Cities: Skylines Modder Is Adding First-Person Multiplayer

There’s already been a Cities: Skylines [official site] mod that lets you wander your streets from a low, ‘first-person’ style camera, but what about doing it with a friend? Reddit user ‘Fr0sZ’ posted a video today of his work-in-progress Cities Skylines multiplayer mod, in which each player is represented in the world as a pedestrian avatar and able to walk around. See below.

“A first look at my multiplayer mod. Now I just need to figure out what to do with it,” writes Fr0sz under the YouTube video. The Reddit community has some ideas, but a multiplayer Crazy Taxi-like driving and delivery game on your roads network sounds pretty fun.

This is obviously just a small experiment at this stage, but it’s remarkable how moddable Cities Skylines is turning out to be. We already gathered up the best graphics tweaks the community has created for the game, but there’s already thousands of buildings and road networks, pre-built cities and maps, extra features like traffic diagnosis tools, and I’m increasingly fond of hard-to-categories oddities like this City Web Server that outputs the underlying data of your city to a webpage of stats and graphs.

With all their simulatory clout, citybuilders seem like perfect foundations for dozens of different types games and a perfect fit for incremental development. For that reason, I always dreamed that EA would one day release a SimCity game and then just have a handful of people working on it for decades afterwards, Dwarf Fortress-style, adding new buildings and features and modes and expanding rather than re-building, like all good city planners. I’m wise enough now to know this is not how big publishers operate, but it’s thrilling that Colossal Order’s Cities Skylines might end up offering the same thrills as a result of its mod support.

Wondering if the base game is for you? Read our Cities Skylines review.

1. sharonsmithuk says:

i have this game.. and its very nice… though it is little bit costly but its nice time pass. thanks link to ecashviatext.co.uk

• BlackeyeVuk says:

Don’t clicka on zis linka, it is infested with gurly cooties, weez gonna die now, I’m already feel its venomous grip turning me into Fluffenshulph.

• Dinjoralo says:

This spam bot makes me more infuriated than usual.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

You’re welcome!

2. MrFinnishDude says:

This is like the time when first texture enhancing mods started popping up for skyrim, and look at its modding scene now. This is the beginning of an era, trust me.

• April March says:

I was thinking how much it’s like Skyrim, except that I was thinking about how much RPS posts about it. Except that I’m actually interested in this one so I’m happy RPs is posting about it.

BOTH GAMES HAVE SKY IN ITS NAME

IT’S A CONSPIRACY

HALF-LIFE SKY CONFIRMED

3. fredc says:

Has the game been patched and modded for cycle routes/lanes yet? My understanding is the original release has either roads or footpaths only, which seemed a strange omission.

RaveTurned says:

Well the omission really is that bicycles don’t exist at all in the game, but you’re right it is curious.

Not seen any mods as of yet – I’m vaguely hoping bikes and their related infrastructure will get added into the game in a future update, but I guess we’ll see.

• fredc says:

Wow, even stranger than I thought.

• Gap Gen says:

Yeah, I gather the devs want to add more transport options (even though at this point the rest of the city largely exists to allow you to build more transport) like trams, but they’re a small team so the initial release was more limited than they’d have liked.

• Jimmy says:

When I look at the videos I wonder to what extent this city builder is already constrained by American and British models of city planning. Most of what I see consists of distinct districts for industry and very low density suburbs. Can I recreate Copenhagen or Vienna here? Motorised transport is what people are talking about in the threads too, and cycle lanes omitted!!??
      Perhaps a carbon counting mod would be cool too, like a research-oriented planning tool but for gaming.

• James says:

I suspect that as the modding community develop and the dev continue to update the game we will see things such as car pollution, cycle lanes and so on. However I think the woodland and agricultural industry buildings could use some more realistic proportions, That’s what I want out of a mod the most, it it immersion breaking for me.

• fish99 says:

Industrial zones create pollution, so they need to be separated from residential, but you can instead make offices which can be mixed in with residential but require a higher level of education (i.e. a university). And the game does have high density residential.

Your city can be entirely offices and high density residential and no industry, and if you combine that with metros, buses and train, and free public transport, you get very little traffic, but you’ll find your city has to import a lot of goods if you don’t have any industry to produce them (commerce needs something to sell after all).

I dunno how far you can go down the pedestrian city route, I haven’t really tried that, but there’s currently no bicycles.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

A city building game where you start out with an old pre-industrial revolution city and then have to build a new city over that.

4. Kollega says:

My ideal re-appropriation of a ctiy-building game for another genre would be a racing-slash-road-trip type of game. Something like The Crew, only instead of having a pre-set map, you can first create an entire megalopolis and its surroundings, with the city center, industrial districts, suburbs, and farmland dotted with small towns outside the city borders… and then cruise around the resultant road network in a sports car, or challenge your friends to a race across the cityscape you’ve created. And while I doubt Cities: Skylines can quite support that vision, who knows – maybe one day it will.

• Vapor_Strike says:

I genuinely feel that this is actually something that can be accomplished. Think about it. Here’s where we’re at so far:
      Flight Cimulator mod (no typo here, look up the mod name)
      First Person Multiplayer mod

Now, all you have to do is make a Driving Cimulator, which will either be less challenging, as aircraft are already fairly complex (or so I’d think, with my 0 knowledge of game-making/moddng), or more challenging (as you’d have to deal with legitimate cars on the road and their respective pathfinding), but either way, it very will might be possible there. Then, combine it with the FPS multiplayer mod. Again, probably infinitely more complicated than I make it out to be, but with all the shit we’ve added to Skylines in less than a week, is any modding for this game really “complicated” at all anyways?

• Vapor_Strike says:

Of course, it wouldn’t be AAA quality driving/racing, but it would really be something close, perhaps close enough to bring about a legitimate game like that.

5. Kempston Wiggler says:

I’ve gotta say…the fact there are so many great mods out for this already is just fantastic to watch. This game is going to be HUGE.

#suckitEA

6. Jimbo says:

I don’t usually go into mods that heavily, but the massive improvement the community made to this game within the first couple weeks of release was something to behold. It’s also the first time I’ve looked at Steam Workshop and I must say I was very impressed with how easy that made everything too.

7. pandiculator says:

Could we please get a multiplayer SimCopter? Or Streets of SimCity? I think that’d push this game into must-own.

• brecherbernd says:

Yeaaaah. That was what I was thinking about. Sim Copter was really great!

8. Gap Gen says:

Massive props to the person who mods a GTA clone into this.

Qazinsky says:

Yeah, if you think keeping your city running smoothly is interesting now, imagine if one of the little citizens suddendly stole a car, ran over ten other citizens, led your police force on a merry chase through a mall and ended up crashing into and setting fire to a nearby power plant!