Game Of The Month: April – Cities: Skylines

Did you know? Seven million games were released yesterday. Such a constant deluge can make it difficult to keep up with what’s happening right now in the world of PC games, and while RPS exists to tell you the four million games you must be playing on any given day, it’s possible you have even less time. What if you need to pick just one game to play?

That’s what Game Of The Month is for. On the first Monday of each month, we’ll pick one released game to highlight for the rest of that month. It’s us saying: if you should be paying attention to one thing right now, this is it. We’ll then write about that game more throughout the rest of the month, explaining why we love it in a group verdict, interviewing the developers for insight about its creation and future, writing fun diaries that show you what it’s like to play, and more.

First up, Cities: Skylines [official site].

We’ll have more on why we picked the game later today when our group verdict appears, but you might have some questions about Game Of The Month in general.

Why is April’s game one that was released in March?

We want to pick games that we’ve had a chance to play and consider for ourselves and games that you can play right now. That means unreleased games are beyond our scope, but does not mean that we’re limited only to recently released games. We’ll select any game which seems most vital right now, and so while that will most frequently be whatever is new, we may also choose to highlight a game that’s years old if an update, fan patch, mod, esports tournament or personal whim has suddenly made it alive and important.

Is this an April Fools’ joke?

If this isn’t an April Fool’s Joke (It really isn’t. -Ed) then why are you starting a Game of the Month feature now rather than at the beginning of the year?

The workings of the Horatian Calendar are mysterious, and besides, every start-point and end-point is as arbitrary as the British weather.

Why didn’t you pick Pillars of Eternity, you charlatans?

John, is that you?

If any of you have other questions, ask away.

1. Evil Pancakes says:

Maybe next months GoTM can be Pillars of Eternity then?
    Most fun I’ve had with an RPG since Fallout 2.

• dontnormally says:

That’s the best endorsement I’ve yet read. [:

• Zordan says:

Pillars is the real deal. It’s what [The Kotors, Shadowrun, D:OS, the Dragon Ages, the Mass Effects, Alpha Protocol, Wasteland 2]. It’s as if western Iso RPGs had never stopped, evolve for 15 years and been perfected. It’s a proper Baldurs Gate 3 only better. It’s the REAL. FUCKING. DEAL.

distantlurker says:

You know the problem with starting something like this is you have to do it E.V.E.R.Y M.O.N.T.H right, and you *know* what you folks are like!

Remember when Alex wrote to supporters and said (and I quote) “we don’t write you to you enough, we know that – our long days in the word mines make it tricky at present, but we do have plans to improve that.”

That was August.

2013!

John’s off spawning, Cara’s flitting around the World on some corporate jolly, One of the ladies is doing the backstroke in the local pond and the other is looking on shaking her head and rolling her eyes.

Game Of The Recent Past might have been better to shoot for :D

3. DedlySpyder says:

My thought: This is just to justify writing 50 bazillion more articles on Cities.

Graham Smith says:

We don’t need to try very hard to justify writing about games we like, especially when they’re popular and liked by others, too.

Heck, we don’t have to try very hard to justify writing about anything we want.

gritz says:

If it’s not hard to write about games you like, why is “Have You Played…” never updated anymore?

I appreciate the love for recent classics Cities and PoE, but that feature is what gets me to dig out my Steam backlog.

• mrwonko says:

Fine with me.

• TotalyMoo says:

Aww yiss, we’re more than OK with that!

Any clue as to what you’re planning to write? I’ll definitely keep an eye on these articles and share in our channels :)

• heretic says:

Having a label such as game of the month in a way helps RPS spread the word about itself.

I noticed a game on steam had something like part of RPS’ games of the year list, now there will most likely be a label RPS’ game of the month or something along those lines.

I guess RPS is growing so this is good, and since RPS doesn’t use scores games that are well liked by RPS can’t spread the word easily, maybe this makes it easier – in your trailer you can claim to be RPS’ game of the month :)

It does look like RPS is growing out of its tree house and more towards the community center, I’m not sure how I feel about this. In a way RPS is now the only gaming source I need as it covers any newsworthy things and great writing, but also I find myself unable to keep up with the deluge of new articles that I probably miss the ones worth reading in depth in an attempt to have a glance at everything.

4. Not_Id says:

I read on the devs blog that they’ll be releasing some dlc for this game soon. The first is Windolene which gives you a choice of window cleaning options.

5. blastaz says:

Good idea. Always good to see more coverage of games of the now.

But agree, why didn’t you pick pillars of eternity?!

Maybe, games of the month?

Gnarl says:

Seems kinda pointless and artificial. I mean theme weeks, like survival, give a nice variety. This just seems unnecessary. If the game’s that good/interesting, you’d probably just write about it anyway?

• bill says:

The problem with survival week was that it was really really dull if you weren’t interested in survival games (which, let’s be honest, are pretty uninteresting).

This seems like an ok idea, but it possibly runs the same risk, if you aren’t into the game in question. But as you said, they’d probably be writing baout it anyway, so it’s really just a way of collecting those articles together in a slightly more organised way.

But then, this is RPS, so they’ll probably get sidetracked and forget about it within 3 months. ;-)

Graham Smith says:

You’re right, we write about the games we like anyway, but it can be hard for people who don’t follow the site or games every day to have a sense of what The Big Thing Is. For that reason, it seems worthwhile to hold one game up above the others and say, “Hey, if you can only pay attention to one thing right now, pay attention to this.”

For everyone else, you get a couple of extra articles about a game we like anyway, and it’ll be tagged and have a logo on the top image so it’s easy to find and/or ignore. Given that it’s monthly, it shouldn’t be as intense as the theme weeks.

7. FreeTom says:

Good idea, folks. Nice to see you’ve put it on your Steam curator list as well. I was starting to think thought you’d given up on that stuff. Woot, as we said in my day.

8. egattocs says:

Seems like a cool idea! Looking forward to reading more about the games you guys like.

9. Skeletor68 says:

GOAT impossible

10. Dinger says:

yeah, the whole “Do this every month” part looks complicated. On the other hand, RPS had early-and-often coverage of The Orange Box, AudioSurf, Minecraft, and who knows what else: some major, some minor, but all defining moments for the website. I kinda like the fact that John’s skeptical about this one.

And Chirpy’s not the problem; the problem is the lousy material she’s got to work with. #lifeproblems

11. Xyviel says:

Why didn’t you pick Pillars of Eternity, you charlatans?

• Kempston Wiggler says:

It takes time to properly wipe that amount of drool out of your keyboard.

• Henas says:

They double clicked on the icon and lost racial buffs to “+5 Common Sense, +10 Journalism, +12.5 Britishness”

12. Vandelay says:

I approve this idea. And it makes sense that Pillars isn’t picked, as it has only just been released and is huge. I doubt any of RPS, besides John, has played more than a quarter or so of it. I fully expect it to be next months pick (not played it myself, but all who have are singing it’s praises.)

• Vandelay says:

Argh, just noticed I made schoolboy “it’s/its” error! No edit button means my shame is on display for all to see!

13. Nova says:

Even fewer surprises for the Advent Calendar or Bestest Best Whatever then, I guess. It makes the end of the year feature a bit redundant. But then, it lost a lot of its charm already.

14. Oakreef says:

I’m guessing the book club isn’t going to make a magical resurgence to focus on an old game and a new one every month?

15. SuicideKing says:

Honest question: How will this tie up with the Advent Calendar at the end of the year?

• Person of Interest says:

This seems like it would be for games that are “so hot right now” and can support a series of articles. Advent Calendar games are the most enjoyable/memorable of the year. There are lots of games on past Advent Calendars that I can’t imagine would be good Games Of The Month, because they’re niche, or too short to entertain a person for an entire month. I suppose it only works to a lesser extent the other way around, although EVE or Dwarf Fortress or Minecraft could for example have been featured in months past.

16. rexx.sabotage says:

I wonder how long they’ll manage to do these pieces before they too are crushed under the insurmountable weight of the rock paper shotgun attention deficit disorder.

I put my money on three, four tops.