Dark Souls II: Scholar Of The First Sin Prices And Upgrades

Dark Souls II [official site] being upgraded with fancier DirectX 11-y graphics, reworked enemy and item placement, a few new items, and whatnot sounded great. Then it became clear that the ‘Scholar of the First Sin’ edition won’t come as an update but as a separate version of the game, and one folks will need to pay for, which sounds less great. At least it’ll offer discounts to upgrade.

Upgrading from plain old Dark Souls II to the new version will cost you $20 (£13.50-ish, though we’ll see how generous regional pricing is) if you own already all the DLC or $30 (£20) if you don’t, publishers Bandai Namco announced yesterday as the launch rapidly nears.

The old DirectX 9 version and shiny new DX11 one will be entirely separate, with separate Steam library entries, incompatible saves, and no multiplayer between the two.

“The difference … pertaining to where enemies spawn, items are located, and other environmental differences will not allow players running newer hardware versions to connect and interact with players experiencing the game on older hardware …” Bamco explained.

As someone who skipped over Dark Souls II when it came out (I was a bit Soulsed-out after streaming the first with a weirdly calm persona and late-night radio vibe), my path in is clear. Buying the DX11 version fresh by itself will cost $50 (about £30, though who knows with Steam prices?). They’ll also sell an DX9 version with the DLC but without the changes (so a ‘game of the year’ edition sort of dealio) for $10 cheaper. But for folks who did play and enjoy Dark Souls II and want to see more of it, better than ever, it’s a bit of a bummer.

Scholar of the First Sin is due on April 1st and no, they’re not ‘avin’ a laugh.

1. SMGreer says:

At least there’s some discount, I’ll take that. I’d rather have Bloodborne but hey, universe doesn’t run on wishes.

• mechabuddha says:

Agreed. I’m not *happy* I have to pay $20, but it’s definitely better than $60. But I think I’d rather pay $60 for Bloodborne on the PC>

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Maybe, just maybe, it will come true?: link to kdramastars.com

• XhomeB says:

Won’t happen. Period. Bloodborne is owned by Sony, unfortunately. Amazon France once listed Killzone:Shadow Fall as a Win7/8 title as well, so it’s not a reliable source of “leaks” at all.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Well, let’s see the bright side, it’s not as completely hopeless as if it was a Nintendo exclusive. With Sony we still have a 0,82% release possibility.

• jonahcutter says:

I could see Bloodborne come to PC at some point. Though if I were to wager, it would be a good way down the line. Well after Sony has judged it’s no longer driving sales of the platform itself. I doubt it’s a sure thing, but if PS4 Bloodborne sales were to taper off enough, Sony may relax their grip to allow From to capitalize on what everyone knows is a sizable PC market. From Software obviously has a PC pipeline they could feed the game through already in place.

In the meantime, with all the Bloodborne hype they know their PC fans are jonesing for more of this experience so they soak them again with a re-release of DS2. Shift some spawns around, bundle the DLC for convenience, and provide a graphics upgrade that probably could of been in the initial release (and may well have been kept back for this very reason).

If something like this was their business plan all along, they may be ‘avin’ a laugh. All the way to the bank.

• drewski says:

I’ll expect it on PC a year or so after The Last of Us, and a couple of years after the Uncharted series trilogy gets released on PC.

• czerro says:

I don’t expect it will come to PC. Exclusivity rights are purchased to enhance the value of a system. Simply because the product is no longer driving sales, allowing that software to be released on other systems devalues the system and the entire point of exclusivity.

So, it doesn’t really matter if Bloodborne sales totally flatline on the PS4, allowing it to be released on other platforms both devalues the system and the concept of exclusivity. Consoles don’t move without exclusives. That’s what drives and decides the market mostly. I would say the chances of Bloodborne coming to PC are nil…unless FROM negotiated a limited exclusivity agreement with Sony. If that’s the case we would see Bloodborne PC ~3 years from now. Is there a market for it at that point? That would be up to FROM to decide, and probably only makes sense if there is a non-exclusive Bloodborne sequel.

• CynicalFelidae says:

For ideas when Bloodbourne will come to PC, we need look no further than Demon’s Souls.
            That’s been out how long, and only available on the console, despite Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 showing how many potential PC customers there are. No. If Demon’s Souls is any indication, it’ll be a cold day in hell before Bloodbourne ever graces a PC.

I, for one, would be overjoyed to pick up Demon’s Souls on pc. I haven’t played it, nor do I ever expect to, as I refuse to pick up a console just to play one or two games. I did that for Halo. Never again.

• Moraven says:

Then get a Used PS3 for cheap and pick up the many great non PC games on it that you can get for less than $20.

3D Dot Game Heroes, Gust RPGs (if needing some more JRPG), Ico & SHadows of the Colossus Collection, God of War, Infamous, GT, Disgaea, Old PS2/PSOne games in digital format, Kingdom Hearts 1.5 and 2.5. Persona 4 & 5 (future), Rachet & Clank, Tales of, Tokyo Jungle, Uncharted, White Knight Chronicles 2.

I bet you can find most used for less than $20 easy.

• CynicalFelidae says:

@Moraven

That sounds crazy enough that it just might work.

Seriously though, never thought of it… huh. I’m glad we have you around Moraven, Helps counteract all my derp.

• fish99 says:

The game exists to sell PS4s. Funded by Sony, published by Sony, part developed by Sony and owned by Sony. No chance.

• Darth Grabass says:

kdramastars is quite possibly the least reliable site on the internet. They just make stuff up out of nothing.

2. Volcanu says:

I wonder how active multiplayer will be. Splitting the community between two versions could be problematic- and the upgrade price is pretty steep.

• CarbonCopy says:

I actually find the upgrade price to be very fair. I bought the original game when it came out and haven’t played the DLC yet. Now if I want to play it It’ll be 30$ instead of 25$ but I also get new enemy placements and better graphics. I find it very fair. Maybe the price for those that already own the DLC is a bit too much (maybe it should’ve been 10$ or 15$) but for me, it’s a very good deal.

• Volcanu says:

Yeah I suppose if you don’t have the DLC you’re right, it’s not too bad. I was referring more to the price for people who HAVE bought it all. It seems a lot and my fear is that will put people off and lead to the community being split across two versions. Personally I played through DS2 and all the DLC on Xbox so when I do choose to dip back in on PC I’ ll plump for the DX11 version. I just hope the servers don’t feel desolate

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

I agree, but only in your specific scenario, those who got the DLC have a far worse deal in comparison. I’d still bite, but i’m holding off due to all the talks about extra monsters and no change in durability. Thank god i still have my gynormous backlog!

• Rizlar says:

And continuing to sell the DX9 version separately is a bit bizarre!

Clearly it’s all very console-oriented, like the idea of playing on ‘older hardware’ vs. ‘newer hardware’. If this was a PC game it would seem like free patch material, released alongside a goaty edition or something, though I’m glad to see these games making it onto PC at all.

3. Scrote says:

I was going to uninstall DS II, having just grown bored of it about – I’m guessing – 9/10ths through the game. It’s not bad by any means, it’s just becoming tedious. Based on this news however, I’ll uninstall it right now to avoid any temptation!

4. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

I’m assuming that £20 one for peeps without the DLC gives you the DLC then? If so that’s not too bad, same price as the Season Pass anyway plus all the fancy gubbins. Read somewhere this week, I think on that DS2 article on last week’s Sunday Papers, that the whole reworking enemy placement etc does point to the fact this isn’t the same intricately constructed masterpiece Demon and Darks Souls were before it. Worse than showing they weren’t happy with the placement in the original release it seems they’ve missed the point of what makes it good – the game is challenging, not hard. Adding extra enemies or making them pursue you further through a level if you run away stops it being a trial of you learned skills and your ability to think on your feet and more of a grind fest. Hope I’m wrong, probably going to get this if it does bundle all the DLC in too. It ain’t Dark Souls but it’s still an incredible game.

• mashkeyboardgetusername says:

Yeah. I’d been holding off getting the DLC as there had been murmerings of a GOTY type edition. If the prices do work out like that (depending of how Steam feels like doing its regional pricing this week) I’ll probably nab it.

5. aliksy says:

Yeah, no. Incompatible saves and a high price point? Split multiplayer community? No thanks. Maybe I’ll pick it up in a few years when I’ve forgotten about DS2 an it’s on sale.

• Blackcompany says:

This was my sentiment as well. I…dont like this. I also dont like that so many gamers are going for it. Before you know it, we’ll be drowning in $20 “high definition/fidelity/texture/detailed lighting” versions of previously purchased games.

For those who do not own the DLC, perhaps this is a good all round bargain. But for those who have purchased everything but the graphical upgrade, that much should be free. Or perhaps it is and its just the different spawns and enemies that they are charging for? Admittedly, this confuses me terribly, which alone is enough to put me off buying it.

6. melnificent says:

The bad practice of releasing patches for costs comes to PC. Console players call them remastered editions.

• klo3 says:

Can you give an example of that?

In the console world remasters/HD versions usually means classic games brought to new hardware with some improvements. For example, one of the decisions to get a PS3 was because a remaster of Oni and Shadow of Colossus was confirmed. Never having owned an PS2 I felt that 30€ for two classic titles was great deal.

Other examples of remasters include such great games (some of which I played/plan to play on the PC, but anyway) as:
      Beyond Good and Evil (PS2 > PS3)
      Psychonauts (PS2 > PS3)
      Okami (PS2 > PS3)
      The Last of Us (PS3 > PS4)
      GTA IV (PS3 > PS4)

I just bought the PS4 for Bloodborne but the fact that there is a remaster of TLoU definitely helped the decision to get a new console since I never played said game on the PS3.

I believe console remasters are a great thing, however Sony was said to be cautious about the practice. Cannot find the source since it was and CVG article, which is no more…

7. XhomeB says:

I still have an unopened copy of DS2, haven’t had the time to play it yet. Now I’m beginning to wonder… Should I even bother opening it, maybe sell it and get the upgraded version? The discount sounds OKish, but still too much if you ask me…
    I’m hearing it’s the worst of the three Souls games anyway. Hm.

• CarbonCopy says:

It is the worse of the three, but it is not a bad game by any means. The Souls series puts an extremely high standard and I still enjoyed DS2 ALOT. IMO the big problem with it is that it lacks much of the personality that DkS and DeS had (I assume that it is because of the lack of Myiazaki’s involvement, and I believe that Bloodborne has plenty of that) but it is still very fun. The combat is actually improved IMO. If you haven’t played them, I urge you to play the original Dark Souls, which is for me a 10/10 game. Everything about it just works so well together. So if you want to play Dark Souls 2, you can and it’s a great game. I think you should sell it and buy the new version since it has better graphics, improved enemy placements (so they say) and all of the DLC, which is supposed to add alot to the story. But overall, I think you should just play the original.

• Blackcompany says:

I hate to be contrary about the first Dark Souls, but…10/10 game?

It was locked at 720p. With terrible, muddy textures. The frame rates in Blighttown were borderline unplayable. And if you tried to unlock the 30fps frame rate or use the same tool to increase resolution beyond 720p, the game all but froze at the first hint of either particle effects or dragon fire. To say nothing of the (admittedly very occasional) cheap shots taken at the player in terms of difficulty (Capra, the Ghosts and Anor Londo archers, I’m looking at you) and the way the game sort of goes down hill once one passes Anor Londo.

It says a lot that, despite this, Dark Souls remains a great game. And possibly the finest example of world building ever seen in modern games. Ever. But it has its imperfections, mostly on the mechanical side of the game. And frankly, as much as Dark Souls 2 is lacking in so many other respects, the mechanics and consistency of the game’s rules are two areas in which Dark Souls 2 is a huge improvement to the formula.

cairbre says:

Nickel and diming if I ever saw it.

9. TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Well that’s a nice mess.

10. montorsi says:

Bought DS2 at release, bought each DLC at full price and I’m done. They can go to hell along with those geniuses from Evolve.

Mind you, I’m ok with DLC. Sprung for the $15 DA:I DLC without giving it a second thought. I’ve bought DLC for every major RPG I’ve purchased. That said, I’m not about to pay a hundred bucks in total for this fucking game, no matter how much I loved Dark Souls.

11. fish99 says:

I wanna see how much better it’s gonna look first.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

I’m pretty sure we still can forget the pre release lighting, even if improved. Then again, i hope i’m wrong.

• fish99 says:

I didn’t realize there were already video of the new version, and sadly I’m not seeing much improvement. The PS4 version has the sharper textures from the PC, maybe the bump mapping is a bit nicer, but the lighting looks more or less the same. The overall look is still very flat like there’s no specular lighting, unlike the shiny E3 pre-launch visuals.

12. Spider Jerusalem says:

This rather stupid.

They could do well to take notes on how CDProjekt does business re: enhanced editions.

13. Geebs says:

Well, 400 quid is what it’d cost me to play Bloodborne so I guess a tenner for shinier Souls is OK; and the DLC is actually really good even if Fume Knight can sod right off. These days, I don’t even really play any other videogames…

• fish99 says:

We got Bloodborne + PS4 for £285 this past week and there’s likely to be some comparable deals over the easter weekend (esp the monday).

14. RealWeaponX says:

If you have the Steam Android app when you search for ‘Dark Souls’ or ‘Scholar’ SotFS appears with a price of £29.99. This only seems to happen in the app and not the desktop client, and no page exists if you tap the link.

15. SlimShanks says:

Well, I’m just gonna go ahead and say what everyone else is saying more gently: This is bullshit.
    They mess up the game, and now we have to buy ANOTHER copy to get the “true” experience. Even if the price is reasonable for people who don’t own the DLC, like myself, it’s more the ethics of the thing. Other downsides are, as has been stated: a split player-base, and the fact that the people who DID buy the DLC, aka their most loyal customers, get the worst deal. Not to mention they make themselves look pretty slimy with this level of nickel and diming.
    I hate Bamco.

• Blackcompany says:

Well said. I think I for one am skipping this one. Had about enough of the die-until-you-memorize-it formula anyway, and am not exactly aching to go back and finish the thing now. Especially given how cheap I found the final boss of the game to be when I helped others fight it. Never cared much for proximity based AoE auto damage gimmicks. If you cant make an enemy that has a chance of beating me by fighting me then go back to the drawing board and try again, please.

And as for these gimmicks: As someone else said, this is the sort of thing CDPR would give away. And add to that, splitting the player base in an MP game…hopefully, many gamers feel the same.

• socrate says:

its horrible that even if you buy their product pre-order and buy their dumb season pass that isnt really worth it to support them and show them that you love them for being better at pc they end up just trying to milk you till you have nothing left…not to mention the exclusivity to that dumb playstation that they still do for some dumb stupid reason…im done with trying to help dev that make game i enjoyed…their stupid season pass,dlc,complete edition that have still dlc that come out after they release them and other such nonsense…its so stupid that you end up feeling ripped off after you support them all the time and then see that if you just wait for these complete edition(with actually everything inside,and not the dumb rename just to cash in more)you actually have an actual complete game for the same damn price…they can whine about piracy all they want the way they treat their customer is the true problem nothing else.

16. Synesthesia says:

Well, isn’t that a very nice middle finger to all of us who bought the game and all dlc’s at full price. Fuck them.

• czerro says:

Hrm, well there are about infinite sides to this.

1.) FROM is not very good at porting. Double on making a simple patcheable system.

2.) FROM DID offer DLC cause people wanted it. I understand it looks shady until you think about it, but FROM always sold the game that there would be no DLC…but people enjoyed having the DLC packs from Dark Souls and pushed for FROM to make some packs for the sequels, which caused FROM to 180 shortly before release and put it in ‘We’re thinking about it now’.

3.) Dark Souls II was not released with the bells and whistles and API that development had suggested it was running on. Suggests a botched release for the sake of hardware parity and not enough time to commit to anything that wasn’t simply graphically agnostic to all major platforms.

4.) FROM thinks they can ‘do right’ by the PC consumer and release the game they promised with some tweaks to the gameplay based on their data collection. A better looking game that plays better, or at least, different, from the original release. Awesome.

5.) They then charge half-price for this gesture which would otherwise appear to be an apology. An olive branch to the die-hards.

I hope FROM retracts their stance. The two games are separate entities apparently. Anyone with DS2 and DLC should get the full upgrade. Anyone with DS2 and no DLC should get the discounted upgrade to the new version at the price of A SINGLE standard DS2 DLC. Anyone else should pay the regular price for the new version. This is fair and I don’t see anyone being unduly punished, and it notifies ELO on the old version. There is no way this isn’t messy, but that’s the proper way to handle this.

17. SirShrubberer says:

I’m just waiting for this to become one of the more pirated games out there. I mean, they’re being dicks about the whole thing: they’re charging money to people who bought the game for features that they had advertised pre-release and which should have been released as a free patch (that would not have split the community); they’re splitting the multiplayer community (though I’m not too sure how active multiplayer will be on the new one, especially if people pirate it); and besides all that they’re punishing fans who were dedicated enough to buy all the DLC beforehand by charging them $20 for some updated graphics whereas people who didn’t pay $25 for the DLC are essentially only being charged $5 for the upgrade (assuming they get all the DLC, which I believe they do considering that they are included with the console release).

18. PopeRatzo says:

For the luv a christ, people. The game really isn’t that good.

• fish99 says:

It may not be the equal of Dark Souls but it’s still a fine game in it’s own right.

• killias2 says:

Easily my GOTY 2014. Of course, opinions, etc.

• Monggerel says:

It does answer the question of what, exactly the “curse of the undead” really is.
      It’s the Souls series. All three of them. And you and the game and all there is and ever was in it shake handsies and put a full stop on the dotted line and then walk into the sun that never sets.
      It feels appropriate. Like last rites.

Why yes, I quite liked DS II. Why ask.

19. Scumbag says:

Very glad I held off for the super-duper GotY with this now. Its kinda paying off with these predictably DLC laden games. *looks at Dragon Age and New Vegas *

20. SomeDuder says:

So uhhh… why bother buying games at launch nowadays? You just wait till it appears in a Steam discount, till the GotY edition is released with all the DLC bullshit, the nonsense described in the article or a combination of all 3.

Seeing as most people probably have pretty fucking huge backlog of games they’ve bought during sales but yet to play, it wouldn’t be hard to just restrain yourself. Man, why aren’t more people like me? It’d be a perfect world.

• drewski says:

The modern method of game release does make me feel pretty stupid every time I buy a game at release, to be honest.

I generally wait for GotY/complete editions now.

• airmikee says:

Ain’t that the truth? The last new release (that wasn’t heavily discounted) I purchased was Civ5. As much fun as Civ:Beyond Earth and Sid Meier’s Starships look, I’m still waiting to see if they’re going to release DLC. I’m looking forward to playing Cities:Skylines sometime next year, after all the DLC is out.

I don’t mind paying for what amounts to an old school expansion pack, up to a point. G&K and BNW for Civ5 weren’t the flies in my ointment, it was the half dozen minor updates that I was asked to purchase in order to have a complete game that bugged me. On the other end of the spectrum, when companies go hog wild with paid DLC it really annoys me beyond all belief. Train Simulator is nearly $5,000 for everything, The Sims 3 is still close to $400 for all the expansions. Absolutely ridiculous pricing for a video game, and as much fun as both franchises are, I’ve given up on both completely.

I was really happy to see that EA decided to make all the DLC for Titanfall free (even though I don’t play it), and FHI announced all the planned DLC for Cities:XXL will be free. Amplitude could have easily asked for cash for the three updates they’ve done to Endless Legend so far. I’m hoping that’s a sign of things to come, and not just anomalies in a sea of cashgrabbing.

I’ve only played half of the games I have installed from my Steam library, and the installs are only a third of my total library. I’m more than happy to clear up my backlog while I’m waiting for GOTY editions.

• sicbanana says:

Praise the sun! :D
      This. is. so. true! I’m also a veery patient PC gamer, always waiting for these crazy Steam Sales before getting that game I wanted for a long time, in the best possible state, patched and whatnot, for a nice price. And it always worked out just fine: I just got into Dark Souls a few months ago, since I heard about the GFWL to Steam migration, and was TOTALLY hooked right from the beginning (over 350h now *cough*). So, now that I’m looking like a starving dog for a new soul-sausage this news comes along and I’m more than happy about it. Perfect timing to get into Dark Souls II then! Wheee!

Truely, patience shalt be the one virtue of a PC gamer.

…and exclusives can sod off. hmpf.

• Ejia says:

The last game I bought at/near launch was the Homeworld Remastered edition, and I’m not sure that counts seeing as how it’s a prettied up rerelease. Otherwise I don’t buy games at/near their release date because I’m cheap and lazy patient and thrifty.

21. TekknoTroll says:

I vaguely recall something about From Software having no interest in selling any post-launch DLCs : D

• pepperfez says:

From weren’t interested, but Bamco were very, very interested.

• fish99 says:

Then again Artorias of the Abyss is probably the best DLC I’ve seen for any game, and made my Dark Souls experience complete, with one of the best areas in the game and 3 of the best boss fights, including my favourite ever From boss – Artorias.

22. Anguy says:

Has anyone been able to access a store page on Steam for SotfS yet?
    Kind of weird that they haven’t set one up yet, since the release is less than a week away in Europe

23. zarthrag says:

$20… I suppose I’ll wait for the RPS review, given From’s track-record on PC. If a 3rd-party mod isn’t needed to make the game actually look pretty, then that alone may be worth my time. I’m probably 50% through the game and wouldn’t mind starting over, actually. Got all the DLC in the pass, hadn’t touched it. $20 is better than the $60 I was dreading.

The good news is, after all that effort implementing DX11, there’s no reason not to do a Souls 3 or other IP (king’s field!!!!). I’ve come to accept that I will never play Bloodborne. (MGS and Bloodborne were my only justification for a PS4, with MGS on PC …there’s no way. That $460 is almost halfway to just getting a Titan!)

• Anguy says:

Yeah I had the same calculation in my had as well. 60€ for Bloodborne around 500$ for a PS4 that I will never use again afterwards.
      I’ll much rather wait for a friend of mine to be less focused on his PS4 and borrow it from him for 2 weeks and buy the game used.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Some day it’ll be bundled with something decent for 300 and 1 year of PS plus, at that point it make make some sort of sense i guess. There are many good games on it.

24. racccoon says:

Daylight white collar ROBBERY

25. Necrourgist says:

What’s so bad about the price? I don’t get it…I mean, i myself don’t have much money per month at my disposal, but still i find 20€ for the DX11 Upgrade (I own DkS2, the complete DLC and the Season Pass) to be more than reasonable. And i don’t care if the changes are “only minor” in nature, for me as a FromSoft/-Souls games Fan, it’s totally worth the money.