Freshman Year: How A Night Out Can Turn Terrifying

Nina Freeman’s short, illustrated interactive fiction game Freshman Year made me feel sick. It did this because it shows how a young woman being in a public place can be interpreted as sexual availability by a man who shows no interest in asking what she wants, and instead believes he can just take what he wants.

Because I am a man I do not experience those same risks; I am, largely speaking, free to socialise and dance and drink without becoming a target for someone else’s desires, and without great risk that they will act on them without my permission. I felt sick because I realised that I’ve often preoccupied myself with the miseries of knock-backs or shyness, but I’ve never once thought how terrifying it can be to be on the other side. To be seen as public property simply because one is in public.

Freshman Year is light and shade. It starts with the freedom and vibrancy of a youth with minimal responsibilities, and collapses into the menace of more physically powerful figures and the terrifying vulnerability which results.

If you or someone you care about has ever experienced sexual abuse or harassment, please be warned that Freshman Year discusses these topics. It is not heavy-handed about it it, not does it contain NSFW imagery; it achieves all it needs to with short sentences, simple art and deeply disquieting sound effects, and it is confident enough in what it means to convey that it leaves the player to draw some of their own conclusions.

As powerful as it is brief, it should be played, especially by men. It’s free and runs in a browser here.

For more on Nina Freeman and her work, it is very much worth reading sometime RPS comrade Cara Ellison’s report here.

1. SuicideKing says:

Hey, thanks for this. Will try and get others to play it too. Ever since high school I’ve realised how common this stuff is, and it’s scary.

2. TomxJ says:

I really value games that tackle serious issues, whether personal or societal. This site has led me to some real thought provoking pieces that take me out of my comfort zone, (Papa and Yo, Papers Please, 10 Seconds in Hell), but after its done I feel the dialogue has somewhat ended. I’m regularly profoundly moved by by games or interactive media, and yet as with a movie, or article Its hard to continue the conversation with a wider audience.

A genuine question few questions; Why do you think this is? How can it be changed (because it could only be a GOOD thing)? Or am I wrong and is it just me that feels this way?

• DXN says:

Interesting point… I guess the best I’ve found for that kind of engagement is things like forums — for games, the forums at RPS, or Crate and Crowbar, Idle Thumbs, etc — but someone has to make the thread and enough people have to show interest for it to be worthwhile, so it’s more difficult to get a good discussion going for smaller/indier games like this. Of course, you can usually start a thread yourself, but a person can only start and stoke so many threads. There’s usually good discussion of TV stuff at e.g. Metafilter’s Fanfare section… often at the Movies section of StackExchange… or at certain (usually smaller, focussed, and well-moderated) sections of Reddit. And although it’s more passive, a good podcast discussion is always satisfying!

If you mean more like sparking a broader, ‘internet-wide’ type discussion, well, that’s obviously more difficult, but starting a website, blog, or these days even a game jam or a panel at a con can be good ways to get people talking.

As to this game… short, simple, by no means sweet but well-done and affecting. Brrrrr… bad times.

• minkiii says:

You make a great point. I like it when little games are featured somewhere like on Game Jolt, rather than hosted externally, because there is a comment section where everyone chats about what they liked. I wonder if games pertaining to certain issues (gender, race, sexuality) possibly avoid being open to comments for fear of being swamped by trolls.

3. ribby says:

What is wrong with me..? Why am I so inclined to shirk away from messages like this?

• DXN says:

They’re hard to hear. Because they’re usually so absent from the general/typical/default set of ideas we’re exposed to (‘culture’), taking them onboard means enduring a certain amount of cognitive dissonance first.

• tiltaghe says:

Me too, I don’t engage into these kind of debates. I recognize they are useful and the problem indeed exists but… To be honest, I am well intentioned, and I can’t always double-question myself. Am I too distant and polite? Am I too insistent? At some point, you have to act naturally and if the other person is what you’re interested in, you have to communicate it, get the point across one way or the other.

Maybe I’m totally missing the point/subject. I haven’t tried to game. I’m sure it is spot on for the issue and abuse it tackles. Sure some men do not respect women and it is saddening.

Phasma Felis says:

Sometimes, when things are going badly in my life, I don’t have the strength to face a stranger’s pain as well.

That’s okay. You have to take care of yourself so you can be strong enough to help others. Don’t use it as an excuse to hide under a rock your whole life, but do what you need to do to be emotionally healthy and strong.

• airmikee says:

Nothing is ‘wrong’ with you per se, it’s completely normal human behavior to avoid the problems of strangers. With that being said, I’ll tell you that after spending most of my life trying to make sure the voiceless have a voice, it is well worth the initial discomfort to help those in true need.

4. heretic says:

Thank god for comment moderation, keep up the good work – the stuff on here a bit earlier was abismal! Crazy how games like these can generate such a nasty response so quickly, probably proves the point that more people need to be exposed to these messages.

• ribby says:

pfft it was hardly abysmal- this is the internet you realize…

• Cheeetar says:

It doesn’t matter if this is the internet. Being a terrible person is still terrible- it’s not more or less acceptable because of the medium by which people are terrible.

• ribby says:

True: But based on the kind of thing that is common on the internet, sarcasm ranks fairly low on the heinousness scale

• Gap Gen says:

“pfft it was hardly abysmal- this is the internet you realize…”

Oh hey is it Opposite Day already? Man, where does the time go.

5. Pantsman says:

“I am, largely speaking, free to socialise and dance and drink without becoming a target for someone else’s desires…”
    Aw, chin up, Alec. I’m sure there’s someone out there for you.

6. Sunjammer says:

My takeaways from this:

She’s basically just being physically assaulted by this guy. It’s gross and terrible and I hated when it happened. Played again, made a point out of not making the same choices, assaulted again.

I don’t see a tremendously broad distinction between what he does to her and rape. It’s absolutely, completely, wildly over the line and if a friend had told me this had happened to her I’d be learning details about the dude that did it for future reference. It’s fucking gross.

That said. I find the game sort of manipulative. The basic idea is that the dude is a monster no matter what. We are meant to hate him and feel terrible as the victim, and we do. There’s no subtlety and when I first heard of the game it was explained to me as a view into what harassment feels like. THIS is harassment? This is violent transgression. If the implication is that this is what women refer to when they speak of harassment, it kind of throws any discussion about it under the bus.

I’d honestly rather play a game that sneaks this stuff under my skin and makes me wonder about my choices rather than grab me by the hair and shove my face in it as if I’ve just been struck by rapist artillery. I’ve, as most people, watched movies with rape scenes in the past and they were miserable, scarring experiences. I’m not sure what new this brings to the table other than making me click through it.

At first I thought it was going to be about how her friend treats her, and I suppose it kind of is, in that her friend doesn’t really recognize the trauma she’s experienced. But from THAT my takeaway was that physical assault has become so common that girls think it’s normal, and therefore that whole angle dies too. It’s just evil monster men. It’s a psychological jump scare.

There are evil monster men, but I don’t know any. I don’t know any man who thinks this stuff is remotely okay or even funny, I haven’t known any, and I’m 33 years old now having travelled a fair bit. The terrible monster men are definitely out there for sure, but I’ve no vector in on them. The end result is I play the game, feel miserable, and think oh well that was awful.. But I really can’t do much about that. Female players will (and seem to) just globally acknowledge this as “how things are”, but as a male player, what was gained from this? Was I supposed to not know that behavior is deplorable and that it sucks to be violently molested?

• ribby says:

That was very eloquent and I think you’ve just explained to me why the experience felt off and did not have the desired effect (whatever that was) on me

• PancakeWizard says:

Nice thoughts. IMO, it’s not a game at all, it’s more like reading someone’s diary. Uncomfortable probably about sums it up, and not just because of the obvious.

• Flit says:

Hey, nice thoughts. I feel that the game’s main message is about being rebuffed in the face of trauma rather than than a commentary on the nature of harassment. It’s a vignette of why sexual assault is massively under-reported, a one-two punch of trust dissolution.

That said, it does feel manipulative, but increased agency in such a short adventure might dilute its message.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

I think it could have been built up a little bit more. The idea being that women when out alone have these extra things to worry about. The point is, for a woman, when out alone this is what COULD happen and you could never really tell when or if (as we see her at first thinking “This person seems friendly”). You cannot judge people in 2 minutes and she wouldn’t know which one of the 10 men she may have talked to that night would be the one that turned into her assaulter as it would only happen given the opportunity (i.e. them alone), but it’s a constant paranoia that women have to deal with in those sorts of social situations.

• DanMan says:

The takeaway is that if you’re in such a situation, your actions often don’t matter because the end result will be the same. If the guy is determined, there’s not much you can do, or you’re at least walking a very thin line.

That’s been the takeaway in most of these… “games”.

• Cederic says:

So basically the situation where I’m quietly having a drink in a bar and some drunk idiot asks if I just called his beer a poofter?

No matter what response I try, it’s going to end in violence.

Strange, don’t seem feminists writing games about that.

• minkiii says:

Does that kind of thing exclusively happen when you are by yourself and engaging with somebody you believed to be trustworthy?
          I don’t think sexual harassment is really the same thing as random thuggery. There is a more harrowing narrative to do with manipulation and control.

• DanMan says:

You also say you don’t know men like that. As they say: Opportunity makes the thief. Same thing here, unfortunately. You may normally not steal things, but if the risk is very low you might do it anyway, if just for the kick. If you add things like drugs to the equation, you can end up in a dark place really fast.

• joa says:

So you think most men might rape if there were no risk of punishment?
        Certainly in the case of stealing, many people engage in it when there is very low risk of getting in trouble (e.g. piracy).

• DanMan says:

People are different, of course, and the inhibition towards theft is much smaller. But in general I do think so. That’s why there’s such a big rape culture in Alaska, for example: no consequences.

• Kitsunin says:

My take-away was that it’s pretty damn understandable for women not to want to go out on their own. A lot of guys, being relatively safe in clubs or wherever, don’t really get why they want to be accompanied everywhere, why it matters at all that, for instance, someone goes with them to the restroom.

It’s a small lesson, but I think this story does a good job at pushing home how such a situation would be less scary if there had just been a person you know around.

• ribby says:

you think the reason girls all go to the rest-room together is a safety thing? Interesting idea but I’m pretty sure that’s not it

• Kitsunin says:

I admit I don’t know “from the inside” but I, like most guys, have always thought it was kind of odd. Well, there was a Reddit thread on the topic, and the consensus there, at least, seemed to be that it was a safety thing. No, not at nice restaurants, but at events, bars, nightclubs and the like. Apparently a lot of people are at least worried about the possibility of a guy walking in and blocking the exit, that leading to rape.

Dunno if actual statistics agree with what people were saying, but since I’ve asked, the people I know agree that’s part of the reason, possibly together with having company in line and other stuff.

• minkiii says:

For me, walking in pairs is for safety – especially if you are in a pub or club where you do not know where the toilets are, and you have to wander round like a loser looking for it. Because if you are by yourself, chances are someone will make a ‘comment’ when you walk to the wrong place and have to do an embarrassing U-turn. This is not so bad in a pub in the day time but on a Saturday night when you are dressed up it can feel intimidating wondering about alone.
          At best, that interaction might just be a goofy comment to either a) be friendly or b) impress their friends, and at worst it is someone hitting on you or insulting you. If you are shy you just do not enjoy random people “joking” with you, so you stick with a friend. It never happens when there is two of you.

• joa says:

Yeah Kitsunin if women are going to the bathroom together it means they want to talk about you (or some eligible male one of them’s got their eye on).

• Harzel174 says:

The point is that you feel exactly as you did.

To put that less pretentiously, this isn’t a carefully constructed narrative meant to convey some deeper message to the player. That’s not what vignettes are for, they exist to simply show you a slice of reality. If you felt like you were slammed out of nowhere with this horrible act… well, there it is. That’s part of the point. This sort of thing actually happens, all the time, and it feels this shocking and out of nowhere in real life too. Reality doesn’t have to follow nuanced plot structure.

As a man, my takeaway was in how absurd victim blaming really is. I think this perfectly shows the futility in thinking that the situation could’ve been avoided if you just did something different, which not only is a horrible mantra thrown at victims by outsiders, but is a common internal monologue the victim themselves experiences. Here, in the game, as the player you have control over what the protagonist says. What they do. You can even start over. You can do something different, but it doesn’t matter. That horrible thing is still going to slam into your psyche. That this happened on a perfectly ordinary night to a perfectly ordinary woman due to a series of perfectly ordinary events no matter which way it’s spun. That this monster actually does exist, even if you don’t know one… or more terribly, that you might and not know it. That the entire thing can just be over, with no consequences to the attacker, and just be treated like you spilled a drink on your clothes or said something awkward while drunk.

So if this shook your worldview and left you stunned and in denial that this is exactly what women have to worry about happening all the time… that’s the point.

7. blind_boy_grunt says:

i once had my collar bone broken by a couple of assholes after a night out. The physical damage was one thing, but for quite a time the streets felt different. A sense of security, of knowing going out means coming home drunk or crawling at worst, just stripped away. I kind of got used to it, because i realized there were some signs that i had missed, that i just didn’t run away soon enough, that i can recognize guys who want to get into trouble and stay clear of them. I can’t imagine having that all of the time, knowing most guys are stronger, that they most of the time don’t have special signs to pick them out, that the “nice guy” maybe is just acting. I know as a woman i would be one of the real paranoid ones, but because i’m a guy it was just a phase.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Men aren’t immune for sure but it is a lot easier for us. Going out in town is fun but you also have to respect that there are a thousand and one idiots about (look at all the police presence for evidence of that), alcohol makes everything worse and that you need to watch yourself. This applies to everyone, however it’s blatantly worse for women, they will be targeted. If a man gets beaten up and didn’t bring it on himself, it’s probably just a case of wrong place, wrong time. Look at all the drink spiking that goes on to show how women are targeted for this sort of treatment, nobody intentionally targets a mans drink unless it’s his mates looking to get him wrecked.

• joa says:

I have to disagree with the idea that men are only targeted for violence if they are “asking for it” or otherwise it’s just a simple mistake. Certainly I know the guys who have been beaten up and mugged intentionally when out at night, and they were just going about their business.

• Cederic says:

So it’s worse for women that someone might be attracted to them, than it is for men that someone might just want to punch them in the face?

Go check relative rates of violence by gender again and see if that helps you understand why I disagree with you.

8. April March says:

I like that you’re saying “This is a stupid good-for-nothing fake artist that would never make money except by swindling gullible idiots over the Internet” and I’m listening “This sounds like a different, unique and difficult artist who would be best served by bypassing usual content gatekeepers entirely and focusing her work directly at her audience.”

(But it’s rather unlikely Nina Freeman will get a Patreon account, given that she works at Kickstarter.)

• April March says:

Oh great, the comment I was responding to was removed and I can’t edit my old post so I look like an insane person.

• Flit says:

You don’t look all that crazy, don’t worry. I get the gist of the post you replied to by reading yours!

9. brgillespie says:

I guess I’m not the intended target for this message. I know that “no” means “no”, “not interested” means “not interested”, and I know that sexual assault is wrong.

gritz says:

Good thing you posted about it though!

• AngoraFish says:

It seems like there are two (3?) people here making some kind of point though…

• Cederic says:

Being told, “Play this game, it helps you understand how awful it is being ” is insulting when you’re not a danger to that section of society and you lack the protection they enjoy while facing statistically higher chances of being targeted.

I don’t need to play a game to know what it’s like to be unable to provide the right answer. If I wrote a game on the subject it wouldn’t get a review on RPS.

• Big Murray says:

I fall into the same boat, I think. It’s strange how many people feel threatened by that message being put out there and getting attention though.

• minkiii says:

I don’t think it is supposed to be a moralizing story to tell ppl to not harass or assault others. I think it is just supposed to convey the feeling you are left with after you experience a random attack, and wonder if there is anything you could have done.
      It’s interesting that this feeling will be familiar to so many, and yet also a feeling which (luckily) so many people will never experience – this game is a great opportunity to be put in someone else’s shoes.
      Plus I think being such a hidden crime, it’s a worthwhile subject to shed some light on, even if the ending leaves little more than a “well, shit happens”.

10. Mr Coot says:

I did find this game disturbing and the simple sound effects were very powerful, especially the last, suggestive of an anxious rapid pulse or beating heart. The non-consensual scene with its rapid movement and follow-on through the scenes and the effect of having clicking do nothing I thought evoked a sense of anxiety, or dizziness and loss of control (and anxiety over the loss of control) far beyond what I could imagine the simple art and interface was capable of.

Unlike Mr Meer, I am a gentleman of Unusual History, so I know what it is like to be on the ‘other side’ with a body (formerly!) in respect of which some men may take or attempt to take sexual liberties purely because it is in public. That aspect did not shock me. But I was really left with the feeling of ‘How can this even happen?’ in respect of the bouncer. I don’t know if there is a cultural difference here, but bouncers are meant to represent a point of safety when things get dodgy on a night out. Security work in the hospitality industry is very regulated here (Oz) so that this bouncer is portrayed as a serial offender is even more shocking. Perhaps Ms Freeman is raising the issues of what happens when the figure who should be the protector is the perpetrator and also of the reporting of sexual assault (Has no one reported the bouncer before? If not, why? Do they think it is pointless? Accept the behaviour as normative? Find reporting too distressing?).

I think there is something to explore in the response to the assault by the character of Jenna. She is indifferent and trivialises the assault as something that Liz just ‘went along with’ and focuses on the bouncer being undesirable and her ‘wtf’ is about why anyone would go with him. It made me wonder whether Jenna’s gender was a placeholder. Why have we (commenters) not censured her? Jenna’s response to the sexual assault is not made acceptable because she is a female and a friend.

• Cederic says:

I am a gentleman of Unusual History

Splendidly put Sir, I like your style :)

11. Michael Fogg says:

I’m here with a friendly reminder that the showcased piece, however chilling and thought-provoking, is not in fact a game. To call it interactive fiction is misleading, as the interaction is token. It can’t be a game as it has no game mechanics. What it is is a short story with audio-visual elements. That’s not a value judgment. That’s not an attempt to ‘uphole the status quo’. It’s just what it is.

gritz says:

Whew, thanks for letting us know, Arbiter of Wot is Games!

• Sam says:

I disagree and think the interaction is vital. (Spoilers)

The game starts with a series of choices about how you travel, what you wear, and your plans with regards drinking. Whatever you choose doesn’t actually change what happens, but the inclusion of those choices are still important. Firstly they allow the player to feel more connected with the character by having her actions more closely match what you would do – compare to a traditional short story where it can be easier to feel the character made a poor choice and blame that. Secondly the lack of impact in those choices is a message about how short of locking yourself away indefinitely, awful things can happen.

When trying to meet Jenna, you again have a series of choices for what text messages you send, and again they have no impact. These interactions serve to develop a sense of worried anxiety. Without the interaction you would lack the extra layer of anxiety with regards worrying which message is the “right” one to send. Is Jenna getting the messages and just doesn’t want to respond? Did I say something wrong? The very act of being responsible for repeatedly sending messages gives a rapid pace to the scene.

When the sexual assault happens all interaction is removed. Even the cursor vanishes. Up to now you had complete control over the pace at which the story progressed. Things only happened when you click forward. But now that’s taken away from you completely and you’re forced to just observe what happens. A very strong feeling of powerlessness, created primarily through careful manipulation of interactivity.

If you took just the text, images and sound to create a non-interactive series of pages that tell the same story it would be significantly less affecting. It would still tell the story of course, like having someone read out the script of a film.

You can still argue that not all interactive media is a game, but that’s just a boring discussion of semantics. After all Wittgenstein used “game” as an example of a category for which there is not a clear definition but is still a useful term, and he was probably more versed in the philosophy of language than a random internet commenter (no offence.)

• Mr Coot says:

Your analysis of the choices and the reason for them, made me think about that aspect a little more. I would add thirdly, that the lack of impact in your choice of how you dress (not that I am a good judge of these things, but one option seems to be the more ‘modest’ one) and your attitude to alcohol (ease up or get hammered) is an important affirmation that the act of sexual assault is initiated by the perpetrator, not precipitated by the victim.

This crappy little game is saying so much – it is remarkable and very clever!

• minkiii says:

Yes! I 100% agree – the fact that it happens regardless of what you are wearing is what makes this so powerful.
          This game resonated with me because when I experienced ‘trouble’, there was no rhyme or reason to it (both times was *very* covered up, and I do not have a playboy face at all).

I think this is why being catcalled is so scary… you don’t see it coming, and don’t know what happens next.

• Cederic says:

So basically this game describes my life. Every conversation is a sequence of uncertainty, what I should say, whether I said the right thing, what the actual response and consequences of what I said are.

But I have Aspergers. It means that I deal with this shit in every conversation throughout my life, not just when I’m out in a pub, trying to understand why someone’s talking to me. I don’t go to pubs very often because of this.

I haven’t played this game. I don’t want to. The way it’s portrayed, presented and recommended insinuates that as a man I’m meant to feel ashamed and guilty about it, yet I’m identifying with the victim and have to deal with her issues far more than the game’s author would pretend that she does.

I’m agitated now.

• Sam says:

I don’t know the author’s intentions, but from playing it I didn’t feel any attempt to create that kind of “male guilt”.
          Obviously the abuser’s behaviour is presented as awful (and it is unequivocally awful – this isn’t about someone saying “hey cutie” to a passerby,) but it didn’t try to apply that awfulness to all men. If it’s trying to make anyone feel guilty, it’s the people represented by the friend Jenna who doesn’t take the attack seriously and fails to be there for her friend – both literally and on an emotional level.

I think the aim of it is to try to convey some of the feeling of this horrible thing happening. You are very much meant to identify with the protagonist and feel her anxiety and hurt. So don’t avoid it for fear that it’s trying to preach some message of guilt. However if you are already dealing with anxiety and related problems in your life, maybe don’t play it. It is successful at creating negative emotions, and is unlikely to brighten up anyone’s day.

• minkiii says:

“I’m identifying with the victim and have to deal with her issues far more than the game’s author would pretend that she does” – I find this comment utterly bizarre – wouldn’t you think since the author took the time and effort to make the game means she probably identifies with the protagonist at least much as the average player..?
          And considering you came to this judgement without even playing it… the mind boggles.

Skabooga says:

You want it to be one way:

• Kala says:

I’m just here with a friendly reminder that you are wrong.

12. quietproponent says:

Haven’t/won’t be playing this (no flash), but from the description/comments, it seems like an uninspired rehashing of the classic Baader-Meinhof, by Don Delillo. This isn’t to say this detracts from the contained messages, but rather that a stronger (I was left physically weak for minutes after reading it) and more cohesive experience can be gained from reading the source. A mirror can be found here link to docs.google.com

• Mr Coot says:

Yer I didn’t really get the Baader Meinhof vibe. Not unless you take the last paragraph as being an aggressive act on the part of the male art lover ie. appropriating what was most meaningful to the female art lover, and forcibly insinuating himself in what she sees as a landscape of redemption.

Game/interactive story is more like an anti-matter version of A Rape in Cyberspace 1993-style. But this time the community doesn’t give a shit, shrugs off the assault, and tells the assaulted avatar’s owner ‘He does that to everyone’. And Mr Bungle keeps violating random avatars everyday thereafter.

I would have to think about whether that last BM paragraph is an act of violence or genuine repentance. (But either/or, the effect on the female art-lover may be the same). Game/interactive story is its own work, imo, not derivative. Bouncer is closer to the irl projection of the proto-internet troll, Mr Bungle.

gritz says:

Ugh if I had a nickel for every game that rips of Don Delilo

13. riak says:

“Because I am a man I do not experience those same risks; I am, largely speaking, free to socialise and dance and drink without becoming a target for someone else’s desires, and without great risk that they will act on them without my permission”

You’re basically saying that you feel guilty because you can’t be raped.

You feel sick because you are sick. You weren’t born sick, though. A lot of propaganda has made you so.

• minkiii says:

Where does it imply he feels guilty?
      Also.. anyone can be raped.

• DanMan says:

True. 30% in the US military have to deal with sexual harassment. A fair share of it directed towards men, too. Mostly women are affected though.

To me, rape is worse than murder, because the victim will have to live with it for the rest of his/her life.

• DanMan says:

Erm, it may have been 13%. Can’t remember. I heard that on a TV documentary.