Build Shoot Loot Build: Captain Forever Remix Released

Scavenging my zapped foes’ ships for parts to snap onto my own hulking monstrosity was a lark in Captain Forever, and I like the look of Captain Forever Remix [official site] even more. Not just for that new gorgeous cartoony art style.

The licensed “remix” of the ship-building shoot ’em up launched onto Steam Early Access yesterday, and I’ll have to pick it up because I can’t shake the feeling it might be the arcade roguelikelike to help stop The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth dominating my thoughts.

Captain Forever, if you missed the original game created by Farbs, is a fine arcade shooter about blasting randomly-generated ships to bits and stealing those bits to build your own ship. You can redesign it in real time whenever you fancy, dragging and snapping bulkheads, engines, and weapons around to create big tanky things, fast frigates, and gargantuan balls of bulkheads and guns crawling slowly through space. Trying to carefully disable and destroy key parts of ships so you can salvage the rest, then hastily snapping them off before new enemies appear, is a right lark.

Along with that new art style and a merry story, the remix adds a dash of persistent progression through ‘kits’ to unlock and upgrade. Kits like close range, melee, sniper, torpedo, and beam give you different parts for your starting ship, and affect the sort of drops you’ll receive.

Why’s it on Early Access? Developers Pixelsaurus Games say the game’s pretty far along but they want to gather feedback and tweak while they polish up. They expect to properly release it after about three months.

Captain Forever Remix is £9.34 until Friday, then it’ll go up to £10.99, and the price will rise again when it leaves Early Access.

Hey, check out this nine-minute gameplay trailer if you wanna see more.

1. SlimShanks says:

Heh, Captain Butthead. Genius. I love spiders.

2. dontnormally says:

Not released. Early access has begun.

• Richard Nixon says:

Yeah, I came here to say this. C’mon RPS, you’re smart enough to make the distinction and it matters to some of us.

Anyway, Reassembly is basically this except actually out and without any characters or story or whatever. Plus the ship design interface is sick nasty good.

3. Monggerel says:

Je combats l’universelle araignée.

And so it was and will be and a shrill wind cackles above the barren plains. Ho-ded-dum.

4. Jakkar says:

What a mess… It seems so much less interesting looking without the subtle creepiness/recursive implications of the original minimalistic browser game.

link to captainforever.com

That stuff’s creepy.

Designation: Nemesis.

Captain: Forever.

Attention, Survivor. An explosion of unknown origin.

The way they beg for their lives or figuratively spit in your face before you finish the command module. The way your own reflected face flashes back at you when something sparks or explodes. Magical game.

• Kitsunin says:

Wow, what an unnecessarily negative opinion.

The 90’s cartoon vibe is pretty fitting — more fitting, I’d say. Pretending to stick bits together to make a spaceship feels like something you’d do as a kid, which gives it a certain nostalgic value. The less depressing theme also makes it feel truly joyous at times, which the original’s style practically did everything it could to dampen (if it felt as tactile as Remix does, that would have damaged the theme). That’s not to say I disliked the style of the original, it was very thematic, and definitely drew you in, but its darkness was also completely unnecessary given the actual gameplay.

• Geebs says:

Well, it does look as though the AI barks in the “remix” will get old within about 5 minutes. I must give the web version a try…

• BooleanBob says:

Unnecessarily negative? Why do you get to be the judge of that?

Not that I even agree. Jakkar’s comment is at least half overwhelmingly positive, contrasting their distaste for the new aesthetic with what they liked so much in the old.

Yes, you there are elements in the game that might appeal to kids, the ship construction etc, but you’re taking components and that required destroying the ship/effort/livelihood of other pilots. In a Castle Doctrine-sort of a way there’s a very real, not child-friendly message in the mechanics about consequence and right – something that stuck with me in this game in a way it doesn’t in a million conflict-centric others. It was probably the aesthetic that helped to communicate that.

On the other hand, Pixelsauruses gotta eat too, you know? If this was the change they had to make for the game to sell, I don’t begrudge them that.

• Kitsunin says:

“What a mess…”
          “This is an obnoxious cartoon full of visual and textual textual jokes that wouldn’t have been funny in a 1996 Nickelodeon cartoon, but at least would have seemed less out-of-place.”

Those two statements are practically designed to irritate anyone who disagrees. I define something as “unnecessarily negative” once that negativity reaches a point of offending those who disagree, rather than surviving as an opinion.

And yes, I agree with all that you are saying, but I think the Captain Forever mechanics work in the dystopic manner of the original: Kill to steal to survive/kill better. With a design and enemy quips which fit a somewhat depressing, tone-setting vibe. But they also fit the concept of a bunch of kids pretending to be space heroes and villains, flying around with fake ships whose parts are constantly being rearranged (why we see the same people in different ships, time and time again, I figure), with a more tactile, fun for the sake of fun design.

• Jakkar says:

If you take the word ‘irritate’ at its most basic value and equate it, in this context, to provoke, you’ll have my complete agreement that my writing style in an opening comment is designed to do that.

Mild opinions barely feel worth the effort of writing. If I feel something strongly, I’ll write it in kind, and see what pops up when the pot is stirred. It leads to far more enlightening discussions for all involved, in the best of cases, at least =)

In terms of appeal to younger gamers… Well, honestly, I grew up in the early nineties, born in the late eighties, feeding on a mixture of the really dark-as-hell cartoons of that period (Skeleton Warriors, Mighty Max, Pirates of Dark Water), all of which involved a heavy Robert E. Howard/H. P. Lovecraft influence mixed with bits of the films of Carpenter and Cameron. Everything I watched and all the toys I played with were packed with intelligent machines, mutants, cyborgs, zombies, demons, and permutations of the above, without many clear heroes, a lot of moral ambiguity. I had a taste for the complicated from very early on.

Childish characters being childish was never something I found appealing as a child, nor did anyone I knew at the time. We liked megadark, deep, complex, messed up, disturbing things. Either this is the true nature of childhood, or children in Wales are just … different >.>

This looks like an idiot’s idea of what children want, and a failed attempt at comedy.

… to my tastes.

• Jakkar says:

Well said, BooleanBob. Thanks for clarifying a few of my points, you nailed it.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Shrug.

I love the original too. A whole lot. Doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be allowed to try a different style. If they’d totally altered the core gameplay, maybe I’d be a little more upset, but it makes me pleased when folks try different visual styles.
      And after all, you can still play the original. Heck, you can still play it for -free-.

• Jakkar says:

Aye, I can and I will… I was just a little excited to see it getting some fresh attention, and this trailer was a splash of cold water in the face of my interest, if you take my meaning.

Speaking as someone who finds Adventure Time an absolutely joyous thing to watch, who can sit cackling at Invader Zim all evening, and will spend hours rewatching classic Transformers or Skeleton Warriors or Mighty Max cartoons – and not just for the nostalgia, I find this art, writing style and form of ‘comedy’ to fall flat on its face in the first few seconds and never manage to get up.

The trailer does seem to have gone for the hardcore a bit more, in terms of swapping out gameplay, though that’s likely just an unrepresentative trailer. The gameplay couldn’t even work if it played like it looks.

5. kaloth says:

I’m so sorry. I know that’s supposed to be a spider with fangs in the header image, but it just looks like two hairy balls coming out of some guys mouth, with fangs poking through the skin from inside.

What the fuck is wrong with my imagination?

• Napalm Sushi says:

Not a lot, considering that’s basically what the tiny limbs protruding from either side of male spiders’ mouths are.

Arthropods: evolution’s reminder of just how unidentifiably bizarre aliens are actually likely to be.

6. SomeDuder says: