really can’t see the logic in calling SS2 a disappointment. I CERTAINLY don’t think it deserves a passive-aggressive smiley, truly the most shocking of all internet slurs.

Risingson says:

It does, because it was one of the biggest dissapointments I got. The first one was all mood and exploration, and then the second one is just shock value.

Nah, it is just that the first one was a mix of many things and gameplays, and the second is just a first person game with survival horror elements. Which is not a bad thing but I thought it was very dumbed down. There was a sense of routine in the exploration, running and killing, a sense of boredom, that cannot belong to a good game. And the music was also worse, btw.

I retried it last year to see if it was better now than when it was released, and it wasn’t.

• ResonanceCascade says:

” the second is just a first person game with survival horror elements.”

Uh…what? The first System Shock didn’t have any of the RPG systems that are in the second one. You had cybernetic implants and that was it. System Shock 1 is a masterclass in environmental simulation, but it is not more complex than SS2.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Right, SS2 is probably more complex overall. There are a few things the implants from SS1 could do that you don’t have access to in SS2, but look at things like the ridiculous number of psi powers (some of which were much more than just a “magic gun” ), the OS Upgrades, etc. And boring? It has similar respawning enemies (and players), only now you have degrading weapons to worry about, similar types of objectives across a similar multi-floor setup, honestly it plays pretty similarly once you get past the different (better, if just barely) interface.

Having said that, there are two things I DO miss from SS1 – the cyberspace sections, and the option of a time-limit, though I suspect I’m in the minority on both counts.

4. Winged Nazgul says:

Already had half the games in the bundle but still bought it anyways because of the value.

5. libdab says:

Thanks for the heads up – I had S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky on my ‘to buy’ list.

6. simontifik says:

Tried to buy it but it’s late Friday here and wine and scotch. My browser won’t except cookies. Ah well video games, keep up the good work RPS.

7. Darth Gangrel says:

GoG’s weekend promo also has System Shock 2 along with many other fine games.

• Brtt says:

Be careful when you talk about GOG on RPS.
      These guys (more so the staff) love their shackles, and they might bite when people mention DRM-free games…

Suffering for the greater good is fine, but for the sake of the uneducated, always be sure to provide a link.
      Like so: link to gog.com

8. April March says:

That’s the best bundle of games I already have.

9. alms says:

Just a shameless plug to remind everyone that on RPS forums< we follow everything bundle since 20</strike1911.

A comprehensive, up-to-date list of active deals in the first three posts and daily updates by yours truly.

Come join us!

10. bill says:

I missed the 1.59 price, since I only just read this news.

Shame, I’d have paid 1.59 for a steam copy of SS2. But I own To the Moon and I’m not super interested in any of the others, so the new (highly expensive) price of $2.99 is too much.