StarCraft 2: Legacy Of The Void Closed Beta Is Live

Sound the klaxon – I keep mine next to the bed – the StarCraft s2: Legacy of the Void [official site] beta is go.

You’ll know whether you have access to the beta by trying to log in to the beta, then if it doesn’t work then you probably don’t. Try watching a few hours of Netflix to pass the time instead. Alternatively, check the StarCraft 2 region selection drop-down menu in your Battle.net desktop app. The Legacy of the Void beta will be listed under the “In Development” header. Blizzard has already flagged accounts for access to the game and won’t be sending beta keys until later this beta cycle.

If you haven’t already opted in for the beta then you want to go to your Beta Profile Settings in your Battle.net account and check the box for the StarCraft universe. If at that point you get in before I do please send me a pillow to scream into.

1. kiwi12 says:

Same 3 races since 1998 until today with more or less individual units.

sc2: wol 60$ + hots 40$ + lotv 40$ = 140$

The majority will pay those 40$ for 2 new units pre race and changes that could be done with the SC2-Editor in less than 3 days.

Amazing how comparatively few content for such an addon price you can sell if there is a certain name behind it. Some units arent even new and just taken out of old campaign missions…

• killias2 says:

It’s not just 40 dollars for the new units. The expansions make all kinds of other changes. Hell, the new expansion has all sorts of crazy new ideas. Like you’ll start with 12 workers now, and mineral and gas values are being changed to further incentivize expansion. They’re also adding archon mode, allowing two people to control one base in a well-supported multiplayer system (not just UMS or Arcade or whatever).

Of course, this is all ignoring the campaigns, which are great. Sure, the story is painful, but it’s an RTS and a AAA game in 2015. C’est la vie. I don’t really know what else you’d expect from an expansion pack to an RTS, and neither Heart of the Swarm nor Legacy of the Void require the base game anyway.

• kiwi12 says:

Like i said:
        “[…]changes that could be done with the SC2-Editor in less than 3 days.”

12 wroker, mineral value…. CRAZY NEW IDEAS
        Oh yes, archon mode… this mode the prequel already had and they sell us now again ;) Playing the same units over and over again cant be changed by adding another mode.

I ignored the campaign on purpose. Games like SC, Battlefield etc with a heavy focus on multiplayer can have a good campain, then its good, or a bad one, then it wouldnt matter.
        Btw AAA in 2015… look at the date of the engine and graphics.

I would expect something like DoW-Soulstorm. 40$ for 2 new races with unique mechanics+1 new tier with new units for everyone+ additional units for old races+ maps…. and those are only the things that affect multiplayer.

• Asurmen says:

It seems like you’re intentionally exaggerating the importance of the multiplayer over the single player. People return and keep playing for the multiplayer, but the majority of Blizzard’s efforts and therefore costs is towards the singleplayer.

The pricing seems to be correct to me. Initial main game and 2 expansions.

• kiwi12 says:

Right, i heard so many people talking about how awesome the SC2 singleplayer/campaign is….

Mby its the other way round?

• Asurmen says:

I don’t think you read my post correctly. Yes, people stay for the multiplayer but it’s the singleplayer that drives costs because that’s where the development time goes towards. The game is priced as an expansion because that’s what it is. I honestly cannot see what your complaint is.

• aepervius says:

Asurmen, single player drive the cost only if you have a lot of software development, and/or a lot of assets to do.
            If the assets change are minimal, and the code change are minimal, which it sounds like from all the version proposed as the engine and the majority of the assets are reusable, that leaves you maybe cutscene as big cost and the new small race assets.

It certainly look not a lot when you look at the price tag of 40$.

Don#t get me wrong I think they spent quite a few developping those expansion, but unless they are idiot, they knew from the starts those expansions would come and would have from the starts have a good skeleton structure and engine to lower the cost of further dev.

My take is that they most probably make a lot more money on the expansion than they did on the original game.

Now , I don’t begrudge them that : if the market bear it, then good for them. For me it meant I am not part of the market from the get go.

• Asurmen says:

aepervius, even with reusing assets singleplayer is still greater Dev time than multi.

BlueTemplar says:

Wait, THOSE are the “crazy new ideas”? I hope they have better ones, StarCraft 2 multiplayer is becoming so fossilized it’s not even funny…

Oh I guess I’ll just get it for the campaigns and maybe new Arcade features, and if I want innovative RTS multiplayer, I’ll just play Zero-K instead… (I’ll probably should try Achron and Grey Goo too)

• airmikee says:

So your complaint is that 17 years later Starcraft 2 and all of its expansions cost the same as Starcraft 1 and all of its expansions when they were new?

Can you think of any other product that hasn’t increased in price over the past 17 years? Cause my soda, snacks, gasoline, health insurance, TV’s, computer parts, and just about everyfuckingthing else costs way more than it did 17 years ago. I find it actually incredibly amazing that AAA video games haven’t followed the same price hikes, but that’s not good enough for you, is it? Things have to be cheaper over time, even though that’s just not the case in reality. Ah well, maybe when you graduate from the 6th grade you’ll figure that out.

• SirBryghtside says:

To be fair, they’re releasing Legacy of the Void as a standalone game – you don’t need to have Wings of Liberty or Heart of the Swarm to play it. Sure, people who bought every game as they came out had to pay a lot in the long run, but that’s the price you pay for early adoption.

Plus, as one of the apparently few people who enjoys the campaigns of all the StarCraft games, I’d definitely say that each one has been well worth it – and I expect no different from LotV.

• Reefpirate says:

The bizarre thing about this thread is that it’s a pretty well-known fact that Blizz makes the huge majority of their cash off of the single-player campaigns for the Starcraft franchise. I’ve never finished one of their campaigns, but I know very well that I’m in the majority as a multiplayer only type (even though there are a lot of us and we are indeed very loud… ).

LotV looks to be the best thing that has happened to SC2 e-sports. I can’t wait to watch the pros go at it with the new changes.

• Reefpirate says:

Dammit RPS! You had an edit button at one point… And besides an edit button how about we get a freaking 2015 comments system working on here??!

2. olgarWright says:

ᴍᴏɴᴇʏ ɪs ᴠᴇʀʏ ɪᴍᴘᴏʀᴛᴀɴᴛ ғᴏʀ ᴇᴠᴇʀʏ ᴘᴇʀsᴏɴ.I ᴇᴀʀɴ ᴀ ʟᴏᴛ ʟᴏ ᴍᴏɴᴇʏ ᴛʜʀᴏᴜɢʜ ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴊᴏʙs.I ᴇᴀʀɴ ᴀᴛ ʟᴇᴀsᴛ 90$ ᴘᴇʀ ʜᴏᴜʀ,I ᴡᴏʀᴋ ᴀᴛ ʟᴇᴀsᴛ 5 ᴛᴏ 6 ʜᴏᴜʀs ᴀ ᴅᴀʏ ᴀɴᴅ ғᴜʟғɪʟʟ ᴍʏ ᴀʟʟ ɴᴇᴄᴇssɪᴛɪᴇs.ɪғ ʏᴏᴜ ᴀʟsᴏ ᴄᴀɴ ɢᴇᴛ ᴀɴ ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴊᴏʙ ᴘʟᴢ ᴠɪsɪᴛ ᴛʜᴇ sɪᴛᴇ ɢɪᴠᴇɴ ʙᴇʟᴏᴡ…….
    ►►►► www.netcash99.com

3. Moraven says:

I have a Hearthstone pillow you can scream into.

The game is a lot faster now, in regards to the economic changes. It is hard to say if it is to fast. I can’t imagine this being released until the winter, after WCS 2015. Lots of time to balance and change things. Adept is fun to use. Carriers are finally decent.

Archon mode, sure it was in Brood War Team Melee, which not a lot of people played anyway. Difference here is Archon mode is built into the matchmaking system (assuming it will have its own ladder and ranking at release).

4. Neutrino says:

SC2 is the game I most anticipated and which has most disappointed.

The units seem horribly one dimensional. Terran has no air and ground capable strike-fighter analog and few units with interesting abilities like the old Science Vessel. Zerg units also lack interesting abilities like the old Queen and Defiler. Some of the animations are really weak, the attack animations for Zerg Queen and Hydralisk consist of them just jerking their heads back and forth! Multiplayer focuses on rock paper scissors unit combinations and micro to the almost complete exclusion of any other considerations, yet in multiplayer you don’t even have access to many of the campaign units resulting in mutiplayer combat that is extremely formulaic and short.

The abusive licensing model DRM is just the icing on the cake.

Storyline issues aside, the style of the WOL single player campaign is actually quite nice with the way that you acquire upgrades with credits and research and the missions have some replay value, but it isn’t sufficient to redeem the game as a whole and what you learn in the single-player is mostly useless in multiplayer.

Such a wasted opportunity.