What Are You Playing This Weekend?

Hallo there! You might have noticed things were a bit sluggish around here yesterday: we were on holiday. Mostly. We’ll be quiet on Monday too, rolling around with swollen bellies full of chocolate eggs rather than posting. That doesn’t mean we can’t still play video games, mind. So, what are you playing this weekend?

Me, I’ve just bought a swish gaming laptop to replace my ailing PC and should put it through its paces. So far all I’ve confirmed is that Dota 2 looks really very nice at highest settings.

I suppose games like Crysis are traditional “Let’s see what this baby can do” PC tests, but I don’t want to play Crysis. I’m due to replay The Witcher 2 ahead of the third game arriving in May, to change a few decisions I made to carry over with the save importing, and my old PC certainly couldn’t run that too well. Or Grand Theft Auto V is coming in a fortnight, and that’ll certainly do it.

For the curious, I bought a Gigabyte P34W with a 256GB SSD. I have never owned something so expensive and am terrified by this, but my PC is the tool my entire career rests upon so I should be okay with investing in something good, it’s fine, it’s fine, it’ll be fine. This should able to record 1080p 60fps video too, which’ll come in handy for all those minimalist walking simulators I make videos of.

Anyway, what are you playing this weekend?

1. ran93r says:

I’m currently wearing my dirty console peasant rags and playing through Bloodborne but I am tempted to fire up Dark Souls 2 again, might even pay for the upgrade.

• KaiUno says:

I was playing Bloodborne… Then I moved over to Scholar. Let’s give Bloodborne a little more time to settle, what with the loading-times patch not being out and all.

Dark Souls 2 has been cooked to perfection and there’s a seat waiting for you at the fancy table!

• Fiyenyaa says:

Deep into Bloodborne myself, 9 or so bosses down; I cannot stop now, whether they end up fixing the loading times or not; it’s got its hooks into me!
      What a game – it’s a real shame it (very probably) won’t come to PC because I’d love to play it with a solid 60 fps and shorter loading times.

• KaiUno says:

Yeah, I hear ya. But I got a PC buddy I just turned on to the Souls games. We’ve been doin’ the jolly co-op thing, playing through it together (which is, in effect, playing through it twice from bonfire to bonfire) and I can’t leave him hanging. 60fps Bloodborne would mean an instant double dip for me as well. In a heartbeat. But alas, that’s not in the cards. It eh… makes my blood boil.

• Dale Winton says:

Scholar of the first sin upgrade is worth it for the hilarious 4vs1 boss fights alone

• Grim_22 says:

Even though I really enjoyed Bloodbornes fast paced combat, I still feel that Dark Souls 2 is the superior game. There’s just not enough diversity in Bloodborne – you just build your character after what weapon you use, and there really aren’t a lot of them (even though they’re all well designed). In the end, every character feels about the same.

Now, before you tell me that you do the exact same thing in Dark Souls 2, my opinion is that your entire play style changes depending on what you invest in. You’re a slow heavy hitter, a nimble counter-attacking ninja, a spellslinger extraordinaire or absolutely anything in between. In Bloodborne, you’re always a really fast hunter with a melee weapon and a firearm.

• Monggerel says:

The problem with Bloodborne, I think (having just finished a youtube LP), is that someone decided they can make an entire game out of the combined color palette of… Blighttown and Lost Bastille.
        The thing is made of mud. Literally. It makes any splashes of color (eg. the Moon) stand out like crazy, but it also make the game really unpleasant to look at for an extended period of time.

• Grim_22 says:

That’s a good point, as well. I’ve nothing against dark and gritty games, but I think Bloodborne took it just a tad too far. An important aspect of DS2 was those brief moments of respite from all the horrifying challenges, such as finding an incredible view or just looking at the ocean in Majula. Nothing really accomplished that in Bloodborne – defintitely not the Hunters Dream, even though I can imagine that was the point of it.

• Monggerel says:

The first time you spot the Bloodmoon (spoilers? don’t google that, duh) is very impressive.
            Like seeing Things Betwixt for the first time.
            Or Majula.
            Or Heide’s Ruin.
            Drangleic Castle.
            Shrine of Amana.
            Brume Tower.
            Eleum Loyce.
            Dragon Aerie.

Ash Lake.
            Anor Londo.
            Painted World.
            The Abyss
            And Kiln of the First Flame. That… uh… yeah. That one stays.

Actually, the Kiln is a good comparison, because it’s nothing but soot and melted slag and charred ruin blanketed in faint twilight. And it is a stark and emotionally resonant image, despite being gloomier and more forlorn than anything else in the Souls games or Bloodborne that I can think of.

• Grim_22 says:

It was indeed impressive, but I’d say it made everything seem even more sinister than the other way around. It was a nice contrast from all the brown and gray, though.

• Grim_22 says:

I guess I’m saying that I would’ve liked a moment like the one I felt in DS2 when I first entered that area with the Cathedral of Blue, whatever it was called. I felt like Keanu Reeves with the amount of “Woah” uttered.

• Monggerel says:

That would be Heide. And yeah! That’s I think what I’m trying to get at. That “whoa” is an important part of these games, and I feel it’s missing from the last iteration.
            Whereas the pariah of the series, Dark Souls II, keeps dropping it on you, but does so with really good timing and enough stuff inbetween to not make the “whoa” perfunctory.
            Whoa.

• Geebs says:

The Kiln of the First Flame is one of the most ridiculously atmospheric game locations I have ever seen. You can tell exactly what the pattern of the flames was.

• zentropy says:

The first level of BB is better designed and has more atmosphere than all of DkS2.

2. JesterRaiin says:

After coming to terms with my inability to play modern cRPGs like “Pillars”, I’ll try my strengths at “Life is Strange”. For what it’s worth, I know only a little about the game, but I’m in a mood of experimenting and I think I’ll try to act a bit like a dick if there will be an in-game possibility for that.

3. Om says:

I’d set aside some time to really dive into Pillars of Eternity but Mount & Blade has appeared suddenly on the flanks, pleading for one last attempt at conquering Calradia.

Lars Westergren says:

The little spare time I have will go to Pillars, now that it is patched.

• inf says:

Patched, but still broken. It’s funny to me that the game doesn’t even do scaling right, among many other examples. Those of us playing the game on higher than 1080p resolutions are experiencing blurry UI assets and at times unreadable text. You know it’s an Obsidian game when they can’t even get something fundamental like UI scaling right.

I have such a love / hate relationship with Obsidian games it’s not even funny. How people make such great games conceptually, but then keep fucking up the execution and polish, it boggles the mind.

Think i’ll try again in a year.

• Shakes999 says:

Yeah, it’s so broken *wanking motion*

• inf says:

You’re right, why bother with critical thinking? I mean, up to a few days ago, multiple passive abilities would get disabled because you equipped some items by double clicking them. At least the game is fun when you switch it on easy, right? Why play a game when you can sleepwalk through it, right? Just ignore stats and all that pesky text that isn’t even being scaled properly to native resolutions.

Some of us actually want to actually play this as a challenge, and with everything that comes with true CRPG gameplay.

• iucounu says:

So, I’m playing Pillars on Easy mode and having lots of fun. I haven’t come across any game-breaking bugs (I can only think of one bug so far) and if I was affected by the passives bug I didn’t notice because it’s Easy mode.

This thing about sleepwalking through the game: I think I’m having more fun than I would if I had to think really carefully about how to win each fight. I’m more enjoying the dialogue and the quest writing and splattering xaurips across the map with my somewhat OP party.

• Feargus says:

If you get a chance, can you send some screenshots over to support@obsidian.net so that we can see what got are seeing with the scaling? Maybe with your dxdiag as well? Thanks!

• inf says:

Already did, there are also several threads covering this on your forums (most recent one: link to forums.obsidian.net ), some even going back to the backer beta.

I think you know that the problem is that you don’t have any higher than 1080p resolution UI assets, and that the algorithm you are using for upscaling is abhorrent. This makes playing on higher resolution panels a very unpleasant experience (barring the use of windowed mode), and i’m only talking from the 1440p perspective, i don’t even want to know what 2160p users are seeing.

All things considered, thanks for commenting here, especially if you really are THAT Feargus. As an IE games veteran, i really think you guys did an amazing job with this game conceptually, but im sorry, in my current experience, i think it’s broken.

5. SomeDuder says:

Warframe is a thing apparently, so that.

• JohnH says:

Same here, go Tenno! :P

• merbert says:

Mark my words Duder and John,

Warframe is a pile of repetitive poo, with uninspired combat and room interiors.

You have been warned!

• inf says:

Sounds like the definition of any contemporary AAA action game, should pull huge crowds.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Aw no, are people excited about something without your permission?

• inf says:

Just about as much permission as they need to give me to NOT be excited, being none. Opinions, even cynical ones, should have a place here i’m afraid.

• April March says:

WARFRAME *sheds a single, nostalgic tear*

6. Demon Beaver says:

I’m doing another playthrough of The Witcher 2, this time picking Iorveth and experiencing a completely different story, hopefully.

I can’t believe the fight against Aryan La Valette in the semi-tutorial already forced me to temporarily lower the difficulty setting! I know it’s voluntary fight, but still…

• ran93r says:

Are you trying it with the full combat rebalance mod? I found that made things so much better, perhaps easier?

• LaughingMan_CK says:

I just played it for thw first time, I needed to drop the difficulty twice, once in the prologue and after for a boss fight, did most of it on normAl

I did the iorveth questline, is the story much different if I choose the other guy?

• Zenicetus says:

There is a completely different middle section of the game, depending on which of the two allies you choose. Then after the big middle section, it dovetails together for a same-ish ending. Definitely worth a replay, if you can handle going through Flotsam twice. And there are alternate versions of what happens at the end of the Flotsam section too, depending on your decisions.

The combat does start hard and then get a lot easier, especially if you do enough potion crafting and know what to use. There were just one or two boss battles where I did drop the difficulty, but towards the last half of the game I had no trouble. And I’m not especially good at this kind of reflex-driven action RPG.

• Sorbicol says:

The Witcher 2 (unmodded) it must harder at the start until you’ve unlocked a few of the sword fighting skills. After that it is much much easier, boss battles aside.

7. prof_yaffle says:

I’m going to spend the weekend trying out the games from the latest Humble Indie Bundle. In particular Shadow Warrior and Outlast.
    I tried Shadow Warrior a couple of years ago at Rezzed and wasn’t all that excited by it. Playing it now, though, I’m finding it a lot of fun. I’m trying to use the sword as much as possible.
    I’ve only just begun Outlast and it’s already reaffirmed my wish that more games followed Into The Sleep’s example by giving the protagonist a teddy bear to hug when things get scary.

• prof_yaffle says:

There was a change of plans after finding the Stalker games on GOG. When I had tried searching for stalker it hadn’t brought up any results, but searching for shadow found the first game. Better still the whole series was 55% off. So I’ll be playing those instead.

• Kaeoschassis says:

GOG’s onsite search system is notoriously awful, and Stalker’s one of the ones it has real trouble with – probably because it’s actually spelled S.T.A.L.K.E.R, but I’ve heard even searching for that won’t work.
        Anyway, glad you found them, if you can get past the clunkiness here and there you will have yourself an absolute blast.

8. melnificent says:

Ironcast, just a couple of games and the next thing it’s 2 hours later and the sun is gone, rising, gone again

9. mattevansc3 says:

I’m getting stuck onto Project Spark. Quite chuffed with myself that I managed to create a simple spawning portal with a timer. Will likely play some other peoples creations to get some coins to buy more stuff to add to my game.

10. DrScuttles says:

Not playing, but wondering: where are all the Moomins videogames?

Somewhere out there is an alternate universe with an alternate me sitting down to play a crafty-survival type game in the vein of Don’t Starve where Snufkin goes on his winter travels and has to brave the elements until he finds the inspiration for a new song.

• YogSo says:

Well, it seems some of the concept art for that videogame has somehow managed to cross the boundaries into our own universe: Snufkin and Moomintroll.

• April March says:

I’d probably like a survival game about going on a Robert Frost style quest for inspiration. Though for all that I know Eidolons and Echo of the Wilds might be that.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Oof, right in the childhood.

11. povu says:

Shadow Warrior was updated with huge performance improvements and an additional boss fight. I’ve been delaying my my second playthrough for that.

12. Mud says:

Ride, I hope they patched the corrupted save issue.
    Not as good as GP Bikes but very enjoyable and much harder than MotoGP 14.

13. TormDK says:

Pillars of Eternity, Neverwinter (the MMO) and Dragon Age: Inquisition Multiplayer will be my three games this weekend I think.

14. axolotl_questions says:

Hopefully I’ll be able to spend some more time with Pillars of Eternity. I never played any of the old infinity engine games, so I’m surprised at how much I’m enjoying it.

15. Malleus says:

Having a blast with Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin. It feels good to not know again what will happen around the next corner. Some of the new enemy and item placements are outright hilarious… and cruel. I like it. :)

Hodge says:

I’m playing the Dunning-Kruger effect with an attempt to do something for Adventure Jam.

AdventureJam

17. Person of Interest says:

The thing with laptops is, when you spill wine on the keyboard, it also gets into the computer, and turns its insides into e-waste.

I recommend not placing drinks on the same surface as your brand spanking new laptop. Or perhaps perching it on a stand and using an external keyboard and mouse.

18. James says:

I will be playing the ‘How the hell do I clean the dust from my PC without breaking anything’ game along with the ‘Will a GTX 970 fit in this case?’ game and the absolutely timeless ‘Why does my internet keep dropping out’ game – that last one is fun for the whole family!

Also Cities Skylines and Mass Effect 2, maybe the odd bit of KSP as well.

19. Geebs says:

Dark Souls 2.

20. Museli says:

The plan was for Cities: Skylines to fill the majority of my holiday weekend, but that was before The Talos Principle went on sale, Scholar of the First Sin was released, and War for the Overworld reached a release build. Between those games, and Pillars of Eternity being really super-good, poor Cities doesn’t stand a chance.

21. BuffyNZ says:

Playing 7 days to die alpha 11 with some mates.

Pwetty!

22. cafeoh says:

I have this weird thing with every Souls games I played. I usually get very excited (bought scholar of the first sin only a few hours after it came out, I was at about 80-90% of dark souls 2 and didn’t have any DLC so it seemed like a good choice) but I can never quite launch it (only went as far as Majula).

Once you play it it’s an incredibly engaging experience where you don’t really ever get “bored” when playing, but it’s so intense it’s very hard for me to go ahead and say “okay, let’s jump in”. I don’t suck, and if PvP matches are any indication of my skill (at least when it comes to fighting) I’m quite good, but I always feel like I’m not up to the task, like I’ll be a disappointment to the game.

Dark Souls 2 it will be I suppose, at some point in the weekend, and a dozen hours into the evening after that.

zinzan says:

Already done a few of my PBEM Combat Mission turns, finished another CMBN scenario at last.
    Started a new scenario on Norm Krogers Operational Art of War…. thinking time kicked in and can’t decide what strategy to pursue …. gonna let this simmer a while.
    Going to play some Skyrim – probably ……………… though my HUGE list of unplayed STEAM games is nagging at me ….. I bought all this stuff because I really wanted to play it – so why don’t I play any of it??????????

24. Xan says:

I built myself a new competent rig a week ago, after 3 years of living with Win7 on a MacBook Pro Late-2011.

Now it’s a bliss, and first extended weekend to enjoy it properly.

Though I mostly play an older game, let’s say it’s something I wanted to play but was slideshow-like on my laptop – Borderlands 2. Enjoying it a lot.

Probably a bit of Ori thrown in, too. My possibilities are now endless, and my short attention span is not helping.

25. Henson says:

Well, I would be playing some more DOTA 2, except that I’m getting ping times upwards of 900. Is it my wireless card? Router? Time Warner? Who knows! Have fun!

I hate technology sometimes.

Grizzly says:

I am totally warring in total war: Atilla, as well as bouts of the usual racing.
    Tomorrow I can not attend folkarps.com – this makes me sad.

27. Luciferous says:

Think I might finish off the next bit of my relic quest on FFXIV, Then play some FF Type-0 and some Pillars of Eternity.

28. Paul B says:

Going to be playing Gone Home followed by Pillars of Eternity this weekend, as part of my year-long quest to shift as many games off my Steam to-play list. Good luck to everyone else with overflowing Steam lists!

29. SuicideKing says:

Arma 3 with Folk ARPS!

30. Continuity says:

Pillars, Table Top Simulator, a bit of Talisman on Steam.

31. Csirke says:

We’ll have a LAN party, which means a high chance of CS:Source

32. schlusenbach says:

Cities Skylines (I want to get that ‘50% crime rate’-building, no idea how) and my seemingly never-ending playthrough of the Baldurs Gate Trilogy (I just arrived in the Underdark, wherever that is)… Damn you, Jon Irenicus!

33. Sorbicol says:

If I wasn’t away visiting my folks this weekend I would be attempting to finish off Divinity: Original Sin. And not plowing on with Pillars of Eternity which I foolishly started last week.

It’s soooooo good………….

34. PearlChoco says:

Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect.

The final part of a complete Tex Murphy playthrough (starting with UAKM), and so far it doesn’t disappoint.

35. BreadBitten says:

I hope no one flenses me for this, but I just got Destiny for my ageing PS3 and I think that’s all I shall be playing for the foreseeable future.

36. Citizen Wayne says:

Heroine’s Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok

Apparently it is quite good, especially for a free game. Besides it is the only game in my steam library that will run on my laptop. I really need a second gaming rig for holidays at my parents place :D

37. Muzman says:

I’m playing Sunless Sea of course. It’s basically my job now.

38. Zenicetus says:

Pillars of Eternity, now that the worst bugs (I think?) have been patched.

39. Vandelay says:

If I get anytime outside of procrastinating about work I should be doing or friends pestering me to play more DOTA, I’ll be continuing with Divinity: Original Sin, which I am highly enjoying, even if I am still very early on. I do keep hitting brick walls with it though, were I feel like my level isn’t quite good enough to progress. Just gone up a level (up to level 6 now,) so hopefully I should be able to move into some more areas. Hope that there is an opportunity to respec my stats soon, as I feel I have borked some of my first few points.

• iucounu says:

You can unlock respeccing once you’ve found the seventh – what is it, soul gem, or something? Opens up a room in your home base where a vendor will do that for you for 1K gold.

Until that point, if you’re hitting brick walls, you need to either find some kind of side quest that’s worth a few XP and level up, or get better at the combat, which is heavily based around turning terrain to fire/ice/swamp etc. There always seem to be enough opportunities to earn XP tucked away to keep you progressing – I thought it was a hardish game, but well-balanced once you worked it out.

40. Mellifico says:

S U R V A R I U M; Ping issue is fixed for EU people and it’s super-great!

41. RSpace says:

Being away from home and my gaming PC always gives me a nice excuse to try out less demanding games on my Macbook. This weekend I’m enjoying Antichamber and Lone Survivor.

42. derbefrier says:

More pillars of eternity for me. Sucks us GOG customers won’t get the patch untill next week but I haven’t had any issues so far. Also rogues are fucking beasts in this game

43. liquidsoap89 says:

Dragon Age Inquisition will take most of my time (because it’s incredible), God of War Ascension will take less of my time (because it’s really not very good), and Rogue Legacy will be my podcast game (I’ve finally kicked my addiction to The Binding of Isaac!).

44. SuperDion says:

Finishing off Hotline Miami after a mayor ragequit.
    Probably going to play some LOL: URF and rogue legacy.

teije says:

Pillars probably. I got my ass handed to me by a party of boars last night – now that’s humiliating. Well deserved, since I was trying to clean out a map when already out of spells and low on health. A good lesson in knowing when to camp! It’s a gem so far, but I’m taking it slow, to savour it like a fine wine. In the interim, Skyrim for a lark and maybe some Cities too.

46. Shiloh says:

Vietnam 65, War in the East, Arma 3 (Iron Front mod) and Tropico 4. Maybe a bit of Banished and Skylines, and I’ve just started a new character in Unreal World, so that’ll need a bit of attention too.
    My youngest daughter is nagging me to play Fifa on the PS4 but, consoles

47. fish99 says:

Not much. Any suggestions for making a 3rd playthrough of Skyrim feel significantly different to the first two? (which used no mods btw) Itching to play it again.

48. Voqar says:

Pillars of Eternity, Heroes of the Storm, Bloodsport TV (fun game if you prefer PvE MOBA style gaming), and Star Ruler 2 (which is pretty damn good and has some slickness to it for 4X). and maybe a small burst of Dig or Die.

Gotta watch the NCAA tourney games too.

Gaming overload rarely takes a break.

I’m moving kind of slow with PoE too rather than pounding thru it and restarted at 5 to make a different main (went from druid to rogue since you never get a rogue companion and I like what they bring for utility and dps)

49. jezcentral says:

I’ve finally reached the point where I can go on the last mission in Dragon Age Inquisition.

Therefore I will spend my time playing lots of the side-quests instead.