2.5D Murder: Three Assassin’s Creed Chronicles Games

Those man-murdering Assassins will be larking about in 2.5 dimensions soon, or 3.5 if you count time, as Ubisoft have announced a whole subseries of side-on spin-offs set across different eras.

We already knew about Assassin’s Creed Chronicles: China [official site] as Ubi offered it as part of the ill-fated Season Pass for Assassin’s Creed Unity. Now they’ve also announced India and Russia games, as well as an April 22nd release date for China, which will come first.

The series will have a ‘2.5D’ take on stealth-o-platform-a-murder, with free running, sneaky tricks, gadgets, and all sorts of murdertools. The 2.5D isn’t only visual, as Assassins can switch between planes. Assassin’s Creed has gone side-scrolling before on portable doodads, I should mention.

Each game is set in a different era with a different hero and its own art style. China goes down in 1526, starring female Assassin Shao Jun from an AC cartoon in a gentle brush stroke-y style. India goes down all bright and colourful in 1841, starring Arbaaz Mir from an AC graphic novel. Lastly, Russia is set in 1918 with Nikolaï Orelov from another comic, in a stark Soviet propaganda-y style.

Ubi say all three games are “tied together narratively” – mercy me, they’re incapable of telling any story without spinning a web of guff, aren’t they?

The games are being made by Climax Studios, the folks recently known most perhaps for Silent Hill: Origins and Shattered Memories.

Look, here’s a trailer introducing all three:

1. draglikepull says:

The art looks great, but the gameplay doesn’t look very Assassin’s Creed-y. It looks like it’s mostly a sword-swinging gore-fest. Where’s the parkour?

• Cochise779 says:

It did look like there was some parkour. Not full open-world cityscape parkour, but climbing and jumping. But it is a side-scroller so I agree we’ll lose a bit of that.

I’m hopeful they retain stealth elements (a la Mark of the Ninja) which it does look like is possible from glimpses of the trailer.

But let’s be honest, if it has Assassin’s Creed in the name I’ll probably pay money for it no matter what.

2. Eiv says:

Actually looking forward to these. As long as Ubisoft don’t make any amazing PR disasters in the mean time.

I like how all 3 have unique styles, the mechanics remind me of Trine 1 + 2.

• ffordesoon says:

“As long as Ubisoft don’t make any amazing PR disasters in the mean time.”

Pfft. This is Ubisoft. They’re better at gaffes than games at this point.

• rcguitarist says:

Really? I watched the entire trailer and until I read your comment I thought the entire trailer was just for one game. They all looked the same to me.

• gwathdring says:

Same here. “3 different art styles” is a stretch. During the little cutscene bits, maybe?

3. vorador says:

Typical of Ubisoft. If something sells, milk it to hell and back until it doesn’t anymore. Find next IP and repeat.

4. ffordesoon says:

Three assassins, one creed? No, no, no.

3assassins1creed.

5. mashkeyboardgetusername says:

Interesting. Whereas the assassins creed games have pretty much stood alone at the top of their own minigenre, this game seems to be stepping into mark of the ninjas’ territory. And mark of the ninja was really bloody good, so this is going to have to be either quite different (and I don’t think a second plane will do it) or quite something.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Huh, I didn’t even consider Mark of the Ninja. Maybe because the trailer here shows gameplay that looks much more like a conventional platformer than Mark of the Ninja’s outstanding, thoughtful gameplay. because of that I’m not expecting too much of these, but who knows, maybe they’ll be enjoyable enough.

• kament says:

I too don’t think they’ll come anywhere near to the brilliance of Mark of the Ninja, but one can hope. After all, 2.5D (or whatever) is much cheaper and thus allows more experimentation with the formula, wishful thinking though it may be. But what a treat that would be, eh?

6. Frank says:

Yay, what a pretty Prince of Persia game!

Bonedancer says:

At first I thought that India, China and Russia all have interesting histories, and thus plenty of room for alternative history shenanigans.

At second thought I could hear an imaginary Ubisoft VP of product placement slavering over “developing markets” and “targeting neglected demographics to birth fresh revenue streams”.

8. Zekiel says:

In the trailer I loved the fact that they spun the globe each time to focus on the new country… but each new country was in the same area thus rendering the globe-spinning wholly unnecessary.

9. idmah says:

Prince of persia.. been there done that .. just don’t make me climb another freak’n tower !!!