Steam & GoG Do Movies: Devolver’s Motivational Growth

Hard not to detect a certain HLM aesthetic, no?

Do I want movies on Steam? Not really, given how much of a labyrinth it already is for games alone. On the other hand, my intrinsic inertia makes the idea of everything under one icon vaguely appealing. It’s unclear whether Valve even intends Steam to be a true one-stop multimedia shop, although the mind inevitably turns to how their upcoming SteamVR tech could be turned to cinema-aping movie-viewing (complete with clumsy stagger through the dark to the loos during a quiet bits). Tellingly, the service is also on the verge of its first non-non-fiction movie release, a Devolver-distributed horror/comedy flick named Motivational Growth. It’s also out on GoG, plus the console stores.

Previously, Steam has offered non-fiction documentaries, such as Indie Game: The Movie and Free To Play, but its provision of video is so rudimentary that there currently isn’t even an official way to filter movies out from legions of game trailers. (You can get most of the way there with community-made Steam tags, however).

Anyway, Motivational Growth. Official synposis: “After a failed TV set leads to a failed suicide attempt, depressed and reclusive Ian Folivor begins taking life advice from a fungal growth in his filthy bathroom.”

To my eyes it looks a bit like Cronenborg remade Little Shop Of Horrors, is directed by sometime game dev Don Thacker (who recently got shmup/pointer-clicker mash-up Starr Mazer funded on Kickstarter to the tune of almost $200k), has a Hotline Miami-esque soundtrack and goes a little something like this. Warning: not safe for work in various ways.

Interestingly, YouTube segued from that to a trailer for Peter Pan Live starring Christopher Walken. Google’s algorithms remain the most cryptic alchemy.

Motivational Growth is out on Steam later today for eight Ameri-bucks, but is already available on various other services, including GoG. It stars the voice of The Re-Animator’s Jeffrey Combs, and has had some rave hype from horror and cult movie fansites, but they kinda always do that, don’t they?

1. dorobo says:

I bet ‘Naked Lunch’ is better than this :]

2. jezcentral says:

“Do I want movies on Steam? Not really, given how much of a labyrinth it already is for games alone.”

Given that there are so many games on Steam, it doesn’t matter if you put films on there, as well. You need the Curators/Discovery/personal research to get to anything nowadays, so whether there are ten thousand or a million things, you’ll now use the same method to find something.

• Shuck says:

Even if you rely on the same mechanisms, it’s more interface clutter, as you’ll have separate menu options. More media, more mess.

3. RARARA says:

I hate that trailer music with every fibre of my being.

4. wraithgr says:

Steam is already a labyrinth, adding a new wing would make zero difference… As long as they don’t mix movies and games, the way they don’t mix games and utilities there shouldn’t be any issues…

Ps: I still don’t get how people can be incapable of holding it for the duration of a movie…

• Sir Buildbot Winslave says:

It’s usually a case of people not thinking their build through properly. You know, you want space for additional augments so you opt for the extra compact bladder. Then you get yourself talked into a pair of high-performance, high-throughput kidneys …

5. Neutrino says:

Movies on Steam. Lol. If they implement that the same way as their games DRM I expect I’d have to buy an extra license for each pair of eyes watching the movie at any one time.

Sod that.

There have already been half a dozen games that I would have bought in the last year or so that I’ve ended up not paying for because the only legitimate way to get them is via Steam, and I’m simply not prepared to pay for something that then unreasonably restricts my ability to use it.

• Xzi says:

This type of whining might have held up back when Steam was a brand-new, ugly green thing, but nowadays with a thousand different launchers and DRM being the norm, it just feels pointlessly political and unnecessary. If people thought their access to products through Steam was far too restrictive, it wouldn’t be enjoying half the success that it does now.

• April March says:

“I’d understand if you complain that I’d shat in your water supply in the old days, but nowadays everyone is shitting in the water supply. Complaining about shit in your water is political and restrictive.”

• Xzi says:

Because the two subjects are certainly equitable. I don’t remember Steam ever giving me cholera, either. Shall I start an RPS “victims of Steam who enjoy hyperbole and over-exaggeration” group for you two?

• Neutrino says:

Your statement is essentially that “there is no point complaining about or attempting to change the status quo”.

Which is about the dimmest thing I’ve heard for weeks.

• welverin says:

As dim as complaining about everything on Steam having DRM even when that’s not the case?

People like them like to whine about Steam being DRM, which it is not. There’s an option, but that’s a choice made by the Publisher/developer and not an inherent part of Steam itself.

6. Brtt says:

/me pats Alec

I happen to have a couple movies on GOG (of course), but I very quickly stopped caring.

It’s not the movies themselves that let me hanging dry in my tracks, but the stupidity of having said movies *only* distributed as mp4.
    Yup, let’s forget that mkv is everywhere, mp4 will be a lot of fun for sure !
    Well, my multimedia player ain’t too keen about it either (at the very least when it comes to subtitles)…

7. Frye2k11 says:

It would never come close to (the illegal) Popcorn Time, because content providers will never agree on a single distribution channel. Digital Capitalism is fundamentally flawed, where thieves get a superior product.