Typing Of The Dead: Overkill Gets Custom Dictionaries

Typing of the Dead: Overkill [official site] felt to Alec like an old joke being re-told too many times, but even we were intrigued by its post-release DLC which added Shakespeare and profanity to the typing-driven zombie shooter. If you remain unsatisfied by your inability to kill the undead by typing the word “suppurating”, Sega have announced that you can now create your own custom dictionaries for the game and share them via the Steam Workshop.

There’s already 94 submissions, including Pokémon names and phrases from A Song of Ice & Fire, from which the screenshot above is taken. I’m sad it doesn’t contain “capon”.

Who wants to take it upon themselves to run some of our more popular features through some sort of word cloud thing and turn that into a custom RPS dictionary, eh? There’s nothing in it for you, of course. Alternatively, here’s a list of terrible game writing clichés I hope any such list wouldn’t contain:

gameplay
content
title
franchise
IP
guns blazing
fully-fledged
jawdropping
living, breathing world
experience
genuinely
truthfully
indeed

1. Spacewalk says:

So of course there’s going to be an RPS dictionary right.

2. mrwonko says:

Nice. I wonder if it supports foreign characters and keyboards so it could now be used to learn e.g. the Cyrillic layout…

3. FreeTom says:

Odin help me, I’d forgotten this was even released! And now it’s 75% off on Steam. Why does my bank card just keep bouncing off the monitor?

4. jon_hill987 says:

Pokémon names, followed by their type would be really usefull for me. The number of times I have got it wrong and got “It’s not very effective” instead of the “It’s Super Effective!” I was expecting…

5. vorador says:

I would play the everloving sh*t out of a Peter Molyneux dictionary

“Pull the right trigger to see The Most Interesting Thing in the World”

“You can shake people’s hands, you can hug them, too.

We were inspired by the American man hug – although please don’t do it with British people, we find the closeness of the genitalia really frightening. “

There’s a goldmine right there, folks.

• April March says:

I think those are a tad too long, but it’s easy to find good snippets:

The Most Interesting Thing in the World
      you can hug them, too
      American man hug
      closeness of genitalia

6. edwardh says:

I actually loved this game. And it boggles my mind how anyone could hate it. What other typing game available on PC do you that has you shot up zombie masses as a reward for great typing skills?!

Yeah, IIRC there were some issues with it that ultimately made me stop playing it but still… according to my Steam info, I got 16 great, fun hours out of it. Which is really fair for the price.

• Jediben says:

Let’s copyright – infringe the shrak out of this muddy fun’s ter.

7. April March says:

1. Google “sounds like a band name”.
    2. B-)