Team Fortress 2 Film Live And Let Spy Is 20 Minutes Of Fun

It seemed initially like the Source Filmmaker community might be content to make only short and silly videos, but there’s now a growing selection of long and silly videos starring Team Fortress 2 [official site] characters. The one that’s making the rounds today is The Winglet’s Live and Let Spy, a 20-minute epic that starts out with sneaking but escalates until chaos erupts. Watch it below.

For a fan project, this is absurdly well-made. It’s not quite got the hand-crafted animation polish of, say, my beloved and Valve-approved End of the Line, but there’s no single moment where it looks bad, either. It’s also one of the few community-made TF2 shorts I’ve seen that manages to use the game’s class dialogue in a way that doesn’t feel stilted or awkward, bar possibly that one word where I think the Spy talks in the Demoman’s voice.

Really, I’m nitpicking: this is good, and absurdly so when you consider it’s made almost entirely by a single person over the course of six months. Using free software! And it’s free to watch! What a world. Look at this cool poster for it, too.

If you like it, maybe also try the rougher, shorter previous entries in The Winglet’s loosely related “Fedora Chronicles”.

Thanks, PC Gamer.

1. TimePointFive says:

This shit right here? This that shit that I like.

2. James says:

Hmmm… that was an unproductive 20 minutes. But 20 minutes well spent.

3. caff says:

Nice cartoon! I haven’t played TF2 for a year or two but the voice samples brought it all back quite nicely :)

4. LionsPhil says:

Now, see, the spy facestabbing I can let go because who hasn’t played in those kind of ping conditions.

But a soldier deploying gear? That just ‘ain’t right.

(The bit with the snipers is spot on, though.)

5. Synesthesia says:

Well that was unusually violent, even by tf2 standards. I quite like the short-form, funnier ones a lot better, but that is a lot of love and work put together.

6. Horg says:

“Fedora Chronicles”

Nice animation, but the spy hat worn in those videos is a Trilby. This annoys me more than it probably should.

• Kitsunin says:

I’m pretty sure it’s a fedora. There’s a significant amount of brim, and its top is properly dimpled, which I believe are the factors which separate fedoras and trilbys. The in-game hat is referred to as the “fancy fedora”.

• Horg says:

The Indiana Jones style of hat was a Fedora, the spy’s hat (also, ironically, the neckbeard wearing fedora meme hat) is a Trilby. Google images or wikipedia will settle that dispute. They can both have dimpled crowns, it’s the wider brim that is the main distinction, also the Trilby has a curl at the back of the brim (as does the spy’s hat in the video) while the Fedora is a flat brim.

• Kitsunin says:

It has aspects characteristic of a trilby but still more in common with a fedora, I think, thanks to its rather broad brim and wider brim. In TF2 the scout has a very wonky trilby as an option, which seems to indicate that the TF2 characters are quite fond of bending their hats in strange ways.