Early No Longer: Running With Rifles Is Out

How quickly moderately paced they grow. It seems like only yesterday that Jim was rushing over with news of top-down tactical shooter Running With Rifles [official site], like an expectant duck. Back then it was a promising concept with oddly murky art; today it’s fresh outta early access, as sharp-lined as a duck’s beak to look at, and there’s a launch trailer to prove it below.

Has anyone who played this during alpha returned to see how it is since sorta-completion?

This is the game my Cannon Fodder-loving self would have wanted most circa 1993, not because it trades sprites for 3D models and I’d have been impressed by the polygons – though I would have – but because it has an enormous campaign map upon which you’re fighting, dynamic AI so that none of the battles are exactly scripted, and a neat escalation from your start as a single soldier towards the point of commanding squads, calling in artillery and puttering around in vehicles. I don’t think there’s any game I played as a kid that I didn’t think could be improved by making it bigger, which is what led to my town-wide hide-and-seek game from which three children still haven’t been found.

Although they’ve already been working on the game for four years, developers Modulaatio are planning more to go even bigger still. Their post on the game’s Steam page mentions a promised “zombie mode” and one or two new maps, “at least”. That seems a fair feast.

1. Challenger2uk says:

Bought the game last night and almost lost track of time playing it. Awesome game, reminds me of ‘Army Men’ (and the toys I played with when younger) I sure do hope they don’t destroy it with zombies.

2. Zankman says:

Aww yiss, so happy to see this release. I remember trying the game ages ago.

It’s very fun, immersive & “charming” – don’t let the visuals fool you. Personally, I like them a lot, so, it only helps.

I just hope the MP community grows and grows! There would be nothing better than a huge amount of players on a single map.

3. Ross Angus says:

Surely this is crying out to be modded into Skylines.

• Beanbee says:

Skylines: Coup?

Coop action allowing you to rise up in the name of the people to overthrow the autocratic despot at the top who even decides Where the trees grow?

4. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Heh, it’s out? Okay, then. Well, it was quite enjoyable to play in earlier stages so I assume it still is at this point.

5. KFee says:

So glad to see it done, having a more than ever a blast with it now that the server are crowded!

6. Baines says:

The demos that I tried were all quite fun.

However, I always found myself kind of wishing for a first-person view option. Large maps with a dynamic war between large forces, with a ton of bots running around to fill the sides… There just aren’t any FPS that I can think of that are doing the same. I’m not saying that I’d rather the game be an FPS, just that I’d like to try it as one.

• SuicideKing says:

Arma 3 comes close enough.

• SlimShanks says:

I don’t even care what the problem is, playing more Arma 3 is the solution. I am totally no biased.

• SlimShanks says:

I don’t even care what the problem is, playing more Arma 3 is the solution. I am totally not biased.

7. Kaeoschassis says:

Tried the demo “for five minutes to see if it works” and was sucked in for a good hour, and found myself coming back to it later. I am sorely tempted to grab the thing, it’s a LOT of fun and the potential for multiplayer seems amazing.

Having said that, I recently tried to forward ports on my router for the sake of hosting multiplayer with my chums, only to discover that my router is so horribly set up that it’s basically impossible. If I got RWR it would basically be for that very purpose, so I might not bother.

8. Pantalaimon says:

This was already a ton of fun back in alpha so I will be happily downloading this soon to try out the finished game. I hope to see a lot more people playing it. I’ll add that the devs were always massively responsive to the community during development, so I’m sure this will be developed even beyond this release. They were adding in things based on individual requests and suggestions (particularly on the editing side). And yeah, unless it’s now completely different or not a thing, the game was very open to map creation using simple .svg image editing, eg colours to denote terrain, lines to denote buildings, height maps, etc etc. Very cool!

9. racccoon says:

good fun game.:)

10. GeminiathXL says:

Earlier this week I was thinking to myself how much I miss Sony’s Infantry. Guess this will fill that hole quite nicely.

11. hungrycookpot says:

I hadn’t heard anything about this game until a few days ago when I saw it pop up on steam. It was on sale and I thought the style was cute, so I picked it up. It is deceptively good. At first glance it looks like a stupid simple rts/shooter. And it is. But it’s also extremely well made, plays beautifully, and is tons and tons of fun despite its simplicity.