Big HotS: Heroes Of The Storm’s Big Head Mode

It's like I'm back on Goldeneye 64 again

Purveyors of April Foolery, Blizzard, have temporarily added a giant head mode to Heroes of the Storm.

“Variety is the spice of life in Heroes of the Storm, and we’re always looking for new ways to allow players to customize their Heroes and infuse their personalities into the denizens of the Nexus,” they say. “Big Head Mode is just another step in that direction.”

I think perhaps I’m not very good at observing heads because, although obvious on the menu screens and when you scroll wheel to zoom in, the default aerial view doesn’t seem very different to me.

The mode only activates when you load in to a match so you won’t see it immediately on the menu screens. Scrolled in it’s more obvious and I must admit I didn’t realise I’d respawned because I was too busy staring at chibi Tyrande and trying to decide if the mode was ultimately something I liked.

From the request for feedback from players I wouldn’t be surprised if Blizzard was trying to work out whether to keep the mode, either as a toggle or an unlock as the game progresses. If that’s the case: it really doesn’t do anything for me, but then I am a joyless jerk.

1. Billzor says:

“Variety is the spice of life in Heroes of the Storm”

If this was true, then you’d give me access to all heroes instead of teasing me with monthly hero rotations.

Dota2 has spoiled me, I know.

• Fenaer says:

It’s a weekly rotation. It’s actually fairly reasonable, a nice mix of different hero types each week. (Except goddamn murky)

• Shockeh says:

Not when reasonably compared to ‘Here’s all the heroes, all the time.’

• Xocrates says:

Granted, Valve is probably more interested in having you install Steam than in selling you champions.

If I have a problem with HotS is that it takes too bloody long to unlock one, not that the rotations are a thing (which, business reasons aside, is not a bad way to introduce, and getting you to try, champs).

• Moraven says:

League of Legends seemed to take a lot longer.

Heroes
            ~2200 gold from dailies in a week. Can have up to 3 dailies. Some can be counted towards in the same game.
            25 gold on average per game.
            Heroes are 2k to 10k (Sylvanas is 15k.)

You get 500 gold for reaching level 5 on each character.

They just implemented more free gold. 2k gold at Player level 20, 25, 30, 35, 40.
            7 Day stimpack at level 10. 150% more gold from each win. 100% more XP.
            1250 Gold at new Hero level 15. 2500 Gold at Hero level 20. (these take awhile to obtain)

I think its worth getting the Nexus bundle to start. Worthy amount based on the amount you will likely end up playing. I will get free Heroes to level 5 for the gold and see if I like them or not. While I do not have everyone, I have the Heroes I like to play and 30k in the bank.

• Xocrates says:

@Moraven: Dailies on average require 3 games and give 300-600 gold, getting a champ to level 5 takes in the vicinity of 5-10 games. Let’s say you level a champ from 0-5 and get 2 dailies on the process, this will take ~7 games and net you 1500-2000 gold – this is not enough for one of the cheapest champions and requires you to sync the dailies AND the champ levelling.

Also, a lot of the gold is frontloaded. You get a decent amount while levelling, but it starts to dry up. Levelling ALL champs to 4 will net you ~10000 gold and requires hundreds of games. Levelling your account to 40 will net you about -30000. All of that income dries up after 40 and you got 4 or 5 champs out of it.

League gives you 150 IP for your first win of the day regardless of game length or mode, this means you could get one of the most expensive champs every month or so (at 6300), or one of the cheapest every 3 days (150) – on the first win bonus ALONE, your actual IP will likely be double or triple that.

To match that kind of income on HotS you need to level a hero AND do the dailies AND level your account – and you’ll notice that two of those actually restrict what you can play. If you actually play what you want to play, gold income is much slower.

Also, not counting gold from matches because that amount is 1/10 of what you get from dailies… at best.

• Xocrates says:

Edit button, wherefore are thou?

Anyway, messed up a few numbers:

Levelling all champs to level 5 nets you about 20000, not 10000 (in reality, 17500)

Cheapest hero on LoL is 450, not 150

• Monggerel says:

I got about half of the champions unlocked in League of Legends. How I got to that point, I can’t quite say – and looking back it sure as shit wasn’t worth the effort.

The things we do to allay boredom. I coulda learned a language in that time. Made friends. Produced fine baked goods. Built an altar for to The Horned King Crowned in Shame (though I suppose countless hours of League made for a fine sacrifice anyway).

• Vandelay says:

I still think that Smite is the yardstick we should be measuring these things against. ~£20 to unlock all the heroes ever is basically like buying the game and it seems reasonable enough. The free hero rotation becomes a demo to the game.

Valve are fortunate enough to be in a position to have thousands of people who would spend absurd amounts of money on vanity items, a position that not many other companies would find themselves in. I think Blizzard is the only other company that would be able to, but they don’t seem keen to do it. If they incorporated a trading system like the Steam Marketplace and took a cut of every sale, I am certain they could rake in as much money as Valve do with the DOTA items.

• Shockeh says:

I wouldn’t say ‘fortune’ has anything to do with it; They chose to pursue the model, and it baffles the mind why the other developers haven’t looked at it and thought ‘Wow, that obviously works, let’s do that’. It’s not like they were charging and went F2P, that was always the target operating model.

Blizzard are leaning heavily on the loyalty to their IP, and the attachment people have to their name, and I think they need a bit of a reminder that we’re in 2015 now.

• Kompatriartes says:

I guess it annoys me mildly when compared with LoL or DoTA2, but the rate of unlock is reasonable. In particular, you’re going to pick a couple of heroes and master them. I pretty much play Diablo/Zagara/Rehgar/Kerrigan exclusively, and other heroes are just a curiosity to me. With free rotations I might find a hero to replace one in the above tetrad but for the most part, I just needed a few to be content since mastering them takes ages.

At any rate Blizzard’s vastly superior game design is probably what they’re hoping will allow them to pull this off.

2. Drew says:

Are you April fooling an April fool?

3. FurryLippedSquid says:

Wow, that must have taken some serious thought.

/s

4. Cockie says:

I found the a lot funnier. :)

5. Vandelay says:

I know that this is an April Fool’s thing, but it doesn’t make much sense for this to be a permanent mode. An FPS game actually has gameplay benefits from this, as the more kills someone makes the bigger the target for a headshot is. The joke would wear thin after a few matches here.