Live Action Lore: Mortal Kombat – Legacy

Mortal Kombat X [official site], a game about punching peoples’ guts into paste, will be release on April 14th. You might think that learning how to perform all of the fatalities is the best way to prepare for the launch, and back in the day that might have been the case, but Mortal Kombat isn’t just a game about pulling your opponent’s spine out through his nostril – not anymore. It’s a game about the motivations that drive you to remove that spine. Prepare yourself:

Mortal Kombat: Legacy brings to life the complex and rich history of the gaming world of MORTAL KOMBAT.

FATALITY.

Legacy isn’t new – it debuted on YouTube in 2011 – but it’s appearance on Steam, free to stream, is a perfect chance to revisit a world in which cosplay is king, and even a seasoned schlock-watcher can’t tell if there’s irony behind the earnest tone. The most remarkable thing about the show is how many actors I recognised. There’s Michael Jai White! There’s Helo from Galactica! There’s the guy from Beyond the Black Rainbow!

Season 1 is available now – Season 2 is coming soon. I’m doing the whole eye-rolling bit, sure, but I love that Mortal Kombat’s world can be described by anyone as “complex and rich”.

There is also a launch trailer for Mortal Kombat X, which apparently isn’t a soap opera.

And there’s this, in which we see the Briggs family (Jaxx and Jacqui) hitting people so hard that the people turn into jelly.

They are the good guys.

1. Crusoe says:

I quite fancy a bowl of jelly, now.

2. zenmumbler says:

I feel that only Christopher Lambert’s Raiden can truly convey — emotionally — the deep and complex history of punching people’s faces until they fall off.

• Jalan says:

Then suddenly you’re reminded of James Remar’s Raiden and an alternate reality where his ghost acted as a coach of sorts to a Johnny Cage as played by Michael C. Hall.

• zenmumbler says:

I forgot about that one. Truly, the depths of the MK universe are beyond measure; I never knew that Dexter was a spinoff.

• Geebs says:

Lambert’s fake-laugh-to-stern-face in the original Mortal Kombat was Oscar worthy. By the way, is there a technical term for that? Arnold Schwarzenegger is another master of the form.

3. rustybroomhandle says:

Black Dynamite sure made him pay for his Kung Fu treachery in that trailer!

distantlurker says:

Can’t stand these murderpr0n things personally but horses for courses, or in this case, horses for burger mince.

5. Distec says:

Black Rainbow dude makes an excellent Quan Chi.

• carlo says:

While the Quan Chi is my least favourite Martini-based drink, I have to admit that Black Rainbow’s idea to throw in a slice of cucumber and half a pint of cherry schnaps did wonders.

6. iucounu says:

Excellent. I always thought the main attraction for Mortal Kombat was the rich world-building and narrative of it. Knowing that we’re going to find out more about the personal motivations of the blue ninja guy, or the palette-swapped yellow ninja guy, has got me really stoked for this. Perhaps there will be a third ninja guy, with a different coloured leotard (red?!?!)

Whatever they’ve got planned, I hope they’re pouring their resources into lengthy cut-scenes in which ninjas emote at each other, which will really help to break up the gameplay.

• reosarevok says:

Is green good enough for you? link to mortalkombat.wikia.com

• Camerooni says:

Red = Ermac (a collection of souls)
      Green = Reptile (as mentioned)
      Purple = Rain (vaguely related to Kitana I think.. a lost prince or some shit – has water powers funnily enough)
      White = Smoke (classic pre-robot smoke)
      Black = Noob Saibot (don’t ask)
      Chameleon = Colour cycling variant that has the powers of whichever colour he’s currently wearing (was a nintendo exclusive Khameleon on the 64, and was female colour cycling variant – funny fact.. only Mortal Kombat Armageddon on the Wii had ALL characters from the games history because it also had this Nintendo only character).

I have a vague feeling I may be missing one or two.. probably the extra sub zeros..

7. Jenks says:

“There’s Michael Jai White!”

Is that Steve Urkel?

• carlo says:

That stupid joke would warrant a slow golf-clap at best but I did laugh far too hard about it. So, take this here high five instead, please.

^5.

8. ArtyFishal says:

MK9 and Injustice really blew me away with how much fun they were, how well constructed their story modes were, and how content packed they were. Netherrealm should be praised for putting so much effort into single player content in their fighting games when other studios gloss over this aspect. And their fighting engine has improved with each iteration becoming more complex fast and fluid. This looks to be their best yet, and I’m really looking forward to it.

Remember Mortal Kombat has always been comedic. It’s slapstick, or rather, splaterstick, and they’ve kept that spirit in this iteration. See: link to youtube.com They create lively characters that are leagues more fun to hang out with than your average videogame character and then dispatch them in over the top displays meant to make us gasp and giggle. MK knows what it is. Netherrealm knows what it is. It’s fans know what it is. Somehow only its detractors are ignorant of this.

Remember to have fun. This is something I think this site often forgets.

• zenmumbler says:

If anything, this article and the comments here are having fun with MK too. MK is ridiculous and proudly so and bless Netherrealms’ soul for it, but to berate us for poking fun at MK and indirectly calling people here detractors and/or ignorant for not having fun in the prescribed manner is actually not fun.

So remember to have fun, it’s just a game (with a complex and rich history.)

• ArtyFishal says:

Aye men, Remember to have fun. And I didn’t mean to call anybody ignorant, I meant detractors generically, and I meant ignorant of a very specific aspect of one game series, not ignorant in general. So apologies all around. If anybody still feels slighted, we can settle our differences in Mortal Kombat.

• Jalan says:

Alright, it’s go time. I’m in Viet Nam. The future is NOW!

Yeah, that’s right. I’m bringing Cable Guy references to the table. That’s how serious about not being serious I am.