Geometry Wars 3 Evolves In Big Free Content Patch

Splode-o.

The new Sierra might only be Activision wearing a different hat, but something about that hat is making them behave nicer. Leaving for the office in the morning, they catch their reflection and think “Yeah, you got it.” Then they reach work and release a hefty content patch for Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions [official site] for free – not as some wacky DLC season pass pre-order perk.

Slapping the game with the new subtitle Dimensions Evolved, yesterday’s patch added new levels, boss battles, a tougher difficulty mode. Yeah, you work that hat, Ian Activision.

The full list of shiny things new to Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions evolved is 40 extra levels, a new drone, a new super ability named the Detonator, and a ‘Hardcore’ mode. That’s got 20 levels with their own leaderboards, and doesn’t let players use a drone or super.

Sierra also note that “Adventure mode’s progression requirements have also been rebalanced to make it significantly easier for players to unlock and advance through the full experience.” Good-o.

GW3 is made by Lucid Games, a studio formed by folks from series developers Bizarre Creations after it shut down but without key GW folks like creator Stephen Cakebread. Rich Stanton noted in our review last year, “Though what it adds doesn’t do much for me, what it brings from GW2 is simply brilliant, looks better than ever, and has never been on PC before – and everyone should try Pacifism mode at least once in their life.”

1. FreeTom says:

First! Oh hang on, I’m ten years too late.

2. RobF says:

Ducked in to give it a try yesterday and it’s still not too great. The roadblocking is still there in full force making the later adventure stages a heck of a chore and the new RE Classic mode really starts to show the differences between this and the original incarnations up. Playing back to back with the original and slightly janky PC port of RE and yeah, the closer it gets to a pure Geometry Wars the more hollow this version feels with the smaller, less colourful explosions, lack of fidelity to the audio cues and lack of visual feedback to the black holes. It’s a lot of small but crucial feedback things that all fed into each other to make GW special sort of undone or missing.

The more I mull it over, the more I reckon Lucid have some really great ideas tucked away in here and there’s some definite good steals from other recent twin stickers but it’s ragged down by trying to fit them either into the roadblocky adventure structure and/or by wearing the skin of Geometry Wars when it maybe should have floated off in a different direction. Even the stuff that it’s borrowed from Galaxies, an attempt to flesh GW out into something more structured seem to fall flat, the drones were super useful when your controls were restricted on a Wii-mote or DS, here they’re just things that leave you wondering what drone was used to get what score rather than as anything especially useful.

And the worst of it is, unlike its predecessors I think I died once or twice to my own carelessness. In all the hours I sunk into this across PS4 and PC, virtually every death came about in a way I couldn’t have avoided. Either from things speeding in from out of view, being in the wrong place on a 3d stage where the pattern spawns something too close or due to the lack of feedback, a black hole exploding from out of view and something smacking into me.

So yeah, the patch is more of the game but all the problems with the game -as a Geometry Wars game- persist. Not that I envy anyone trying to tackle that in the first place but still, disappointing out of ten and for a lot of things that just needed someone coming up and going “do you not think that’s a bit of a shit idea?”

• SlimShanks says:

That’s shame. I’ve been waiting so long for someone to recapture the greatness of the original game. It also really bothers me that the grid is insufficiently stretchy, as that is one of the best things about that game. Also the colours.

• kudossupreme says:

I still love the wii version the very best. They got it closer to that, but the wii version is still far superior.

• Eleven says:

It’s not like they didn’t know that they’d designed in unavoidable insta-deaths, either. The game has a loading screen hint telling you to memorise the spawn points so you can avoid them, conveniently ignoring that you only see a fraction of the playfield at once on most levels, and so can’t see the spawns you’re supposed to be memorising. The game becomes brute force trial-and-error, some levels more than others, and sometimes a bit of a boring to complete.

I’m saying this as someone who really likes the game, and I’ve played more than enough hours to have got my money’s worth, but it has some design issues that are completely unnecessary.

• RobF says:

Yeah, it’s an innate problem with the shift to 3d grids, I think.

Super Stardust avoids the worst of it by having stuff that’s generally less deadly filling the screen alongside using larger arenas, a luxury you can’t really afford with Geometry Wars. Still fairly sure there’s a few things they could have done to not so much fix it but certainly make it all less aggravating. Easing up on the one hit and stage over thing they’re weirdly fond of and easing up the messiness of the restarting would mitigate some of it but I think the move to 3d space is a dead end. Thinking on, even Resogun as brill as it is for the most part suffers a bit for it, albeit not sooo much that it matters in the main.

Still. I’ve been getting my twin stick jollies from the pairing of WEAREDOOMED and Bezier at the mo anyway so Geometry Wars not being all it could have been is a disappointment but not the end of the world. Time to shift my arse and finish mine off this year, I guess.

3. EhexT says:

So how come Atari isn’t selling them since their ship looks exactly like Tempests too?

4. Banks says:

Great. I didn’t love GW3 as much as I’d hoped to but I’ll gladly be back for this.