Hearthstone’s Blackrock Mountain Expansion Is Out

Hello, internet. Well, it’s that time of year again: Hearts brim with good tidings, fires crackle in the hearth of every home. This can only mean one thing: It’s Hearthstone Expansion Weekend!

My Hearthstone Expansion Weekend was spent as it always is; entertaining orphans and strays in my home. We rounded them up off the street and ushered them inside, where I washed their feet with my hair and fed them carrots by hand.

“But why ma’am?” asked one of the wretches, “why, today of all days, are you so kind to us? When every other day you leave us lying cold and hungry in the streets?”

“Because!” I bellowed as they gathered around me, “The Hearthstone expansion is out. And from now until the end of the four-day weekend, Blizzard has bestowed upon us the greatest gift of all: A Reason To Avoid Seeing Your Extended Family At Easter.”

The first “wing” of Blackrock Mountain [official site] (by which Blizzard means ‘pack’) is now open, which will give you access to first few boss battles and new cards in the Blackrock Depths. After this, new content will release weekly over the course of the next four weeks. Like the old Naxxramas expansion you can buy it a few different ways: each of the wings will be sold separately go 700 in-game cold (or roughly $7), while all five wings can be bought together for $25. You can check out the game’s new cinematic here.

1. TillEulenspiegel says:

I’m so ambivalent about Hearthstone. I want to like it, really I do. It’s pretty, it’s fun, I even bought Naxxramas recently because there are so many good cards that fit into any deck.

But the price of booster packs stinks. Pay real money for five random cards in four tiers of rarity, with the upper two extremely difficult to collect. And BRM has very very few cards that are useful outside a dragon deck, making $25 a dubious investment.

Honestly, all I want is online Netrunner. Amazing game with moderately priced, non-random expansions. That’s a business model I support.

• Funso Banjo says:

A few of us RPS gamers play Netrunner on iPad. We have a small group, using an app called CardWarden. Check it out.

• LTK says:

You’re severely overestimating how much the new cards focus on dragon synergy. The Grim Patron, the Priest card Resurrect, and the Emperor legendary from this wing are already very worthwhile on their own and have nothing to do with dragons.

• LTK says:

Still, paying $25 for this adventure is a big ask, and I’m personally just going to use my saved up gold for it. But at least it’s a better deal than buying packs, given that you’re getting guaranteed legendaries out of the Blackrock wings.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

Emperor is cool. There are a handful of other cards which will see play in the long term. But basically everyone agrees that Grim Patron is a gimmick (Flamestrike / Hellfire / etc wipes them all out), and there’s some real garbage in upcoming wings.

Admittedly, I am still missing a lot of commons and rares, so 7 booster packs is a much better buy for me than a single wing of BRM.

doxasticpirate says:

Does anyone else think that, maybe sometime between Naxx and the expansion, Blizz throttled back the likelihood of getting epic and legendary cards in packs? That kinda killed the thrill of opening new packs.

But not enough to get to stop playing. (Grumble)

• LTK says:

I’m pretty sure that’s the same as it ever was. It’s pretty easy to find out if it got changed, given that streamers open tons of packs regularly and their contents do get analysed once in a while.

• Immobile Piper says:

I made a similar comment on the previous Blackrock post. It’s really quite disheartening to throw a ton of money/time into card packs and get your-least-favourite-class-here cards by the bucketload.

• ChairmanYang says:

I totally agree with you; Hearthstone has many qualities, but fundamentally it’s a game where I can either pump vast amounts of money into packs (with no guarantee of getting what I want) or play with a constant disadvantage.

An electronic Netrunner made with the production values, UI design skill, and smooth experience of Hearthstone would be brilliant, and the infinitely more appealing business model would make me spend hundreds of dollars on it. It helps that Netrunner is a fundamentally much better game than Hearthstone, too.

• AngoraFish says:

I’ve been doing dailies for a couple of weeks and saved up 1100g, enough gold to access the first week and over half of the way to entry into the second week. I expect that if I keep up my dailies I’ll probably finish the last week or two of the expansion a couple of weeks late, but I’ll ultimately have all the same cards without paying a cent – same thing I did with Naxxramas. Along the way I’ve had a bunch of fun casual games without investing a cent. Sure, I’ve yet to accumulate enough dust to craft Dr Boom, but I’m not invested enough in the game to have any pretentions of hitting the legendary tiers anyhow. I actually prefer it this way, as not paying cash for packs gives me some incentive to actually play.

• DiiGiiTAL says:

I have to agree. But as someone who plays A LOT of Hearthstone it was money well spent for me.

In the past year since its full release there is no game I have played more.

2. Funso Banjo says:

Only one day late on this report, RPS. You’re getting better.

Sorry, this is a bit mean. But seriously, you’re my main PC gaming site. How can you be an entire day late to this news.

3. Mitthrawn says:

The expansion so far is good, but 4 days? It took me an hour and a half to do the (admittedly quite fun) adventure and class challenges.

• wraithgr says:

This. I got a lot less challenge than from Naxx and the cards are so far pretty underwhelming…

• Bull0 says:

I agree. I think I got through the new bosses and class challenges in about an hour. I did both class challenges first time… the only boss I died on was Thaurissan (is it thaurissan? Who does the 30-damage power if you kill his wife?) and that fight felt more… weird and awkward than difficult. My decks aren’t good by any stretch, I have lots of good cards from the core game and all the naxx cards but I barely use the naxx cards, and I haven’t got any gnomes vs goblins cards. So it’s not like I’m some kind of pro, it’s just not a very difficult set of fights. Hopefully the other wings will offer more of a challenge.

• AngoraFish says:

I completed every match with an aggro/rush deck within 45 mins, so you’re really only paying for new cards.

Carra says:

I completed them plus class challenges on first try, it was very easy. If you want a challenge, try the heroic mode. I’m nowhere near finishing that.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

And yet still not available for phones for some reason.

• Kwazimoto says:

I’m playing Hearthstone on my HTC One (M7), and my son plays it on his iPhone 5 and we’re not experiencing any issues (not like when I got Magic 2015 via The Amazon store; it crashed quite frequently.)

5. Mitch.sp says:

If someone wants to play a much deeper F2P cardgame alternative to HeartStone, I can fervorous suggest Might and Magic Duel of Champions.

With more that 2 years of life, great art, 2 Base Set, several expansions, Standard and Legacy game modes, every card in the game available to free players and with an economic model really generous for new players.

Is based in the lore of Might and Magic saga, and gameplay is really interesting, with 6 distinctive factions, and actually with 10 heroes for each faction, offering lots of options for gameplay and deckbuilding.

Using a referal link for other player give new accounts 6 starter decks, one for each faction, plus another free one.
    link to signup.duelofchampions.com

and here is a redeem code still active for more free packs:
    TH4NK5-70K-D0C-F4CEB00K-L3G1ON

To redeem them after creating your account you can go to the ‘SHOP’ in-game and click on the blue ‘REDEEM CODE’ button on the bottom.

6. olgarWright says:

ᴍᴏɴᴇʏ ɪs ᴠᴇʀʏ ɪᴍᴘᴏʀᴛᴀɴᴛ ғᴏʀ ᴇᴠᴇʀʏ ᴘᴇʀsᴏɴ.I ᴇᴀʀɴ ᴀ ʟᴏᴛ ʟᴏ ᴍᴏɴᴇʏ ᴛʜʀᴏᴜɢʜ ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴊᴏʙs.I ᴇᴀʀɴ ᴀᴛ ʟᴇᴀsᴛ 90$ ᴘᴇʀ ʜᴏᴜʀ,I ᴡᴏʀᴋ ᴀᴛ ʟᴇᴀsᴛ 5 ᴛᴏ 6 ʜᴏᴜʀs ᴀ ᴅᴀʏ ᴀɴᴅ ғᴜʟғɪʟʟ ᴍʏ ᴀʟʟ ɴᴇᴄᴇssɪᴛɪᴇs.ɪғ ʏᴏᴜ ᴀʟsᴏ ᴄᴀɴ ɢᴇᴛ ᴀɴ ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴊᴏʙ ᴘʟᴢ ᴠɪsɪᴛ ᴛʜᴇ sɪᴛᴇ ɢɪᴠᴇɴ ʙᴇʟᴏᴡ…….
    ►►►► www.netcash99.com