Keep On: Euro Truck Simulator 2 Scandinavia Due May 7

Euro Truck Simulator 2 [official site] has long captivated Adam and I with its surprising mixture of relaxing night drives and compulsive business management mechanics, but the area it most needs improvement is in its scenery. I play it in order to slip into a trance of cornering and lane transitions, but I’d be pulled from my roadriding reverie less often if the view beyond my windshield didn’t remain so similar regardless of whether I was in Plymouth or Poland.

SCS Software promise that approaching DLC expansion Scandinavia will satisfy my hunger for greater diversity in my scenery and service stations, stating in a blog post that they’ve thrown more artists at the peninsula than anything they’ve released previously, including ETS2 itself. Check if they’re right with the teaser trailer and screenshots below.

Here’s the word from the SCS blog:

The asset variation across Scandinavia territory is unprecedented for our games. The man-power we have poured into creation of new models and textures is exceeding even the work invested into the original ETS2. You can see that the look and feel of north of Scandinavia is very different comparing to the southern regions. Forests, fields and lakes of the south are giving way to mountainous regions filled with rock formations, cliffs, mountain valleys, and long twisty tunnels – which sometimes have even crossroads inside.

There’s no mention of whether the whole region is covered in murders, as television has me believe, but I would enjoy playing a truck-driving detective in place of the original game’s small business owner. Desaturate the screenshots below and imagine it with me.

Click to make ’em bigger:

Arnvidr says:

I am amazed at how much more “real” this seems to me, mostly because the roads are as I’m used to from where I live. Looking forward to this expansion!

• Cinek says:

Aye. Part of the reason why I can’t get excited about upcoming American Truck Simulator… it’s just… meh

• aukondk says:

Similarly, as pretty as this looks, I’ve done most of my driving on Croatian roads and I feel a bit frustrated that the last DLC only came as far as Hungary.

Fingers crossed for an Adriatic pack next.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

That reminds me of that 180 Euro fine i got in Slovenja because i had no clue how you are supposed to pay for the highway. Good times!

Thank god at least the gas is cheap there, and in Croatia aswell.

• DrollRemark says:

As my old (northern) Italian housemate once told me, Slovenia is great for two things: cheap meat and cheap petrol.

2. Faldrath says:

Looks pretty great! I’m concerned about how the base game will look in comparison, though – since they haven’t talked much about how these improvements will or will not carry on to the existing content. They might fall in the WoW pitfall that every new expansion pack made the original content look so much worse that they eventually had to rebuild it… but SCS doesn’t have Blizzard’s deep pockets.

• Martel says:

I was under the impression (possibly over optimistically) that they’re doing a bit of a rebuild with the next full version of the game so hopefully they can build upon this stuff with America.

I for one would love more emphasis on scenery as that’s my favorite part, especially countries I haven’t visited yet.

• fish99 says:

…but the rest of europe probably won’t be getting a make-over to look this good though. American is a separate game.

3. Shadrach says:

No snow? You can’t have truck driving set in Scandinavia without simulating this:
    link to youtube.com

Remember to bring snow chains!

4. Cinek says:

They should call it “Euro Truck Simulator 2: Even Better Than Elite Dangerous DLC”

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Not until they add some combat too, for example ramming your competitors off a cliff, stealing someone else’s job or maybe working as an improvised vigilante against rogue ghost truckers.

5. Marblecake says:

Gah! Pet peeve alert!
    “…has captivated Adam and *me*.”
    This is easy to avoid. Just take out “Adam and”, then see if the sentence still works. Hence, “Adam and I are captivated” would work (after changing the auxiliary to the singular, of course) but “has captivated Adam and I” wouldn’t, because “has captivated I” would just be wrong.

(Sorry, inner grammar Nazi had to come out and play.)

• Alice O'Connor says:

You say “had to”…

• Marblecake says:

All right, all right. Wanted to. Was delighted to.

• Llewyn says:

On the bright side, at least he didn’t write “captivated Adam and myself.”

Those people ought to have their internet (or at least memo-writing) privileges revoked.

edna says:

Well I can’t deny that I cringe at the misuse of ‘and I’ as well. I shouldn’t, but I do.

On a brighter note, my favourite way to play ETS is to watch my 8 year old daughter jack-knifing across intersections. If I can do that with nicer scenery then I’m all for it.

6. dangerman77 says:

“…Adam and me…”

7. jellydonut says:

Those roads are way too nice to be Norwegian. Must be screenshots from the until now forgotten Swedish fjords..

Where are the potholes and washboard roads?

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

So many wasted opportunities, there aren’t even reindeers to dodge.

8. PsychoWedge says:

For the love of all the divine thingies I don’t believe in, I cannot wait for this to come out! I love Sweden, I’ve been going there since I was a little boy for almost every holiday. This will cost me a weekend of going insane with trucking and then months and months of leisure playing afterwards… xD

9. Gaytard Fondue says:

Reminds of all the Danish fjords and mountains.

10. Pantalaimon says:

Looks fantastic and I’ll probably end up buying it regardless, but I do wonder just how large this area of the game will be. My only real complaint with ETS2 is that for me it’s not big enough, I could do with it being 3 or 4 degrees of scale larger. I really wouldn’t mind if there were some longer roads with larger distances between locations. That said, I realise not everyone wants an absolutely mammoth driving experience, and so they probably got the balance about right, as far as it is possible to satisfy both groups of players. Still though, I feel like there’s still room for a Flight Sim-equivalent driving simulation out there, and ETS2 – good as it is – is not quite it.

11. Hordriss says:

Looking forward to this so much. I lived and worked in Sweden for a few years and go back there regularly – can’t wait to take my Scania to Södertälje.

12. alms says:

They’ll have to bump up system requirements. The base game already has fairly poor performance, compared to other open world games and the level of graphical fidelity on offer, it’s hard to imagine all that cool looking stuff won’t take an even bigger toll.

13. racccoon says:

Lets us get out of the truck and buy a sandwich a cup of coffee a few beers and watch a movie go home sleep crawl out of bed and slide into the truck and get the job done.

14. celticdr says:

I have ETS2 but I’m still waiting for someone to bring out a regular old car (or motorcycle) driving (or roadtrip) simulator… ETS2 could with minor changes be modded to one. I want to go for a virtual roadtrip in a car dammit!

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

There was the Beam something… BeamNG? uhm…

Ah yes: link to store.steampowered.com

Though i absolutely have no clue how it’s doing recently, and you might want to do some homework before splurging for it.

15. Tellus says:

Reminds me of the tourists every that go to Denmark for skiing.

Oh Denmark, why you so flat?

16. Tellus says:

*every year

Remind again why this site doesn’t have an edit function?

• airmikee says:

The edit function was breaking the website so it was disabled until it could be fixed.

17. Thiago Santana says:

SCS, please add the fog lights, we want the original displays of trucks, with running smoothly icons
    We would like to custom paintings with serial (Bluestream, Red Passion, anyway…)
    We thank you already.